2022/23 Wednesday transfer thread...

Bring him in and loan him straight back out. What's the point of taking him out of regular first team football against adults (I know it's only Cove Rangers) to put him in an u21 environment. Stick him in National League for 6 months and see if he cuts it there, then move him to League 2 if he does. 

U21 games, the odd session with the first team, and an early League cup bench place will not aid his development. Show him a pathway 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, HoylandOwl said:

We’re interested in Hib’s, Ryan Porteous according to the Daily Record.

As I posted on the old board a few years ago, there is a player in there. A more than capable performer. However, he's the type who lunges into challenges too often for his own good. Seems desperate to be seen as the 'local lad done good' and enjoys being popular amongst his own hordes.

He's cheated a few times this season and last. Developed a disgusting habit of going down in the box, holding his head during pressure situations, even though there was fuck all wrong with him. Ref feels compelled to stop play and bring the opposition attack to an abrupt end. Some may call this shithousery but I'm not having that. There's a line and he crosses it a lot more than he should.

36 minutes ago, Reesh said:

He wasn't pulling up trees last winter though and was getting some scathing comments by fans.

True. But you would have thought those that see him every day could/should have seen what he may have been able to achieve. Of course they may have and potentially put scenarios forward but they haven't been made public.

He's still not reached his potential. I certainly don't want him to go but if he does it's fact we won't get what we could have rather than fact he's left that would pass me off most

11 minutes ago, Mark said:

True. But you would have thought those that see him every day could/should have seen what he may have been able to achieve. Of course they may have and potentially put scenarios forward but they haven't been made public.

He's still not reached his potential. I certainly don't want him to go but if he does it's fact we won't get what we could have rather than fact he's left that would pass me off most

You don't need to convince me I was and remain one of his biggest supporters.

5 minutes ago, KrolMong said:

He certainly looks Championship quality. He’s got a bit of everything about him.

Much like Jordan Storey did last season. 

I was thinking about the comparison with Storey. He did well for us but out of the 2 I'd go for McGuinness. Not that I'd complain about either. I just think McGuinness has a bit more presence. 

I haven't taken any notice if Storey is playing for Preston much

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mark said:

I was thinking about the comparison with Storey. He did well for us but out of the 2 I'd go for McGuinness. Not that I'd complain about either. I just think McGuinness has a bit more presence. 

Yeah he is playing and scoring for them.

15 hours ago, Mark said:

I tend to agree. Based on what we saw, Storey was a bit ‘nice’. McGuinness I think could have a bit of shithouse in him.

That said though. He’s not really had to, as his reading of the game at times is excellent.

Although as Reesh says. Storey has been scoring, he recently upset Michael Carrick and Middlesbrough.

I'd heard Mighten was going back to Forest so he might be the replacement. 

Started off at Arsenal, then Rangers B, then ended up at Derby as he didn't like Scotland. Was involved in most of Derby's games from February last season. Started in 9 of them and sub in others. 1 goal and 3 assists. 

He's very lively and direct and the fact he has recent Championship experience suggests he'd be a better fit than Mighten. Can't go back to Derby as Palace want a loan fee for him but they also want guaranteed playing time in his primary right wing position. That would mean a formation switch for us. Can see him going to Hull, though, as he worked with Rosenior last season.