What are yours?

Stranraer 4 Albion Rovers 0

May 20 2004

The Blues clinched the league title with this win

Barcelona 1 Atletico Madrid 1

Nou Camp May 17 2014

Draw clinched Atletico's first La Liga since 1996

Leeds 1 Nottingham Forest 3

Elland Road League Cup Semi-Final Feb 8 1978.

After watching Wednesdays decline over the previous 8 years or so, and the poor football served up, it was a revelation to see Forest rip Leeds to bits

Sheff United 1  Bristol City 1 (Carl Shutt) - 1988 Play Off Semi

United lost 2-1 on aggregate and were relegated.  It was when Third Division team played Second Division to see who went up or stayed up.  Think me and a couple of other Wednesday fans went for the laugh as you do as a 16 year old.

Barcelona 3 (Pique, Pedro, Sanchez) Malaga 0

Not so much a famous game but great see see Messi in the flesh.  He played at probably 80% but still ran the game.  Great weekend on a Dads and Lads trip from Half Pints footy team when lads were about 9.  

Croatia 3 (Suker 2, Boban) Denmark 0

Euro 96 at Hillsborough - what a day, what a game.  Hillsborough Park drinking Carlsberg before with the Danes and then sat with the Croats in top of West Stand for the game - crazy set of f**kers they were.   Davor Suker - what a goal.  

Went to the England u21 Euro championship games in 1984 in Sheffield. The 6-0 thumping of France in the quarter final at Hillsborough and the Final at the lane to watch Mel Sterland lift the trophy after beating Italy. 

Croatia Vs Denmark at Hillsborough in Euro 96 but a different view of the game from Hirsty. The Croatian's were staying at the hotel I worked at and had such a laugh with the team they smuggled me and a couple of lads onto the team bus in spare tracksuits. We even did the pre match pitch walk round. 

Wales Vs England. Wembley 1999. Scott Gibbs dancing through England's defence in the last minute to secure a one point victory, with Jenkins conversion. It stopped England winning the grand slam in the last ever Five Nations and Scotland's smashing of France meant they won the title on goal difference. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tylluan said:

Went to the England u21 Euro championship games in 1984 in Sheffield. The 6-0 thumping of France in the quarter final at Hillsborough and the Final at the lane to watch Mel Sterland lift the trophy after beating Italy. 

Croatia Vs Denmark at Hillsborough in Euro 96 but a different view of the game from Hirsty. The Croatian's were staying at the hotel I worked at and had such a laugh with the team they smuggled me and a couple of lads onto the team bus in spare tracksuits. We even did the pre match pitch walk round. 

Wales Vs England. Wembley 1999. Scott Gibbs dancing through England's defence in the last minute to secure a one point victory, with Jenkins conversion. It stopped England winning the grand slam in the last ever Five Nations and Scotland's smashing of France meant they won the title on goal difference. 

I suspect you'll be hearing from the Thread Police, Ty.   😁

• Haha 1

Been to three non-Wednesday F.A. Cup finals, and a lot of the Hillsborough semi-finals. Other than those the only non-Wednesday games I’ve been to have just been everyday games.

So, I think I can only submit one as genuinely being a famous game.

Wimbledon 1 Liverpool 0 - 1988 F.A. Cup Final.

Spurs v Wolves  FA Cup Semi 1981  Hillsborough

Not sure why my Dad took me to this 

Leeds v Doncaster Rovers   L1 Playoff Final 2008  Wembley

Bristol Rovers v Doncaster Rovers  JPT Final 2007  Cardiff

Lump these two together as good days/weekends away with my Rovers mates

Liverpool v Nottingham Forest  FA Cup Semi 1989  Hillsborough

Enough said

OK can i add a non famous game too?

England 3 Argentina 1 May 1980 friendly Wembley

Maradona!!!

Argentina came out to warm up and it was like a circus - they were all doing tricks and flicks but Maradona WOW he had the ball tied to his left foot - I'm sure it was part of the deal for them to play there

He almost scored an identical goal to the 2nd in 1986 but it just went past the post

There was a TV strike at the time so the game wasn't on but you can see it on YouTube

Not famous but some of note I went to:

England U15 v West Germany U15 at Wembley 1989 - Ryan Wilson, soon to be renamed Ryan Giggs was captain of the England team that day

Chelsea v Man Utd 2008 at Stamford Bridge - saw Kieran Lee make his one and only appearance for Man U

Torquay v Plymouth 1992 Devon Cup final (pre season game) - Shilton manager of Plymouth, Steve McCall played for Plymouth, an 18 year old Darren Moore was at centre back for Torquay!

Scotland 0-2 England - best midfielder after Gazza getting both goals in the euro 2000 play off first leg

England 0-1 Scotland - had Scotland had their striking boots that night, they'd have won 4 or 5-0 and comfortably gone through. That was the worst performance I had ever seen from an England team until Iceland many years later

Bournemouth 2-1 Grimsby Town - purely to witness the club legend that was Steve Fletcher score his 100th goal for the club that guaranteed them survival after their 17 point deduction

7 hours ago, Kingys Ginger Mullet said:

Not famous but some of note I went to:

England U15 v West Germany U15 at Wembley 1989 - Ryan Wilson, soon to be renamed Ryan Giggs was captain of the England team that day

Chelsea v Man Utd 2008 at Stamford Bridge - saw Kieran Lee make his one and only appearance for Man U

Torquay v Plymouth 1992 Devon Cup final (pre season game) - Shilton manager of Plymouth, Steve McCall played for Plymouth, an 18 year old Darren Moore was at centre back for Torquay!

He scored in a cup match away at Crewe too. 

I’ve been supporting Wednesday since ‘69 and have racked up something over 1200 games watched live, but I can’t even remember ten games not involving Wednesday. I couldn’t say any are famous, except perhaps for the fans of the clubs involved.

First game was FA Cup semi. 1976ish. Derby 0 Man U 2. I was on the kop with Derby fans.

Next season, League cup final replay. Everton v someone else. Suppose this could be famous as there aren’t many cup final replays any more. And this was a draw as well.

First league game without Wednesday was L**ds 4 QPR 3. A L**ds supporting mate dragged a few of us down Elland Road one evening whilst at Uni. I was bored: it didn’t have the tension of Owls 0 Shrewsbury 1.

Went to Blackpool away for a match between Xmas / New Year a few years ago. Blackpool was shut, the match called off (non League Fleetwood up the road managed to survive the cold,). Went home via Blackburn ( vs Sunderland, 3-3 draw I think).

After Wembley reopened I went to three L2 play off finals. Always picked the losing side. For years Rochdale would send me a batch of tickets for their Christmas lottery. I never sold a single one.

Two pre-world cup England internationals: Nigeria was one. I think I also went to Rooney’s 100th international. Hasn’t lodged anything of note in my memory bank though.

Add a handful of local non league games. 

Early ‘80s I lived in Coventry and fancied the season opener at Highfield Road v Man Utd. The only time I’ve ever walked to the match. Got there and it was a near sell out (should have expected that really). When I saw the price for the remaining stand, I thought “fuck that” and walked home. Nice sunny day it was. 

Living in Tinsley we used to go Millmoor if Wednesday weren't playing and there was nothing else to do.

Saw them lift the division 4 title one last game 

Saw them lose a cup reply at home to Stafford Rangers, SR scored when one of their players picked the ball up just inside his own half and run unopposed as all the Rovrum players were pushing for an equaliser. 

I'd have been at the Sty for thankgivens day but for attending a piggy fan's wedding. That was the next best thing, huddled around the radio during the best man's speech as the penalty was awarded. 

1973 England v Poland World Cup qualifier. That game that the Polish goalkeeper played out of his skin. England should have won by a country mile. 

1980 Arse v Stam FA Cup Final. Got free tickets because I was in the RAF. Trevor Brooking scored a great goal and against the odds Stam won.

1987 German cup final Hamburg v Stuttgart at the Olympic Stadium in West Berlin. Part of a cracking detachment I had to Berlin before the Berlin Wall came down. 

Can't remember too many games I've attended not involving Wednesday. 

Germany 2 England 3 2016 came back from 2 down.

Inter Milan 3 Udinese 6, was cheaper to fly back from Magaluf via Milan so took in a match at the San Siro, upset a local applauding Udineses 1st

Denmark 1 Portugal 1 Euro 96 was in crows nest

Argentina 0 England 1 at the Sapporo Done World Cup 2002. Beckham scored a penalty after an Owen dive.

Brazil 2 England 1 at Shizuoka Stadium quarter final. The infamous Ronaldinho lobbing Seaman from miles out (Ahem)

Czech Republic 0 Greece 1 Euro 2004 semi final in Porto. Got tickets at below face value from a tout who couldn’t get rid of them. 

European Cup final  Liverpool v Real Madrid at Parc des Prince - Mcdermott scored . I 'm on the telly as had tickets for the presidential box right behind the cup presentation 1981 I think

1984- 1985 F A Cup final Man utd 1 v Everton 0

1971 Torquay v Oldham first time at a non Wednesday match 

One that really sticks out in my mind is Hearts  V  Hibs New Years Day 1973. Went to this game with my brother in law as a way of getting out for a while the "ladies" made the special  "Neer Day Dinner"  (special Steak Pies from a butcher that I`d queued up for round the block the previous day ). 

We went in the Gorgie Road end and for the fist time at a footy match was searched by the police for cans and bottles . Outside the turnstile there was a pile of confiscated tins and bottles that was six foot high and wide between the sets of turnstiles.   Imagine how shocked I was when the first thing we saw when we emerged onto the terrace was a big lad with a very large optic bottle of Johnnie Walkers whisky and his mate who had two hands full of shot glasses , one on the end of each finger !!! 

The brother in law explained that the plod on the gate would have known that there would be no way that a scot would lob a  full giant bottle of whiskey at  anyone and  the  other lads wouldn`t lob the shot glasses as there would be nowt to drink it from .  Could hardly concentrate on the game for watching the big bottle being tipped and shared but managed to watch all the goals ------- Hearts 0-- Hibs 7.     What a day that was😆 

England 2 Holland 2 at Wembley in 1988, just before the Euros.

England 1 Republic of Ireland 1 Euro 92 qualifier

Manchester United 2 Arsenal 1 (AET). 1999 FA Cup semi-final replay at Villa Park (the game when Giggs went through the Arsenal defence and slotted it past Seaman). One of the best football matches I have ever attended.

Arsenal should have won it at the end of normal time, but Bergkamp had his penalty saved by Schmeichel. Manchester United then went on to win the treble of Premier League, FA Cup and Champions League that season.

Edited by Bellsview

On 17/07/2022 at 09:20, Tarquin1867 said:

One that really sticks out in my mind is Hearts  V  Hibs New Years Day 1973. Went to this game with my brother in law as a way of getting out for a while the "ladies" made the special  "Neer Day Dinner"  (special Steak Pies from a butcher that I`d queued up for round the block the previous day ). 

That wouldn't happen to be Bain's the Butchers at Stenhouse Cross by any chance? Their steak pies are legendary 🙂

I won't mention the match you attended though. Suffice to say, my auld man was there and I wasn't even thought of, let alone born, so thankfully I missed it!

2 hours ago, EastCraigsOwl said:

That wouldn't happen to be Bain's the Butchers at Stenhouse Cross by any chance? Their steak pies are legendary 🙂

I won't mention the match you attended though. Suffice to say, my auld man was there and I wasn't even thought of, let alone born, so thankfully I missed it!

I bet that 7-0's somewhere in your DNA though!   😬

21 hours ago, EastCraigsOwl said:

I`ve had to check with the wife, it was  W Christie of Bruntsfield place . She cannot remember the important stuff like the fact that I`ve had a season ticket at Hillsborough since 1964, but the butchers we got a steak pie from in 1973   -------   took her all of 5 seconds . 😍 

• Haha 3

England vs Portugal Germany World Cup 2006. 
Such a bizarre feeling as news was breaking around the ground from people back home texting saying Ronaldo had got Rooney sent off. A shit end to a cracking experience in Germany.

England vs France Euro 2004 Lisbon. Bit of a jaded memory of this one but Henry scored very late on to break our hearts but some of the best times following England at that tournament, great laughs with great friends.

England vs Argentina Geneva 2005. 
Won 3-2 with 2 late goals and, whilst this was an alleged friendly, there was no love lost in the stands that night. Cracking atmosphere, especially when we turned the result around. Also went on to meet a Wednesday fan in the pub after who was a cracking lad and I’ve known him ever since.

2 hours ago, Laceups said:

England vs Portugal Germany World Cup 2006. 
Such a bizarre feeling as news was breaking around the ground from people back home texting saying Ronaldo had got Rooney sent off. A shit end to a cracking experience in Germany.

England vs France Euro 2004 Lisbon. Bit of a jaded memory of this one but Henry scored very late on to break our hearts but some of the best times following England at that tournament, great laughs with great friends.

England vs Argentina Geneva 2005. 
Won 3-2 with 2 late goals and, whilst this was an alleged friendly, there was no love lost in the stands that night. Cracking atmosphere, especially when we turned the result around. Also went on to meet a Wednesday fan in the pub after who was a cracking lad and I’ve known him ever since.

That England France game I lost my shit at, it’s the only time it’s ever happened.

We’d been at a family BBQ and I was steaming and then we were up into Hoyland to watch the game. When we looked like we’d win and then didn’t, I ranted a bit and got chucked out of the boozer 🤣🤣🤣

4 hours ago, JBO said:

Zidane scored both😄

Free kick then a penalty

Must have been more pisses than I thought 😂

The confusion came from my clouded memory of Gerrard putting Henry clean through with a shit back pass. 

Edited by Laceups