Today/Toneyts Footy thread - Non Wednesday

image.png.7cf5913ae961eaf2d300c820132497b9.png

Overall last night's results were as good as we could have hoped for. Morecambe did us a huge favour, and I would rather have Rotherham in the play offs than MK Dons, even though I will hate it if they go up. Still 4 teams battling for those last 2 spots pretty much, and anything could still happen I suppose. 

Genuinely exciting run in for the teams involved. 

Very tight at the top now and the 2 spots in the play offs are up for grabs, I would feel a bit more confident if our away form wasn't average, that said two of the four aways left are at the 'bigger' grounds so could be to our benefit.

True, it's too close to call though - would love to be confident, I do think we'll make it but there's a massive nagging doubt. Would love to beat Sunderland in the final. my brother is a Sunderland fan, it would be an amazing weekend. No doubt we'll lose to Oxford instead...

Bloody hell, really hope Citeh don't mess this up now and let them scrubbers in.

Reesh it's an almost certainty now re Crewe. TBH pressure or not, with our home form we should beat Crewe with no GK.

I do think we need a point from the MK Dons game though.

Edited by Tank_Owl2,0

1 hour ago, Wawaw said:

With Rhodes and Lees 🤮

We were quite fortunate that he was very loyal to us 

Burnley made a £5,000,000 bid for Tom Lees as a replacement for Michael Keane when he was sold to Everton. Obviously Chansiri turned it down due to being part of the family, but I remember Lees mentioned the Burnley interest saying it was an honour to be linked to them and a move to the PL, but he owed it to us for saving his career.

Little did he know then, that the following season, he'd be having to do 3 defensive jobs in one that season given Carlos playing Reach as a left back and JVA impersonating being a defender. 200 centre backs and that's who we chose? 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Kiwi Owl said:

We were quite fortunate that he was very loyal to us 

Burnley made a £5,000,000 bid for Tom Lees as a replacement for Michael Keane when he was sold to Everton. Obviously Chansiri turned it down due to being part of the family, but I remember Lees mentioned the Burnley interest saying it was an honour to be linked to them and a move to the PL, but he owed it to us for saving his career.

Little did he know then, that the following season, he'd be having to do 3 defensive jobs in one that season given Carlos playing Reach as a left back and JVA impersonating being a defender. 200 centre backs and that's who we chose? 

That paragraph sums Wednesday up. Ended up leaving for free how many times over last 10-15 years have we l cashed in on anyone. Joao? Whelan? Brunt? Boughera? 

1 hour ago, Wawaw said:

That paragraph sums Wednesday up. Ended up leaving for free how many times over last 10-15 years have we l cashed in on anyone. Joao? Whelan? Brunt? Boughera? 

But on the other hand…

…how often have we said “we’re not a selling club”, “you don’t get promotion by getting rid of your best players”?

No doubt that our transfer policy (if we’ve ever had one) has been disastrous for decades, but there’d have been uproar had we sold Lees. Just as there was regarding the possible move of Forestieri. There’s a mindset at Wednesday, amongst the fans as much as anyone inside the club, that needs to change. 

2 hours ago, M42Owl said:

But on the other hand…

…how often have we said “we’re not a selling club”, “you don’t get promotion by getting rid of your best players”?

No doubt that our transfer policy (if we’ve ever had one) has been disastrous for decades, but there’d have been uproar had we sold Lees. Just as there was regarding the possible move of Forestieri. There’s a mindset at Wednesday, amongst the fans as much as anyone inside the club, that needs to change. 

I get one you mean but wouldn’t have been at uproar from me about Forestieri ( and I proper loved him) or lees. We need to start selling at a high price. Hence we’re in the mess we’ve been in in last 2 years or so ( selling Hillsboro for one) how many times ( not just under DC) have we had players been linked with clubs for big money and left for nowt? 

all these left for nothing or very very little when either been touted at big money or cost us big wages/money

Fletcher Forestieri Reach Hooper Rhodes just to name a few  

Rhodes was obviously the biggest failure. 

Lees, aside from maybe the final season had largely been very good. It shows he’s not shit that he’s doing a good job in the Championship now.

Said it before many times, those first 2 seasons we had him, he was fantastic. And even after then for the vast majority of the time he was very reliable. 

He suffered without Loovens, though too

Edited by HoylandOwl

12 minutes ago, HoylandOwl said:

Lees, aside from maybe the final season had largely been very good. It shows he’s not shit that he’s doing a good job in the Championship now.

Said it before many times, those first 2 seasons we had him, he was fantastic. And even after then for the vast majority of the time he was very reliable. 

Shame he was a fucking grass

15 minutes ago, HoylandOwl said:

💯