Gigs

7 minutes ago, 80s Owl said:

I fully agree with this, I did struggle with the new album but having seen the tracks played live it's totally grown on me now, you can guarantee if they'd carried doing albums in the style of the first one they be being accused of being one trick ponies by the very same people that are slating them for changing.

They would not have headlined three Glastonbury's if style did not change, or possibly reached the number of albums they have. 

Would be like a better version of The Reytons. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/07/2023 at 08:22, mkowlthesexynewversion said:

I saw The Cult at Scarborough the other night. Lots of ageing goths isn't a pretty sight. Tbf Ian Astbury was in fine voice and Billy Duffy was always a cracking guitarist.

Wayne Hussey of The Mission looks better these days than he did in the 80s 

I saw a double header of The Mission and The Cult at the O2 a few years ago, Hussey was great until he waved a Liverpool flag around at the end of the set and turned the mood, I didn't think Astbury's voice was great that night and he made a mess of She Sells Sanctuary disappointingly.

Pulp at the Arena on Friday, can't wait.

11 hours ago, 80s Owl said:

I saw a double header of The Mission and The Cult at the O2 a few years ago, Hussey was great until he waved a Liverpool flag around at the end of the set and turned the mood, I didn't think Astbury's voice was great that night and he made a mess of She Sells Sanctuary disappointingly.

Pulp at the Arena on Friday, can't wait.

Both sounded good tbf last Thursday. 

The Mrs really wanted to see Pulp in Scarborough but couldn't get tickets, ended up doing the expensive route of day tickets to Latitude next Friday so she can see - she makes no apology - her favourite fella from Sheffield 

Edited by mkowlthesexynewversion

On 13/07/2023 at 09:50, mkowlthesexynewversion said:

Both sounded good tbf last Thursday. 

The Mrs really wanted to see Pulp in Scarborough but couldn't get tickets, ended up doing the expensive route of day tickets to Latitude next Friday so she can see - she makes no apology - her favourite fella from Sheffield 

Went to the Hawley/Pulp double header at the Arena last night, RH sounded great and Jarvis is such an amazing frontman, great gig.

James at Piece Hall Halifax last Friday night, superb gig.  Had 2 good supports , Tom A Smith (I think) - good young band and he's clearly going places and Jamie Webster, Scouse singer/acoustic singing socially aware stuff, not as awful as it sounds tbh.  James themselves were just great, such a fluid visual band and they played a great mixture of old album stuff and the hits.  Outside in the evening sun, just a really good night.  They played 2 nights and the following night was when the heavens opened, they had storms and had to stop the set for 30 minutes - luckily we didnt get any of that.

A word for the Piece Hall - what a stunning venue it is, if you get a chance to see a band you like there I'd urge you to go.  The money spent on the refurb of the place has been spent well.  Also it's organised so well, no long queues for drinks/loos etc.  

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Went up to Edinburgh last month to watch the Killers. They can rock a venue. The show was brilliant with great bangs and lights at the end. Brandon Flowers is fantastic live. Johnny Marr backed them up. He's a miserable sod. Anyway he came on with the Killers and they did a fantastic version of This Charming Man. A great band live if you get the chance!

20230829_215820.jpg

20230829_220020.jpg

20230829_220127.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Few weeks ago went to the Brudenell Club in Leeds (my favourite gig venue) and saw Fiona Lee (acoustic singer/songwriter from Hull, I've known her a few years and she's just so bloody talented.  Girl Scout, from Norway I think and TheCoachParty.  All three were great and it was a top top gig.

I'm really enjoying getting back into watching bands I don't know a lot about in smaller venues.  That said, I've just booked tickets for The The in Manchester next September and Echo & The Bunnymen in Leeds in March.  

On 09/11/2023 at 12:20, BraddersTim said:

Few weeks ago went to the Brudenell Club in Leeds (my favourite gig venue) and saw Fiona Lee (acoustic singer/songwriter from Hull, I've known her a few years and she's just so bloody talented.  Girl Scout, from Norway I think and TheCoachParty.  All three were great and it was a top top gig.

I'm really enjoying getting back into watching bands I don't know a lot about in smaller venues.  That said, I've just booked tickets for The The in Manchester next September and Echo & The Bunnymen in Leeds in March.  

Go to lots of Gigs but never been to this venue.  Must give it a go.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/10/2023 at 09:51, 80s Owl said:

Saw New Order in Leeds last Saturday, a shame they parted ways with Peter Hook but still a great show and fantastic set list.

Went to the Leadmill on Tuesday to watch the play New Dawn Fades which covers the story of Joy Division, really enjoyed it.

I was at the New Order gig too, fantastic show but what the feck the support band was about ive no idea. Apart from the bee keepers I enjoyed them

13 hours ago, 80s Owl said:

Saw The Charlatans at the Octagon tonight having last seen them there 32 years ago, Burgess sounds great still and the band were on top form, good selection of songs, really enjoyed this.

My eyes (or brain) were not working right and read that as The Christians at first !!

Nearly booked this but spent too much on gigs recently and seen them loads.  Always excellent.  

8 hours ago, Hirstys 12th Pint said:

My eyes (or brain) were not working right and read that as The Christians at first !!

Nearly booked this but spent too much on gigs recently and seen them loads.  Always excellent.  

Unfortunately it's become a very expensive hobby.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Going to Manchester on Friday to see David McAlmont of McAlmont & Butler fame with his new venture with Hi-Fi Sean.  They're on at Band On The Wall which is a new venue for me.  I've listened to the album a couple of times and while it's no McA & B, the voice is still in fine fettle.

Then in March I've got Echo & The Bunnymen in Leeds and Drella at The Underground in Bradford.  Then a gap until September when it's The The in Manchester, so I'll be looking to squeeze a few more in.

8 hours ago, BraddersTim said:

Going to Manchester on Friday to see David McAlmont of McAlmont & Butler fame with his new venture with Hi-Fi Sean.  They're on at Band On The Wall which is a new venue for me.  I've listened to the album a couple of times and while it's no McA & B, the voice is still in fine fettle.

Then in March I've got Echo & The Bunnymen in Leeds and Drella at The Underground in Bradford.  Then a gap until September when it's The The in Manchester, so I'll be looking to squeeze a few more in.

Been looking at the The The dates, he's an artist I'd love to see.

• 3 weeks later...
On 07/03/2024 at 12:37, BraddersTim said:

Jesus and Mary Chain announced for Brudenell - March 21st, tickets on sale Friday, limited to 2 pp.

I'm all over this.

Going to see them at Albert Hall, Manchester - can't wait.

Got offered a free ticket to see Simple Minds at Leeds Arena last night, four rows from the front, still put a great show on and have a fantastic selection of songs to pick from, only Jim Kerr and Charlie Burchill are around from the original lineup but always worth a watch.

• Like 1

Picked up tickets for the Hacienda outdoor all dayer at Wollaton Park, Nottingham, on August bank holiday. 

Soul to Soul, K-Klass, Roger Sanchez, Graeme Park, Danny Tenaglia, 808 State, Ultra Nate, Smoking Jo and more to be announced. 

11 hours ago, HarrySpeakup said:

Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds

First Direct Arena L**ds - 2nd November 2024

Not toured the UK for 7 years

New album out on 30th August

Quite fancy this one, saw him at Primavera in Barcelona a couple of years ago and before that in 2008 at the O2 Academy in Sheffield surprisingly. Brilliant live performer.

1 hour ago, 80s Owl said:

Quite fancy this one, saw him at Primavera in Barcelona a couple of years ago and before that in 2008 at the O2 Academy in Sheffield surprisingly. Brilliant live performer.

Nice one

I've seen him quite a few times in the last 25 years and with Grinderman

I was at that Sheffield gig and it was amazing thta he played there

I remember someone shouting out "what do you think to Sheffield" and he replied "I like it, I may buy a holiday home here"

22 hours ago, HarrySpeakup said:

Nice one

I've seen him quite a few times in the last 25 years and with Grinderman

I was at that Sheffield gig and it was amazing thta he played there

I remember someone shouting out "what do you think to Sheffield" and he replied "I like it, I may buy a holiday home here"

Haha yes I remember that comment, brilliant he's much more humourous on stage than you'd imagine, when he sidled on stage air guitaring the riff to Hold On To Yourself I knew it was going to be a great gig and it was.

On 20/03/2024 at 22:10, 80s Owl said:

On my bucket list that too, let us know how it goes.

Absolutely amazing venue mate, wasn't disappointed, sound was fantastic, great view from everywhere as its a surprisingly very small footprint but goes high with all the boxes and i wouldnt fancy the standing gallery at the top, we were on the back row of the side stalls and can't have been more than 30 yards from the singer, dear old do for 1 night away but we'll worth it for the experience.

• Like 1

Last night at The Underground in Bradford...great venue btw, friendly staff & cheap drinks.

4 x young punk bands, all decent, headliners being Drella, who are from Bradford.  Very political.

Just a really enjoyable hot and sweaty gig, lots of fun.  Not usually my thing but I'd go watch them again for sure.

Friday night was the marvellous Erika Nockells who I've seen with Wonder Stuff, supporting Echo & The Bunnymen at O2 Leeds.

Again, a great gig, McCulloch's voice struggled at times but when it was good it was very very good and the band were just excellent.  Drinks prices were bloody outrageous though.

Went to see Jesus & Mary Chain at Albert Hall, Manchester last night, great venue and the band were superb, mixed a few later/new songs in the first half but really hit the ground running with and after Some Candy Talking, brilliant stuff.

The venue is next to a branch of the popular pub chain Albert Schloss so you had a queue of black clad, grey haired people in one row and very scantily clad girls in another. 😂

• Haha 1

On 24/03/2024 at 23:46, LiamOwl said:

Going to see The Libertines there in November. Never been before so especially looking forward to it. 

Off to see Little Comets in Leeds in May too. 

Robert Plant/Saving Grace at the City Hall tonight, being a Led Zepp fan I had to the rock god himself in action, he's put together a fantastic band and his co singer Suzy Dian has echoes of Sandy Denny, the sound was amazing as the band played a series of ancient songs with some Zepp tracks in the mix, despite being 75 now Plant sounds great, very enjoyable show.