Gigs

Saw your pics on FB - didn't look a huge crowd from that or indeed this. Could be misleading of course but I do wonder if there are now too many events compared to demand 

Any consolation there seems to have been a lot of negativity about the Guns N roses gigs at the Tottingham stadium 

Funniest bit round here is that a National Trust place near Aylesbury as had a few gigs on, Tears for Fears tonight at 75 quid a pop (no thanks) but a riot was nearly caused at a Michael Bubble concert the other night as the organisation was appalling 

Saturday night was Elbow at the Scarborough open air theatre. Not a bad venue despite the Ticket master app not working and having to go to the box office to get the tickets. Certainly helped the sun was shining, must be a different vibe with a sea fret or it pissing it down. 

Most of the tickets are in the seats which I am not really used to, but suited this crowd. Elbow did what Elbow do, singalong stuff and Guy Garvey is a good laugh. 

12 hours ago, mkowlthesexynewversion said:

Saturday night was Elbow at the Scarborough open air theatre. Not a bad venue despite the Ticket master app not working and having to go to the box office to get the tickets. Certainly helped the sun was shining, must be a different vibe with a sea fret or it pissing it down. 

Most of the tickets are in the seats which I am not really used to, but suited this crowd. Elbow did what Elbow do, singalong stuff and Guy Garvey is a good laugh. 

Was Deco on?  They're decent 

9 hours ago, Skamp said:

Was Deco on?  They're decent 

Magic Numbers were the support for this one. Played their "hits" so they were alright.

Strange gig though, well perhaps this is the normal and the gigs I usually go to are the outliers.

It was a good atmosphere in the end but it was a nice night out for a lot of folk. The music being the backdrop. Mrs MK demanding to have a gig where she can get in the moshpit again.

1 hour ago, mkowlthesexynewversion said:

Magic Numbers were the support for this one. Played their "hits" so they were alright.

Strange gig though, well perhaps this is the normal and the gigs I usually go to are the outliers.

It was a good atmosphere in the end but it was a nice night out for a lot of folk. The music being the backdrop. Mrs MK demanding to have a gig where she can get in the moshpit again.

You need to get back to smaller indoor gigs for the mosh pits.  Been in loads to my lads amazement in last year. 

Know what you mean about the music being a back drop.  Been to some gigs with people chatting and spending more time going to the bar.  Its generally the older concert goers rather than the young uns.

4 hours ago, Hirstys 12th Pint said:

You need to get back to smaller indoor gigs for the mosh pits.  Been in loads to my lads amazement in last year. 

Know what you mean about the music being a back drop.  Been to some gigs with people chatting and spending more time going to the bar.  Its generally the older concert goers rather than the young uns.

Is my preference - this venue was just on the tick list to do and Elbow were the safe choice for us 

Could be worse Simply Red are on soon 🤢

I know it's not exactly a "gig", but Mrs Eppers and I went to London to see "Tina" at the Aldwych theatre last weekend, it was fantastic, the story was close to the truth (if the recent documentary was the truth), and the 3 girls who played Tina Turner were great singers with such powerful voices.

I would recommend if anyone is thinking of going.

Scarborough open air theatre has always had the feeling of it being like watching a band play at the Lyceum. It's ok for shows like Michael Ball. 

I've been to a few last night of the proms type shows there and found you need a yard or two of ale to make it enjoyable 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, cheat said:

Just back from Richard Hawley at The Leadmill.

Just brilliant.

And his final words of the night? Up the Owls.

i was there too.  Not too keen on the Leadmill when its that packed, especially when you have 2 6foot 6 pissheads pogoing next to you.

But RH was excellent, as always. Thought Pete McKee brought something to the party too

On 12/08/2022 at 14:31, Sheffieldblue said:

i was there too.  Not too keen on the Leadmill when its that packed, especially when you have 2 6foot 6 pissheads pogoing next to you.

But RH was excellent, as always. Thought Pete McKee brought something to the party too

Bit of a double edged sword for me. Love the fact that it’s so busy in one respect, but it can make it a less than perfect experience.

Mrs Cheat’s only 4ft 10’ or so, and usually doesn’t see much at standing gigs. She had a nice view till a 6ft odd bloke stood right in front of her about five minutes before RH came on.

On 13/08/2022 at 22:36, cheat said:

Bit of a double edged sword for me. Love the fact that it’s so busy in one respect, but it can make it a less than perfect experience.

Mrs Cheat’s only 4ft 10’ or so, and usually doesn’t see much at standing gigs. She had a nice view till a 6ft odd bloke stood right in front of her about five minutes before RH came on.

My Wife is like a tall person magnet when at gigs so feel your pain.   

In a year of catching up after covid and massively eclectic music, we went to see Russell Watson on Saturday at the Yorkshire Wildlife Park. What a voice that man has! Incredible.  A mix of West End music and arias from his early albums.

It was a picnic gig with a nice bottle of Cremant and a picnic part of Mrs Eppers Christmas present from last year.

20220820_182426.jpg

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, EpworthOwl said:

Just back from Stone Valley Festival. Brilliant 3 days of .using. camped in the sunshine.

From the Jam, Stranglers, Toyah, Death of guitar pop, Duallers, Stiff Little Fingers, Ruts DC, Nev Staple,finale by Boomtown Rats. 

A great weekend ☺️ 

20220828_215812.jpg

What were From the Jam like ?  Last time I saw them they were below par compared to previous.  Wondered if time was catching up with Bruce.

19 hours ago, EpworthOwl said:

Just back from Stone Valley Festival. Brilliant 3 days of .using. camped in the sunshine.

From the Jam, Stranglers, Toyah, Death of guitar pop, Duallers, Stiff Little Fingers, Ruts DC, Nev Staple,finale by Boomtown Rats. 

A great weekend ☺️ 

20220828_215812.jpg

Was still only Tyber fronting the Dialers or did Si make an appearance? There were rumours he was joining this tour but I can't find any confirmation. 

They play Nottingham late September and Sheffield in November and was thinking of going. 

2 hours ago, EpworthOwl said:

TBH Ty I'm not sure it was the first time I had seen them. I thought they were great though. Really enjoyed them and Death of guitar pop.

I came across them by accident on YouTube ages ago when they uploaded busking vids they'd done. Quality band but never seen them live. Just got tickets for the Rock City gig

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I've booked to see these next Autumn in Manchester. Sort of me putting two fingers up to all the shit going on - Putin, widespread financial misery, Covid & other fun diseases and world changing weather - and saying I'll still be here and carrying on, if it's owt to do with me.    Two 'Southern Laydees with music coming out of every pore: blues, rock n roll, roots, Americana, hints of bluegrass and country. All with instrumental dexterity and am amazing voice when she lets rip with it. Talented sisters. Can't wait. 

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Monkeys last night.

For those going today it was very busy certainly all the way down the middle, and not the space used to at Tramlines even for the Headliners. I'm 6 ft and struggled to see much.

Bar queues were great early on but horrendous before Monkeys came on. 

Lots of Chavs there including a women in front of us crouching and having a pee while Monkeys on.  I am becoming less tolerant of people at gigs though.

The Mysterines were OK and The Hives decent.  Lead Singer made a proper effort and maybe Alex could learn from that but obviously too cool for any of that interacting nonsense.

As expected very polished from AM just lacking that spark especially as playing their patch.  Never mentioned they were in Hillsborough and just the odd Hello Sheffield.  It could have been anywhere they were playing.  My favourite as someone mentioned above was Body Paint whish was awesome live. 

4th time seen them and can't help but feel a bit underwhelmed each time.  Was Hillsborough though so had to be there.

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Skamp said:

Monkeys have been boring tonight. Not like 10 years ago at all.

Music journo saying that they'd gone too arty and arsy and should have stuck to the anthems that people wanted to hear. 

If Pulp are one of the secret acts then it'll be interesting to compare if they just bang out the classics. 

On 24/06/2023 at 13:21, Tylluan said:

Music journo saying that they'd gone too arty and arsy and should have stuck to the anthems that people wanted to hear. 

If Pulp are one of the secret acts then it'll be interesting to compare if they just bang out the classics. 

I understand the criticism of the the Monkeys performance but they are not the same band that released the first album as 18 year olds singing about going out on a night out.   If they had not developed or changed direction they would not be where they are now.  All the top top bands evolve with their sound over time - The Beatles and U2 are good examples.

Other than only playing 2 from the first album it was a great set list including 4 brilliant new songs.  The new album is exceptional.  

For me its more about the style with everything slowed down that affects the live performance in comparison to other Glasto headline slots they have had.  There is a severe lack of ooomph and feel most sorry for Matt Helders who is obviously having to tone down his own performances to keep in time with the others.   

Don't think the fact Alex had laryngitis in the week helped and think that toned it down a bit more.  Still musically very good though.

• Like 2

Not faulting anything you're saying and people attending the tour dates would be fans and enjoy both the new and older stuff. 

But this is Glastonbury and out of the 50k+ watching on Friday night how many were there just to do the robot in 1984 or hear Mardy Bum? The point being made was it's a festival, not a tour date, just play the stuff everyone knows. 

They did. There was only 6 songs from last two albums, including the version of Star Treatment.

The most recent album has been out 8/9 months, it’s not like it came out last week.

I thought the whole set was fantastic but Body Paint in particular was incredible. What a masterpiece.

• Like 1

Pet Shop Boys on the other hand were brilliant at the First Direct on Saturdsy night. Just like they brilliant last year at Glastonbury.

Elton John was pretty good last night as well. Strange outfit that simply just showed all the crinkles on the trousers though.

On 26/06/2023 at 09:36, Hirstys 12th Pint said:

I understand the criticism of the the Monkeys performance but they are not the same band that released the first album as 18 year olds singing about going out on a night out.   If they had not developed or changed direction they would not be where they are now.  All the top top bands evolve with their sound over time - The Beatles and U2 are good examples.

Other than only playing 2 from the first album it was a great set list including 4 brilliant new songs.  The new album is exceptional.  

For me its more about the style with everything slowed down that affects the live performance in comparison to other Glasto headline slots they have had.  There is a severe lack of ooomph and feel most sorry for Matt Helders who is obviously having to tone down his own performances to keep in time with the others.   

Don't think the fact Alex had laryngitis in the week helped and think that toned it down a bit more.  Still musically very good though.

I fully agree with this, I did struggle with the new album but having seen the tracks played live it's totally grown on me now, you can guarantee if they'd carried doing albums in the style of the first one they be being accused of being one trick ponies by the very same people that are slating them for changing.