Gigs

Stick your recent gigs detail in here, or any that you are going to.

After having tickets for nearly 3 years, we went to see Texas a month ago. Charlene Spiteri was very good, AND very funny, at times it was like watching a comedian. The gig was at the Bonus Arena in Hull, not a bad arena, all seating, we were about 6 rows back, so decent seats. Roadworks around there were a nightmare!!

Anyway, they played their first album first in an accoustic set, all sat very close togehter, then opened up the arena and played all their other songs. First gig since lockdown, I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would.

Comiong up, Killers (had tickets for over 3 years), Stone Valley festival, including Boomtown Rats, Stranglers, Stiff Little Fingers, Toyah, Ruts, From the Jam, Bad Manners, Sham 69, The Primatives. Then Crowded House at Scarborough.

53 minutes ago, MPB said:

Saw t'Monkeys at Birdwell club....very very early days....before they'd released first album...

Went to see Stewart Lee on Tuesday night at City Hall...he was brilliant...prior to that.....

Libs at O2 Academy

She Drew The Gun at Crookes social

Kasabian at O2 Academy

Got Yard Act coming up at Foundry

Then might pop along to Tramlines....just to see Sports Team and Coral, think they're on same day.....will avoid Sam fuckin Fender like the plague...!

Sports Team are one of my lads favourite bands. 

Get yerself to T'mill for Red Rum Club end of April.  Proper good live. 

3 hours ago, MPB said:

That'll be a good one, the BC Camplight...might go to that if tix left.....great venue as well!

It’s a new venue for me as is the Leeds one - that’s at Brudenell Social Club, which also sounds like it’s a good venue from what I’ve read about it.

Persuaded Mrs Cheat to go to BC Camplight (she was “who?”) as the Joshua Radin one is mainly her choice - don’t mind him myself though to be fair.

The Brud is a cracking venue. First time I went was to watch my mate's band. They reformed for the club's anniversary year and sold out within a day. Absolute banging night and I don't even really like their music. 

Good food as well. They do Pieminister pies. 

Went to see Crowded House last night at the Aware Theatre in Sydney's Darling Harbour.They played  lot of numbers from their first two albums which I think were their best ,a really good night  enjoyed it and nice to be back in a packed arena listening to live music.

Edited by Wollongong Owl
  • Like 1

On 31/03/2022 at 17:45, MPB said:

Saw t'Monkeys at Birdwell club....very very early days....before they'd released first album...

Went to see Stewart Lee on Tuesday night at City Hall...he was brilliant...prior to that.....

Libs at O2 Academy

She Drew The Gun at Crookes social

Kasabian at O2 Academy

Got Yard Act coming up at Foundry

Then might pop along to Tramlines....just to see Sports Team and Coral, think they're on same day.....will avoid Sam fuckin Fender like the plague...!

If you hear of any Yard Act 'spares' can you let me know please. 

First gig of the weekend last night with Paul Weller in Manchester.  28 track setlist and didn't disappoint but not as good as at The Octogen last year. 

What really wound me up yet again was the number of people there chatting constantly.  What is it with these people. 

Anyway on to the Sheds in Birdwell tonight. 

IMG_20220415_212723.thumb.jpg.c781bea6749bcf5ddff2b6bc51994360.jpg

Edited by Hirstys 12th Pint

9 minutes ago, MPB said:

Was Steve Craddock with him?

I went to a 6 Music event in Manchester in 2009, it was a free event and we went to see Placebo on the Friday night at the International....there were about 250 people in a fairly large venue and nearly all of em just talked throughout....Brian Molko sulked a bit and the band walked off 3 songs in to the set....it was being recorded as well!

Yes Matt, Craddock was part of the band, as was Andy Crofts and also Steve Pilgrim who has some decent stuff of his own. 

Musically, flawless and brilliant about from the fookwits either talking or being more bothered about getting their 2 Pint Pots of Lager for 13 quid. 

Be much more civilised in Birdwell tonight 😂

On 12/04/2022 at 11:37, Tylluan said:

The Brud is a cracking venue. First time I went was to watch my mate's band. They reformed for the club's anniversary year and sold out within a day. Absolute banging night and I don't even really like their music. 

Good food as well. They do Pieminister pies. 

Just polished off a steak and blue cheese pie, mash and mushy peas. Very nice.

• Like 1

Gigs coming up

Bob Harris and Danny Baker - City Hall

Lene Lovich and Toyah - Buxton Opera House

Magma supported by The Utopia Strong (Steve Davis' band - yes THE Steve Davis) - Band on the Wall, Manchester

ABC - City Hall - The Lexicon of Love 40th Anniversary Tour - I went to that tour at the City Hall back then

By the way ABC were not just all about The Lexicon of Love - their next two albums The Beauty Stab and How to be a Zillionaire wer both fantastic 

Edited by HarrySpeakup

6 hours ago, Hirstys 12th Pint said:

Get yersen off.  Better than pulling your hair out when Daz decides to play Shadipo at Right Wing Back and Paterson and Kamberi up front to build up their volume for potential Play Off games.

Well the bottle and half of wine that was threatenin' to get drunk got smashed in those last 20mins....how was the gig Matt?

• 2 weeks later...

Technically not a "gig" type gig.....but watched the Sherlocks last night at the match...last time I saw them was Tramlines last year....got me thinkin.....are the club missin a trick by not havin fan zones and bands playin....seem to remember Derby, Citeh and even Peterborough doin it.....

On 16/04/2022 at 17:10, MPB said:

Was Steve Craddock with him?

I went to a 6 Music event in Manchester in 2009, it was a free event and we went to see Placebo on the Friday night at the International....there were about 250 people in a fairly large venue and nearly all of em just talked throughout....Brian Molko sulked a bit and the band walked off 3 songs in to the set....it was being recorded as well!

Steve Craddock was in ocean colour scene ( I’m sure you know that but) OCS we’re actually Paul Wellers backing backing band  but went on their own (ish) 

My favourite amateur band. Good musicians and some lovely vocalists 😍

They are based in Oz, so I'm unlikely to get to see her them, so I watch them on You Tube. They do cover versions of popular pop songs, but they do them well.

A couple of links to their practice sessions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZdxkQ5jbUk&list=PLWqfVy5SJnC7vamzzgOsbJTYN47fnyKbI&index=1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqlciyIqGgw&list=PLWqfVy5SJnC7vamzzgOsbJTYN47fnyKbI&index=2

12 hours ago, Wawaw said:

Steve Craddock was in ocean colour scene ( I’m sure you know that but) OCS we’re actually Paul Wellers backing backing band  but went on their own (ish) 

Yeah, he's had a few session musicians that have gone into "bigger" things, Alan White of Oasis was another and there was a rhythm guitarist that became famous......so famous I've forgotten his name ...! 😁

Modern Nature at Sidney & Matilda tonight.....been told to expect some electronica and experimental jazz.....it could go one of two ways this.....an early exit to Industry Tap or could be blown away ....normally happens like that for me at on the hoof gig decisions like this ...

4 hours ago, MPB said:

Yeah, he's had a few session musicians that have gone into "bigger" things, Alan White of Oasis was another and there was a rhythm guitarist that became famous......so famous I've forgotten his name ...! 😁

Aye ‘session band’ rather than backing band 🤣🤣🤣

Hope the acoustics have changed in there, last time I went was to see Reverend and the Makers in about 2008, sound was awful.....

Footnote: the drummer from Kaiser Chiefs, who were supporting, got a bit of a hiding backstage, apparently for being an overly aggressive arrogant twat....or so we were told by someone close to the band.....

27 minutes ago, MPB said:

Hope the acoustics have changed in there, last time I went was to see Reverend and the Makers in about 2008, sound was awful.....

Footnote: the drummer from Kaiser Chiefs, who were supporting, got a bit of a hiding backstage, apparently for being an overly aggressive arrogant twat....or so we were told by someone close to the band.....

beacuase they're fucking shit? 

• Haha 1