Gigs

Talisk at the Greystones on Sat night....I know nowt about em but it's great gettin back into pub gigs again....

Then Yard Act at Foundry on Sunday, clashes with Charlie XCX who I wouldn't have minded seeing as well ....day off work Monday tho....niiiiice!! 🤌

Edited by MPB

9 hours ago, MPB said:

Talisk at the Greystones on Sat night....I know nowt about em but it's great gettin back into pub gigs again....

Then Yard Act at Foundry on Sunday, clashes with Charlie XCX who I wouldn't have minded seeing as well ....day off work Monday tho....niiiiice!! 🤌

If you hear of any spares for Yard Act let me know. 

Not much of a live music fan, the world's moved on from the 1950's.

Been going to a few 'anniversary' dance music nights and next one up is Fat Boy Slim on Brighton Beach in July.

Missed the 25th anniversary of Niche last year, but not sure holdinjg it in a woolworths had quite the same vibe. Old @Neville Facking Bartosdid a 4hr set apparently 

ETdiA0_X0AEc9K6.jpg.3c703505ce2c6127d085b005d24f2ac1.jpg

• Haha 1

Some tasty gigs, I am envious living abroad and not being able to see any live music for years. Just had a quick scan and Sigur Ros will be in Seoul this summer. Not my usual style but I can imagine they would be good live. Standing tickets from 90 quid...... 

2 hours ago, tomcore said:

Some tasty gigs, I am envious living abroad and not being able to see any live music for years. Just had a quick scan and Sigur Ros will be in Seoul this summer. Not my usual style but I can imagine they would be good live. Standing tickets from 90 quid...... 

Great band

11 hours ago, Andyben said:

Not much of a live music fan, the world's moved on from the 1950's.

Been going to a few 'anniversary' dance music nights and next one up is Fat Boy Slim on Brighton Beach in July.

Missed the 25th anniversary of Niche last year, but not sure holdinjg it in a woolworths had quite the same vibe. Old @Neville Facking Bartosdid a 4hr set apparently 

ETdiA0_X0AEc9K6.jpg.3c703505ce2c6127d085b005d24f2ac1.jpg

Just got date for surgery...that's fucked that up.

Two tickets going if anyone fancies it

Just done 2 gigs in a week - and at new venues to me

The Levellers at Aylesbury Waterside - actually a theatre but they take out the seats downstairs and it was terrific sound quality in there. Most middle aged former crustie audience crowd you can imagine 

Friday night was my old faves The Wedding Present at Northampton Roadmender - got a vibe of The Leadmill though the outside looks like some 70s local govt mistake. 

Next one is Mogwai at Ally Pally on Friday - never seen before  and never been before. Apparently very loud and I guess not much singing along more shoe gazing head nodding

I will disagree with Andyben though, live music is where its at. I can happily listen at home but like football being part of the crowd is much more fun 

8 minutes ago, MPB said:

Enjoyed that!  Wednesday get a name check.....ended up drinkin with (technically) the band in Doctors Orders pre gig....got a bit of a mention....!

The fame!! Forgot about Dr's Orders - we went in The Harley when Uni Arms shut. 

Yes, reyt enjoyed that too.  Surely onto big things. 

Did not realise they were from Leeds but will not hold it against them. 

Edited by Hirstys 12th Pint

12 hours ago, MPB said:

Enjoyed that!  Wednesday get a name check.....ended up drinkin with (technically) the band in Doctors Orders pre gig....got a bit of a mention....!

Did you catch any of the support act ?  Oh my words - my ears have not recovered.

On another note did not realise it was an 18+ gig so Fin at just 16 got asked if he was 18 as we went in.  To be fair to him he lied quite convincingly. 

On 22/05/2022 at 13:57, mkowlthesexynewversion said:

Just done 2 gigs in a week - and at new venues to me

The Levellers at Aylesbury Waterside - actually a theatre but they take out the seats downstairs and it was terrific sound quality in there. Most middle aged former crustie audience crowd you can imagine 

Friday night was my old faves The Wedding Present at Northampton Roadmender - got a vibe of The Leadmill though the outside looks like some 70s local govt mistake. 

Next one is Mogwai at Ally Pally on Friday - never seen before  and never been before. Apparently very loud and I guess not much singing along more shoe gazing head nodding

I will disagree with Andyben though, live music is where its at. I can happily listen at home but like football being part of the crowd is much more fun 

The Wedding Present are at the Stone Valley Festival that we are going to on August Bank Holiday at Thoresby Hall 

2 hours ago, EpworthOwl said:

The Wedding Present are at the Stone Valley Festival that we are going to on August Bank Holiday at Thoresby Hall 

Also at the Leadmill in September....got my eye on that one...

9 hours ago, MPB said:

Also at the Leadmill in September....got my eye on that one...

I think that is a Seamonsters album gig - same as the Northampton one the other day. They basically played that album in order in full without stopping for breath, then 2nd half was more a general playlist. As he mentioned he now as over 300 songs in the back catalogue to choose from and what I like is they will dig right thru that not just play the usual songs 

On 06/04/2022 at 22:30, Owling_Wolf said:

From the Stonedead website, pal:

"Newark Agricultural Showground

Lincoln Road, Winthorpe, Coddington, Newark, NG24 2NY

Newark Showground is a showground in Newark, Nottinghamshire. It makes up 200 acres of the former RAF Winthorpe Airfield."

There's an aircraft preservation site there, too.  In 2019 you had to drive past a Vulcan bomber to get out and they flew an old wartime DC3 'Dakota' around the music crowd on the Saturday afternoon.  Last year it was a WW2 fighter.  I don't know about the antiques but there's plenty of room and buildings for one: it's huge.  I think there's a livestock show, too.

I live 8 miles away from there....... 

So Mogwai last night at Ally Pally. Incredible playing and sound but a bit lacking in a gig atmosphere that I would ordinarily prefer. I mean you aren't going to go for a sing a long with em, lots of head nodding along is about the level of audience participation. Blokes just stood around playing guitars well but miserable fuckers at the same time 

Could have been worse though, train back out of London had a few with David Gray t shirts on, where it was apparently £120 a ticket 

I have just seen that this great city of ours is wilfully ruining it's entire musical heritage by allowing the fucking Script a stage to perform on ....a sad sad day....it really is the day the music died......

Hopefully a stray howitzer will knock the fuck out of the arena on Thursday night....

On 28/05/2022 at 18:20, mkowlthesexynewversion said:

So Mogwai last night at Ally Pally. Incredible playing and sound but a bit lacking in a gig atmosphere that I would ordinarily prefer. I mean you aren't going to go for a sing a long with em, lots of head nodding along is about the level of audience participation. Blokes just stood around playing guitars well but miserable fuckers at the same time 

Could have been worse though, train back out of London had a few with David Gray t shirts on, where it was apparently £120 a ticket 

Mogwai - proper band. 

On 28/05/2022 at 19:01, MPB said:

That's what I was thinking, to me Mogwai are a headphones band...very good musicians though....hard to go berzerk to I guess....

I think that was my conclusion 

Can't fault the muscianship and the sound they created, but it was a bit passive in terms of audience participation 

Tbf the crowd there who were loyal fans were more than happy with it, I think having seen a couple of bands in the preceding 2 weeks I know which I prefer 

Talkin of which, got bought a ticket for Knebworth on Sat night and ended up sellin it on.....I was there in 1996 and by the sounds of it the transport ain't changed much.....didn't fancy sleepin in the car in a Stevenage pub car park again.....piss wet through...hangin and coming down....

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
36 minutes ago, Hirstys 12th Pint said:

Don't think Weller is an outdoor gig sort of artist.  Plus if he can't be ars*d on the day he can go through the motions a bit.

Seen him twice in last year and Octagon was excellent and Manchester Apollo a bit lacklustre. 

It started very slowly, I’ll be honest. But got going eventually.