The Star is shit thread

Reesh

36 minutes ago, Teddy Nickelarse said:

Don't agree but what I've learned is that once opinions on players has been formed no persuasion to the contrary is ever effective. Agree to differ. 

Do you believe that Bannan can play in a standard 2 man midfield?

58 minutes ago, Tewksbury said:

Bannan is living off the past.

It's a different game where teamwork, physicality and discipline win games.

Yes, he can find a pass, but these days so can most midfielders, he's nothing special anymore. Definitely not special enough to have your whole team based on him, which is the only reason he's still relevant.

Whilst I wholeheartedly agree, there's large sections of our support clearly don't. Bannan has won numerous player of the season awards from various subsections of the fanbase (London Owls, "Wise" Old Owls etc.)

11 minutes ago, Tewksbury said:

Do you believe that Bannan can play in a standard 2 man midfield?

For Danny to decide how to employ him; in the team, the squad, off the bench or whatever.

We're  heading for a circular argument  though. Agree to differ on what he offers.

2 hours ago, Teddy Nickelarse said:

It will evolve dramatically over the next two summers with tweaks in January. With the raft of new players that we already know will need to come in we'll need solid players like Bannan, Vaulks, Palmer etc to help with the evolution though they may not be automatic first choices. I suspect that Röhl values them more than you do which is why I am co fident that they'll  be offered fresh terms - commensurate with their ages and value. We'll  know soon enough.

I agree with you  Teddy. Way too big a job to do all at once. What is it? Around 20 players contracted or loans that could potentially leave? Massive task to do at one hit with possibly catastrophic consequences, just too many new arrivals that just don't know each other and have to be inducted. Got Xisco written all over it.

Makes sense to retain a nucleus of some of the players that are coming out of contract.

Just hope we avoid what seemed to be panic signings just to fill holes like we appear to have done previously.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Alan Finney said:

I agree with you  Teddy. Way too big a job to do all at once. What is it? Around 20 players contracted or loans that could potentially leave? Massive task to do at one hit with possibly catastrophic consequences, just too many new arrivals that just don't know each other and have to be inducted. Got Xisco written all over it.

Makes sense to retain a nucleus of some of the players that are coming out of contract.

Just hope we avoid what seemed to be panic signings just to fill holes like we appear to have done previously.

The loans have to go back anyway.

Most of the others aren't regulars and those that are are over 30.

Get rid, clean slate. There are enough players still under contract to provide continuity and those are the players we should be building round, not artificially extending the careers of a few players due to misplaced loyalty.

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, Alan Finney said:

Yep. Most reaching end of terms will leave. Makes absolute sense though to keep good players with good attitudes to help, as you say, integrate the many newcomers that will be incoming anyway.

Edited by Teddy Nickelarse

26 minutes ago, Tewksbury said:

Get rid, clean slate.

Can't see it to be honest but we'll see. I'd personally be keeping Bannan, Vaulks, Windass, Iorfa, Bernard and Palmer if at all possible. although each one except for Vaulks has a case for being binned IMO.

I'm going to open myself up to further ridicule by suggesting we really should hang onto Dawson as well as I reckon he's about as good a number 2 keeper as we're likely to get on the understanding Charles goes out on loan somewhere to get some first team pressure.

Like others have said I'd be trying to get Poveda and Ugbo signed up and Beadles loan extended.

Four new permanent signings and 2/3 new loans coming in, how many does that come to?😂 Leave it with me, I'll add them up.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Alan Finney said:

Can't see it to be honest but we'll see. I'd personally be keeping Bannan, Vaulks, Windass, Iorfa, Bernard and Palmer if at all possible. although each one except for Vaulks has a case for being binned IMO.

I'm going to open myself up to further ridicule by suggesting we really should hang onto Dawson as well as I reckon he's about as good a number 2 keeper as we're likely to get on the understanding Charles goes out on loan somewhere to get some first team pressure.

Like others have said I'd be trying to get Poveda and Ugbo signed up and Beadles loan extended.

Four new permanent signings and 2/3 new loans coming in, how many does that come to?😂 Leave it with me, I'll add them up.

Edit- I have that coming in at 19 players without any new signings or loans coming in and with none of the presently contracted players leaving.

9 hours ago, Tewksbury said:

Of Bannan starts, Röhl will have to.

9 hours ago, Andyben said:

I've never seen him.moss so.many passes as this season 

9 hours ago, Tewksbury said:

Of Bannan starts, Röhl will have to.

We're turning into 'allo  'allo on here!   👀

• Haha 2

One of the worst 'own goals' of my Wednesday supporting life, in my opinion, lead to the best football playing era - the early 1990s team - being ended unneccesarily early. Simply put, half of the promotion, L.C. winning, Europe, 4 x Wembley side needed replacing for reasons of advancing age, taking manager / coaching roles elsewhere, etc.  Unfortunately, Trev somehow managed to lose us virtually all of the then first team, not just the necessary ones.  Whilst he then brought in a couple of good players, this action ultimately lead to him losing his job and - later - us being on the slippery slope to losing our status.  Too many changes, too soon.   (Big hints of similar from Xisco too: tons of new, unfamiliar players brought in whilst all of the established players were destabilised at the same time by changing the type of football to an unfamiliar one. Needed the former, probably didn't need the latter at the same time. Baby / bathwater syndrome.)

So, to avoid that happening again now, whilst multiple players are released and others potentially sold or loaned out, multiple others are welcomed to the fold by whatever means, lets not make the same mistakes again.  Retain at least SOME of the older, reliable players as foundations to slot the newcomers around and amongst. Then, when the newbies are (hopefully) successful, they can become the foundations to slot more newcomers around whilst the 'old faithfulls' fade away or ride off into the sunset.  Evolution not revolution. With our current manager and his team of advisors deciding and judging the pace of change.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Allways said that but it starts with BIg Ron . Big Ron worked to a formula, tried and trusted players that are going to give you 3/4 years by which time he has moved on. Francis carried on the same way but this coincided with the inception of the PL when all of a sudden a mediocre squad player that might have cost £500k now costs £3/4 mill,  we could not compete  and got ourselves in a mess ,the rest is history

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Owling_Wolf said:

One of the worst 'own goals' of my Wednesday supporting life, in my opinion, lead to the best football playing era - the early 1990s team - being ended unneccesarily early. Simply put, half of the promotion, L.C. winning, Europe, 4 x Wembley side needed replacing for reasons of advancing age, taking manager / coaching roles elsewhere, etc.  Unfortunately, Trev somehow managed to lose us virtually all of the then first team, not just the necessary ones.  Whilst he then brought in a couple of good players, this action ultimately lead to him losing his job and - later - us being on the slippery slope to losing our status.  Too many changes, too soon.   (Big hints of similar from Xisco too: tons of new, unfamiliar players brought in whilst all of the established players were destabilised at the same time by changing the type of football to an unfamiliar one. Needed the former, probably didn't need the latter at the same time. Baby / bathwater syndrome.)

So, to avoid that happening again now, whilst multiple players are released and others potentially sold or loaned out, multiple others are welcomed to the fold by whatever means, lets not make the same mistakes again.  Retain at least SOME of the older, reliable players as foundations to slot the newcomers around and amongst. Then, when the newbies are (hopefully) successful, they can become the foundations to slot more newcomers around whilst the 'old faithfulls' fade away or ride off into the sunset.  Evolution not revolution. With our current manager and his team of advisors deciding and judging the pace of change.

I accept the thinking, but there have probably equally been times that players have been retained and its backfired. The likes of Lee and Hutchinson in recent times, decent players but with appaling injury records and general lack of availability.

Notwithstanding the assertions that it can become a powerful clique that undermines the manager - possibly both those reasons were behind Francis decisions.

I never have strong views as to an individual player, if they leave so be it, if they choose not to join so be it. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, mkowl said:

I accept the thinking, but there have probably equally been times that players have been retained and its backfired. The likes of Lee and Hutchinson in recent times, decent players but with appaling injury records and general lack of availability.

Notwithstanding the assertions that it can become a powerful clique that undermines the manager - possibly both those reasons were behind Francis decisions.

I never have strong views as to an individual player, if they leave so be it, if they choose not to join so be it. 

We know though that there are necessarily going to be a raft of changes anyway. It's about balance too. Keeping injury prone players is a huge risk certainly( exceptions like Luongo/Ipswich are rare) and this makes cutting the likes of Byers loose ostensibly prudent..... and indeed raises questions over Windass. It surely makes sense though to retain a core of solid, proven performers at this level, to help smooth the evolutionary process. Too much too soon is as fraught with risk as overly clinging to the past.

3 hours ago, mkowl said:

Disagree about Lee, there was nothing wrong with his injury record until Carlos ran him into the ground.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BraddersTim said:

Disagree about Lee, there was nothing wrong with his injury record until Carlos ran him into the ground.

Well that was Carlos the **** for you 

33 minutes ago, BraddersTim said:

Not so - he had injury problems at Man Utd that's why he ended up playing fullback  at Oldham which was a less demanding role .   Things finally caught up with him but not helped by Carlos bringing him back too early and over using him

14 hours ago, Owling_Wolf said:

Too many changes, too soon.   (Big hints of similar from Xisco too: tons of new, unfamiliar players brought in whilst all of the established players were destabilised at the same time by changing the type of football to an unfamiliar one. Needed the former, probably didn't need the latter at the same time. Baby / bathwater syndrome.)

There did seem to be a bit of an us and them syndrome develop between the existing and new players when Xisco got the job. The evolution v revolution you mention is spot on, changing too much in a short time can be disastrous, we've seen it before and not too long ago.

As Steve Hyett might have put it, "I'm here to help." Says Xisco Munoz with the ominous air of Norman Wisdom turning up to do a night shift at the firework factory. 

10 minutes ago, Andyben said:

Nobody ever remembers season two of The Mighty Ducks or Jossys Giants  tho... Which is what we effectively were last time round under DR 

Try it when it's quiet.

Half the time it will just get lost in the crowd, they still get loads of tweets and replies.

I've had a few replies from both about random stuff, but they can come at odd times.

17 minutes ago, Tewksbury said:

Try it when it's quiet.

Half the time it will just get lost in the crowd, they still get loads of tweets and replies.

I've had a few replies from both about random stuff, but they can come at odd times.

image.gif.6627c434ffd6dc9d700890d37a6eecf1.gif

I think (some) Wednesday fans are the only ones that don't appreciate Bannan. That lad has been the only one to stay around when he could've easily gone like many others and has dragged us through games with his commitment and attitude. Might not have got the goals and assists he and we would like this season  but he's assisted many an assist.

Easily deserving of a new contract.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Reesh said:

Screenshot_20240521_074450_Chrome.thumb.jpg.10506461a2148075a02ab14f393bd5d1.jpg

More stunning shitstirring

Slow news day I've just told Crann. 

21st May today with season not starting till 10/11 August, all clubs that have released loads of players will have a small squads of players at moment. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, bradowl said:

21st May today with season not starting till 10/11 August, all clubs that have released loads of players will have a small squads of players at moment. 

Morecambe have 5 players apparently 

2 hours ago, bradowl said:

Yes, I've seen that and you got an answer from him as well.

I asked a question of him and miller a couple of weeks ago and got no reply but I was respectful in the questions. I've previously asked questions whilst having a pop and they did answer.

So, if you want an answer from them it's best to have a go at them in the question and they're quick to defend themselves. Not so with Staton though, he just blocks you, spoilsport he is.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Reesh said:

Screenshot_20240521_074450_Chrome.thumb.jpg.10506461a2148075a02ab14f393bd5d1.jpg

More stunning shitstirring

I presume they haven't provided any comparison to the picture at other local teams? Rotherham had 12 out of contract and have only offered to 1 so can't have too many more surely?!

16 minutes ago, Otto_Man said:

I presume they haven't provided any comparison to the picture at other local teams? Rotherham had 12 out of contract and have only offered to 1 so can't have too many more surely?!

Have they fuck, they aren't off Owlstalk long enough to.

Soon be rid of Creepy Crann thank fuck.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Alan Finney said:

So, if you want an answer from them it's best to have a go at them in the question and they're quick to defend themselves. Not so with Staton though, he just blocks you, spoilsport he is.

Yep......... more likely anti DC agenda driven than just spoilsport IMO though.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Teddy Nickelarse said:

Yep......... more likely anti DC agenda driven than just spoilsport IMO though.

Reckon that prick Staton is a part of  the 1867 bell ends. Always bangs on abart em and OTT anti DC in his commentary and on wireless. 

Right at the start he was pushing em and quick to air their view even though nobody knew/ knows who they are

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Ozzie said:

nobody knew/ knows who they are

Thought one of the instigators was named and shamed on here the other week. I can't remember his name and I won't state his OO u/n as he came across as a bit paranoid and I wouldn't want him accusing me of being besotted with him like he accused some as I don't know the bloke, or lady come to that.

Ref the paranoid thing, I must state I'm not medically trained to make that assertion, it was just how he came across.

1 hour ago, Alan Finney said:

Ref the paranoid thing, I must state I'm not medically trained to make that assertion, it was just how he came across.

Re paranoia,I was once told ‘just because you think everyone is out to get you,it doesn’t necessarily mean that you’re wrong’.

It wasn’t an accusation either,before anyone says anything.

2 hours ago, Ozzie said:

Reckon that prick Staton is a part of  the 1867 bell ends. Always bangs on abart em and OTT anti DC in his commentary and on wireless. 

Right at the start he was pushing em and quick to air their view even though nobody knew/ knows who they are

Stalk sympathiser, along with Miller and Crann, getting frustrated now his mate Shaw fucked up.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, bradowl said:

thought Danny was under contract for another 12 months

Chris Powell in his interview, with the Star, about his own contract mentions everyone but him signed 2 1/2 year deals. 

But Crann always fails to mention that when writing drivel like this. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Tylluan said:

Chris Powell in his interview, with the Star, about his own contract mentions everyone but him signed 2 1/2 year deals. 

But Crann always fails to mention that when writing drivel like this. 

So to the end of the 26 season then?