A New Group of Attention Seekers

On 06/12/2023 at 13:07, Andyben said:

I'd seriously consider employing Simon Jordan or similar as CEO and not get involved with day to day stuff.

On 06/12/2023 at 13:18, Andyben said:

He's learnt his lesson and be different as an employee of a club he didn't support.

Less emotional attachment so more objective decision making.

Ahem 

• Haha 2

Remember when it was Chansiri fault for Leeds charging us £47 or whatever and the group used as another reason to beat him with.

Well Sunderland charged Leeds fans £30 this season and they got rewarded with a £47 charge also …

Still Leeds did nothing wrong according to lots it was all DC fault. 

7 hours ago, holmesfield_owl said:

Tell me there's no protest tomorrow please?

Well I may be told to go to the shops by Mrs MK when I don't want to, so I might protest that. Like Chansiri she won't listen

Considering we were 4 pts behind the Pigs in 2011/12 with just 3 games left, I can't see how anyone could possibly give up on 2023/24 at this stage.

Granted in that particular season we were up the top end of the table and, therefore, more likely to gain positive results. However, come on to fuck. What's with all the wishy-washy, white flag waving attitudes nowadays? Are folk really that desperate to be noticed on social media?

• Like 6

1 hour ago, EastCraigsOwl said:

Considering we were 4 pts behind the Pigs in 2011/12 with just 3 games left, I can't see how anyone could possibly give up on 2023/24 at this stage.

Granted in that particular season we were up the top end of the table and, therefore, more likely to gain positive results. However, come on to fuck. What's with all the wishy-washy, white flag waving attitudes nowadays? Are folk really that desperate to be noticed on social media?

While it seems unlikely, I’m far from thinking it’s over. We’ve got to win. That’s it. Do what we can; and then see what happens elsewhere. If we don’t do it, then we’ve only ourselves to blame.

People can point fingers at DC, and the appointment of Munoz. Rightly so.

But the team have to take accountability too. Look at the games such as Swansea at home, Cardiff at home, and last weekend. 
Games we had in our hands, were in the ascendancy that we didn’t win. If ONE of those games had resulted in three points, then we’d be on a different footing. 

So.

Pull your fingers out lads, make the points that matter, when they matter the most. 

• Like 4

I don’t think it’s over yet either, but I still look back to Millwall at home and Huddersfield away in horror. I thought even back then that if we were to go down, those were the two games that rammed a couple of nails in our relegation coffin. It wasn’t just losing to them, it’s what it did for our (and their) goal difference.

But while there’s still points to play for, we’re still in with a chance to stay up. I wrote us off after Peterborough away in the playoffs last season and we know what happened then.

Plus when do Wednesday ever do anything the easy way?

I have put this in here just to try and keep it under the radar.

Get ready for tonight's TV (I presume).

They have been either filming or taking photos at the back of Leppings Lane today.

46 minutes ago, MAL said:

I have put this in here just to try and keep it under the radar.

Get ready for tonight's TV (I presume).

They have been either filming or taking photos at the back of Leppings Lane today.

Anniversary of the disaster.

33 minutes ago, MAL said:

Yes

I can understand why the families come. 

But how many others have TV coverage every time?

I suspect it's due to a mixture of:

1. It's the 35th anniversary. Years ending 0 and 5 are generally more talked about than others;

2. Nottingham Forest have recently mentioned they may install some kind of memorial (possibly prompted by the guff on the BBC website last week); and

3. Liverpool lost yesterday (and Thursday), so their disaster richter scale has been ramped up even higher than it would be at this time of year.

• Like 2

If we eventually knock that stand down then perhaps the story, in part, will move on.

The King's Cross fire was horrendous, but the station was re-designed and its not your main thought if you go there. If you go on a ferry you don't think Zeebrugge, you don't catch a plane think Lockerbie. 

The legacy of Hillsborough was always more than the days event, but the fact the structure where the event occurred is still bar a few tweaks the same does not help it to fade 

17 minutes ago, mkowl said:

If we eventually knock that stand down then perhaps the story, in part, will move on.

The King's Cross fire was horrendous, but the station was re-designed and its not your main thought if you go there. If you go on a ferry you don't think Zeebrugge, you don't catch a plane think Lockerbie. 

The legacy of Hillsborough was always more than the days event, but the fact the structure where the event occurred is still bar a few tweaks the same does not help it to fade 

Can’t disagree

I have read a Mail article this morning which doubles down on our stadium, with references to their previous attacks from when we played Newcastle last season.

It’s as inflammatory as ever, there’s a bit in there about a pissed up Norwich fan. It throws in a thing about the steward being courteous, but then hammers the club for the away fans not being able to sit where they want. Right. So we’re in the wrong as a pissed up fan can’t go where they want to?

The away end is crap, I’m not denying that. As already said, I do think that things should have changed massively but the reasons for that not happening as mentioned before are complex.

I find it quite ‘interesting’ that there’s not a raft of journalists hammering the away end constantly, there’s not a raft of complaints, or constant reporting of these inadequacies from the SGSA. I’m not saying there aren’t things that need changing, they do, there are parts of the stadium which need changing but if it was as bad as suggested, then the stadium would be closed down by the authorities. And if it is that bad and it’s not being closed… isn’t there a bigger problem that the authorities in charge aren’t doing their job as  well?

Anyway. One good thing in the article, the ‘news’ outlet has been banned from Hillsborough. 

5 hours ago, HoylandOwl said:

I have read a Mail article this morning which doubles down on our stadium, with references to their previous attacks from when we played Newcastle last season.

It’s as inflammatory as ever, there’s a bit in there about a pissed up Norwich fan. It throws in a thing about the steward being courteous, but then hammers the club for the away fans not being able to sit where they want. Right. So we’re in the wrong as a pissed up fan can’t go where they want to?

The away end is crap, I’m not denying that. As already said, I do think that things should have changed massively but the reasons for that not happening as mentioned before are complex.

I find it quite ‘interesting’ that there’s not a raft of journalists hammering the away end constantly, there’s not a raft of complaints, or constant reporting of these inadequacies from the SGSA. I’m not saying there aren’t things that need changing, they do, there are parts of the stadium which need changing but if it was as bad as suggested, then the stadium would be closed down by the authorities. And if it is that bad and it’s not being closed… isn’t there a bigger problem that the authorities in charge aren’t doing their job as  well?

Anyway. One good thing in the article, the ‘news’ outlet has been banned from Hillsborough. 

I've not been on the Lep in years and, excepting the newer stadiums in the championship, it certainly doesn't look any worse than any other away end. Out of interest do they mention the away end at Ipswich given someone fell from the top tier there earlier this season?

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

QPR away end is an accident waiting to happen. 

The point is all the concourses are "safe" if folk follow the instructions, are patient and go with the flow, don't congregate. But invariably that does not happen, particularly pre game and HT

I mean at QPR getting to the turnstile was fine, then actually queued up the stairs, hardly moved at the top, luckily i was in Y6 the first gangway. Young un needed a piss - so he went in that entrance and walked down the rows to Y5 or even maybe Y4 to get further across to get to the toilet 

Of course as none of this is apparent from a journalist in the press box, they don't report on it

I said after the game it was interesting to observe MK Jr - because he had previous little experience of "old school away ends"

• Like 1

It’s common to have memorials in the place where tragic events took place, and also in a place where those who lost their lives were from.

But having a memorial in Nottingham, sorry I’m not having that. I’m sure some of their fans were affected in a way but that doesn’t mean you put a memorial up. Almost feels a bit voyeuristic actually. 

There were plenty of people from Sheffield there as neutrals who were worse affected and whose stories have never really been told (like a fairly distant family member of mine who was policing on the Lepp and never got over it). 

56 minutes ago, Chelters said:

It’s common to have memorials in the place where tragic events took place, and also in a place where those who lost their lives were from.

But having a memorial in Nottingham, sorry I’m not having that. I’m sure some of their fans were affected in a way but that doesn’t mean you put a memorial up. Almost feels a bit voyeuristic actually. 

There were plenty of people from Sheffield there as neutrals who were worse affected and whose stories have never really been told (like a fairly distant family member of mine who was policing on the Lepp and never got over it). 

As others have said the Diana effect really. Continuing the theme from another thread, if you grew up in an earlier era your understanding / outlook was shaped by your parents and older relatives. My Dad as an example was 10 at the end of the 2nd world war, perhaps too young but he had memories of the bombing and air raid shelters. My Mum and her cousin told great tales of the tanks rolling out of the factories in Chapeltown.

Shit happens. Get on with it. That was the prevailing attitude, you learnt that approach but the public outpouring of grief in relation to Diana was very different. 

So it's probably right people talk about these events, but does it amplify it or ease it. 

As I navigate to this site on my phone, I get other "news" stories that I am guessing some algorithm selects. Usually about some impending snow event that never materialises. But there was a Wednesday one, referencing the Mail article that kid you not was headlined "Wednesday stadium deemed inadequate since Chansiri bought it in 2019".

I mean I don't know where to start on de-constructing that argument 

9 minutes ago, mkowl said:

As I navigate to this site on my phone, I get other "news" stories that I am guessing some algorithm selects. Usually about some impending snow event that never materialises. But there was a Wednesday one, referencing the Mail article that kid you not was headlined "Wednesday stadium deemed inadequate since Chansiri bought it in 2019".

I wonder if that’s libellous ?

1 hour ago, mkowl said:

1 hour ago, HoylandOwl said:

I wonder if that’s libellous ?

I wonder if the council, or whichever body provides the club with its license and safety certificate(s), should sue the Mail as it's their responsibility to ensure it is.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Andyben said:

I wonder if the council, or whichever body provides the club with its license and safety certificate(s), should sue the Mail as it's their responsibility to ensure it is.

Problem is if they use a word such as "inadequate" its a bit ambiguous - phrases like "the stewards were well spaced" is a bit more woolly than saying "there were too few compared to the ground regulations required and SWFC were in breach"

You can sue if they are stating an incorrect fact, you can't on a generalised opinion

Tbh not even read the Mail article as it would wind me up, if you don't click they ain't getting owt

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Andyben said:

I read it.

It's actually about the Kop and turnstile issues ahead of the Rotherham game, and then a follow up at the Leicester game. 

Absolutely fuck all to do with the Lepp 

When as facts ever stopped The Daily Mail 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Billysboy said:

I seriously think in maybe 50 years it will be compared with the holocaust.

I saw an article in WSC at the time of the enquiry suggesting those who blamed Liverpool fans were akin to holocaust deniers, so I think we’re already there. 

• Like 1

On 16/04/2024 at 16:23, mkowl said:

The point is all the concourses are "safe" if folk follow the instructions, are patient and go with the flow, don't congregate. But invariably that does not happen, particularly pre game and HT

I mean at QPR getting to the turnstile was fine, then actually queued up the stairs, hardly moved at the top, luckily i was in Y6 the first gangway. Young un needed a piss - so he went in that entrance and walked down the rows to Y5 or even maybe Y4 to get further across to get to the toilet 

Of course as none of this is apparent from a journalist in the press box, they don't report on it

I said after the game it was interesting to observe MK Jr - because he had previous little experience of "old school away ends"

We were in Y6 too.  Made sure I left it until after kick off for a slash to avoid a crowd at the lav.  

The only hassle I got was back at the Y6 barrier, from an idiot steward.  As it was awkward to  find our seats, I stood at the barrier and looked over to see where we were and what turns to make below.  Jobsworth immediately pipes up with, "You can't stand there."  I explained in a reasonable tone what I was (momentarily) doing and got, "Well you can't stand there!"  So the only danger to me getting to my correct seat in a safe, controlled and timely manner was a home club fuckwit in a uniform, part of whose role is to assist me in exactly that. As it happened, I rushed it because of his unreasoning stupidity, went wrong at one turn and ended up moving more folks than I needed to.  🙄

Edited by Owling_Wolf
  • Haha 1

On 16/04/2024 at 17:54, Chelters said:

Someone who worked with me was on duty as a special constable that day and ended up being put on the door (of the gym?) where the families went to see the bodies.  I remember that person being that affected by the experience that they never wanted to go to Hillsborough again. 

• Like 2

On 16/04/2024 at 08:32, Skamp said:

Anyway, and trying to move on.

Chansiri now in charge of ticketing arrangements for the Champions League Final.

FB_IMG_1713252631060.thumb.jpg.ec789787f9eef2ea0d6f8bc455d4096a.jpg

That’s not bad to be fair

8 minutes ago, Tylluan said:

Jesus, I had that hoody. Ennesse or En-s or summat. Then I found that Adidas did one exactly the same and bought that instead. 

The adidas one had a big central trefoil didn't it?