Matchday ticket pricing... 23/24

Can’t make matchday prices cheaper than buying a season ticket overall or it wouldn’t make sense ffs buy a discounted season ticket or pay as you go bit like a mobile phone contract ffs 

Edited by HappyOwl
Pissed up

1 hour ago, Billysboy said:

For all the bollocks being shouted (from the likes of McClure) yes those prices are obscene in my opinion, bet they will still be 26,000 plus for Sotn game Friday nite, live on sky, DC sees  job done.

How much does McClure charge for a ticket to watch Vanarama League rock music 

• Like 3

Cost me £485 to renew in the North in the first window. Bearing in mind that could still have been in League One I thought it was a decent price. Seeing how the same ticket has gone up to over £700 doesn't seem right to me. A lot genuinely won't be able to afford to go more than 2 or 3 times a season.  

As has been mentioned though, train tickets, hotels, a full weekend in London etc came easy enough for Wembley for the part timers. A lot of those will be the ones shouting loudest on social media 

3 hours ago, Skamp said:

From 18/19 to this year, the top price on the Kop has gone up 7.14% over 5 years.  CPI is currently in excess of 10% per annum.  Public sector workers are striking for 15%.  

then we want Wednesday to compete next season and expect a load of new signings.

still, Chansiri out n’ dat. 

That would suggest more that the prices were too high 18/19 than any justification.

How many fans did the likes of Burnley, Fulham and Bournemouth have in the ground to be able to compete?

Ultimately Chansiri wants everyone to be a season ticket holder. That makes sense albeit the flaw is there aren't enough Wednesday fans around to achieve that. 

Of course he probably sees 32k turn up for end of season games or 45k for Wembley and thinks why not.

There are a multitude of reasons, but the reality is every club has die hard fans to glory seekers and everything in-between.

Clearly you look after the die hards and I don't think any fan argues against that, indeed the current pricing is fair in that regard. But making the gap wider for the part timers risks turning them away completely not encouraging the move to season ticket status 

The majority of championship clubs, that have released their prices, are charging between £30-40 for their cat A games with most hovering around £35. West Brom have a flat rate of £28 for any game anywhere in the ground. 

Leeds top end, last season, was £52 to watch Premier League football albeit at Leeds. It'll be interesting to see if that comes down this season. Can't see what the pigs were charging last season but away fans were being charged around £33. Their top season ticket price for next season is £528 which gives some indication of matchday pricing. 

It makes you wonder how much DC lost over the last two seasons and how much he's trying to get back quickly. I also wonder if Dooley had any say in the matter and if he tried to stop him. 

Does a uni student pay £35 to watch us play Rotherham (assuming it's a Cat A) or spend a similar amount at the Sty the week before to watch Man Utd?

Found this piece from the Guardian about our prices when DC first took over https://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/sep/03/championship-ticket-prices-52-pounds-game

The good news is that just about every away teams fans will gripe to their local media, we will get more negative press on a national level as a result. 

And let's be honest our fans travelling away will probably bear the brunt of some reciprocal pricing

And yet none of this addresses the reverse Robin Hood as you rob from the poor to give to the already rich players. 

1 hour ago, mkowlthesexynewversion said:

And yet none of this addresses the reverse Robin Hood as you rob from the poor to give to the already rich players. 

That’s the other bit of irony at the moment.

At this moment in time I wouldn’t be surprised to learn that we have the lowest wage bill in the Championship and the highest match day ticket prices. 

As someone who stopped going a few years ago, still feels guilty about it and might start again if I can wean myself off sitting in front of the telly watching the Firestick with a glass of red wine...some of those prices seems reasonable to me.  By that I mean, the range from £27-£36 on the kop seems ok, wouldn't put me off and even £42 for the right game could be doable.  If he'd done away with the Band A pricing altogether and trimmed the levels a bit more in other stands I don't think the outcry would have been anywhere near this loud, although the usuals would still have been shouting.

He'll never charge the top band, because that's for the do or die matches, and in reality when/if we get to those games, he nearly always decides(rightly) that he wants a full house and charges accordingly.  If we're either playing a game to get into the play offs or avoid relegation there's no way at all he's going to be with the highest bands, it's just the optics to the world of having these price levels out there that's the issue.

Last point, when he talked about beer prices at Tramlines at the forum, I wondered what was in his mind & thought it was about more than beer prices in the ground.  But it's a false comparison.  Tickets for a festival are higher because they last longer, have a range of entertainment and you're guaranteed to be entertained.  Booze prices are because you're a captive audience, not because you gladly pay them.  Pricing models like ours don't work because you're never guaranteed to be entertained, you can pay the highest prices for a mind numbingly crap game or the lowest price for an absolute goal fest and the plastic seat will be the same low quality.  You also have far more choice about drinking, with several good boozers near to the ground selling great beers at good prices.  It's easy to sink a few pints pre and post game and either hold off or just have one in the ground.

I'm not " Chansiri Out" on this, Yes there are mistakes which I'd have hoped he'd have learned from, but as the season pans out I don't think that match day pricing will be too bad.   

• Like 2

6 hours ago, BraddersTim said:

As someone who stopped going a few years ago, still feels guilty about it and might start again if I can wean myself off sitting in front of the telly watching the Firestick with a glass of red wine...some of those prices seems reasonable to me.  By that I mean, the range from £27-£36 on the kop seems ok, wouldn't put me off and even £42 for the right game could be doable.  If he'd done away with the Band A pricing altogether and trimmed the levels a bit more in other stands I don't think the outcry would have been anywhere near this loud, although the usuals would still have been shouting.

He'll never charge the top band, because that's for the do or die matches, and in reality when/if we get to those games, he nearly always decides(rightly) that he wants a full house and charges accordingly.  If we're either playing a game to get into the play offs or avoid relegation there's no way at all he's going to be with the highest bands, it's just the optics to the world of having these price levels out there that's the issue.

Last point, when he talked about beer prices at Tramlines at the forum, I wondered what was in his mind & thought it was about more than beer prices in the ground.  But it's a false comparison.  Tickets for a festival are higher because they last longer, have a range of entertainment and you're guaranteed to be entertained.  Booze prices are because you're a captive audience, not because you gladly pay them.  Pricing models like ours don't work because you're never guaranteed to be entertained, you can pay the highest prices for a mind numbingly crap game or the lowest price for an absolute goal fest and the plastic seat will be the same low quality.  You also have far more choice about drinking, with several good boozers near to the ground selling great beers at good prices.  It's easy to sink a few pints pre and post game and either hold off or just have one in the ground.

I'm not " Chansiri Out" on this, Yes there are mistakes which I'd have hoped he'd have learned from, but as the season pans out I don't think that match day pricing will be too bad.   

You’re right the optics are probably going to be worse than the reality if the last time he did this is anything to go by.
BUT…..

The optics don’t just piss off fans, they attract negative press across the board. 
Can we have a few of those positive optics please?

😀

Prices have increased £3 on the Kop since 18/19 season

prices have increased £6 on the North since 18/19 season

Prices have increased £10 on the South since 18/19 season.

He got rid of the cheapest offering in the ladder this time.

I think the club are allowed 3 promotional games in the season.

Rumour as it 22000 ish season tickets. Let’s say average away following of 2000 over season will give us an average of about 24000 - similar to 18/19 season regardless of form. 

Form & recruitment and majority mid tier pricing games could see us achieve over 25,000 average, maybe higher if we do really compete! 

It’s the same outcry as his original championship pricing but because prices were brought down to reflect league 1 status propel people have forgot. 

All it’s done is propel the Chansiri out brigade again and we’re now stuck with this throughout the entire season. 

A question to season ticket holders out there...

How would you feel if the club adopted a philosophy that in the week run up to any game sold tickets for whatever got people in?

Fill the ground, hopefully more atmosphere which should impact the players.

Whats the point in having empty seats, lost revenue right there.

I completely respect ST holders commiting their hard earned but looking at it from a basics perspective fill the ground, kids offers, the future fans, concourse spends, would you agree that yes maybe some random people have got in for that match for less than your average per match cost, could you live with it as part of the long term vision of maxing revenue.

UTO

Edited by Lee
Added

5 hours ago, Lee said:

A question to season ticket holders out there...

How would you feel if the club adopted a philosophy that in the week run up to any game sold tickets for whatever got people in?

Fill the ground, hopefully more atmosphere which should impact the players.

Whats the point in having empty seats, lost revenue right there.

I completely respect ST holders commiting their hard earned but looking at it from a basics perspective fill the ground, kids offers, the future fans, concourse spends, would you agree that yes maybe some random people have got in for that match for less than your average per match cost, could you live with it as part of the long term vision of maxing revenue.

UTO

Firstly you’ve hit the strategy of the clubs approach bang on the head. The reason they have so many options is so they can freely switch prices to hit demand based on any given situation. The policy of the EFL is that you have to set your ticket prices before the start of season and stick to those prices - with a little wriggle room.

Season ticket holders would only be upset if prices dropped below what they had paid for to see every game for all games I suspect. It was pointed out earlier break even in years gone by was around 17 games in - now it’s 11 [category depending]

Maybe what the fanbase should be doing is making the point to Chansiri that he should aim to be cat D E F for the majority of games. As opposed the protest being argued for now.

With membership that would mean just to be clear [membership which 1000’s found the cash for just to have for 1 week]

KOP £25 £28 £31

North £31 £34 £37

South £34 £38 £42

I think season tickets for Kop at current prices works out £23 a game.and the 3 year deal assuming no promotion in between £20 a game. 

• Like 1

On 07/07/2023 at 18:56, Bellsview said:

There are a number of posters on here from, let’s just say, a more affluent position and live a more luxury lifestyle than most Wednesday supporters. Their political views, well publicised on here, only reinforce that.

But in the real world, where families are struggling with every day bills, energy prices and meeting their rent/mortgage payments, these prices are an absolute fucking disgrace. I’m ashamed of the club.

I don’t care if I get slated for this post, all I’ll say is that SWFC are totally out of touch with reality, and if this is how things are going to continue, let me say, for the first time ever, Chansiri Out!

For “SWFC” and “The Club” read The crook.

Silly people who smugly laugh at how the Premier League pigs are ran whilst we sit there like a fucking circus in a rust bucket we no longer own. He’s had our pants down and is laughing his fucking head off whilst waiting to sell the club/land for development.

Clubs best interest at heart, out Palmer is his place, shouldn’t have given in to DM’s demands.

The man could not give a flying fuck about anything to do with the fans and club other than it filling his wallet eventually. Business is business.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Laceups said:

Silly people who smugly laugh at how the Premier League pigs are ran whilst we sit there like a fucking circus in a rust bucket we no longer own. He’s had our pants down and is laughing his fucking head off whilst waiting to sell the club/land for development.

Clubs best interest at heart, out Palmer is his place, shouldn’t have given in to DM’s demands.

The man could not give a flying fuck about anything to do with the fans and club other than it filling his wallet eventually. Business is business.

He's the only person willing to write a cheque for £13m a year to keep us afloat. Some hole in his wallet. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Laceups said:

That's nonsense to be honest Kev.

With the amount of cash he's put in, and he still gets moaning from the usual gobshites, it's more like we've had his pants down.

He's not had a penny out of the club (unlike McCabe (£400m) and he's put nearly £150m in unlike the Prince and his quid. 

@EBRA's posts have nailed it.

Edited by Andyben

I’m not sure I get the uproar.

If we want to have a more competitive squad, we need to raise as much money as we can. Putting up ticket prices is inevitable. 

Should it be right that we’ve sold 22,000 then we will average around 25000 regardless of how successful the season is. IF we do well, we might have some 30k crowds. We also get to rinse away fans for more every game too. 

It was no surprise to me that prices went up, though I’ll admit I didn’t anticipate such a hike. 

We’ve had since Christmas to decide if we want a season ticket and those that chose to buy early were rewarded. 

I get that season tickets don’t work for some but those who walked up to 4-6 games last season can still afford to come; it will just be less games per season. Therefore the club still get their money. Some won’t come as a matter of principle, there is that risk but it won’t be many. 

The time for arguing that Twenty is Plenty etc is if we ever got to the Prem, when ticket income becomes a significantly smaller percentage of income. 

Being financially competitive and keeping prices cheap don’t mix in the Championship. 

• Like 3

Fair enough Ben and I’m in a bit of a hangover grump to be honest. But those prices are bloody steep and I just hope we’ve shifted a few season tickets cos family and friends I know won’t be stumping up that. Luckily for me I have the firestick.

A couple of questions though. 1. Are we in line price wise with the rest of the league? I genuinely don’t know. And 2. For all the money he’s pumped in does he own the stadium and land around it?

Just now, Laceups said:

Fair enough Ben and I’m in a bit of a hangover grump to be honest. But those prices are bloody steep and I just hope we’ve shifted a few season tickets cos family and friends I know won’t be stumping up that. Luckily for me I have the firestick.

A couple of questions though. 1. Are we in line price wise with the rest of the league? I genuinely don’t know. And 2. For all the money he’s pumped in does he own the stadium and land around it?

I skimmed over an article the other day about pricing and all I remember is about West Brom charging £28 across the board no matter what Championship opponent or what stand you sit in 

43 minutes ago, Laceups said:

As far as I know mate, the ground and land are owned by the same company that owns the football club. 

Any sale would be of the shares in the holding company,which is HK registered, as the combined value is more than the individual value 

On the prices,look back at what happened in the past seasons we had a similar structure and there's gonna be no issues 

49 minutes ago, Laceups said:

Are we in line price wise with the rest of the league? I genuinely don’t know. 

On 08/07/2023 at 09:09, Tylluan said:

The majority of championship clubs, that have released their prices, are charging between £30-40 for their cat A games with most hovering around £35. West Brom have a flat rate of £28 for any game anywhere in the ground. 

Leeds top end, last season, was £52 to watch Premier League football albeit at Leeds. It'll be interesting to see if that comes down this season. Can't see what the pigs were charging last season but away fans were being charged around £33. Their top season ticket price for next season is £528 which gives some indication of matchday pricing. 

It makes you wonder how much DC lost over the last two seasons and how much he's trying to get back quickly. I also wonder if Dooley had any say in the matter and if he tried to stop him. 

Does a uni student pay £35 to watch us play Rotherham (assuming it's a Cat A) or spend a similar amount at the Sty the week before to watch Man Utd?

Found this piece from the Guardian about our prices when DC first took over https://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/sep/03/championship-ticket-prices-52-pounds-game

There you go. 

14 hours ago, Neville Facking Bartos said:

There’s not a brigade anymore, there’s a massive fucking majority 

Suddenly we need to get off to a good start this season or his tenure could finish as a disaster.

Chansiri can be a dick, no doubt, but don't think you can base a majority on what's said on stalk and twitter mate.

• Like 2

Leicester top ticket price £88 for cat a in one stand.

they also have multiple differing prices for different parts of grounds alongside a 2 category system.

Should Chansiri introduce zoning as solution .. you want half way line you pay more than the wings in the same stand? Nearer or further from pitch more pricing differentiation?

2 minutes ago, mkowlthesexynewversion said:

Tbf most if us would pay 42 quid not to go to the fuckin dump called Hull

Away fans will suffer as club exact revenge on us. 
one drawback of the system. 
Mind we paid £28 for Boro away whilst they all paid £10 once. 

18 hours ago, EBRA said:

Prices have increased £3 on the Kop since 18/19 season

prices have increased £6 on the North since 18/19 season

Prices have increased £10 on the South since 18/19 season.

He got rid of the cheapest offering in the ladder this time.

I think the club are allowed 3 promotional games in the season.

Rumour as it 22000 ish season tickets. Let’s say average away following of 2000 over season will give us an average of about 24000 - similar to 18/19 season regardless of form. 

Form & recruitment and majority mid tier pricing games could see us achieve over 25,000 average, maybe higher if we do really compete! 

It’s the same outcry as his original championship pricing but because prices were brought down to reflect league 1 status propel people have forgot. 

All it’s done is propel the Chansiri out brigade again and we’re now stuck with this throughout the entire season. 

This is useful context for this debate about ticket prices.

A lot has happened since 2019 and I’m not just talking COVID, but obviously, that along with Brexit, war in Ukraine all have impacted the cost of doing business. Add to that the increasing “competitiveness” in the Championship, it’s not hard to see why DC has increased ticket prices, even if it’s hard to take.

Im sure he’s understood it’s a tight rope walk balancing the prices with what people are prepared to pay. 
I think Reesh and others have also made the point that lower prices don’t turn into higher attendances. The Newcastle game last season was a reasonable example of that, given the opposition etc.

I always think about other entertainment tickets and there are plenty of other events that you would pay more than the average ticket prices for Hillsborough.

The only other thing all clubs have to worry about and again we’ve discussed it before is the stay at home and watch on the internet option, which could in effect simply be playing into the PL  big clubs hands and eventually starving the lower leagues.

4 hours ago, EBRA said:

Leicester top ticket price £88 for cat a in one stand.

they also have multiple differing prices for different parts of grounds alongside a 2 category system.

Should Chansiri introduce zoning as solution .. you want half way line you pay more than the wings in the same stand? Nearer or further from pitch more pricing differentiation?

Didn't we used to have wing stand pricing? 

1 hour ago, Tank_Owl2,0 said:

This is useful context for this debate about ticket prices.

A lot has happened since 2019 and I’m not just talking COVID, but obviously, that along with Brexit, war in Ukraine all have impacted the cost of doing business. Add to that the increasing “competitiveness” in the Championship, it’s not hard to see why DC has increased ticket prices, even if it’s hard to take.

Im sure he’s understood it’s a tight rope walk balancing the prices with what people are prepared to pay. 
I think Reesh and others have also made the point that lower prices don’t turn into higher attendances. The Newcastle game last season was a reasonable example of that, given the opposition etc.

I always think about other entertainment tickets and there are plenty of other events that you would pay more than the average ticket prices for Hillsborough.

The only other thing all clubs have to worry about and again we’ve discussed it before is the stay at home and watch on the internet option, which could in effect simply be playing into the PL  big clubs hands and eventually starving the lower leagues.

It fails to address the big fuck off elephant in the room that the only group not suffering financially are the players.

We happily discuss whether an extra £5 makes the difference, but it all pales into insignificance really.

The fundamental issue is that player wages at Championship level are too high to be sustainable. The shit about redistribution of funds from the Premier League would simply lead to 100% of those funds going to the players and agents.

Even the next EFL deal will lead to the same, zero benefit will be given to fans re ticket and related prices.

Start with player wages being capped to 60% of football revenues. That is the change that is required

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, mkowlthesexynewversion said:

Start with player wages being capped to 60% of football revenues. That is the change that is required

If only that was a possibility. In theory it is, but in practice it never will be. The players, the higher up you go, have had more and more power in recent years because there's always someone willing to pay what they ask for (or their agents ask for). 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HoylandOwl said:

If only that was a possibility. In theory it is, but in practice it never will be. The players, the higher up you go, have had more and more power in recent years because there's always someone willing to pay what they ask for (or their agents ask for). 

I know it will never happen, but until it does there will be constant ticket price inflation, TV subscription inflation, merchandise inflation. And interesting overseas owners who throw money at it until they run out and fuck off leaving a mess.

That is why the power needs to be redressed by a competent regulator 

Every other debate just leaves fans arguing either amongst themselves or against rivals 

I suppose I saw the light a little in that era pre covid. I can almost tie it back to Fletcher coming on as a sub and going off not giving a shit 5 minutes later. 

• Like 2