Matchday ticket pricing... 23/24

1 hour ago, mkowlthesexynewversion said:

I know it will never happen, but until it does there will be constant ticket price inflation, TV subscription inflation, merchandise inflation. And interesting overseas owners who throw money at it until they run out and fuck off leaving a mess.

That is why the power needs to be redressed by a competent regulator 

Every other debate just leaves fans arguing either amongst themselves or against rivals 

I suppose I saw the light a little in that era pre covid. I can almost tie it back to Fletcher coming on as a sub and going off not giving a shit 5 minutes later. 

Fletcher was the player that flicked the switch for me too MK. Not that it was his fault.

I’d had a 3 year season ticket and paid for it over 2, so sort of felt like I’d been for free that last season. I’d to find £500 to go watch Wednesday for the year, and so had 79 others just to pay this bloke for a week. 

It’s daft really because at 50% or 25% of those reported £40,000 a week wages the imbalance is still clear but it just felt like a step too far.

11 hours ago, Winco said:

I’ve bought memberships for he and the lad get a few quid of tickets and I can pick and choose if I wanna go.

not arsed about the price if you don’t like don’t go. Simple.

nowts cheap nowadays 

And there we have it...

Tickets to see Bruce Springsteen in Hyde Park started at £94

Wanna see Miss Saigon at the Lyceum? It's £60. Wednesday "legends" evening...that's £32.50. Fuck me, even an amateur production costs £30

Fancy the pictures? That's £13.

I'd love to go back to the days when my paper round money would easily cover the £3.50 to stand on the Kop. Football hasn't been the working man's game since long before I turned down a Victorian terrace at Meersbrook in the early noughties because I thought £32.5k was too much...

Life is expensive and sadly so is football 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, LiamOwl said:

Fletcher was the player that flicked the switch for me too MK. Not that it was his fault.

I’d had a 3 year season ticket and paid for it over 2, so sort of felt like I’d been for free that last season. I’d to find £500 to go watch Wednesday for the year, and so had 79 others just to pay this bloke for a week. 

It’s daft really because at 50% or 25% of those reported £40,000 a week wages the imbalance is still clear but it just felt like a step too far.

That is the point really, people arguing in favour of category pricing and the additional revenue it generates. But you do the math and that dynamic pricing which causes much angst and potential damage to the fan / club relationship brings in enough to fund one weeks wages for one player. 

An old mate of mine gave up going to games well over a decade ago for this very reason. I questioned his thought process at that time. I am not quite there even now but in other areas eg gig tickets I have a price limit. When does football become the same. 

49 minutes ago, mkowlthesexynewversion said:

That is the point really, people arguing in favour of category pricing and the additional revenue it generates. But you do the math and that dynamic pricing which causes much angst and potential damage to the fan / club relationship brings in enough to fund one weeks wages for one player. 

An old mate of mine gave up going to games well over a decade ago for this very reason. I questioned his thought process at that time. I am not quite there even now but in other areas eg gig tickets I have a price limit. When does football become the same. 

I think we’re close to the limit. I’ve never felt as disconnected to football as I do now, it’s consumed my life for so long and I loved it for that. 
Right now. If it wasn’t for my lads, who still love it, and meeting good people who I’ve known for years at games. I would certainly have packed up and just watch at home… when I can be arsed. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Otto_Man said:

And there we have it...

Wanna see Miss Saigon at the Lyceum? It's £60. Wednesday "legends" evening...that's £32.50. Fuck me, even an amateur production costs £30

I'd love to go back to the days when my paper round money would easily cover the £3.50 to stand on the Kop. Football hasn't been the working man's game since long before I turned down a Victorian terrace at Meersbrook in the early noughties because I thought £32.5k was too much...

Not all gigs are Springsteen though. I'm going shortly to an all dayer with 10 or 12 bands: £35 basic. 

7 hours ago, Otto_Man said:

And there we have it...

The thing with this argument is you don't go to watch Bruce Springsteen every other week (or at all in my case) nor the cinema, they are special occasions that you do when you can afford them, football to some with the large investment of time required becomes part of your lifestyle.

2 minutes ago, 80s Owl said:

The thing with this argument is you don't go to watch Bruce Springsteen every other week (or at all in my case) nor the cinema, they are special occasions that you do when you can afford them, football to some with the large investment of time required becomes part of your lifestyle.

There are people that pay a monthly subscription to go to the cinema…. And do go multiple times a month.

I don’t. But have considered it in the past.

37 minutes ago, HoylandOwl said:

There are people that pay a monthly subscription to go to the cinema…. And do go multiple times a month.

I don’t. But have considered it in the past.

The Cineworld card in Sheffield is £16.99 a month, when you consider a ticket for the upcoming Mission Impossible film is nigh on 12 quid it's pretty good value, I'm a big film fan but not sure even I could find two films to watch every month, there's an uplift for IMAX, 4DX but I'm not sure by how much.

19 minutes ago, Angelinblue said:

Just ask yourself how much of a profit does the club make each season. Based on that should they increase or decrease ticket prices? I think that will give you the answer.

Surely the club making profit or not shouldn't be out of the fans pockets, teams with half our attendances manage.

37 minutes ago, Angelinblue said:

Just ask yourself how much of a profit does the club make each season. Based on that should they increase or decrease ticket prices? I think that will give you the answer.

But back to MK’s point. 
Should that profit all come from us because the players are paid what they are and we need to pay for it? 

30 minutes ago, Angelinblue said:

The club makes zero profit. It actually tries to sustain a 13m loss.

In every other business bar football then the rationale would be to cut costs because in the end constant price increases will become self defeating.

Football gets away with it because the demand curve is pretty inelastic. It benefits from the same reason as why govts tax cigarettes and alcohol. 

I am always intrigued by the TV deals because with the alternative means of watching how do they continue to make money from subscribers. That seems to have a limit of say 100 quid per month. I pay but once it breaches that I ring up, get a bit knocked off etc

2 minutes ago, HoylandOwl said:

But back to MK’s point. 
Should that profit all come from us because the players are paid what they are and we need to pay for it? 

Revenues as opposed to profit but let's not forget the next largest slug is TV monies which comes from the fans.

There is a limit on the latter. I will pay for Sky and the now TNT Sports but Via play, DAZN etc etc no way.  And I know the Firestick option is out there but presumably the TV companies see that as a risk they will try to use legal means to stop.

The cost side of the equation however rarely gets talked about 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hirstys 12th Pint said:

Season tickets back on sale.

Kop £595 - £25.86 per game

Master stroke from DC.  Announce crazy Cat A prices that we are never going to use as an incentive to sell season tickets !

I can fully understand his mission to push people towards ST's but most people who want them will already have them, the rest of us who can't commit to a full season will be punished, this will have an effect moving forward when we have alienated potential future fans/ST holders.

MK your points are valid but not relevant as it’s not one club that can turn the tide. We will probably never be that club either under current ownership!

However a long term critic of DC as just sorted a face to face with him! 

Have you consider taking DC up on his word and sitting with him? Very least maybe able to get the auditing job? If not change the whole world of UK football. 

8 hours ago, HoylandOwl said:

I think we’re close to the limit. I’ve never felt as disconnected to football as I do now, it’s consumed my life for so long and I loved it for that. 
Right now. If it wasn’t for my lads, who still love it, and meeting good people who I’ve known for years at games. I would certainly have packed up and just watch at home… when I can be arsed. 

I'm Wednesday through and through but since lockdown I've found myself watching more non league. I've been lucky in that my local team and Wednesday played at home on opposite Saturdays but this season might be different and as I've not got a season ticket due to work commitments. 

Southampton at home first game back in the Championship Category D. Surely the categories are to raise more revenue from the larger numbers of travelling away fans as you can only charge the highest equivalent home ticket? Fed up of all the bitchin and moaning even been called a nob on Twitter by a wannabe famous Sheffield celebrities alta ego 🙄🤦‍♀️

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Andyben said:

That's gonna shut em up

Don’t think it will to be honest it’s just constant on social media I personally don’t have a problem with any of it probably because I haven’t seen a full financial plan and don’t know how sustainable we are against FFP but it is obvious that hundreds if not thousands of people have and are experts at running a Championship football club under the present regulations. 

Only thing I’m a bit nervous about is we are a bit slow on the transfer side of things but for all I know it could be all in hand and part of the master plan 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

Ask me again at Christmas 😘

9 hours ago, HoylandOwl said:

But back to MK’s point. 

So we Want players who can Perform well in this division but pay them the same as Legue 1? Supply and demand my friend.

3 hours ago, EBRA said:

MK your points are valid but not relevant as it’s not one club that can turn the tide. We will probably never be that club either under current ownership!

However a long term critic of DC as just sorted a face to face with him! 

Have you consider taking DC up on his word and sitting with him? Very least maybe able to get the auditing job? If not change the whole world of UK football. 

I have prefixed most of my comments that it will never happen in practice 

It is not aimed at DC - it is a general comment on football as a whole and of course no team can apply this unilaterally. Well it could and be relegated of course 

My point is that DC has to follow the crowd and spend 80% plus of revenues on direct player and coaching staff wages - maybe more. That is the unsustainable part and why DC has to try every avenue to maximise revenues - but its really putting a sticking plaster over a huge financial wound

The equation in football is never considered from the angle of cost management - that is my point - but I am not presuming DC is the one to do that first 

12 hours ago, 80s Owl said:

Not all football matches are expensive, I'll be watching my daughter play for fuck all Saturday, not sure I get your point?!

2 hours ago, Otto_Man said:

Not all football matches are expensive, I'll be watching my daughter play for fuck all Saturday, not sure I get your point?!

I didn't think the thread was about "all football matches" tbf. I could probably go and watch the local amateur dramatics societies version of Mission Impossible: Dead Reckoning for 4 quid but it won't be the same as the Tom Cruise one.

3 hours ago, Otto_Man said:

Sorry fella meant to quote whoever it was mentioned the 12 bands playing in a day, no wonder you're confused, I am too and I did it 🙄

Edited by Otto_Man
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Andyben said:

Name me any business where getting promoted doesn't mean a pay rise 

I would adopt the performance related reward model. It's not like Liam Palmer is now a supervisor. They've achieved promotion and fair play some coin should come their way. DC then rolls the dice again in championship if he likes, stay up and get whatever bonus, go up way more. But a big eye on financial sustainability.

Edited by Lee
Spello

7 hours ago, Neville Facking Bartos said:

@Andyben bit of a general assumption on the bonuses seeing as a good proportion of contracts will have been negotiated whilst in the championship. 

Not really

Contracts tend to have relegation and promotion clauses. Pretty standard since Leeds and other got caught out in the early 00's.

How many players in the squad signed their current contract while in the championship?

Windass, Byers Palmer Iorfa and Dawson at most?. The others were signed in L1 or renewed in it.

Edited by Andyben

41 minutes ago, Andyben said:

Not really

Contracts tend to have relegation and promotion clauses. Pretty standard since Leeds and other got caught out in the early 00's.

How many players in the squad signed their current contract while in the championship?

Windass, Byers Palmer Iorfa and Dawson at most?. The others were signed in L1 or renewed in it.

Speaking of those up the M1, apparently most of their players have a 50% pay cut in their deals after relegation, BUT, if the players want to leave the club will let them on loan as long as the loaning club pays the 50% of the wage that Leeds aren’t.  

On 09/07/2023 at 13:53, EBRA said:

Away fans will suffer as club exact revenge on us. 
one drawback of the system. 
Mind we paid £28 for Boro away whilst they all paid £10 once. 

Thought they all have to charge us same price as an equivalent location stand of their fans? 

13 minutes ago, Andyben said:

66% of a lot is still a lot compared to the income of the fans who are funding 66% of their wages via ticket prices and TV subs 

So I have no issue their wages returning to Championship levels 

My issue is that these wages are too high in the first place to be sustainable by continuing to milk the fan base ad infinitum.

The fact is Wednesday attempted the glory route, then got dragged into the EFL dispute over FFP and the subsequent points deduction. This impacted the performance on the pitch and the attitude of the players for nearly 2 years, culminating in relegation. Which the fans endured that misery from the stands. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, 80s Owl said:

This is really getting embarrassing now. 😕

Why? Their away fans have been used to spending around £30 for away games in the Prem and they've just suffered a relegation. It's the first game of the season and it's on Sky on a Friday night. Taking 6 quid off a ticket isn't going to break Southampton and let's see if they do the same for Leeds away or every other away game

Edited by Tylluan
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Tylluan said:

Why? Their away fans have been used to spending around £30 for away games in the Prem and they've just suffered a relegation. It's the first game of the season and it's on Sky on a Friday night. Taking 6 quid off a ticket isn't going to break Southampton and let's see if they do the same for Leeds away or every other away game

And PL away tickets are price capped

48 minutes ago, Tylluan said:

25 minutes ago, Reesh said:

And PL away tickets are price capped

And that’s what I mean by the headline writer types on the other thread. There’s legitimate reasons as to why it’s happened, rather than ‘it’s a shitshow look’ 

For a bit of context on pricing and appreciate that these were all purchased during the Early Bird Phase but below is what my season ticket has cost on the Kop.

2017    £455

2018    £455

2019    £455

2020    Covid Year

2021    £365

2022    £365

2023    £395

OK I do not agree with all the different phases involved and all the separate categories on match day but you cannot knock the above.  The majority of tickets sold in the ground will have been purchased at this stage. 

This above pricing does not make good headlines though. 

• Like 6