Matchday ticket pricing... 23/24

I know we don't get things for nowt, and I don't expect it to cost £5 and a bag of chips to get in.

But how many times are we going to see £27 tickets on the Kop this season? I don't get reactionary usually, but on this one by these prices in that it's made me jump.

And £59 in the South Stand. FIFTY NINE QUID. Madness, absolute madness. We didn't use the top category last time it was £50+, but all the media did was jump on the top price, and I know why. It's obvious. It's a headline writers dream and ridiculous.

27 minutes ago, 80s Owl said:

Outrageous pricing and difficult to defend. If most games fall in the middle categories over £35 for a game is ludicrous.

First game of the season was a Cat A last time he did this.

I was pretty sure we never used the top bracket before? Or was the top one A+ last time?

16 minutes ago, HoylandOwl said:

I was pretty sure we never used the top bracket before? Or was the top one A+ last time?

It was A+ we never used Terry, the game against Villa was defo Cat A, I'm pretty sure there was at least one maybe two more during that season.

10 minutes ago, 80s Owl said:

It was A+ we never used Terry, the game against Villa was defo Cat A, I'm pretty sure there was at least one maybe two more during that season.

I knew it was the top one mate, I just couldn't recall if it was A or A+. 

Even so. A+. WTF? 🙂 

2 hours ago, Hirstys 12th Pint said:

£17.17 a game for me on Kop. 

So taking category D as the average for the season - £36 - this just demonstrates the foolishness of missing early bird STs. Go to 11 home league games and the ST starts saving.

Iirc, in my early days where all matches were priced the same, STs were one price (no early bird) the break even was 16/17 games.

Edit: misread. It's £33 so 12/13 game break even.

Edited by M42Owl

2 minutes ago, M42Owl said:

So taking category D as the average for the season - £36 - this just demonstrates the foolishness of missing early bird STs. Go to 11 home league games and the ST starts saving.

Iirc, in my early days where all matches were priced the same, STs were one price (no early bird) the break even was 16/17 games.

ST's don't work for everyone though, they certainly don't for me.

• Like 1

The fact is folk will pick and choose. Probability of the Leeds home game being on TV, about 75% 

A season ticket clearly makes sense if you have the time to go. I haven't counted but I presume at least 6 - 8 of the home games will be midweek. We still have the red button option for this forthcoming season as well. 

My fundamental issue is the 7 price categories. Way too many for what should be a simple event to go to 

It does beg the question if these ticket prices are much higher than other Championship clubs then what are they doing differently.

I appreciate parachute payments skew things but I always presume that income covers the higher wage contracts.

Aside from that is their commercial income greater

Do they simply subsidise with player sales

Is their day to day cost base lower ex player wages.

The economics always suggest player wages should start to reduce as more clubs get into financial problems or cannot keep putting up the fans contribution to it.

Footballs bubble as always defied economic logic, perhaps it will start one day. The fact cinema companies are going into admin, hospitality always seems stretched. The TV companies seem to be cost cutting but never on what they will offer the game.

Once you step back from being a season ticket holder you do realise the price of a ticket much more. And actually think its not that important, ways and means of seeing matches 

Nothing beats the live experience but not at any price

• Like 1

There are a number of posters on here from, let’s just say, a more affluent position and live a more luxury lifestyle than most Wednesday supporters. Their political views, well publicised on here, only reinforce that.

But in the real world, where families are struggling with every day bills, energy prices and meeting their rent/mortgage payments, these prices are an absolute fucking disgrace. I’m ashamed of the club.

I don’t care if I get slated for this post, all I’ll say is that SWFC are totally out of touch with reality, and if this is how things are going to continue, let me say, for the first time ever, Chansiri Out!

• Like 3

I’m of a different political persuasion than you but I’m hardly affluent nor do I lead a more luxury lifestyle than most.  That’s just to clarify that point btw.

I hear what you say about prices.  Tell me.  What would be acceptable for an average game viewed from the Kop? Just curious. 

5 minutes ago, Bellsview said:

There are a number of posters on here from, let’s just say, a more affluent position and live a more luxury lifestyle than most Wednesday supporters. Their political views, well publicised on here, only reinforce that.

But in the real world, where families are struggling with every day bills, energy prices and meeting their rent/mortgage payments, these prices are an absolute fucking disgrace. I’m ashamed of the club.

I don’t care if I get slated for this post, all I’ll say is that SWFC are totally out of touch with reality, and if this is how things are going to continue, let me say, for the first time ever, Chansiri Out!

Your point is justified IMO.

7 minutes ago, Bellsview said:

To defend Chansiri in one aspect, he will have seen a lot in our fan base throw money at a Wembley trip, buy memberships to guarantee tickets etc etc. So why not the more mundane games. 

It's a fair question from him, not that I necessarily agree his stance 

And whilst I could be placed in the camp, there actually comes a point where I think I have better things to do with my money and indeed time. 

Perhaps I am finding I can get my fix from alternative sources 

• Like 2

What’s the top away price in the Prem these days? Didn’t they cap it at £30? Please accept my ignorance at forgetting! 

While I have no sympathy for those up the M1, for fans of clubs loke Southampton…  if the limit is £30 in the prem is such, how daft is that you can pay quite a bit above that to watch Championship footy.

11 minutes ago, Skamp said:

I’m of a different political persuasion than you but I’m hardly affluent nor do I lead a more luxury lifestyle than most.  That’s just to clarify that point btw.

I hear what you say about prices.  Tell me.  What would be acceptable for an average game viewed from the Kop? Just curious. 

I actually think a fixed price for the entire season - £25 for the Kop would be fair and reasonable.

I totally get why economically there is category pricing but I dislike it. Its not like I pay 35 quid and the product I see is guaranteed to be better.

The joke in all this is we debate this point ad infinitum but it never gets mentioned this is all to get in and sing adulation to Bannan on 15k a week

5 minutes ago, mkowlthesexynewversion said:

To defend Chansiri in one aspect, he will have seen a lot in our fan base throw money at a Wembley trip, buy memberships to guarantee tickets etc etc. So why not the more mundane games. 

It's a fair question from him, not that I necessarily agree his stance 

And whilst I could be placed in the camp, there actually comes a point where I think I have better things to do with my money and indeed time. 

Perhaps I am finding I can get my fix from alternative sources 

I can understand that view. 

It's in my blood. Not saying its not in yours or anyone else's. The only loyal people in football is the fans. At times that csn be abused and those prices do that. 

I'll still go but at those prices I'll have to pick and choose

20 minutes ago, Skamp said:

You can’t compare the PL to the Championship due to the zillions the clubs receive, ticket prices add fuck all really other than to sort the die hards from the casual supporters. 

No you're right, it makes sense that they can afford to make things cheaper, Skamp, you're bang on. BUT the average Joe on the street won't give a fuck about how much the club's pockets are being lined. It's they who can't support their team, and really, is that their fault if the pricing is the way it is? 

I just hate how so many are being priced out. It does my head in. 

1 minute ago, HoylandOwl said:

No you're right, it makes sense that they can afford to make things cheaper, Skamp, you're bang on. BUT the average Joe on the street won't give a fuck about how much the club's pockets are being lined. It's they who can't support their team, and really, is that their fault if the pricing is the way it is? 

I just hate how so many are being priced out. It does my head in. 

But they’re playing in front of full houses. 

For the avoidance of doubt, I think they look steep but look at my comparison chart from a couple of years ago and the inflation rises since then appear to have been factored in.  Them floodlights and the scoreboard now cost 4x more to run.

I’ll still pop down as usual for the games I fancy and watch the rest on ifollow 

Edited by Skamp

From 18/19 to this year, the top price on the Kop has gone up 7.14% over 5 years.  CPI is currently in excess of 10% per annum.  Public sector workers are striking for 15%.  

then we want Wednesday to compete next season and expect a load of new signings.

still, Chansiri out n’ dat. 

Edited by Skamp
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Skamp said:

Let me put it this way.

At £30 a ticket (per adult) that makes it £1 for every 3 minutes of football watched - on the Kop, in the cheapest area of the ground, for a Category F game (second cheapest option). Everywhere else in the stadium, regardless of category, is over £30.

Does that sound acceptable to you, cos it doesn’t to me. Absolutely fucking disgusting.

£25 a ticket, regardless of area in the ground, is more than realistic - we are a Sheffield based club, not one located in Fulham! 

What are them bastards down the road charging for one off match tickets, to watch PL football? If it’s cheaper than us then questions seriously need asking, especially given their supposed financial position.

These prices are totally indefensible.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HappyOwl said:

£21 per match for me early bird renewal glad I feel so good about it reward for loyal supporters 🙌🙌🙌🦉🦉💙💙

Not for one minute knocking those prices and it’s absolutely right that loyal supporters should be rewarded.

But how the hell are we going to attract new supporters with those match day prices - and what chance is there of, for example, a dad (or mum and dad) treating their kids to a home fixture on Boxing Day. You could easily be talking £150+ just to attend one game.

Finding money for a one-off game at Wembley is one thing (and I know supporters who used their plastic for that and will be paying for it for months to come), which I’ve seen mentioned, but to fork out extortionate amounts for an every day, run of the mill league fixture is something else.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

How many games were cat A £44 last time? First game of season against Bristol City and there was an outcry then.

I then think we never got there again? Hovering around B/C/D and 1/2 lowest category  or £10 a game specials? 

DC justification at time was the range of category allowed flexibility based on how we were performing and demand for tickets. Something to do with the rule of setting tickets prices before season starts? 

He also wanted to fleece away fans- suspect limited capacity as highlighted options to do this again. Didn’t we then get taken to court because away fans challenged the classification of the Lepping lane as the south stand! Lol

Just really could of nailed it this season

such an own goal. 

Let’s see the calibre of player.. wages get ignored by fans so freebies as seen as cheap.