Biggest Wednesday shock game you've attended live

Aside from 91 v Man Utd

What games have you been to that we properly upset the form books, wins and losses. 

For me

Winning at Liverpool 96, only win I've seen at Anfield. 

West Ham in league Cup 2000 under Jewell

Humbled at Stevenage 2011 

Gillingham Cup in 2000 

Cambridge home in league Cup 98

On the negative side, the Everton FA Cup replay saga when we had matched them and then suddenly we were 5 down at HT 

But it is the mundane ones, losing 3 - 0 at home to Colchester first match of the season, Turners last game not long after, snatching a 2 - 2 draw against 9 man Yeovil, said Stevenage game, a 1-1 draw at Dagenham. 

The shock simply being how bad we were, the fear it could get worse, couple of them where I questioned ever going again.

The ultimate positive, simply beating Man U in a Wembley cup final. It was a numb joy, if that makes sense, so shock in a real sense in that it took it took the day after and beyond to actually sink in

Good thread this Reach.

I’ll start with the negative shocks.

3-0 at home to Forest in 1990. Even as a kid, I couldn’t see us losing.

3-1 away at Chesterfield, that for me, was the lowest point in our recent history.

Positive shocks

Deffo Anfield in the 1-0 win, I went on the ICO, not so pleasant afterwards.

6-0 at home to Leeds.

Both the West Ham and Villa League cup wins.

Also, Arsenal 3-0 under Carlos - I missed that, I was flying back from Poland.

On a positive note:

Boxing Day massacre. Wasn’t the term coined by the Blades pre- match?

74 relegation season 4-4 v runaway leaders Man U (think we barely scored another 4 all season).

Arsenal 3-0 under Carlos.

On a negative, I’d like to add some of the losses during our first stint in division 3, but we were so poor, a 1-0 at Halifax and 3-0 at Mansfield were hardly against the form books.

Liverpool away September 84. 

15 years old and first away game travelling without my grandad. 

The whole experience was a shock from getting on the train, getting to the ground, the match and then the train ride home. 

The other shock was my dad's face when I got home stinking of alcohol. He wasn't bothered but I thought he'd go mental

2 minutes ago, Tylluan said:

Liverpool away September 84. 

15 years old and first away game travelling without my grandad. 

The whole experience was a shock from getting on the train, getting to the ground, the match and then the train ride home. 

The other shock was my dad's face when I got home stinking of alcohol. He wasn't bothered but I thought he'd go mental

You over 50 Ty? I never knew that.

The game that always sticks in my mind is the 3-3 game with Manchester United at S6, we were 2-0 up at HT & then Sheridan made it 3-0 shortly after the interval, how on earth we blew that game I'll never know.

Positives 

4-2 win at Blackburn in the League Cup, that was the best performance by a SWFC team.

Beating Manchester United 3-1 Alexandersson double & a Booth goal sealed the victory.

Another Man U game in the Big Ron era (for them).

I think they started the season played 10 won 10, then picked up a midweek draw at Luton, then came to Hillsborough on a sunny Saturday. A late Lee Chapman header at the kop end giving us a 1-0 victory.

• Like 1

Two losses….

Big ones. That battering at Arsenal in the early 90s, and that home battering V Forest… Both horrific memories.

The first time I remember being pissed off with a loss was that FA cup 5 goal battering in that run of games V Everton mid 80s.

I can’t really pick a particular winning shock off the top of my head, but beating people in Div 1 in that first season back with Trev in charge… 

Spurs away was one I loved. 

Edited by HoylandOwl

1 hour ago, M42Owl said:

Another Man U game in the Big Ron era (for them).

I think they started the season played 10 won 10, then picked up a midweek draw at Luton, then came to Hillsborough on a sunny Saturday. A late Lee Chapman header at the kop end giving us a 1-0 victory.

Yep, huge crowd that day, Kop went absolutely mental when we scored 

Man U faded after that and not sure how long Big Ron lasted. Not a shock well only in the sense that it seems such a long time ago now that we were matching these sides on the pitch

Biggest shock from a negative point of view was Forest at home 89/90. 

Losing 3-0 then the Luton rumour starts flying round and the groundswell of relief rises and rises until it comes crashing down when the true result comes through. 

Never left a ground so dejected since.

BDM - they were riding high, we were off the pace. Not so much that we won the game, but the fact that we thrashed them.

The away wins at both Anfield and Old Trafford in 84-85. To win at both after all those years out of the top flight was the stuff dreams are made of.

The 4-4 v Man Utd that’s already been mentioned, could not believe it when we were 3-1 up at half time.

More recently - the 3-0 v Arsenal.

Shocks you’ve seen in person…

The 1-0 at home to Man U in 85 was a shock for me as I was very young, stood on the Kop. It was early November. They’d won all bar one game and were seemingly running away with the title already.
The kop was packed, I hadn’t seen it like that before. And the only other thing I can recall was seeing the net bulge and then the colossal noise when Chapman scored, again, like nothing I had heard or experienced before! 
Pretty sure Ron lasted about a year before being fired and replaced by Fergie. 

Enough already said about Forest 0-3. Heart wrenching.

You’d have to consider the  League cup final win a shock really given we were a second division team, a good one bit still a division below one of the country's top sides. 

Losing to Leeds 1-6 was awful. Really hurt at the time. I had seen us play them off the park at Elland Rd earlier in the season, only to finish undeservedly drawing 1-1. We felt sure of a home win, despite them being top, we were 3rd after all.  Yet we looked really off the pace from the get go. The game & result though was horrific. We weee so poor.

The Pigs defeat at home in 92 was hard to accept and again, another big shock. Given thier ramshackle side fill of donkeys v our classy first 11. And even now it’s almost hard to take given the wide gulf in class. We all felt sure the 2-0 defeat at theirs was going to avenged.
We just didn’t get going really. 

Given that Trevor Francis had played in two European cup finals, he did pretty badly as a manager in big games that mattered looking back. 

Edited by ChineseYellowLorry

3 hours ago, owl4ever1867 said:

The game that always sticks in my mind is the 3-3 game with Manchester United at S6, we were 2-0 up at HT & then Sheridan made it 3-0 shortly after the interval, how on earth we blew that game I'll never know.

Positives 

4-2 win at Blackburn in the League Cup, that was the best performance by a SWFC team.

Beating Manchester United 3-1 Alexandersson double & a Booth goal sealed the victory.

Did you go to any of those games. 

And it wasn't Booth who sealed it, Jonk scored 

31 minutes ago, Reesh said:

Did you go to any of those games. 

And it wasn't Booth who sealed it, Jonk scored 

You're right Jonk did score.

Yep went to all 3 of those games, 30 minutes after the Blackburn game I got a call from the renal unit in Leeds to say they had a kidney for me, it was a double celebration that night, I had tickets for the home leg but had to watch it in the hospital due to complications after the operation.

15 minutes ago, owl4ever1867 said:

You're right Jonk did score.

Yep went to all 3 of those games, 30 minutes after the Blackburn game I got a call from the renal unit in Leeds to say they had a kidney for me, it was a double celebration that night, I had tickets for the home leg but had to watch it in the hospital due to complications after the operation.

Brilliant news. 

• Like 1

Personally the most completely stunned I’ve ever been after a Wednesday defeat was the 1-3 at home to the grunters in 92.  We had a superb side.  We did the double over Chelsea. West Ham and Man City that season, and took four points off Man U and Spurs.  The defeat at the Lane was gut wrenching but not completely unexpected given the atmosphere and level of commitment from the home side.  I was expecting us to put them fuckers well and truly in their place at Hillsborough.  Was quite a long way from that.

Best positive surprise was probably the 2-0 at Anfield in 84.  Let’s face it they were probably the best team in the world at that point in time.

One match which I remember losing 5-0 to Norwich at home in 2001. Four nil down at half time plus Maclaren sent off. To me that personified how low we had sunk at that time.

on the plus side, not so much as a shock now but beating Manchester United in the early 90’s when Jemson scored twice. I was only a youngster and beating them was a big deal

6 minutes ago, Morley Owl said:

One match which I remember losing 5-0 to Norwich at home in 2001. Four nil down at half time plus Maclaren sent off. To me that personified how low we had sunk at that time.

on the plus side, not so much as a shock now but beating Manchester United in the early 90’s when Jemson scored twice. I was only a youngster and beating them was a big deal

That Norwich game was around Christmas weren't it. 

Beating Man Yoo at home seemed to be a given but I get what ya mean, didn't we end their unbeaten start to that season. 

5 minutes ago, Reesh said:

That Norwich game was around Christmas weren't it. 

Beating Man Yoo at home seemed to be a given but I get what ya mean, didn't we end their unbeaten start to that season. 

Just checked Norwich game 29th December 2001.  
unfortunately In the 1994-95 season I was at the City ground when they outclassed us 4-1 then at Hillsborough for the 7-1 defeat.

A more pleasant experience was beating Watford in the League cup with one the worst teams I can remember. Hamshaws wonder goal sticks in the mind

1 hour ago, Morley Owl said:

I was on about that game the other day.

it’s the only time I’ve left with half an hour of the game to go. 

12 hours ago, owl4ever1867 said:

Positives 

I was ball boy at the Man U game. 

Don’t know if it’s a shock as such but being 3-0 up at Highbury in our last season in the prem, finally thinking I might see us win there, only for them to come back and get a 3-3 draw. 

And that was that. Goodbye PL - I never thought at the time that over 2 decades on we still wouldn’t have got back there! 

Not the biggest shock result in our history but I did enjoy the win at Villa Park in the League Cup in 01-02. A lovely pass from Donnelly for Ekoku to score and there was a really good atmosphere in the away section that night.

I seem to recall Villa had some decent players in the team, including Schmeichel and Ginola, but thankfully also Bosko Balaban up front.

I found someone’s phone on the way out and managed to get it back to them before they left for Sheffield so a good deed done as well. 

28 minutes ago, Bellsview said:

Don’t know if it’s a shock as such but being 3-0 up at Highbury in our last season in the prem, finally thinking I might see us win there, only for them to come back and get a 3-3 draw. 

And that was that. Goodbye PL - I never thought at the time that over 2 decades on we still wouldn’t have got back there! 

Sibon at 3-0... To make it 4-0... Hits the post. That would have ended it and I think we might have stayed up

One game that hasn't been mentioned yet is Fratton Park 2003, Portsmouths promotion party.

Full house, top of the league comfortably, here comes the side bottom of the league and doomed to relegation.

Expecting a 4 or 5-0 Portsmouth victory, Bradbury makes it 1-0. Here we go, flood gates opening.

Doesn't happen. We actually give them a game.

Westwood as a rwb grabs a deserved equaliser. Then as the final seconds approach, Reddy intercepts a free kick - runs clean through and slots the ball past Hislop to stun a Fratton Park crowd. We win the game 2-1

Typical of Wednesday that the next game they draw 0-0 with Grimsby all but relegating the club

It was sang right from the fixtures being released. . I think they copied and sang it as well, there's a change.

Then, during the BDM game,the Wednesday fans were singing it 'ironically' and it thus entered folklore. 

Edited by Skamp

22 hours ago, Owling_Wolf said:

14 hours ago, Tank_Owl2,0 said:

BDM

That League Cup win at Villa was certainly surprising 

The 5-0 battering at home to Everton

losing to Florists in90

You can't be a fully functioning adult, no normal person says Florists, Notlob etc grow the fuck up