Jump to content

Euros 2024


Recommended Posts

9 minutes ago, Andyben said:

But others would be better 

It depends on how negative the opposition is. The better the team, the more freedom our top players will get.

Our only true passer in the last third is Kane. Even the likes of Bellingham and Foden are better known for their ball carrying abilities. 

If you break down the four midfield players. Rice and Gallagher are high energy. Mainoo and Wharton are continuity players. TAA is the only one with range in his passing. Against shit teams that range makes a difference.

But against good teams, he will be taken apart defensively both as a right back and as a central midfield player.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, KrolMong said:

It depends on how negative the opposition is. The better the team, the more freedom our top players will get.

Our only true passer in the last third is Kane. Even the likes of Bellingham and Foden are better known for their ball carrying abilities. 

If you break down the four midfield players. Rice and Gallagher are high energy. Mainoo and Wharton are continuity players. TAA is the only one with range in his passing. Against shit teams that range makes a difference.

But against good teams, he will be taken apart defensively both as a right back and as a central midfield player.

Once Wharton gets in that team, I don't think he'll be out again.  He's the player that can link it all together.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

All the official fan zones stopped admitting at 3pm due to overcrowding. Local police were just telling the Jocks who couldn't get in to go "find somewhere else". The fact that many bars ran out of beer when they first invaded means the locals seriously underestimated the numbers

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, bradowl said:

Scotland would struggle to beat Sheffield United. 🤣

Come on mate, don’t exaggerate.  As far as I can see they’ve all got two legs, and there’s no guide dogs on the pitch, so they ought to score three or four against the Blades. 🤣

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Scotland were borderline embarrassing. It was Xisco like at times. They are playing wingbacks, and they were so narrow that they allowed Wirtz and Musiała absolute freedom even with a back five.

What was worse was that when they got the ball, they could not complete more than three passes before they launched it to a lone striker who didn’t win one battle.

It was a nailed on pen and red. And 5-1 genuinely flattered Scotland. I don’t think anyone should get carried away with Germany. They beat a very poor international side.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, KrolMong said:

It depends on how negative the opposition is. The better the team, the more freedom our top players will get.

Our only true passer in the last third is Kane. Even the likes of Bellingham and Foden are better known for their ball carrying abilities. 

If you break down the four midfield players. Rice and Gallagher are high energy. Mainoo and Wharton are continuity players. TAA is the only one with range in his passing. Against shit teams that range makes a difference.

But against good teams, he will be taken apart defensively both as a right back and as a central midfield player.

Out of interest, mate, looking at our matches and possible tournament progression, against what opponents do you think TAA would be an option in Midfield?

Slovenia perhaps but the midfields of Denmark and Serbia would terrorise him, so why bother for just one match?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Andyben said:

Out of interest, mate, looking at our matches and possible tournament progression, against what opponents do you think TAA would be an option in Midfield?

Slovenia perhaps but the midfields of Denmark and Serbia would terrorise him, so why bother for just one match?

 

**** shouldn't be in the squad never mind starting.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well, I expected to lose last night. Not entirely convinced I ever thought it would be so ridiculously one sided, although my initial '2-0 defeat' estimate did start to feel somewhat iffy during the pre-match build-up.

Admittedly, Scotland are a tad limited. However, this was like a re-enactment of a club like, say, Stirling Albion visiting Parkhead in a Scottish Cup tie. Complete failure to string anything together, no goal threat whatsoever and no legs to enable us to get up the pitch.

Steve Clarke has done a tremendous job in recent years. Football is a results business and he / the players have delivered. With what little he has to work with, he's undoubtedly overachieved. Qualifying for both this and the previous Euros, plus the World Cup play-offs. The only home nation in the 'A' Groups of the Nations League (yes, I realise that's a quirk of the competition but it's still a fact at the moment) and we even qualified for Euro 2024 before England did. Unheard of!

All that said, however, last night was a national embarrassment. Pathetic on a grand scale from start to finish. Time for a much needed, positive, response although neither Switzerland nor Hungary could exactly be described as 'easy' opponents.

A couple of side notes. Firstly, sad to hear the pundits going on about 'confidence' during and after the gubbing. There's no such thing. It's all in the head. Same with 'pressure'. It's all garbage. Made-up nonsense to make themselves sound knowledgeable. I'm afraid, if players can't deliver a consistent performance, game in, game out, they're in the wrong job.

Secondly, I enjoyed 'new' VAR. Very impressive.

Oh, and one last thing - Ryan Porteous - good to see your tackling 'style' hasn't changed since you left Hibs. Learn to screw the nut for once in your life, ya fucking headcase.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

That's the thing.

He shouldn't be trusted the first two matches as it will cost us points, nor in  any KO rounds so what's the point of bringing someone for what SHOULD BE a dead rubber?

Play he midfield you want to start in the KO rounds from day one to let them gel 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Andyben said:

Out of interest, mate, looking at our matches and possible tournament progression, against what opponents do you think TAA would be an option in Midfield?

Slovenia perhaps but the midfields of Denmark and Serbia would terrorise him, so why bother for just one match?

 

He’ll go with Gallagher and Rice. He might play right back in the group stages if we play Walker at Centre Half or we play a back three and he plays at wing back.

You’ll likely see him come on in midfield if the opposition sits in against us.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, EastCraigsOwl said:

Well, I expected to lose last night. Not entirely convinced I ever thought it would be so ridiculously one sided, although my initial '2-0 defeat' estimate did start to feel somewhat iffy during the pre-match build-up.

Admittedly, Scotland are a tad limited. However, this was like a re-enactment of a club like, say, Stirling Albion visiting Parkhead in a Scottish Cup tie. Complete failure to string anything together, no goal threat whatsoever and no legs to enable us to get up the pitch.

Steve Clarke has done a tremendous job in recent years. Football is a results business and he / the players have delivered. With what little he has to work with, he's undoubtedly overachieved. Qualifying for both this and the previous Euros, plus the World Cup play-offs. The only home nation in the 'A' Groups of the Nations League (yes, I realise that's a quirk of the competition but it's still a fact at the moment) and we even qualified for Euro 2024 before England did. Unheard of!

All that said, however, last night was a national embarrassment. Pathetic on a grand scale from start to finish. Time for a much needed, positive, response although neither Switzerland nor Hungary could exactly be described as 'easy' opponents.

A couple of side notes. Firstly, sad to hear the pundits going on about 'confidence' during and after the gubbing. There's no such thing. It's all in the head. Same with 'pressure'. It's all garbage. Made-up nonsense to make themselves sound knowledgeable. I'm afraid, if players can't deliver a consistent performance, game in, game out, they're in the wrong job.

Secondly, I enjoyed 'new' VAR. Very impressive.

Oh, and one last thing - Ryan Porteous - good to see your tackling 'style' hasn't changed since you left Hibs. Learn to screw the nut for once in your life, ya fucking headcase.

Of course pressure and confidence is all in the head, that’s kind of the point. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Andyben said:

That's the thing.

He shouldn't be trusted the first two matches as it will cost us points, nor in  any KO rounds so what's the point of bringing someone for what SHOULD BE a dead rubber?

Play he midfield you want to start in the KO rounds from day one to let them gel 

As we discussed on here many times over the last few seasons re our own players/ squad, square pegs and all that. GS has had plenty of time to figure out the permutations and who is capable of playing where and who has proven themselves at club level, so there should be no need to fecking experiment at a big tournament with players out of their normal position. I’m neither a supporter or detractor of GS but if we don’t get to the final 4 of this tournament he needs to go with no ifs or buts, there are better English coaches out there compared to when he was appointed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...