Will the Owls warn off the Canaries?

2 minutes ago, Tewksbury said:

Wednesday seem to have had this habit for the last couple of years of playing the 'better' players, the 'footballers' and losing.

Then we bring in the shithouses, get some results on the board and suddenly think "just think how good we'd be if we had a couple of the 'better' players back in the side and get battered again.

As Stuart Gray once said, needs the right mix of soldiers and artists and I suppose that mix changes each game.

• Like 2

Anyone that says Patterson shouldn’t be playing is just stupid. We need that last 35 minutes team for the rest of the season stop messing about and get it lobbed into the box. 

It’s still the hope that kills you and we aren’t going to stay up pissin about with it at the back. Sleeves rolled up get at them and we might just might have an outside chance.

Anything other than a win Saturday and it’s over.

UTO Keep the faith cos I lost mine after Huddersfield away. 😂😂😂 

Anyone for Blackburn away? 🙌🙌🙌🙌

1 hour ago, KrolMong said:

A proper ale house second half led by Callum Paterson. He was outstanding.

We were very fortunate in that we absolutely should have been 5-0 down before we scored our first, but, the effort was there even if the quality wasn’t. And when we got the first, you could feel we would get a second, Norwich were creaking physically.

Massive point.

This.

Pato and Vaulks changed the tempo of the whole team. Vaulks’ first touch IIRC was a sliding block for a ball out wide, on halfway: he bust a gut to get there. Pato, as KM said. Alehouse at times but my god did he do a job. He deserved to score, he was everywhere. Their back line who may as well have had a cigar on in the first half didn’t know what to do with him.

That endeavour and belief flowed through the team because of them two, aided by the other two at half time, on either flank. Valentin and Pedersen. Cadamarteri joined in too when he came on, and played his part as well.

While the nervy bullshit start was magnified with that second goal, and Beadle got DOGS abuse from a bloke behind us who was pissed, constantly screaming at him to fuck off back to Brighton. No complaints though when he made numerous saves to stop it going 3-0. 

same prick was shouting sack DR too…..

Anyway. Off to bed now: up the Owls. Bring on Stoke City

• Like 1

Pato got the crowd going too in the first minute of the second half chasing across their back four and making the last guy blast it out for a throw

it was brilliant later on when he went chasing a back pass to their goalie and one of their centre half’s tried to block him and just carried on running and flattened him 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, bradowl said:

Disastrous start not helped by faffing about with it at the back in very blustery conditions. Game could have been over by half time had Norwich took their chances. 

Change of personal and tactics at half time turned things around, we looked far better even though Norwich still looked a threat at times. 

All the substitutes did well, especially Patterson and Valentin. 

And Vaulks. Some testing long throws and a pair of superb, dropping corners.  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, HarrySpeakup said:

Pato got the crowd going too in the first minute of the second half chasing across their back four and making the last guy blast it out for a throw

it was brilliant later on when he went chasing a back pass to their goalie and one of their centre half’s tried to block him and just carried on running and flattened him 

Absolutely knocked his neck in whilst the dullard was trying to make him go the long way around when closing own! I said to my mate at the time, "He won't do that again!"

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, HarrySpeakup said:

That was quite funny as their player just stood there to block him and then was sent flying, was surprised the ref didn't blow for a foul though as he did most times when they fell over with hardly any contact.

It's a battle against Stoke. Patto Must start and DR needs to think his other picks too. Still, on balance in our hands to a certain extent, but we need to finish a set of games out of the bottom 3 this weekend, it will breed confidence.

#going to the wire this is.

UTO

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Lee said:

It's a battle against Stoke. Patto Must start and DR needs to think his other picks too. Still, on balance in our hands to a certain extent, but we need to finish a set of games out of the bottom 3 this weekend, it will breed confidence.

#going to the wire this is.

UTO

I don't think Pato's fit enough to start, Lee, though what a talisman that lad is!   

I don't think it will be an up and at em style v Stoke ( well not to start with).

You get the inkling Rohl wants us to play football the pass and move way, that you can't really sustain the direct style for 90 minutes. 

I mean with a bit more precision then Norwich could have scored 2 or 3 on the counter in the 2nd, as much as us scoring the 2 we did.

Our nice let's play football style plays into the hands of the top teams. I keep repeating Rohl has almost too much belief in our players abilities.

18 minutes ago, mkowl said:

I don't think it will be an up and at em style v Stoke ( well not to start with).

You get the inkling Rohl wants us to play football the pass and move way, that you can't really sustain the direct style for 90 minutes. 

I mean with a bit more precision then Norwich could have scored 2 or 3 on the counter in the 2nd, as much as us scoring the 2 we did.

Our nice let's play football style plays into the hands of the top teams. I keep repeating Rohl has almost too much belief in our players abilities.

We have a side built for sitting in and counterattacking, but try to pass it about and get hit on the counter every time ourselves.

Edited by Tewksbury
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, mkowl said:

He has belief in his way is the way forward…. And he’s set his stall out. 

HOWEVER….

He’s also shown the nous to change things, go longer, not to be too stubborn.  Last night the perfect example

It is rare I get angry about Wednesday.  I think it is ingrained in me just to take it and move on.  However, I am still fuming at that first half.

From the god awful lack of ability back 4, to the ageing wide open centre midfield to the lacklustre can't be arsed 'forward / playmaker / Balon D'or contender' (Windass).  

I do excuse Beadle from the criticism as think if he has the defenders with better / any ability on the ball he can play the passing game at the back.   Plus he made a few cracking saves to stop it being more  

Message to Danny Rohl - our players are not as good as you believe against the better sides.  Pick your team and formations accordingly.  On the plus side he changed things drastically and it paid off to a certain extent.

• Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, Hirstys 12th Pint said:

It is rare I get angry about Wednesday.  I think it is ingrained in me just to take it and move on.  However, I am still fuming at that first half.

From the god awful lack of ability back 4, to the ageing wide open centre midfield to the lacklustre can't be arsed 'forward / playmaker / Balon D'or contender' (Windass).  

I do excuse Beadle from the criticism as think if he has the defenders with better / any ability on the ball he can play the passing game at the back.   Plus he made a few cracking saves to stop it being more  

Message to Danny Rohl - our players are not as good as you believe against the better sides.  Pick your team and formations accordingly.  On the plus side he changed things drastically and it paid off to a certain extent.

It might have only been two games since his return, but bloody hell. Waste of a shirt in those games.. 

Compare his application, to that of Pato. 

I don’t blame Rohl for wanting to play out. The passes we were not making were not due to an aggressive press, but simply due to player mistakes. If Norwich were pressing like animals, and we persisted, you could blame Rohl, but they didn’t. They literally just had to stand still and we gave them the ball back.

I cannot accept that any professional footballer in this era cannot find a fellow player from 10 yards away under minimal pressure. If a player can’t, they need to sit in the stand and pack it in.

The fact that Rohl had to go ale house in the second half is an indictment of our players inability to do what most 14 year olds can do.

• Like 2

Our defenders get hammered, but look at the options opposition defenders have to pass to compared to ours.

The midfield should be creating passing opportunities and getting in space.

Also, how many times has an opposition player got the jump on Bannan from behind this season when he's receiving the ball from a defender and slow to react? You can tell they're watching for it.

28 minutes ago, Tewksbury said:

Our defenders get hammered, but look at the options opposition defenders have to pass to compared to ours.

The midfield should be creating passing opportunities and getting in space.

Also, how many times has an opposition player got the jump on Bannan from behind this season when he's receiving the ball from a defender and slow to react? You can tell they're watching for it.

Bannan very much looked like a player with time catching up on him rapidly last night.   Not helped by having Palmer next to him and acres of space for the Norwich midfield.

55 minutes ago, Hirstys 12th Pint said:

Bannan very much looked like a player with time catching up on him rapidly last night.   Not helped by having Palmer next to him and acres of space for the Norwich midfield.

As the game wore on, Bannan drifted to the left, where he always was more effective and did better.

In the first half though, he wasn’t at it at all. 

1 minute ago, HoylandOwl said:

As the game wore on, Bannan drifted to the left, where he always was more effective and did better.

In the first half though, he wasn’t at it at all. 

You knew it was going wrong when he hit the no look pass across the pitch and out of touch in the first couple of minutes.

When he's under pressure he always drifts left, that's the problem as he leaves whoever else is there up shit creek with 3/4 of the pitch to cover.

Bannan still a key player but the team as a whole suffered when he played cm in a 2 even a few years ago. So even moreso now as he’s still got the quality on the ball but off it he will need younger legs around him. If he stops on next season that will be crucial either the right midfield partner (perhaps Diaby was supposed to do this) or have him as part of a midfield 3. That three we had of Luongo, Bannan and Byers had a bit of everything at L1 level. Perhaps a similar approach could work at this level with the right players 

Edited by TheExile

6 minutes ago, TheExile said:

Bannan still a key player but the team as a whole suffered when he played cm in a 2 even a few years ago. So even moreso now as he’s still got the quality on the ball but off it he will need younger legs around him. If he stops on next season that will be crucial either the right midfield partner (perhaps Diaby was supposed to do this) or have him as part of a midfield 3. That three we had of Luongo, Bannan and Byers had a bit of everything at L1 level. Perhaps a similar approach could work at this level with the right players 

He's a key player for the opposition, gifting them possession or wasting our set pieces.

Hopefully Rohl has sussed him and fucks him off.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TheExile said:

Bannan still a key player but the team as a whole suffered when he played cm in a 2 even a few years ago. So even moreso now as he’s still got the quality on the ball but off it he will need younger legs around him. If he stops on next season that will be crucial either the right midfield partner (perhaps Diaby was supposed to do this) or have him as part of a midfield 3. That three we had of Luongo, Bannan and Byers had a bit of everything at L1 level. 

On no account should Bannan be starting next season, and it's madness to build another midfield around him.

We've done it for years now and our midfield has been shocking for that entire time.

Sub or gone, with a new midfield.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Reesh said:

He's a key player for the opposition, gifting them possession or wasting our set pieces.

Hopefully Rohl has sussed him and fucks him off.

He would have been better at Centre Back instead of Diaby if we were hell bent on passing it around the defence.  I use the term passing loosely.

51 minutes ago, TheExile said:

A lovely set of follow up results tonight. Better than expected. Huge chance to take control a bit more at the weekend 

I was fully expecting Birmingham to get at least a point against Cardiff to put us back to 2nd bottom. 

Them losing with added bonus of Stoke and Blackburn also losing are 3 excellent results for us. 

After Blackburn won 5-1 at Sunderland I expected them to pull clear. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, bradowl said:

I was fully expecting Birmingham to get at least a point against Cardiff to put us back to 2nd bottom. 

Them losing with added bonus of Stoke and Blackburn also losing are 3 excellent results for us. 

That weren't half a freak result though, you always get them at this time of the year.

The key for me is trying to keep level headed. We are on a positive trend for sure, we have the opportunity to be in control of our own destiny which looked unfeasible 4 months ago. But we are still in the relegation places

The biggest danger would be getting out the bottom 3 this Saturday and thinking job done. 

I think it will be one very edgy game

9 hours ago, bradowl said:

I think it just shows how similar all the teams are at the bottom end. We have been  tanked a few times but then go and win. We could have lost 5-0 to Norwich but draw 2-2. With that in mind this defeat for Stoke could either deflate or spur them into a response but impossible to predict. I suspect having a short turnaround and then having to come here will barely allow the dust to settle though 

Let's not forget, this is the Championship. It's unpredictable as fuck.

The dyslexic Rangers probably thought they were on a good thing last Saturday (we certainly thought we were on a bad thing!). Back to back wins over Easter and playing at home to a Wednesday side with 1 point from their last 4.

It's that which makes Stoke more dangerous on Saturday than potentially otherwise. A 3-0 defeat can be a blessing or a curse. There's no way of knowing 'til around 54 hours from now. And the inconsistent nature of results across the board should be ample enough warning for any player or supporter.

Interesting times ahead...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, TheExile said:

I think it just shows how similar all the teams are at the bottom end. We have been  tanked a few times but then go and win. We could have lost 5-0 to Norwich but draw 2-2. With that in mind this defeat for Stoke could either deflate or spur them into a response but impossible to predict. I suspect having a short turnaround and then having to come here will barely allow the dust to settle though 

Both Stoke and Blackburn will have had crappy journeys back from Swansea and Bristol respectively before another away game on the Saturday.  Not ideal for either.

Blackburn are the early kick off too at Leeds.

22 minutes ago, wollowl said:

Birmingham now favourites for the drop with the bookies. Wednesday 2nd but only just ahead of Huddersfield.

Birmingham are at Rotherham a week on Saturday, that's 3 points on board. 

3 hours ago, Hirstys 12th Pint said:

Both Stoke and Blackburn will have had crappy journeys back from Swansea and Bristol respectively before another away game on the Saturday.  Not ideal for either.

Blackburn are the early kick off too at Leeds.

Leeds will be desperately frustrated after being held by the Mackems also

2 hours ago, bradowl said:

Birmingham are at Rotherham a week on Saturday, that's 3 points on board. 

Yep, because of that I think it’s more likely between us Plymouth and Huddersfield for those two spots with Stoke Birmingham and Blackburn more likely to have just enough, unless we beat Stoke and Blackburn that is at which point we’d be trading places 

15 minutes ago, TheExile said:

Yep, because of that I think it’s more likely between us Plymouth and Huddersfield for those two spots with Stoke Birmingham and Blackburn more likely to have just enough, unless we beat Stoke and Blackburn that is at which point we’d be trading places 

So basically any team from 18th to 22nd then? Wish I could have figured that out. It's like having mystic Meg posting...

Honestly dude, just chill out and enjoy the ride.

Edited by Otto_Man
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Otto_Man said:

So basically any team from 18th to 22nd then? Wish I could have figured that out. It's like having mystic Meg posting...

Honestly dude, just chill out and enjoy the ride.

I guess mystic Meg should have predicted this kind of response. If anyone needs to chill out it’s you