Let's hope it doesn't go tits up

On 23/02/2024 at 10:20, Hirstys 12th Pint said:

Results go right and it could be a very good weekend.

On 23/02/2024 at 10:44, Andyben said:

New to this Wednesday supporting malarkey are we?

Bound t be an awful set of results after recent glimmers of hope

👀

Thank fuck that Smith one on one didn't come back to haunt us, you simply can not afford to miss those kind of chances, especially being in the position we are in and being down to 10 men.

Thank christ we won after Huddersfield, QPR & Milwall decided to turn up as well, especially Huddersfield & Milwall with a win at Watford & Southampton.

Top job Wednesday but my god I didn't think my heart would hold out!!

Just now, Snap said:

WTF happened with Bernard, I missed it.

Probably due to nearly falling asleep listening to the most boring Scottish nobber in the most monotone voice.

Three points though, and that's all we could do today.

He mistimed a tackle and scythed one of their players down. It was worthy of a second booking. He’ll miss the Toytown game now.

• Like 1

That was actually a very comfortable win. We were better with and without the ball. We created the better chances, Beadle had little to do. We kept shape and discipline, we won the ball back in good areas and our forwards posed different questions.

Very important win and some really good displays from Valentin, Palmer, Vaulks, Poveda and Johnson.

I said at Leicester, that’s our strongest 11, with Palmer either in alongside Ihiekwe, or in alongside Vaulks. We can swap between 5 and 4. I would say that we might have the balance between going all out and having enough attacking threat but being defensively sound.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, KrolMong said:

That was actually a very comfortable win. We were better with and without the ball. We created the better chances, Beadle had little to do. We kept shape and discipline, we won the ball back in good areas and our forwards posed different questions.

Very important win and some really good displays from Valentin, Palmer, Vaulks, Poveda and Johnson.

I said at Leicester, that’s our strongest 11, with Palmer either in alongside Ihiekwe, or in alongside Vaulks. We can swap between 5 and 4. I would say that we might have the balance between going all out and having enough attacking threat but being defensively sound.

It was but I still think my blood pressure was sky high last 10 minutes plus injury time. 🤣

52 minutes ago, bradowl said:

It was but I still think my blood pressure was sky high last 10 minutes plus injury time. 🤣

Interestingly, Rohl got it wrong for the first 5 mins after the red. We played a 4-3-2, and their right back was waltzing up the pitch unopposed. He then went 4-4-1, and forced him inside and we looked safer.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, KrolMong said:

Interestingly, Rohl got it wrong for the first 5 mins after the red. We played a 4-3-2, and their right back was waltzing up the pitch unopposed. He then went 4-4-1, and forced him inside and we looked safer.

I noticed he was in deep conversation with Powell, shortly afterwards our tactics changed (as you say) & we looked alot better defensively.

Very professional performance today. Played when we could and dug in when we needed.

Ugbo took those goals like a proper seasoned striker. 
A shame about Bernard bc he’s been very good this season but at least he’s not injured and we have Iorfa and Famewo to come back.

Play like we have been against Rotherham and we have a chance.

• Like 1

Great to see the connection between the players and supporters today, normally last 5 to 10 minutes you see fans drifting out of ground even when we are winning but today majority stopped right till end and even then stayed behind to cheer the players off. 

1 hour ago, Snap said:

With regards to the ref, he did give a foul early on down in the Kop/South stand corner. Their full back was chasing the ball towards the corner, think it was Valentin behind him, hardly touched the lad and he went down, foul given. I thought here we go but straight after that he wasn't having any of their shenanigans, as much as they tried. Maybe the lino flagged and the ref felt compelled to give it. Two decent refs on the trot now which begs the questions. Do we only admit to having decent refs when we win, or do we win because we have decent refs.

It definitely helps when we get refs who don’t give soft free kicks when we are trying to win the ball back quickly on the turnover. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, KrolMong said:

Ugbo?

2 hours ago, Snap said:

Yeah, poor old Gassama did look like he'd lost a tanner by being shackled, Bannan had to put his arm round him. He's still young and just needs to learn the team comes first.

Thought we looked really bright down the right today with the interchanging of Valentin, Palmer and Poveda. Bannan was OK'ish, certainly not at his best. Vaulks is a borderline nutter at times, he had my heart in my mouth 2/3 times. Musaba is just one of them players that when he gets the ball it's a bit of brilliance ar a fxxx up. Poveda is a real box of tricks, i'd love to sign him permanent, can dream can't I. Same with my MOTM Ugbo, he's a jewel, enjoy them both whilst we have them I suppose. Great to see big Dom get a few minutes. Still can't see how Ihiekwe wasn't getting a game previously. Bernard again will learn from that hopefully, slow to react whilst waiting for the whistle and got himself the first yellow, another I'd love to sign.

Who did I miss? Johnson was good, some sterling defensive work (where did the "C" go) and his cross for the second goal. Smith? Well what can you say, hopeless at one on ones, just too slow mentally and physically and really should have eased all our fears by dancing round the keeper and slotting home. Beadle will I think become a good keeper, them panic modes he slips into at times though ffs have me sweating.

Wish we had Paterson available, just for his enthusiasm if nothing else.

Credit to DR and his staff. Whatever happens he has at least given us some hope when all looked lost.

"Vaulks is a borderline nutter at times"    🤣

• Haha 1

It was a good game today IMO. We deserved it, grew into the game and even after Bernard got sent off (where I genuinely had a Kamara, There’s been a sending off  ‘ I don’t know, has there?’ Moment as I thought he was being subbed off) .. We didn’t give them a shot on target. Although Wells I think it was spooned one over from about 10 yards, did have me worried momentarily!

Theres been a real sense of unity re-instilled in the group. You could see it at the end of the game, and like DR said on the radio, the players who have been here a bit, and the new ones have a connection. If you needed proof, see Musaba and Poveda leading the celebrations at the end.

Today was another example of the job that DR has done already, regardless of what comes next. We're more than in with a shout of staying in this division, and that is firmly because of him IMO. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HoylandOwl said:

It was a good game today IMO. We deserved it, grew into the game and even after Bernard got sent off (where I genuinely had a Kamara, There’s been a sending off  ‘ I don’t know, has there?’ Moment as I thought he was being subbed off) .. We didn’t give them a shot on target. Although Wells I think it was spooned one over from about 10 yards, did have me worried momentarily!

Theres been a real sense of unity re-instilled in the group. You could see it at the end of the game, and like DR said on the radio, the players who have been here a bit, and the new ones have a connection. If you needed proof, see Musaba and Poveda leading the celebrations at the end.

Today was another example of the job that DR has done already, regardless of what comes next. We're more than in with a shout of staying in this division, and that is firmly because of him IMO. 

Musaba and Poveda were loving it weren't they !

Could Poveda if signed permanently be the Bannan heir apparent  ? 

Great result for us!

Pol is really shinning now and the recent news focus he’s had explains why time is required when picking up foreign players. 

One thing to add I thought it was obvious Bannan had a bit of reservation about his play today - he was clearly playing with the knowledge one more yellow knocked him out of the next game! 
We need Bazza for the next 2 games without a shadow of doubt.

I’ve rightly or wrongly baked in a loss against Leeds  in my head and am praying for maximum points in the next 2!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Hirstys 12th Pint said:

Could Poveda if signed permanently be the Bannan heir apparent  ? 

Poveda is what we'd have had if buildjng the team arpund FF instead of BB 

Its Kieran Lee we've never replaced.

Edited by Andyben
  • Like 1

The key aspect yesterday was going again after the setback of conceding from the corner. Not long ago that would have killed any confidence. Now I was only watching not at the game, but the crowd seemed not to panic or grumble. 

Some of our attacking play is quite decent, let down by poor decision or application, but Ugbo gives that bit of quality. The first goal is actually really a great turn and finish, not something I have seen for ages. He still managed an air shot later.

Defensively still a bit too open at times, why we need to push forward as the first line of it, not sit back thinking job done.

First 10 minutes of the 2nd half I thought we were going to do that but did get a grip and looked more likely to score again.

I appreciate its not easy to get that balance when ahead in games.

I know the other results did not go our way, but part of me thinks if we did get ahead there could be a sense of job done. What it proves to everyone this might go to game 46

There seems to be some deep seated issues at Stoke since Rowetts time there. They remind me of us in the early 00s albeit with more money but some kind of negative cloud or culture dragging them down no matter what they try. They might need a complete reset 

2 hours ago, owl71 said:

Is it wrong to want Leeds to go up, because then they’re more likely to let us have Poveda permanently?  Certainly a dilemma.

They don’t want him anymore. We were close to signing him on a permanent anyway.

Stay up, he’s ours IMO

• Like 1

As Reesh said, his contract is up in the summer.

Interestingly, if I heard correctly, Rhöl said in his post match RS interview that he has a special relationship/understanding with the player. Perhaps fairly confident that the player wants to play for him. Keep Rhöl and we get Poveda potentially?

22 minutes ago, Teddy Nickelarse said:

As Reesh said, his contract is up in the summer.

Interestingly, if I heard correctly, Rhöl said in his post match RS interview that he has a special relationship/understanding with the player. Perhaps fairly confident that the player wants to play for him. Keep Rhöl and we get Poveda potentially?

I think, as Hoyland says, we stay up we keep him and Rőhl.

Ugbo seems to be flourishing under Danny too.

Still a task to stay up but if we do I'm confident that the summer rebuild and next season will be good.

16 minutes ago, Reesh said:

I think, as Hoyland says, we stay up we keep him and Rőhl.

Ugbo seems to be flourishing under Danny too.

Still a task to stay up but if we do I'm confident that the summer rebuild and next season will be good.

Agreed.

As an aside, I'm one of those that thinks things are on the up at this club.  Our style is more pleasing on the eye and we have something to play for right to the end. Rest of the season certainly wont be boring

• Like 1

We’ve not had a player like Poveda since Carbone. He comes to life 30 yards out. Doesn’t contribute much further back and likes to play wide to middle.

He’s not like Forestieri, and Lee was more effective coming from deep. Poveda is a proper 10, Forestieri was at his best as the left of a three or up top with a proper striker. Lee, was probably a four in old money.

We are developing a new axis of evil with Palmer, Pol and Poveda. The highlight of that Wednesday team under Gray was Palmer, Lee and Maguire. When they were at it, they were brilliant.

• Like 2