Danny Röhl appreciation thread

Come on Danny. Earn your stripes today mate.
I do fancy us today whether that’s my heart ruling my head I don’t know but Danny and his staff will have us pumped for this I’m sure. 
A big chance for him, his staff and the team to show the fans they’re well up for it and intent on staying up.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Laceups said:

Come on Danny. Earn your stripes today mate.
I do fancy us today whether that’s my heart ruling my head I don’t know but Danny and his staff will have us pumped for this I’m sure. 
A big chance for him, his staff and the team to show the fans they’re well up for it and intent on staying up.

It's pretty much must win now. I'm not sure we'd have the fight to claw back 8 points and the feeling of desperation would be huge. I trust us to show up today which is Down to DR. Come on lads!!!!

41 minutes ago, Skamp said:

I'll just throw this out there.

Is this our new Carlos?  Full of charm, says the right things and then  ..

When he starts waving £20 notes around on the press conference then we will worry

He is a young coach so he will make errors along the way. I think he would prefer not to have been involved in the recruitment side, well you probably want the input not just the shit and disappointment of closing out deals or not as the case was.

I can imagine Chansiri being your boss is not fun. 

26 minutes ago, mkowl said:

When he starts waving £20 notes around on the press conference then we will worry

He is a young coach so he will make errors along the way. I think he would prefer not to have been involved in the recruitment side, well you probably want the input not just the shit and disappointment of closing out deals or not as the case was.

I can imagine Chansiri being your boss is not fun. 

I think results like today will help make him a top coach, maybe not with us but it will

It's the first test of his Wednesday career really. Post Munez then it was a free hit, he had to get us organised, get the players and the fans as well to believe, pick up points and narrow the gap.

Tick job done 

However he is still working with a poor squad of players. Then the transfer window comes, represents both an opportunity and a threat.

The threat is players seek to leave or are told could leave.

The fans expectations increase

The players you know should make a difference don't cross the line to sign

This is not in anyway a suggestion he isn't good enough. But it's a big moment for him. There was the picture of him looking forlorn at the end. You can interpret that to suit your agenda, but for me it was a bit of self critical reflection. 

There is zero certainty in football and there are many valid arguments against my next point. But if there was a guarantee Rohl stays, if there was a guarantee that Chansiri would stick with him and funding then I would take a drop to League 1 and start the planning process now.

I think we would return a whole lot stronger and better prepared for the Championship if we did

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, mkowl said:

It's the first test of his Wednesday career really. Post Munez then it was a free hit, he had to get us organised, get the players and the fans as well to believe, pick up points and narrow the gap.

Tick job done 

However he is still working with a poor squad of players. Then the transfer window comes, represents both an opportunity and a threat.

This is not in anyway a suggestion he isn't good enough. But it's a big moment for him. There was the picture of him looking forlorn at the end. You can interpret that to suit your agenda, but for me it was a bit of self critical reflection. 

There is zero certainty in football and there are many valid arguments against my next point. But if there was a guarantee Rohl stays, if there was a guarantee that Chansiri would stick with him and funding then I would take a drop to League 1 and start the planning process now.

I think we would return a whole lot stronger and better prepared for the Championship if we did

Wouldn't be surprised if that's actually the deal he's on.

Free hit all season, instill a system with the Munoz younger players, then full rebuild in the off-season, regardless of league.

Or a succession plan to hand over to Powell or Pederson if he goes to carry it on.

Chansiri has publicly said he'll stay even if we're relegated, so he already sees it as likely .

The problem is the protesters are throwing a spanner in the works, making every result matter  and adding massive pressure where maybe there shouldn't be.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mkowl said:

Tick job done 

I agree with your sentiments MK. My concern is that as we all know and I’m sure Pompey, Ipswich etc fans will also confess, there are no guarantees of a quick return from L1, which I know you were saying. Its a league we’ve spent far too many seasons in during my time watching Wednesday, so I’m always concerned at thinking we should ever be /go there.

2 hours ago, EastCraigsOwl said:

There's no such thing as pressure. It's all in the head.

Men or mice?

Seeing as they've bottled almost every major game for the last few years.

This side are great when the pressure is off, the cup games last year for example as well as the second semi, which I would have banked on them to lose if the score had been any lower than 4-0 from the first leg. As it was they went in with no expectations and smashed it.

So, mice.

On 04/02/2024 at 09:04, mkowl said:

Tick job done 

It’ll be interesting to see how he handles the Birmingham game, ie does he change much in how he approaches it because as you say it’s a big knock to the expectations that we were closing in on a place above the relegation zone. In other words will he keep the Bannan / Palmer midfield duo and the young lads either side.

If Birmingham score first it’s possible the fans in the stadium could start to turn, knowing what a class act we have in some areas.

https://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-wednesday/sheffield-wednesday-january-transfer-review-4504740

Makes sense and also suggests that DR is looking towards the future not looking for a bail out as some stirrers are spouting.

He's smart and will learn from his mistakes.

Apologies if this link has been shared elsewhere on here.

Edited by Teddy Nickelarse

1 hour ago, Tank_Owl2,0 said:

It’ll be interesting to see how he handles the Birmingham game, ie does he change much in how he approaches it because as you say it’s a big knock to the expectations that we were closing in on a place above the relegation zone. In other words will he keep the Bannan / Palmer midfield duo and the young lads either side.

If Birmingham score first it’s possible the fans in the stadium could start to turn, knowing what a class act we have in some areas.

👍

If you're the same Tewkesbury grinding down the self appointed virtuous one then I doff my cap to you. You've  greater stamina and a stronger stomach than I.

Edited by Teddy Nickelarse

I’ll make a bold prediction.

Five of the next six are against teams around us.

If we pick up less than 6 points in those games. Chansiri will fire Röhl.

Chansiri has not planned for league one football next year.

Now to flip that, Rohl gets a free hit this season. Aside from the four signings in Jan, this is not his team, he didn’t have a say on who stayed and went in the summer, played no role in pre-season and hasn’t defined what a long term strategy is. And I’d like to see that.

I said when we appointed him that whilst we want to stop up, it was unlikely due to the fitness and quality of the squad, but what I wanted to see was a plan of how we will play. We’ve got that, and at times we have looked a good side. So, he’s earned a full pre-season and a go next year regardless of what division we end up in.

But… I am not convinced he will get that chance.

• Like 2

To me, Röhl's results can be (really) simplified into three periods so far:

1. Working on the squad, much needing doing, too soon to be achieving results except against a Rotherham side who were unbelievably bad on the day.

2. Approximately December: plenty of fine results against some of the other lowly teams. His investment in time now showing.

3. Approx. January: generally bad results against much better sides, particularly Southampton & Themyetagain.  And sneaked in self-destriction at Hudds whilst we were at it.

See, it's quite simple this football.

Edited by Owling_Wolf

6 hours ago, KrolMong said:

Now to flip that, Rohl gets a free hit this season. Aside from the four signings in Jan, this is not his team, he didn’t have a say on who stayed and went in the summer, played no role in pre-season and hasn’t defined what a long term strategy is. And I’d like to see that.

I said when we appointed him that whilst we want to stop up, it was unlikely due to the fitness and quality of the squad, but what I wanted to see was a plan of how we will play. We’ve got that, and at times we have looked a good side. So, he’s earned a full pre-season and a go next year regardless of what division we end up in.

KM, do you think he has any sort of plan? Honest question

6 hours ago, KrolMong said:

That 3rd paragraph is a very depressing prospect should it materialise.

Like you I questioned whether the lack of quality would be a determining factor. A coach can only take poor players so far. We know far too many of the League 1 squad are mentally weak on top of this.

The fact Chansiri has never planned for a League 1 return is depressing in its own right

Chansiri had a plan when he arrived. Premier League by our 150th anniversary. He told everyone about it threw a shed load of money at it and everyone jumped on board and enjoyed the ride. Wasn't his fault, in any way, that we didn't get there. He backed his manager, as he has every other manager, and Carlos bottled both big occasions. 

In trying to achieve what everyone wanted FFP sailed into view and he tried to negate that as best he could. Took advice on the ground sale (he didn't make that decision on his own) Took advice on which accounting year to put the sale (although that advice was incorrect)

And since then he's become public enemy number one for a section of the fanbase. The points deduction all his fault? yet every single Nev didn't complain about the road to Wembley or the following season.

With the mood turning since the Jos era and especially through Monk and COVID the tide was always turning against him. With that and the financial restraints, both imposed and possibly personal, he was never going to publicly announce a new set of plans or ideas. 

I think, and this has been backed up by fellow posters and outside info, that he's had the club quietly on the market since that forum meeting when he shouted at a fan something like 'if you want me to sell then I'll sell when the right buyer comes along.' You might call him stubborn but he's certainly not stupid. He'll be totally aware of supporter feelings without the need for social media attacks on his family or 15,000 flyers. 

I don't believe there's long term planning, as such, because the club is up for sale but he continues to support his managers, to a point, and keeps paying the bills from his own pocket. He'll be off as soon as someone shows sufficient proof of funds and satisfies the EFL owners test. 

• Like 4

I've a feeling that if no January window existed we'd be better off. It was expected he bring players in and he wanted to obviously and in some respects but has the squad been strengthened? this has unsettled things somewhat. I know injuries happen but he has U23 players training with the first team.

For me all the good work of Nov and Dec and the team togetherness has diminished.

Better to have seen the season out blooding younger players than bringing in loans.

I hope I need to eat my words, but doubt it!

UTO

15 minutes ago, Tylluan said:

Chansiri had a plan when he arrived. Premier League by our 150th anniversary. He told everyone about it threw a shed load of money at it and everyone jumped on board and enjoyed the ride. Wasn't his fault, in any way, that we didn't get there. He backed his manager, as he has every other manager, and Carlos bottled both big occasions. 

In trying to achieve what everyone wanted FFP sailed into view and he tried to negate that as best he could. Took advice on the ground sale (he didn't make that decision on his own) Took advice on which accounting year to put the sale (although that advice was incorrect)

And since then he's become public enemy number one for a section of the fanbase. The points deduction all his fault? yet every single Nev didn't complain about the road to Wembley or the following season.

With the mood turning since the Jos era and especially through Monk and COVID the tide was always turning against him. With that and the financial restraints, both imposed and possibly personal, he was never going to publicly announce a new set of plans or ideas. 

I think, and this has been backed up by fellow posters and outside info, that he's had the club quietly on the market since that forum meeting when he shouted at a fan something like 'if you want me to sell then I'll sell when the right buyer comes along.' You might call him stubborn but he's certainly not stupid. He'll be totally aware of supporter feelings without the need for social media attacks on his family or 15,000 flyers. 

I don't believe there's long term planning, as such, because the club is up for sale but he continues to support his managers, to a point, and keeps paying the bills from his own pocket. He'll be off as soon as someone shows sufficient proof of funds and satisfies the EFL owners test. 

This was supposed to be the season for long term planning. 

Every season before this was still a firefighting season due to the fallout of spendageddon. FFP, getting the contracts off the books, points deductions, relegation, League 1.

There has been an attempt to change the style, but didn't work.

Darren Moore came to as an attacking, 433, youth focused manager. We recruited to fit that, loads of pacyish wingers who fit that type of play. DM tried it, couldn't get it to work with Gregory alone in the middle, went 2 up, had to fit Bannan in a 3,  thus the 352 was born as it was the only formation that fitted.

The second season, recruitment still followed the same pattern, wingers, pace, Smith to go in the middle. DM tried again, but went back when it didn't work again.

We gave up the rebuild of the playstyle for instant results.

So then this season would have been the one. But then the shitshow happened.

DC still got Xisco and Rohl, who both are young and very focused on changing the style of play to the more direct, high tempo style that we're starting to see glimpses of. He could have gone for a Warnock and carried on the same. Or kept DM, but he went for the longer term option.

This is why I still think that Rohl is on the same type of deal Moore was on. Safety if possible, but still in charge and the chance at a rebuild if we do go down. 

13 minutes ago, Tewksbury said:

This was supposed to be the season for long term planning. 

Every season before this was still a firefighting season due to the fallout of spendageddon. FFP, getting the contracts off the books, points deductions, relegation, League 1.

There has been an attempt to change the style, but didn't work.

Darren Moore came to as an attacking, 433, youth focused manager. We recruited to fit that, loads of pacyish wingers who fit that type of play. DM tried it, couldn't get it to work with Gregory alone in the middle, went 2 up, had to fit Bannan in a 3,  thus the 352 was born as it was the only formation that fitted.

The second season, recruitment still followed the same pattern, wingers, pace, Smith to go in the middle. DM tried again, but went back when it didn't work again.

We gave up the rebuild of the playstyle for instant results.

So then this season would have been the one. But then the shitshow happened.

DC still got Xisco and Rohl, who both are young and very focused on changing the style of play to the more direct, high tempo style that we're starting to see glimpses of. He could have gone for a Warnock and carried on the same. Or kept DM, but he went for the longer term option.

This is why I still think that Rohl is on the same type of deal Moore was on. Safety if possible, but still in charge and the chance at a rebuild if we do go down. 

Where does Mallik Wilks fit in that plan? One of, if not the worst signings we’ve made in a LONG time. Waste of a shirt. Waste of a squad place. Waste of transfer funds. 

26 minutes ago, HoylandOwl said:

Where does Mallik Wilks fit in that plan? One of, if not the worst signings we’ve made in a LONG time. Waste of a shirt. Waste of a squad place. Waste of transfer funds. 

He was supposed to be a fast wide forward, fitted the bill perfectly.

Moore and Windass were all over that. Another Berahino, NML, DM rehab type.

Would have had huge upsides if he'd gone back to anywhere near his form in L1 before.

Unfortunately it didn't work out.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Reesh said:

Its actually a shit article.

Trying to force similarities between his home town and Sheffield which are as subtle as a 6th former trying it on with your 14 year old daughter.

Then a massive jump to red bull that bears  no relation to Röhl and his development (and also flies in the face of what other posters on here have said about RB only being interested in PL teams...)

4/10 Toadie. Fulls a few inches, witl gain a few comments and RTs but ultimately shit.

3 hours ago, Andyben said:

Its actually a shit article.

Trying to force similarities between his home town and Sheffield which are as subtle as a 6th former trying it on with your 14 year old daughter.

Then a massive jump to red bull that bears  no relation to Röhl and his development (and also flies in the face of what other posters on here have said about RB only being interested in PL teams...)

4/10 Toadie. Fulls a few inches, witl gain a few comments and RTs but ultimately shit.

Grumpy git!   

• 1 month later...

Bump.

Thank you Danny for rescuing a club that looked sunk in October, your belief in your methods and instilling that into a squad bereft of fitness, confidence and ideas has seen a remarkable turnaround on and off the pitch.

Should we rubber stamp safety next week then you have some difficult decisions ahead of you regarding the squad but I'm excited to see what can be achieved in the summer transfer window and a pre season behind you.

Was great seeing your family walk around the pitch with you as you were being given the deserved acclaim from the fans.

Edited by Reesh
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Reesh said:

Bump.

Thank you Danny for rescuing a club that looked in October, your belief in your methods and instilling that into a squad bereft of fitness, confidence and ideas has seen a remarkable turnaround on and off the pitch.

Should we rubber stamp safety next week then you have some difficult decisions ahead of you regarding the squad but I'm excited to see what can be achieved in the summer transfer window and a pre season behind you.

Was great seeing your family walk around the pitch with you as you were being given the deserved acclaim from the fans.

Oooh get out of his arse! 

11 minutes ago, Reesh said:

Bump.

Thank you Danny for rescuing a club that looked in October, your belief in your methods and instilling that into a squad bereft of fitness, confidence and ideas has seen a remarkable turnaround on and off the pitch.

Absolutely spot on

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Reesh said:

And into your lasses?

Your have better luck than me pal like winning crypton factor getting owt out of ah lass.

only just dropped it in about Sunderland next week. I must admit I’ve had to beg it a bit.

what’s happened to me!

1 hour ago, Reesh said:

Since December 1st

Played 27 W13 D4 L10 F33 A38 Pts 43 GD-5

Extrapolate that PPG over the season you'd be on 76pts which is a play off spot

Such an incredible job he’s done. Especially considering that he inherited that team unfit with zero confidence. 

I know we’re not over the line yet but if we get there - and there’s no summer bullshit - and we get a Danny Rohl and co full pre-season, with his signings. 

Every reason to be excited about next season. 

• Like 5

On 29/04/2024 at 11:30, Reesh said:

Since December 1st

Played 27 W13 D4 L10 F33 A38 Pts 43 GD-5

Extrapolate that PPG over the season you'd be on 76pts which is a play off spot

After, admittedly a quick look at table after game before 1st Dec and now I think we are 6th since 1 Dec.

Current top 4 then Norwich above us.

Like I say I think.

picked up 3 more points than West Brom since then!

Some turnaround.

UTO