Danny Röhl appreciation thread

25 minutes ago, holmesfield_owl said:

More and more gobsmacked by what an absolute gem of a manager we have as every week passes. This lad will become a legend if we keep hold of him.

For those that give DC stick, he's spot on this time.

Keep going DR, breath of fresh air

Just a tiny criticism, DC appointed Xisco in front of Rohl in the Summer (if reports are true)

But to be fair to DC, he acted & got the guy in & has thrown some serious money at that coaching staff.

6 minutes ago, owl4ever1867 said:

Just a tiny criticism, DC appointed Xisco in front of Rohl in the Summer (if reports are true)

But to be fair to DC, he acted & got the guy in & has thrown some serious money at that coaching staff.

See in a parallel universe we would have kept Moore for the start of this season, gained a few more points due to our friend momentum, then sacked Moore and brought in Rohl 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mkowl said:

See in a parallel universe we would have kept Moore for the start of this season, gained a few more points due to our friend momentum, then sacked Moore and brought in Rohl 

Yeah, but in that parallel universe Moore had to not be a greedy cant.

Most inspiring and promising manager in my lifetime I think. I genuinely think if, and I think it will be a big if, we keep him for the next 3-5 years he will be one of the best things thats ever happened to Wednesday. He is a proper gaffer with a proper team behind him. He oozes class and thats reflected on the names he has attracted to the club, Lense and Powell etc. Cannot wait to see a load of young German future Klinsmanns, Brehmes, and Matthaus's storming us up to the playoffs come end of Jan!

• Like 1

Absolutely love what he’s doing. We’re very much still a work in progress but progress it is and long may it continue. Hope to God he’s taken to us as much as we’ve taken to him. Great management team in place now and it’s reflecting on the pitch with the spirit being shown. Some key additions in Jan and we can avoid the drop and really kick on hopefully.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, mkowl said:

I hear you got banned from the Smiths forum for being too gloomy and negative 

It's early days but the energy around the club is superb at the minute, we are showing effort in the press and the football isn't as agricultural as you'd perhaps expect of a team scrapping for their lives.

There is the exciting vibrance of youth in the likes of Musaba, Gassama, Bernard and Cadamateri.

The manager is getting a lot of plaudits from the squad regards to his philosophies and attention to detail in trying to improve players and he's formed a connection with the fans not seen for a long time, perhaps since Sturrock

• Like 5

3 hours ago, HoylandOwl said:

All the talk about oh we should have got DR before Xisco. As already mentioned we don’t know for sure if we could have. Also….

We can’t change it! It happened that way. Just enjoy it while it’s happening!

Yes and all the abuse he took from some quarters for letting Moore go in the summer. Who'd support a Moore/Röhl swap now.... apart from Huddersfield  fans maybe? Not a criticism of Darren BTW just that Danny is shaping up to be an absolute gem.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Snap said:

Now that is a great touchline pic. The pic of Musaba peeling away after scoring yesterday was pretty iconic as well, credit to the photographer who is obviously a grunter.😂 Surely no Wednesdayite could have maintained their composure after that winner.

Very good point and very well made, I hadn’t thought of that 🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 2

He’s doing an amazing job and I still can’t believe he’s just 34 years old, as he has a calmness, philosophy, professionalism and maturity that belies his young age.

For me I think I’ve already seen enough to say he’s the best managerial appointment we’ve made since Big Ron. If DC backs him and DR is content to stay at SWFC, we will go places under this fella. Just listen to what the players say and think of him.

He’s the managerial equivalent of Roland Nilsson for me, as there’s just something about him that makes him special and places him above the norm. An absolute class act.

• Like 6

Rohl is the 'captain' of a very good back room team. We sing Danny's name but they're all playing a part in this and one I'd like to praise is Sascha Lense. 

We can all see the team now has 'the legs' to run for 90+ mins but you've still got to want to run, especially after going behind, and I believe Lense has worked wonders on the psychological side to match the mental capacity to the physical. Even more so when you think that physical training can be a group activity but everyone's mental space is individual. 

• Like 4

Thinking about the psychology, the fact that we’ve never heard DR moan about injuries, the ref, the pitch or generally appear hard done to, must have a big effect on the mindset of the players. 
Win, lose or draw, DR’s spoken about the progress and the process, and always appears to be looking forward rather than feeling sorry for himself. 
The positivity of a first time manager versus the journeyman. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Otto_Man said:

Sat at the traffic lights on Penistone Road and a car pulls up, bloke on his own with Daddy Cool blasting out.

Not sure Boney M were ever this popular in Sheffield in the '70's

I had Daddy Cool blasting out in traffic while next to the Leppings Lane Tram Stop which seemed to go down well.

Half Pint loved it - my Daughter was cringing in the back seat, although that evening heard her playing it in her bedroom !!!

Ma Baker is the better Boney M song though.  Is there a Mo Baker we can sign, and a Rasputin while we are at it ?

41 minutes ago, Hirstys 12th Pint said:

I had Daddy Cool blasting out in traffic while next to the Leppings Lane Tram Stop which seemed to go down well.

Half Pint loved it - my Daughter was cringing in the back seat, although that evening heard her playing it in her bedroom !!!

Ma Baker is the better Boney M song though.  Is there a Mo Baker we can sign, and a Rasputin while we are at it ?

We had Lewis Baker, after that I don't want a Butcher, a Baker or a Cook!!

In all seriousness I hope the club are doing what they can to get Danny's family sorted over here living wise.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Hirstys 12th Pint said:

Maybe we could sign someone from Belfast?

I must admit , I had my doubts after reading that Flick´s assistant would become wednesday´s manager. Our national team was  and is horribly playing these last years and I couldn´t imagine Röhl being a wise decision . I can´t comment about the owls´playing as I can only watch the snippets shown here on the forum (so, thanks for those) . So, my understanding is, that there is a progress in fitness and tactics and well, the psychology ( although it is a common fact, that new people around mostly boost the spirit ). All in all Röhl might have been a good decision after all. Good for him. And the owls. And seeing some sort of success after stepping out of being number two and stepping into the spotlight of being number one , is awesome. I sincerely hope, we can stay in the championship , let´s keep our fingers crossed. 

Oh.....just a small remark on Röhl´s accent though. Even as a German myself, it´s quite unfriendly to my ears hearing him in interviews .....haha. but this is just a side note. 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, atroi said:

Oh.....just a small remark on Röhl´s accent though. Even as a German myself, it´s quite unfriendly to my ears hearing him in interviews .....haha. but this is just a side note. 😉

Because he's an Össi?

Edited by Andyben

11 minutes ago, Andyben said:

Because he's an Össi?

Hmmm....if he had been born in the sixties or seventies , yes, maybe...maybe then his Russian might be better than his English. But he was born in the year the Berlin wall came down. So, no, that´s not an excuse... 😉

• Haha 2

If you saw how we played the start of the season, how unfit the players were, physically and mentally then Rohl was always going to improve that. But he seems to have instilled more

He has built an immediate connection with the fans which helps. It could go wrong, of course, but the feel good vibe is here for now and after a troublesome period that was part 1 

The fact he was in nappies post Berlin Wall coming down now makes me feel flipping old though 

Edited by mkowl
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

So 20 league games in. 7 wins, 3 draws, 10 losses.

We look almost a credible entity at this level and that's down to him and the players working their bollocks off for him.

Pro rata on remaining games has us on around 43 points, could easily do better with our improvement and get 49-50, it's not over yet.

Even if QPR won at Blackburn, the table would look so much more favourable with us two points behind both if we win at Huddersfield.

Keep going Danny, I still believe and I think the players do too.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, holmesfield_owl said:

We look almost a credible entity at this level and that's down to him and the players working their bollocks off for him.

Pro rata on remaining games has us on around 43 points, could easily do better with our improvement and get 49-50, it's not over yet.

Even if QPR won at Blackburn, the table would look so much more favourable with us two points behind both if we win at Huddersfield.

It would!   🦉

1 hour ago, holmesfield_owl said:

Here's the bottom 7 for the second half of the season.

We are the only team taking points from outside the bottom, almost all points taken for the other teams have been against each other.

Bar the Southampton game, we have competed every time and still have all the weaker teams, the bottom 10 still to play, whereas the others have played 2-3 games in that group, which is their primary source of points.

We'll be fine.

Screenshot_20240201_174418_Sheets.jpg

13 minutes ago, Owling_Wolf said:

I hope so, Tewksbury. The only worrying thing is how many of the lower end teams have changed manager since our first game with them. 

Don't think it matters.

We have enough to make Watford's keeper their MoM, should have had better v Coventry and Cardiff for our play.

Even without anyone else, the front 3 of Ugbo, Gassama and Musaba should rip most teams apart, especially near the bottom, just need a bit more confidence. Rohl looks to have taken all the issues from the Cov game and rectified them. More play down both sides, moving it forward quicker.

Every game they play together they get better, get the win against Huddersfield or even a draw and we should stay up easily.

The analysis heartening but the unknown is who Huddersfield appoint.
Maybe so re getting better and addressing the shortfalls but we also just seemed to lose energy/ urgency in the 2nd half. Although that’s maybe down to Watford closing doors, but others will have taken note. We should also not lose sight that Watford are on their own decent-ish run. So, It was interesting to see how they seemed to want to shut up shop in the last 15mins.

Gassama is going to be important to us in the remaining games if he keeps improving like he is. To me he has overtaken BTC and Mussaba as the first name on the team sheet from an attacking perspective. I’m sure we’d all be happier if we had someone that was regularly scoring but Ugbonhas started to show promise.

Edited by Tank_Owl2,0

We're far more organised, and I absolutely love it when we pin the opposition in their own half when THEY have the ball. It doesn't happen all the time but it did on Tuesday night, there's no easy throw ins in their own half, we press so much higher. That urgency helps with the crowd too IIRC, as we've all said the pre-requisite for any player is giving everything and our style now forces players to do that more than ever. 

• Like 2

I’d love Rohl to get properly backed when we get ourselves on a more even keel financially. He’s getting a tune from a lot of average players, be good to see what he can do with a better calibre.

If we stay up, he stays, and we have a bit more of a budget and a full pre-season. We could really shock some teams.

• Like 4