Miwarlll cockenee match thread

HappyOwl

25 minutes ago, Wor-Jackie said:

Not that it makes a massive difference now however, my first impressions for the first goal was that Iorfa was pinned down by one of their players hence why they had a free header.

I don’t know about pinned but there was definitely some blocking of runs so that their runners could get the headers in, which will come from practicing good set pieces. Something I’m expecting DR will want from us.

I agree with Hoyland as well, booing your own keeper during a game isn’t the brightest thing to do, even if he has been at fault.

Btw, the ref was absolutely rank today. It would be wrong to say we lost because of him but my god he was incredibly inconsistent and totally clueless with some of the decisions. It’s just galling on the back of some recent poor officials, eg at Bristol.

1 hour ago, Wor-Jackie said:

Not that it makes a massive difference now however, my first impressions for the first goal was that Iorfa was pinned down by one of their players hence why they had a free header.

They had us 4 on 3 in a little group for the corner. Their 3 occupied our three whilst the other guy attacked the ball and had a free header at goal.  

3 hours ago, Snap said:

Did anyone notice the song being played in the stadium at the end of the game? Quite apt really.

Probably very few heard it.

I feel a bit shellshocked after todays game, I thought the obvious improvements under Rohl would come to fruition and we'd beat a bang average Millwall side, the first 20mins bore this out as our passing and movement was a joy to watch, the miss by Musaba was a turning point when Millwall went straight up the other end, won a corner and scored the easiest header you'll ever see, then the floodgates opened.

I'm not sure now if Rohls the messiah or a very naughty boy but I do know that horrible recruitment in the summer (by who knows who) has killed us.

L1 football next season I'm afraid.

To add we have only won 17 drawn 19 so lost 49 

A win percentage of 20%

So good news Rohl is at least hitting that target.

But we basically lose 3 games in each 5 we play which suggests we have been below Championship standard for a long time. 

So we can dispel the myth that the squad last year was that level. Equally if that squad was now in League 1, I have seen it suggested it would be bottom. My view, we would be top 4 still.

Football is about margins, at present we are 10% say below the required standard. In League we would still be 10% above. 

I think we need to use L1 as an opportunity to build if we cannot simply do a short term escape and then react in the Championship which is what we have done and seemingly failed. Albeit I think much of it was poor decision making. 

Ipswich and Sunderland didn’t escape L1 quickly but as a result and especially the latter, they built a side on a reasonable budget in the grand scheme of things that then took them two steps forward. Same with Plymouth. I’d be keeping players like Ihiekwe Vaulks and Smith at that level as you need that physicality and they are good characters but could L1 be a good place for the likes of cadermarteri, Phuti, Shipston et al to make a genuine breakthrough. 

2 hours ago, holmesfield_owl said:

Shipston seems to have gone backwards, only on bench last I looked

Only just turned 19 (5 days ago) and we're saying he's gone backwards. 

He took a knock at the end of pre season and has had niggles ever since. He's also found himself behind first teamers, like Bakinson, Johnson, Wills, getting game time in the 21s. 

He didn't look out of place when Moore gave him minutes in league 1 and if he's fit in January then I'd send him out on loan. 

But he's not going backwards 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1