Miwarlll cockenee match thread

HappyOwl

It’s just a dreadful lack of quality. Awful defending for the first three goals. Two misses that I’d expect everyone who posts on here to at least hit the target. And then that age old issue of the legs going (although might be more result based than fitness based). We’ve also seen some poor set pieces and some very below par individual displays from Johnson, Paterson and Musaba. Fletcher and Gassama were anonymous first half.

You can see what Röhl is trying, and it’s the right way to approach it. But we are desperately short of even mid table league one quality.

One positive has been Bailey Cadamarteri who will a very alive in a penalty box, looks like he could be a goal threat.

Cadamarteri was the 1 shining light today, start him in the next game alongside Smith.

That Diaby is a fucking liability, everytime he's on the ball he makes me panic, how he's a footballer I don't know, Dawson should never be anywhere near the first team ever again, get Vazquez between the sticks with young Charles as his back up.

Xisco & Co have bought in some utter garbage, Pep could've been bought in & he couldn't work with the shower of shit we've got.

The fitness of these players is laughable, we're blowing after 70 minutes - even if Rohl has come in & improved them.

Forget staying up, I think our main aim is to let Rohl & his coaching staff build for the future, we're fucked at the moment.

• Like 1

So where we do go from here. A game we thought based on recent improved performances we needed to win, we have comprehensively been taken apart by a mid ranked Championship side on our own patch. 

I mean we weren't unlucky, there was no bad reffing decisions (shout for handball but hardly pivotal), you can't really fault the effort levels.

As KM says its just a lack of quality. I probably disagree that we would do poorly in League 1 - I simply think it's a huge step up in quality and there is a very limited scope to sort this out.

Change Dawson, I have no confidence Vasquez would be better. Palmer at RWB, Valentin. I mean any side that starts Patterson is going to struggle.

Let's be honest Johnson's status improved while he didn't play but reality hits when he does. 

Midfield actually needs 3 in there to stop getting swamped at times.

Up front give me strength. Seriously Cadamateri has given more threat in 45 minutes than any of the rest. Can't put it on him to sort this 

The question for me is I simply would not waste money in January. We are so far off it and so short of quality everywhere I would conserve the funds. I would be letting a few go eg Fletcher and let's blood the U21s 

Lets accept Bannans time is up so we don't build the future around him. It's not about giving up just start planning now for League 1

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, owl4ever1867 said:

Forget staying up, I think our main aim is to let Rohl & his coaching staff build for the future, we're fucked at the moment.

I mean many will say never give up, some will be advocating Chansiri funds a splurge in January. But what if we did by miracles stay up, where do we go.

Football is short termist, fans demand results today and that must have been awful to see in person today and it's easy for me from my armchair to say suck up more bad results now for better times hopefully tomorrow 

But it's also we need Chansiri to accept he is not the owner Wednesday need to lead this way forward. 

11 minutes ago, mkowl said:

I mean many will say never give up, some will be advocating Chansiri funds a splurge in January. But what if we did by miracles stay up, where do we go.

Football is short termist, fans demand results today and that must have been awful to see in person today and it's easy for me from my armchair to say suck up more bad results now for better times hopefully tomorrow 

But it's also we need Chansiri to accept he is not the owner Wednesday need to lead this way forward. 

We aren't good enough, just in the 2 years away, the gulf in class is huge, those players at S6 simply aren't good enough, age has caught up with some but most of them simply are not Championship quality.

Dawson

Diaby

Fletcher

Those are 3 that should never be  anywhere near the first team squad.

We need to see where we are placed in mid Jan.

if we are 12 points away from safety, then the kind of building we need to do is for the future. I would have no issue if we recruit with that in mind in Jan, and at the same rate time, make a decision on the current squad and bomb anyone that is not going to be here next season.

What I do hope is that Chansiri doesn’t look at Rohl and blame him. He can’t be blamed for the quality of the squad, and he can’t be blamed for the lack of fitness or the state Xisco left us in.

At the minute, the results are important because we need points. But there is a line in the sand where we will need to accept that we are down and then performance becomes important as you want to see shoots for the future.

Just a general comment, there appears to be what might be a mini league at the bottom with us, Rotherham, QPR, Huddersfield and Coventry - and potentially, Birmingham.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, owl4ever1867 said:

Wow, Musaba has just missed from a yard. 😂

Was it actually a miss?  Not seen it on telly but from the West end of the North Stand it looked like a clearance off the line…at the wrong end…would have gone in if he’d done nothing.

13 minutes ago, KrolMong said:

We need to see where we are placed in mid Jan.

if we are 12 points away from safety, then the kind of building we need to do is for the future. I would have no issue if we recruit with that in mind in Jan, and at the same rate time, make a decision on the current squad and bomb anyone that is not going to be here next season.

What I do hope is that Chansiri doesn’t look at Rohl and blame him. He can’t be blamed for the quality of the squad, and he can’t be blamed for the lack of fitness or the state Xisco left us in.

At the minute, the results are important because we need points. But there is a line in the sand where we will need to accept that we are down and then performance becomes important as you want to see shoots for the future.

Just a general comment, there appears to be what might be a mini league at the bottom with us, Rotherham, QPR, Huddersfield and Coventry - and potentially, Birmingham.

I think DC realises he has left Röhl with a hell of a job to do. We were taken apart today through a variety of reasons and we have to take it on the chin.

• Like 3

That front three today, bloody hell.  Bursts of pace and a few tricks, but absolutely nothing else.  Not clinical in front of goal.  Wank decision making.  Total inability to hold the ball up, no determination whatsoever, basically soft as shit.  Fucking lazy out of possession as well.

To think some of our fans used to slate Nuhiu.  Fucking imbeciles.  He’d be the first name on the team sheet in this fucking dogshit squad.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, owl71 said:

That front three today, bloody hell.  Bursts of pace and a few tricks, but absolutely nothing else.  Not clinical in front of goal.  Wank decision making.  Total inability to hold the ball up, no determination whatsoever, basically soft as shit.  Fucking lazy out of possession as well.

To think some of our fans used to slate Nuhiu.  Fucking imbeciles.  He’d be the first name on the team sheet in this fucking dogshit squad.

I'm not sure that would be a good thing either.

9 minutes ago, owl71 said:

Was it actually a miss?  Not seen it on telly but from the West end of the North Stand it looked like a clearance off the line…at the wrong end…would have gone in if he’d done nothing.

Nah mate, he missed it, was on his own & he somehow flicked it up & over the bar when it was easier to score - that moment summed our season up 

• Like 1

Massive wake up call to the Division we are in.  Millwall were stronger, fitter, more dogged and clinical all over the pitch and as people have said Millwall are mid table side.

My problem with the side today was how open we were in the middle.  We cannot play a two in there when one of them is Bannan who is all over the pitch leaving Byers alone. 

What has Ihiekwe done wrong.  For me a back 4 of Iorfa, Ihiekwe, Bernard and James would have been the preferred option allowing an additional midfielder, especially if playing Musaba and Gassama.

Was very impressed with the Millwall right back who scored the 4th.

Edited by Hirstys 12th Pint

3 minutes ago, Hirstys 12th Pint said:

Massive wake up call to the Division we are in.  Millwall were stronger, fitter, more dogged and clinical all over the pitch and as people have said Millwall are mid table side.

My problem with the side today was how open we were in the middle.  We cannot play a two in there when one of them is Bannan who is all over the pitch leaving Byers alone. 

What has Ihiekwe done wrong.  For me a back 4 of Iorfa, Ihiekwe, Bernard and James would have been the preferred option allowing an additional midfielder, especially if playing Musaba and Gassama.

Was very impressed with the Millwall right back who scored the 4th.

Norton Cuffey? On loan from Arsenal I think, was at Lincoln and Rotherham previously I believe. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Snap said:

If I was DC I'd get DR in the office and tell him that this season is a write off, a free hit and to start planning for a post Barry Bannan era, he's coming up 34 soon and the team captaincy needs shifting away from him at the season end.

From what I've seen we have clearly got the right Manager for the job and he needs some time and resources.

Poor bloke has inherited a shit show but even so he's at least improved what he has at his disposal. We can't afford to lose him or turn him into a blubbering idiot by expecting too much.

Hope for the best, expect the worst. Fail to plan, plan to fail. If ever we needed a long term strategy it's now.

Hopefully all that has already taken place.

The Bannan era ended the second Windass scored at Wembley if everyone was being honest, good servant but thanks and bye Baz.

• Like 2

I think it was the manner in which we got taken apart by a fairly average Millwall team that was difficult to take. It's also hard to understand why players like Patterson and Dawson who weren't necessarily first choice in L1 now seem to be the first names on the team sheet.

Fletcher's a lazy fuck though and I thought Bannan neshed a couple today. Left after the 4th though so what do I know?!

• Like 1

The sole bright spot of the afternoon is giving Bailey Cadamarteri game time and him not looking like Hirst Jr did at the same stage in their career.

As I said when Röhl was appointed I'd take a hit this season if we saw signs of an underlying plan across the board and I'm still of that opinion. 

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, owl4ever1867 said:

Nah mate, he missed it, was on his own & he somehow flicked it up & over the bar when it was easier to score - that moment summed our season up 

Was offside and the lino did flag it apparently but even so.

What Millwall did was a very basic but effective 4 4 2 and I don't recall them fannying about at the back. Simple stuff, what we need to do.

2 minutes ago, Reesh said:

The sole bright spot of the afternoon is giving Bailey Cadamarteri game time and him not looking like Hirst Jr did at the same stage in their career.

As I said when Röhl was appointed I'd take a hit this season if we saw signs of an underlying plan across the board and I'm still of that opinion. 

The Geordies are playing a 17 year old. Why are we scared of playing him. It's not like any of the forward players deserve to start ahead of him.

What I saw today was the ball fall to him in the box, find space, get efforts in.

This is not pressurising him to be some miracle worker, and being in a losing team is a risk but why not. Its experience and why does that have to be out on loan

1 minute ago, mkowl said:

The Geordies are playing a 17 year old. Why are we scared of playing him. It's not like any of the forward players deserve to start ahead of him.

What I saw today was the ball fall to him in the box, find space, get efforts in.

This is not pressurising him to be some miracle worker, and being in a losing team is a risk but why not. Its experience and why does that have to be out on loan

Newcastle is through injuries and Ty will probably agree Bailey is still finding his way back from the injury last season.

It's a sign we are all getting old though, I remember his old fella scoring at the Lepp end against us when Paolo took piss in a 3-1 win back in 97.

Very disappointing today.

As soon as they came on the pitch I was concerned at the size of their team and knowing we had Johnson, BB, Musaba and Gassama that aren’t going to win many headers. Was it Fletcher that was supposed to be marking their 3 that scored their first, enough said if so. Fletcher is one of the worst loanees we’ve had, and we know we have had some shite.

DR has clearly made an impact but has also has to try and make a silk purse out of a sows ear.

Smith and Gregory aren’t going to score 20 in this league but having neither of them available today was going to be a problem. Smith gives you the hustle and bustle and can score a goal, Gregory has that experience. We looked utterly toothless. Danny did do well for his first proper 45mins but it was going to be tough against an experienced Championship team like Millwall.

Despite the disappointment I think the score flattered Millwall even if they did enough to win. Tbf to DR I feel he went for it 2nd half which was always a risk and unfortunately a 0-2 becomes a 0-4.

Im not for throwing the towel in yet, but only because 4th bottom might still be possible but we need to pick up points, ie if we can’t win, don’t lose. I’ve not seen QPR but Rotherham and Huddersfield look poor teams as well. If by some miracle we could get a tune out of Smith, Gregory and DC until Jan then who know, but I agree it looks very difficult.

I agree with others Diaby is poor, Icky might not be much better but I just feel he’s a better positional sense. Diaby is probably getting the nod because he’s thought to be better in the air, I’m  not so sure.

My worry is the manager goes at the end of the season, to me he looks like one of the few assets we have.

52 minutes ago, KrolMong said:

Just a general comment, there appears to be what might be a mini league at the bottom with us, Rotherham, QPR, Huddersfield and Coventry - and potentially, Birmingham

Totally agree with this. If we're still in contention for survival then we have to go for it but we'd need wiggle room within the squad to make it happen. 

I've already said that I've been told Rohl wants to send the loans back but I'd also fire sale some of the players with 6 months left, providing adequate replacements are coming in. There'll be teams in L1 looking for proven goalscorers so if Smith or Gregory can get an 18 month contract out of Bolton, Derby, or someone similar, then let them go. No dicking about asking for silly money. Similarly with Paterson and Bannan and anyone seemingly surplus like Palmer. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Tank_Owl2,0 said:

Very disappointing today.

As soon as they came on the pitch I was concerned at the size of their team and knowing we had Johnson, BB, Musaba and Gassama that aren’t going to win many headers. Was it Fletcher that was supposed to be marking their 3 that scored their first, enough said if so. Fletcher is one of the worst loanees we’ve had, and we know we have had some shite.

DR has clearly made an impact but has also has to try and make a silk purse out of a sows ear.

Smith and Gregory aren’t going to score 20 in this league but having neither of them available today was going to be a problem. Smith gives you the hustle and bustle and can score a goal, Gregory has that experience. We looked utterly toothless. Danny did do well for his first proper 45mins but it was going to be tough against an experienced Championship team like Millwall.

Despite the disappointment I think the score flattered Millwall even if they did enough to win. Tbf to DR I feel he went for it 2nd half which was always a risk and unfortunately a 0-2 becomes a 0-4.

Im not for throwing the towel in yet, but only because 4th bottom might still be possible but we need to pick up points, ie if we can’t win, don’t lose. I’ve not seen QPR but Rotherham and Huddersfield look poor teams as well. If by some miracle we could get a tune out of Smith, Gregory and DC until Jan then who know, but I agree it looks very difficult.

I agree with others Diaby is poor, Icky might not be much better but I just feel he’s a better positional sense. Diaby is probably getting the nod because he’s thought to be better in the air, I’m  not so sure.

My worry is the manager goes at the end of the season, to me he looks like one of the few assets we have.

It’s Bailey, not Danny - of course!

20 minutes ago, Tank_Owl2,0 said:

I understand what people are saying about playing BB in a two in centre midfield and I agree. However I think he did provide some of the better bits of play going forward, eg the run and pass for Musaba (that he blazed over - you’ve got to hit the target from there!)

My criticism of having 2 in the middle wasn't really aimed at Bannans performance as was one of our better players.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Snap said:

Did Byers go off injured? I thought he was having a decent game. 

I actually think midfield is where we have relative strength but it's always been better with 3 in there not just 2 

Was surprised that Byers got hooked assuming it was tactical 

• Like 1

Today was so frustrating because in that first 30 minutes we were the better side by some stretch, and if Musaba would have put that shot in, instead of hitting the moon with it (obviously jesting)... it would have been a different game. 

We were passing with a confidence, moving well as a unit, and aside from some ring rust from Johnson we looked in control. 

Fletcher worked hard before the first mark on the scoresheet, but he's just far from the answer for us. But we already knew that. Cadamarteri offered so much more, forced a good save, was as busy as Fletcher had been and created chances too. TBH, I'd give Bailey more of a go between now and January. Then we need to get someone in with proven quality, which will be difficult but... Not impossible depending on what DC wants from this season of course.

I thought it was rough on Byers to come off at HT, and Hendrick showed absolutely zero when he came on as his replacement aside from everything that Reading fans had been saying about him. He's just not the player for a fight. At all. 

Fletcher and Hendrick's loans need cancelling in January, and replacing with better players. Unless Momo Diaby comes back in to replace Hendrick, and can pick up where he left off before the injury. 

Their keeper's save from Pato was fantastic in the second half, although the game was already gone by then. 

Today represents a massive marker, if Röhl needed it, of what's needed for us. I'd like the steel of Ihiekwe back in the side, he didn't do anything wrong v Rotherham and at times dominated our box. Something which we far from did today. 

As mentioned elsewhere, I don't think Vasquez would have done much different for the first goal and I'm not totally blaming Dawson, that's more shocking defending that keeping IMO. But the third... Oh dear. 

However, I'm not justifying the booing of him after that goal. While the game is ongoing, dead or not, booing our own players is something which I'll never agree with. Full time, nothing wrong with it if it's justified, but during the game? Nope. 

Ah well. A LONG international break ahead... This 'mini pre season' as Röhl puts it, is huge for so many reasons. But more than everything we need to come out of it all hands to the pump fighting for every point. 

19 minutes ago, HoylandOwl said:

TBH, I'd give Bailey more of a go between now and January

As @Reesh has said we need to nurse Bailey into first team games. He had a double hernia op at the back end of last season and the rigours of first team football are a lot different from 21s. He does it again and he could be out for a year. 

• Like 3