Brizzle City Away match thread......

Reesh

14 minutes ago, Chelters said:

Dawson has form for that sort of fuck up unfortunately. If the plan is to use the keeper to play the ball it has to be Vasquez.

I am not sure what this playing out massively adds to our game, not compared to the ruddy downsides it creates 

Annoying as we were on par in this game and it's now a probable defeat for them

Seeing it again utter stupidity from Dawson to play the pass. But in terms of the challenge Dawson was in a normal position, I think James had gone toward the line so not an obvious goal scoring situation.

So not sure a red was actually due under the laws of the game.

But this would be academic if Dawson had booted it 70 yards like he should have done 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Chelters said:

Dawson has form for that sort of fuck up unfortunately. If the plan is to use the keeper to play the ball it has to be Vasquez.

Agree he is more accomplished with ball at feet but he's done a few similar ricks himself. If we continue with the playing it out hopefully we get better at it as a group.

Just now, Teddy Nickelarse said:

Agree he is more accomplished with ball at feet but he's done a few similar ricks himself. If we continue with the playing it out hopefully we get better at it as a group.

Funny though, how many of them have been passes to Bannan by both keepers.

He's been caught loads of times this season.

Bannan's awareness is terrible when he's receiving the ball.

11 minutes ago, Teddy Nickelarse said:

I agree with that.  At Swansea, in 2nd half, Vasquez actually looked like he was trying to give a goal away that way. Eventually he did. 

A defeat with a degree of honour.

Still a defeat but you cannot fault the attitude and application.

Lady luck certainly kicks you when you are down. Even the goal was a nick of Vaulks to fall to their defender. 

Hopefully we can have another good week on the training pitch. 

That was a good away performance, in almost every aspect. Their keeper made a couple of excellent saves, the header from Iorfa and then the save from Fletcher. Although I'd call the latter more of a 'miss'. 

There's an identity about us now, we do press much more than we did. We have a desire to win the ball back and in Musaba, we've got someone who carries us down the pitch in a matter of seconds it seems... And of course Gassama did it too in the first half. If he'd have brought that lung busting run to an end with a finish, that's goal of the season undoubtedly. 

The sending off was a load of shite. Regardless of 'denial of goalscoring opportunity'. So, Dishon Bernard being behind Dawson, who was closing Knight down, doesn't count as someone who could stop the ball? I get it if there's only Dawson. Bernard was in direct sight of the ball, not coming in from the side, he was shaping to try and block. So it wasn't that much of an opportunity like being clean through. Their number 22 should have gone for persistent fouling, there was 2 from him in the final 10 mins of the game that were both yellow card worthy challenges yet only one was punished. 

It's gutting that we lost, and to see us still 9 points from safety, but that performance is another one which gives us the chance to be optimistic and look forward. 

• Like 3

Some post match bits from the boss.

It's a pity we didn't get something for our performance. We did everything on the pitch. We sprinted, fought and this performance is going in the right direction.

It's important about the process. I'm so proud of my team. We had 3/4 opportunities today with Anthony and then the free-kick but at the moment the outcome is not what we need. We need to go forward with this passion and mentality.

It was a foul but for me it wasn't clear. Behind it he two guys in front of the goal. For me it's not the last man but maybe we ask the ref. This happens and we have to accept this.

It was about discipline. We spoke about adjusting because they (City) were looking for pockets against ten men. We were brave because we put in a second striker. We had a big chance with the free-kick. All in all we did everything to get something

If you want to play out from the GK then sometimes mistakes happen. We'll analyse this. But I see a process and it wasn't easy for Bristol either. We've seen massive steps forward. We need results but it's also important to see the process.

Windass got an injury in training and we'll know more in the next few days.

He (Gassama) had big chance first half. It's about decisions but step-by-step he is going forward. He was fantastic in training and deserved a start.

5 minutes ago, Snap said:

I admit I was thinking the same but surely he had the nod from the bench, can't see him doing it off his own bat would he?

His issue was he didn’t read the cross at all. He bombed in ahead of the ball and therefore put himself in that situation when the cross came in behind him. 

On reflection it was a pretty decent performance and unlucky not to get a point.

A few weeks ago that sending off would have been the trigger for a total collapse. Still annoyed that Dawson chose the option for a short pass. If you re-visit it then it wasn't from a goal kick, it was from the touchline to him and there were 3 Bristol City players lurking. A 70 yard up the field moment.

I do think what will cost us this season is the lack of quality in the final third

I think we are now seeing that Musaba and Gassama might have that x-factor to get us up the pitch. It’s that number 9 position where we are short, we are now creating good chances every single game, and the players are far more progressive with the ball.

If we have any sort of money available, we need a big mobile 9 that the likes of Gassama, Musaba and Windass can play off, but more than anything else, we need a player who is capable of getting 15 goals from Jan to the end of the season. I would suggest it’s two forwards.

We also need a left sided equivalent of Pol Valentin too.

If you look at the loans, you’d possibly suggest that Fletcher and Hendricks are certain to go. Diaby hasn’t played, I am sure that Rohl will want a proper look.

Buckley is an odd one, he’s a decent player but I think his lack of mobility perhaps doesn’t suit us.

I agree on Vazquez, I like him, I think we actually have two decent keepers but both with flaws. Both are decent shot stoppers, Vazquez is much better with his feet, but poor on crosses, whilst Dawson is not so good with his feet, but his decision making on when to come and when to stay is decent. I think you can split playing time with them based on a opposition.

53 minutes ago, mkowl said:

On reflection it was a pretty decent performance and unlucky not to get a point.

A few weeks ago that sending off would have been the trigger for a total collapse. Still annoyed that Dawson chose the option for a short pass. If you re-visit it then it wasn't from a goal kick, it was from the touchline to him and there were 3 Bristol City players lurking. A 70 yard up the field moment.

I do think what will cost us this season is the lack of quality in the final third

It was a rick by Dawson but as others have said IF we are going to persist with playing out from the keeper/back the outfield players have to be alert Bannan wasn't notwithstanding Dawson's poor choice. It's  happened before this season with other players ( and keeper).

On a more general theme I like is that the vast majority of fans are very much on board with how DR is progressing things notwithstanding the stark stad of obe win and 3 defeats in four. Anyone can see that we are much improved which will only progress IMO as the squad gets fitter.

I expect an injection of a bit of quality in January probably facilitated by most of the loanees going back if loan terms permit. The permanent Xisco signings are fortunately showing to be the better summer recruits.

Just now, Andyben said:

Isn't Fletcher 'ours' on a short term contract not on loan?

It was one of the young lads, Musaba or Gassama who was supposed to be a loan but became a permanent at the last minute.

Bernard is also on a short contract.

We could also look to make Momo permanent in January if Rohl likes him as he's on a loan to buy.

1 hour ago, Andyben said:

Would you give Buckley a run in Bannan role, or shore it up with two from Byers/Vaulks /Hendrick and use them to feed the wingers/wing backs 

Buckley seems a tad lacking in physicality - be a good option in a side that dominates possession which we aren't.

There are still times, evident in the early part of yesterday's game where the gaps in our midfield are easy to exploit. Not saying the missing Diaby is the solution but he did look like he could be

5 minutes ago, Tylluan said:

We need to get him on at least another year as he's already been looked at by other clubs

Seem to recall there was an interview where he basically suggested he was coming here to put himself in the window hence why he'd only signed on for a year. Said something like, the championship is great, but I want to be playing higher.

I think technically, Buckley can do the Bannan role. But physically and athletically he can’t. He’s just not mobile or physical enough, I don’t think he’s a great reader of the game defensively.

I do think there is a role for him if his fitness improves, perhaps even as a 10 in a three behind a striker.

• Like 1

What I’d actually like to see in Jan is a goalscorer, a mobile 9, a proper 10 and a left back.

If we have to terminate loans and get rid of a few to do this, so be it.

Certainly Fletcher and Hendricks, if we can ship out a couple on loan such as Lee Gregory and Liam Palmer, that would give us the space we need in the squad.

4 minutes ago, KrolMong said:

What I’d actually like to see in Jan is a goalscorer, a mobile 9, a proper 10 and a left back.

If we have to terminate loans and get rid of a few to do this, so be it.

Certainly Fletcher and Hendricks, if we can ship out a couple on loan such as Lee Gregory and Liam Palmer, that would give us the space we need in the squad.

I like Hendrick, and thi k hell come good same as Byers and Vaulks have despite getting pelters from our fans initially