You gotta Röhl with it - Watford match thread.

Reesh

1 hour ago, 80s Owl said:

It's not been a particularly happy hunting ground Vicarage Rd in the last few years but hoping the Rohl factor can get the "no wins" hoodoo off our backs.

Nor for me - went to Watford, saw Boris Johnson campaigning, call from Mrs MK to say young un had probably bust his wrist playing football, train back, never saw the game 

My first memory of watching us at Vicarage Road was when Graham Taylor was in charge. In a style similar to that which I think Xisco wanted for us, Watford ripped us apart on the counterattack. Speed down the wings with John Barnes left and ? Callaghan right with Wilf Rostrum overlapping and, I think, Blisset and Jenkins (fast, big, powerful) up front. Four nil at half time.

I remember thinking at HT, that if we get a quick goal we might still get something out of the game. And straight from the kick off, the defence opened up and Ticker Taylor ran through on goal.

He missed. The hoped for comeback petered out. FT 4-0. But I have a weird affection for the game as it was my first hearing, at a match, of “always look on the bright side of life”.

15 minutes ago, M42Owl said:

My first memory of watching us at Vicarage Road was when Graham Taylor was in charge. In a style similar to that which I think Xisco wanted for us, Watford ripped us apart on the counterattack. Speed down the wings with John Barnes left and ? Callaghan right with Wilf Rostrum overlapping and, I think, Blisset and Jenkins (fast, big, powerful) up front. Four nil at half time.

I remember thinking at HT, that if we get a quick goal we might still get something out of the game. And straight from the kick off, the defence opened up and Ticker Taylor ran through on goal.

He missed. The hoped for comeback petered out. FT 4-0. But I have a weird affection for the game as it was my first hearing, at a match, of “always look on the bright side of life”.

Wilf Rostron even?

1 hour ago, M42Owl said:

I wasn't at that but remember one of the mates saying afterwards that he tried to get out before or at half time and couldn't. He definitely wasn't happy!  

1 hour ago, M42Owl said:

Wilf Rostrum's last stand?   😋

6 hours ago, M42Owl said:

Nigel.

I know their are loads of opinions on the ticket priority points system but I’m a bit pissed off that this one sold out the day before I could get tickets 

I missed hull away as I was in holiday been to cardiff Swansea and Leeds and going to Plymouth but missing out tomorrow 😡😡

Yes I probably could have bought tickets off people that were selling on but that defeats the reason for TPP

Anyway will watch from home 🙌🙌🙌 and still looking forward to it might start on the cans from 9 o clock just to make the experience of travelling 😂😂😂

UTO 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, HappyOwl said:

I know their are loads of opinions on the ticket priority points system but I’m a bit pissed off that this one sold out the day before I could get tickets 

I missed hull away as I was in holiday been to cardiff Swansea and Leeds and going to Plymouth but missing out tomorrow 😡😡

Yes I probably could have bought tickets off people that were selling on but that defeats the reason for TPP

Anyway will watch from home 🙌🙌🙌 and still looking forward to it might start on the cans from 9 o clock just to make the experience of travelling 😂😂😂

UTO 

Tickets came available from office late last night and this morning .. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, HappyOwl said:

UTO 

I’m in a similar position. Been to Cardiff, Swansea, WBA, off to Plymouth. Wondering whether I’ll get a Bristol City ticket with hotel already booked. But I’m reluctant to help someone else’s points harvesting. And the more I see posts like this, the more I think one minor tweak to the TPP process would solve the problem.

No TPPs if a game (away game) is sold out. 
Points only available for games where everyone has an equal chance of getting a ticket.

It won’t be immediate, but it’ll soon end points harvesting.

Your “reward” for buying a ticket at a sold out match: you see the match live. 
Your “reward” for buying a ticket for e.g. midweek at Plymouth: you see the match live and get 10 points.

• Like 1

I want to see the makings of a plan today. A week is not a lot of time to get a full set up in place, but to see an idea of how we will set up with and without the ball will be good, even if it doesn’t take hold immediately. I’d like to see us cause some problems today for more than a 5 minute spell - which is all we managed under Xisco. Whether we have the players to capitalise on that, the jury is out on, but, to cause problems will be a good start.

Rohl talks about keeping things simple, that makes a lot of sense and I think the players will respond to that.

That was Xisco’s issue. I didn’t see any formulation of anything in any game he was in charge of.

I am going to have a wild stab at the team…

Dawson

Iorfa, Ihiekwe, Bernard, James

Buckley, Vaulks, Bannan

Musaba, Smith, Windass

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HappyOwl said:

Can someone settle an argument for me please is Marvyn Johnson named in the squad for selection or not?

Think in one of DR's interviews he said Johnson was back training with the squad and being assessed fitness wise. 

But he also said something about players aptitude on field and off field. Don't know whether that was sort of aimed at Johnson or not.

8 minutes ago, HappyOwl said:

Can someone settle an argument for me please is Marvyn Johnson named in the squad for selection or not?

I'd heard he'd been added a couple of weeks ago but seems it was false.

Interesting selection. Not a fan of Bambo but we'll see. No Ihekwei either. Bernard been away so not surprised and anyway Famewo  more natural left sided player.

Hendrick most have shown more in training than we've  seen in matches so far. 

Edited by Teddy Nickelarse

Guessing that’s Pato and Valentin as wing backs, Windass and Musaba up top? 

Also presuming Ihiekwe has a knock, would’ve preferred him between Famewo and Iorfa. Can see why Bernard’s been rested.  

Looks to me like a side set up to hit on the counter, playing it on the floor.
Hendrick is odd one for me but feel like we’ve not seen the best out of any of the new lads yet. 

Anyway I know fuck all, let’s just hope for an improvement.