Wednesday wins 21

Huddersfield wins 25

Draws 17

Last time we played em at S6.

March 17th 2021

Wednesday 1 - 1 Huddersfield

Goals: Windass (36) - Paterson OG (72)

Our team that day.

Westwood, Palmer, Borner, Lees, Hutchinson (Urhoghide 61), Harris (Shaw 61), Pelupessy, Bannan, Reach, Windass (Kachunga 81), Rhodes (Paterson 61)

Unused Subs: Wildsmith, Penney, Hunt, Marriott, Green

Officials for Saturday

REF: MATTHEW DONOHUE
Assistants: Paul Hodskinson and Jonathan Hunt
Fourth Official : Scott Oldham

The last time Mr Donohue reffed us....

Our 4-2 defeat at Hull earlier this season.

His last appearance in the middle at S6, was our 3-1 win early last season.

This season, in 8 games, he's dished out 37 yellow cards. He's yet to show a red. In his last game, Ipswich v Hull in midweek.. He didn't show any cards.

4 hours ago, HoylandOwl said:

Head to head record v Huddersfield Town

Wednesday wins 21

Huddersfield wins 25

Draws 17

Last time we played em at S6.

March 17th 2021

Wednesday 1 - 1 Huddersfield

Goals: Windass (36) - Paterson OG (72)

Our team that day.

Westwood, Palmer, Borner, Lees, Hutchinson (Urhoghide 61), Harris (Shaw 61), Pelupessy, Bannan, Reach, Windass (Kachunga 81), Rhodes (Paterson 61)

Unused Subs: Wildsmith, Penney, Hunt, Marriott, Green

I’m a little surprised we’ve played them so few times. Given they were historically a team that did reasonably well for a small town.

I maybe clutching at straws but I hope NT has had enough time to instill a change of approach.

Let's not forget pro players at our level 'know their onions largely' the dressing room is key, always has been and always will be, the team ethic and message has to align between coaches etc and players, much like any other walk in life.

I'm hopefully positive that NT can replicate some of what he achieved last time he was stand in.

2-0 Wednesday.

UTO 

Don't know what to expect really. These players are not world beaters, there is an inherent limitation as I think both technically and physically they are below the average standard required in the Championship.

But a bit of organisation and consistency with formation and tactics will be useful after the last 2 months. Repairing confidence levels is hard to judge 

As long as NT doesn't go into a game against DM playing a pedestrian DM side playing DM tactics because it's 'tried and tested' against Accrington.

DM knows the limitations of that team, he tried and failed for 2 years to mitigate them, so will know exactly what it takes to beat us.

Tom Lees has already said they're going for an early goal.

Just do something different, NT has had good results with the 4141 in the u21s, do that.

Anything but 352 with Gregoryuas the target man.

I hear what you are saying about the limitations MK but we also saw some good performances and results with the team we had in L1 against clubs from higher leagues. People might say those teams were not at full strength but I’d argue neither were we in every case.

So, maybe difficult over 46 games but with the right preparation and set up I think we can get results in this league. We all know the strikers needs help but I’d argue Smith, Gregory and Wilks can get goals, with people like Byers and Pato also capable.

A 352 or 4141 could work depending on who’s fit and what NT know about how the opposition might set up.

Id go with the following, in the hope we’ve been working on set plays.

Vasquez

Iorfa Icky Bernard (/Famewo if fit)

Valentin Byers Vaulks Paterson James

Smith Gregory (or maybe Wilks)

Subs Delgado (bring on 2nd half if we need a goal but still not convinced on his end product), Palmer, Bakinson (I might swap him for Vaulks) Gassama, Musaba, Hendrick.

Assuming BB & JW don’t make a surprise recovery. I’d have both in 11 if they do.

Edited by Tank_Owl2,0

11 minutes ago, Tank_Owl2,0 said:

I hear what you are saying about the limitations MK but we also saw some good performances and results with the team we had in L1 against clubs from higher leagues. People might say those teams were not at full strength but I’d argue neither were we in every case.

The issue has never been ability, it's mentality.

The issues this season are the ones from last.

Pressure games, they fall apart.

Go a goal down, they fall apart.

Press and deny time on the ball, they fall apart.

Lose a game, don't win for 3-4, but we haven't won one to break that cycle this season as we're playing a completely different level of opposition all of whom are a magnitude better at exploiting our weaknesses than last year and every game has more pressure than any game over the last 2 years.

The one thing about all of the great results is that they were all a 'free hit'.

Newcastle, Southampton, even Portsmouth in the playoffs.

Nobody expected them to win, nobody thought they would.

No pressure. I'd even argue that if Portsmouth had won by inly 1 or 2, we wouldn't have come nick for the second leg.

Anyways, as soon as they get a win or 2, they'll be like a different team.

1 hour ago, Boracic Lint said:

The issue has never been ability, it's mentality.

The issues this season are the ones from last.

Pressure games, they fall apart.

Go a goal down, they fall apart.

Press and deny time on the ball, they fall apart.

Lose a game, don't win for 3-4, but we haven't won one to break that cycle this season as we're playing a completely different level of opposition all of whom are a magnitude better at exploiting our weaknesses than last year and every game has more pressure than any game over the last 2 years.

The one thing about all of the great results is that they were all a 'free hit'.

Newcastle, Southampton, even Portsmouth in the playoffs.

Nobody expected them to win, nobody thought they would.

No pressure. I'd even argue that if Portsmouth had won by inly 1 or 2, we wouldn't have come nick for the second leg.

Anyways, as soon as they get a win or 2, they'll be like a different team.

Yeah I’ll never forgot that comeback from 0-4 against  Portsmouth… 🤣

• Haha 4

7 minutes ago, owl71 said:

Yeah I’ll never forgot that comeback from 0-4 against  Portsmouth… 🤣

That's the thing, it was a 'miracle'.

There was absolutely no pressure for a result going into that game.

It was just all out attack with no consequences. 

Had they gone into that game with a closer score, we would have been more cagey, more defensive to try and get back in it without going further behind.

13 minutes ago, Boracic Lint said:

That's the thing, it was a 'miracle'.

There was absolutely no pressure for a result going into that game.

It was just all out attack with no consequences. 

Had they gone into that game with a closer score, we would have been more cagey, more defensive to try and get back in it without going further behind.

Portsmouth have recovered well from that humiliation to be fair 

• Haha 1

A couple of points from that.

We were right to sack Xisco as he's too unlucky. If we'd played these last week he'd still be manager. They were by far the worst side we've played so far.

If we'd played last season's promotion side all season so far, we'd still be bottom. So pedestrian with no pace whatsoever.

8 minutes ago, owl4ever1867 said:

Nothing wrong with that, Dawson made a pigs ear of that punch & they score....

I'd be fuming if it was the other way round...

Lucky boy Dawson.

It was an arm into his face so it was a foul, but that would have been typical 

At least Dawson goes for crosses not like Vasquez.

Battling performance at least, just a lack of quality in the final 3rd, but looked more solid in the defensive 3rd and more competitive in the midfield 3rd 

So stopped the rot but how we can convert this to scoring goals and winning I think is going to be a tough gig for any new manager 

Wednesday and Huddersfield will be 2 of the bottom 4 this season.

We edged it, but have zero cutting edge and attacking quality. We looked more organized but that was as much down to Huddersfield being equally bad with the ball.

I’ll say this again, we don’t have the ability in the squad to win 15 games this season. Particularly with the ball.

Was good to see some enthusiasm from players who looked devoid of it under xisco. But a combo of a lack of quality and confidence will be difficult for any manager coming in when they have such a points gap to overcome. Felt like we needed a win today and perhaps we would have if we connected with that fk early second half. We just need something like that to go for us as plenty hasn’t.

Moore didn’t show us what we were missing really. He lacked any real idea as to how to beat his own team 

• Like 1

If we don't have anyone to come in in Monday then I'd give Thompson til January and relax a bit on the search. 

If he can do that inside 2-3 training sessions and have that response from the players then let's see what he can do with the International break. 

I'm pleased that a couple of the 21s were on the bench. They could provide a temporary edge if he has the bottle to play them

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Tylluan said:

If we don't have anyone to come in in Monday then I'd give Thompson til January and relax a bit on the search. 

If he can do that inside 2-3 training sessions and have that response from the players then let's see what he can do with the International break. 

I'm pleased that a couple of the 21s were on the bench. They could provide a temporary edge if he has the bottle to play them

Could be a Stuart Gray type if the players like him 

Let's be right we won't play many (any?) worse sides this season needed three points was disappointing not to get them, but we created so little.

We did look a team low on confidence, the Palmer mis control was clear evidence of that. I would have hooked Paterson at half time thought he was woeful.

Bernard has been the one bright spot though looks a real player.