Neil Thompsons Barmy Army - Huddersfield match thread

Reesh

I think what we are saying is that whilst a box on paper works, we don’t have the full-backs to do it in a 4. And we don’t have the right balance of 6, 8,s and 10’s to fill that box four properly.

They key to a box is to be able to dominate possession, barring Bannan and maybe Buckley, have we got anyone who is willing to dominate the ball?

2 hours ago, Tylluan said:

The box could go two ways. 

The bottom 2 could track the midfield runners and drop in, allowing the left and right centre halves to go wide defensively. The top 2 would have to fill the middle though and the two wide forwards would drop in like wingers. 

The other way would be like @Andyben suggested. To have the bottom two slightly wider, to cover defensively and the top two becoming 8s. This could also allow a centre half to step through when the situation allowed. 

It's really hard to write on here what I'm seeing in my head. 

If it's any consolation, pal, you could be writing a foreign language from where I'm sat.  😉

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, KrolMong said:

I think what we are saying is that whilst a box on paper works, we don’t have the full-backs to do it in a 4. And we don’t have the right balance of 6, 8,s and 10’s to fill that box four properly.

They key to a box is to be able to dominate possession, barring Bannan and maybe Buckley, have we got anyone who is willing to dominate the ball?

Just keep kicking it and it'll soon give in.  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, KrolMong said:

You're right mate. As with anything it should always be plan first, recruitment second, but I don't think we've done that for quite a while. Even Moore fell on 3-5-2 after trying all sorts out after bringing the players in. 

As for us now, whoever comes in should just try and up the tempo and keep it as basic as possible, if only for @Owling_Wolf sake 😄

• Haha 1

I should point out after that, that whilst not a star of academia, I'm not thick either.  I simply remember being told that football is a simple game, but over the last ten years or so we seem to be determined to complicate the bloody thing.

I blame Carlos. Until him and his book I'd never heard of 'transition', though it isn't anything new. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Owling_Wolf said:

I should point out after that, that whilst not a star of academia, I'm not thick either.  I simply remember being told that football is a simple game, but over the last ten years or so we seem to be determined to complicate the bloody thing.

You're not wrong there Fred. Get the ball out wide, then get to the byline and cross it to the big blokes who are all facing goal and all onside.

When you've lost the ball, the centre half will do a job on their big bloke and the full backs will deal with their wingers.

Midfield is a means of moving the ball forward or stopping it coming back through.

Obviously that's what the opposition are also trying to do and that's when it turns into a great game.

4 minutes ago, Skamp said:

You're not wrong there Fred. Get the ball out wide, then get to the byline and cross it to the big blokes who are all facing goal and all onside.

When you've lost the ball, the centre half will do a job on their big bloke and the full backs will deal with their wingers.

Midfield is a means of moving the ball forward or stopping it coming back through.

Obviously that's what the opposition are also trying to do and that's when it turns into a great game.

Is life in colour difficult for you?

55 minutes ago, Skamp said:

Worst Peter Kay monologue Ever

3 hours ago, Skamp said:

🙂

8 hours ago, Skamp said:

Congratulations Scamp you've just passed the FA Introduction to Coaching Football course. 

That'll be £100 please.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Tylluan said:

Congratulations Scamp you've just passed the FA Introduction to Coaching Football course. 

That'll be £100 please.

But it's not difficult is it?  It's the coaches that have made it difficult with their box 4 and false 10 bollocks. 

Get the ball forward and get on the box instead of buggering about playing square on the half way line and then passing to someone who's first job is to get the ball and the second job is to turn to face the goal.

Do they even learn how to trap a ball these days? Genuine question

I wasn't taking the Mick, matey. 

That's literally all you have to do for that entry level course, have an understanding of the game. But it costs £100, takes a month to complete, and you have to stay awake through countless zoom seminars. 

Then all the dads come out of it thinking they're Pep. 

As for a box 4. Maybe I should have just said left half, right half, inside left and inside right 😉

9 minutes ago, Skamp said:

Do they even learn how to trap a ball these days? Genuine question

Seriously, it depends on the youth coach. I've seen that much local kids football where it's all about playing it on the deck. The older coaches will teach solid basics like chest traps and controlling as the ball lands but they're a dying breed. The younger ones teach the game they're growing up with, so it's all about movement and transition (in a 7-a-side game) and pass and go. 

This is all great when you're winter training in a sports hall or on astro but then you end up playing on a junior school pitch or local rec where the grass is 2" long and the divots are higher than the kids boots.

2 minutes ago, Andyben said:

The new style.of boots don't help.

Its like sending beginners out to play a round of golf with professional clubs.

Make em play in their school shoes and then get told off at the end of each game by their Mum for ruining em

Actually that article was quite interesting if you stick with it and avoid getting wound up by the unnecessarily inaccessible terminology, likes pivots (wing halfs) and interiors (inside forwards).  The most interesting bit was the part about teams only really being in their official “formation” when in possession and during a build up phase of play, and that how they actually get into that shape (after say defending a corner) is often critical to its success.  Nobody is ever a 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 or whatever out of possession, because they have to react to wherever the ball is, and whatever runs are being made.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Andyben said:

All works well until some one comes along and decides not to play with Wingers @Skamp

They might even win a world cup playing hat way.

Unless your mandating fixed teams positions and turns to play, like R**by or American football...

Wait til’ you hear this one. A recent World and European Champion did it without playing a striker. And they outscored everyone!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/10/2023 at 17:13, Owling_Wolf said:

I blame Carlos. Until him and his book I'd never heard of 'transition', though it isn't anything new. 

At the end of BBC News on t.v. just now their weatherman just told us that the UK weather will be transitioning tomorrow.  FFS!!!    There's no escape!   😡

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/10/2023 at 14:18, Tylluan said:

The box could go two ways. 

The bottom 2 could track the midfield runners and drop in, allowing the left and right centre halves to go wide defensively. The top 2 would have to fill the middle though and the two wide forwards would drop in like wingers. 

The other way would be like @Andyben suggested. To have the bottom two slightly wider, to cover defensively and the top two becoming 8s. This could also allow a centre half to step through when the situation allowed. 

It's really hard to write on here what I'm seeing in my head. 

Madrid seem to be playing it this evening. @KrolMong's   4-2-2-2 with Valverde and Bellingham as 10's and Camavinga / Modric sitting. 

Although Modric is breaking forward and the full backs, Fran Jr and Carvajal playing as proper wingers 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Andyben said:

Madrid seem to be playing it this evening. @KrolMong's   4-2-2-2 with Valverde and Bellingham as 10's and Camavinga / Modric sitting. 

Although Modric is breaking forward and the full backs, Fran Jr and Carvajal playing as proper wingers 

Yeah.

Madrid only ever sent the full back on it the ball was on that side. Camavinga can play full back so quite often dropped in so they always had three/four back.

That box works if the midfield players can fill full back positions and the full backs can raid.

To relate it to us, Valentin can do that on the right, Johnson COULD do that on left. I’m not certain that we have a midfield player who could plug into a full back slot barring probably Bannan (who was naturally a left midfield player) and maybe Vaulks.

But… if Iorfa is one of the two centre halves and Mo Diaby is one of the Defensive two, you could push Iorfa right and have Diaby in the middle, this means Valentin has cover. 

• Like 2