Chairman's statement

Otto_Man

16 minutes ago, Chelters said:

And let’s be clear, DC not putting any more funding in probably means that in the not too distant future the players, staff and HMRC will not be paid. The club is not self sustainable. 

There seems to be conjecture as to what that means, but its a very strong statement 

No club in the Championship is really sustainable - some even with parachute payments 

I simply don’t understand why they haven’t tried to engage with him.

We have a phrase at work for any global program that is going to cause disruption, we call it ‘winning hearts and minds.’

So, you try and build a bit of rapport with the owner, he’s more likely to listen to suggestions, and then if he doesn’t want to play ball - you then kick up a bit of a fuss. They’ve skipped the engagement piece completely and moved straight to shock and awe.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, KrolMong said:

We have a phrase at work for any global program that is going to cause disruption, we call it ‘winning hearts and minds.’

So, you try and build a bit of rapport with the owner, he’s more likely to listen to suggestions, and then if he doesn’t want to play ball - you then kick up a bit of a fuss. They’ve skipped the engagement piece completely and moved straight to shock and awe.

I’ll be winning hearts and minds tonight like the Americans did in Vietnam.

fucking stupid Bastards have proper fucked us up big time.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, KrolMong said:

And this is what I don’t get either.

If this 1867 Group know of (or are fronted by) a potential investor, then why the fuck aren’t they acting as a middle man or mediator to get people sat around a table, in order to find out what Chansiri wants? Following that, it might then be possible to put the wheels in motion and try and find an amicable way forward in acquiring the club.

For all we know Chansiri might well be prepared to take a substantial hit financially, but unless someone talks to him and can provide proof of funds to show they aren’t just tyre kickers, nothing is going to happen.

It’s not exactly fucking rocket science is it?

4 minutes ago, Bellsview said:

And this is what I don’t get either.

If this 1867 Group know of (or are fronted by) a potential investor, then why the fuck aren’t they acting as a middle man or mediator to get people sat around a table, in order to find out what Chansiri wants? Following that, it might then be possible to put the wheels in motion and try and find an amicable way forward in acquiring the club.

For all we know Chansiri might well be prepared to take a substantial hit financially, but unless someone talks to him and can provide proof of funds to show they aren’t just tyre kickers, nothing is going to happen.

It’s not exactly fucking rocket science is it?

I think they're trying to back him into a corner and get the fans onside in the process, they've failed miserably on both counts. The direct Tweet (or X) to Bannan was nothing short of disgraceful.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Chelters said:

This needs the more sensible end of the fan base to engage with DC and let him know that most of us, if not exactly backing him, recognise that things should be done properly and respect the investment he has made. It might get things back on track. 

Yes, but then they'd be "happy clappers" and "part of the problem"!   

Arrogant bar stewards.

Do we think there are decent prospective owners out there? Genuine question for anyone slightly itk as EFL football doesn’t look that attractive post all the P&S deductions and debts post covid. Some decent sized clubs have been available but struggled to get stellar offers or remain up for sale. Maybe I’m wrong on that.

Up to this summer I think many other than the militant few on social media had been happy to give DC the benefit of the doubt as he had been showing signs of adapting. Then it’s become evident he’s struggling to make us competitive given the way he insists on doing things so really we need a change but that has to be right for all. More recently though he’s completely lost his head and many those who had been fairly sanguine about when change happens on the basis that he is well intentioned and covers losses will probably start to feel alienated also. Everything he’s said and done in recent months has made life more difficult for himself and the club (despite his talk about protecting the club) and the fans aren’t to blame for that. It’s constant bad call after constant bad call and Wednesday will have a reputation under him for players and staff we want to recruit. 

We are between a rock and a hard place as we are very much reliant on a thin skinned owner with appalling media ability but likewise the limited options to move forward with him are disappearing fast if not completely. This is partly due to protests but he’s fanned the flames himself over the years and particularly very recently. If some get what they want in the short term though it could be out the frying pan and into the fire (which is ignored on other social media sites other than this one).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chelters said:

This needs the more sensible end of the fan base to engage with DC and let him know that most of us, if not exactly backing him, recognise that things should be done properly and respect the investment he has made. It might get things back on track. 

If I read that statement it alludes to that "go about it the right way". I think a few of us on here know what that entails. Ok I am a few tens of millions short of being an investor and can't say I know anyone stupid enough to invest in football either. It really needs some local business guys to take up the mantle, not the 10 Bob millionaire types either.

I am not going to hide behind the fact I have been critical. There is actually a decent article from Alan Biggs that I was reading just before this statement landed. It certainly echoes my views on DC needs to delegate and have good advisors around him. That horse has bolted and I have said a few times on here understanding DC is vital, that he wouldn't be bullied, this statement really does not surprise me. Very typical of people who run their own business, in my world managing them is half the job in doing the accounts

26 minutes ago, 80s Owl said:

I was thinking more of fans that are backing it rather than the instigators themselves.

There might be a couple of dozen lads, young, dumb and full of ale that might half heartedly attempt something. The vast majority "backing" this shit won't be there and the "leaders" are too chicken shit to out themselves. It'll undoubtedly go the same way as the tennis ball nonsense did, but obviously not before we've been embarrassed in front of a national audience (again).

The irony of listening to these clowns suggesting the chairman is embarrassing our club...

1 hour ago, TheExile said:

Do we think there are decent prospective owners out there? Genuine question for anyone slightly itk as EFL football doesn’t look that attractive post all the P&S deductions and debts post covid. Some decent sized clubs have been available but struggled to get stellar offers or remain up for sale. Maybe I’m wrong on that.

Up to this summer I think many other than the militant few on social media had been happy to give DC the benefit of the doubt as he had been showing signs of adapting. Then it’s become evident he’s struggling to make us competitive given the way he insists on doing things so really we need a change but that has to be right for all. More recently though he’s completely lost his head and many those who had been fairly sanguine about when change happens on the basis that he is well intentioned and covers losses will probably start to feel alienated also. Everything he’s said and done in recent months has made life more difficult for himself and the club (despite his talk about protecting the club) and the fans aren’t to blame for that. It’s constant bad call after constant bad call and Wednesday will have a reputation under him for players and staff we want to recruit. 

We are between a rock and a hard place as we are very much reliant on a thin skinned owner with appalling media ability but likewise the limited options to move forward with him are disappearing fast if not completely. This is partly due to protests but he’s fanned the flames himself over the years and particularly very recently. If some get what they want in the short term though it could be out the frying pan and into the fire (which is ignored on other social media sites other than this one).

The short answer is, yes. But the price has to be attractive and there has to be the carat of making money, which can only be achieved if you get to the Premier League.

What would be a fair price for us? If I was to put a number on it, you’d probably say 25-40 million including stadium and all facilities. Now, is that what DC has paid? Nope. But what you pay, and what it is worth are two different things. I know that DC wants a lot more than what I have suggested above, and I also know that whilst there has been interest, it’s never got to the point of a proper bid.

So, are Wednesday capable of making money? The answer is yes, if someone came in, and set initial low expectations but worked on the academy and scouting simply to get us trading players we would be able to make the premier league without having to risk P&L. And remember, you only have to get there, you don’t have to stay there…

The challenge is that any owner is going to have to willingly accept that to start again might take five years. And the type of owner you will attract is not going to have that level of patience. And I can tell you know, a chunk of our fanbase wouldn’t accept it either even though it is the right thing to do.

Let’s be clear, every owner since Richard’s has had the fanbase turn on them including Milan.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, mkowlthesexynewversion said:

If I read that statement it alludes to that "go about it the right way". I think a few of us on here know what that entails. Ok I am a few tens of millions short of being an investor and can't say I know anyone stupid enough to invest in football either. It really needs some local business guys to take up the mantle, not the 10 Bob millionaire types either.

I am not going to hide behind the fact I have been critical. There is actually a decent article from Alan Biggs that I was reading just before this statement landed. It certainly echoes my views on DC needs to delegate and have good advisors around him. That horse has bolted and I have said a few times on here understanding DC is vital, that he wouldn't be bullied, this statement really does not surprise me. Very typical of people who run their own business, in my world managing them is half the job in doing the accounts

Best he could have done this week in response whether he truly liked it or otherwise was bullet the manager that he picked as the wrong fit. Announce he is open to offers and the club is for sale to the correct bidder and that he gets the message/taking a step back or using a CEO type in the meantime. That would have got a positive reaction and acceptance change at the top takes time and needs to be right but it’s just now one big game of chicken.

Having spoken over the summer with people who’ve worked at Wednesday in the last two years things have been positive but quite ad hoc and not really being done with a proper structure in place. For example sometimes manager ends up sorting all sorts of menial procurement tasks as no one is there to do it and chairman is in Thailand. It’s not the sign of a modern and successful club with a plan or structure, just getting from one scenario to the next. Even Windass and Hunt commented on it post Wembley 

12 minutes ago, KrolMong said:

The short answer is, yes. But the price has to be attractive and there has to be the carat of making money, which can only be achieved if you get to the Premier League.

What would be a fair price for us? If I was to put a number on it, you’d probably say 25-40 million including stadium and all facilities. Now, is that what DC has paid? Nope. But what you pay, and what it is worth are two different things. I know that DC wants a lot more than what I have suggested above, and I also know that whilst there has been interest, it’s never got to the point of a proper bid.

So, are Wednesday capable of making money? The answer is yes, if someone came in, and set initial low expectations but worked on the academy and scouting simply to get us trading players we would be able to make the premier league without having to risk P&L. And remember, you only have to get there, you don’t have to stay there…

The challenge is that any owner is going to have to willingly accept that to start again might take five years. And the type of owner you will attract is not going to have that level of patience. And I can tell you know, a chunk of our fanbase wouldn’t accept it either even though it is the right thing to do.

Let’s be clear, every owner since Richard’s has had the fanbase turn on them including Milan.

It’s an interesting question that on whether any owners make money even in the PL. I suspect they can only do that if they bought at a champ price and sold early in the PL era as it takes a lot of investment at that level in the first year before TV money hits accounts and most EPL clubs are loss making too. Football is such a unique industry where is needs someone to be willing to accept losses for the buzz or ego boost of it. Or for more sinister reasons according to Man U fans.

Whilst P&S has put off many wealthy investors who can be more aggressive as DC tried to be. The other side of the coin is that perhaps you don’t need as much money any more just better ideas and targeted spending outside of P&S. as long as you can sustain 13m per annum on P&S that’s the main thing but the best clubs now seem to invest in areas we have neglected as the focus is purely on balancing the books on the pitch which at face value doesn’t sound that daft but it hasn’t got us very far. Maybe we need one or two younger players to come through and become saleable assets as we have invested a bit there, but a clear modern structure and plan is what any new owner could get an instant victory with even on reduced funds. 

In terms of asking prices and value you’re probably right but there may be a point where DC cuts losses if he’s not feeling the love 

2 hours ago, KrolMong said:

This is why the anonymity of em pisses me off. What DC has done/ threatened was inevitable. 

Got to be a reason why they're keeping quiet, either yank wanting bargain price or just some ***** trying to rock the boat and destabilise us. 

Just to add, a piggy mate of mine told me he's started following 1867...

There is an alternate way for DC to resolve this.

He simply gets the leadership teams from these protests groups together. He gives them 30 minutes to air grievances which are written down, he then responds to each grievance and suggestion with a ‘yes, we can look at that.’ Or no ‘we can’t look at that.’

The meeting is then closed, and actions are shared with a timeline shared a week or two later on what can be done. A summary is posted on the website.

DC shows he’s engaged with them. The protestors feel like they have been listened to and are clear on what is and isn’t possible. If DC reneges on any actions, he becomes accountable, and if he delivers, the groups stay quiet and focus on uniting the fanbase.

It really is as simple as that… but, the protest groups want to stay anonymous and don’t want to engage.

11 minutes ago, KrolMong said:

He simply gets the leadership teams from these protests groups together. He gives them 30 minutes to air grievances which are written down, he then responds to each grievance and suggestion with a ‘yes, we can look at that.’ Or no ‘we can’t look at that.’

The meeting is then closed, and actions are shared with a timeline shared a week or two later on what can be done. A summary is posted on the website.

DC shows he’s engaged with them. The protestors feel like they have been listened to and are clear on what is and isn’t possible. If DC reneges on any actions, he becomes accountable, and if he delivers, the groups stay quiet and focus on uniting the fanbase.

It really is as simple as that… but, the protest groups want to stay anonymous and don’t want to engage.

I honestly do not think engaging with these cowards would bring any benefit to the situation. All they want to do is cause trouble. As has been said on other threads, if we were winning games it would never have come to this 

36 minutes ago, KrolMong said:

Alternative.   (Apologies if you are American or learned your English from them.)

4 minutes ago, Winco said:

Is DC legally accountable to fund the club? I know he’s spat his dummy out big time but if he doesn’t put any money in surely the EFL will intervene?

were fucked.

Not sure how they can intervene apart from tipping him upside down and shaking the Baht out of his pockets.

1 hour ago, 80s Owl said:

That's probably all Hargreaves could carry.

He wouldn't have been there the big bald baby.

1 hour ago, Winco said:

Is DC legally accountable to fund the club? I know he’s spat his dummy out big time but if he doesn’t put any money in surely the EFL will intervene?

were fucked.

If you read his statement he says he won't put "additional" funds into the club. I took that to mean he will meet day to day running costs, but no more.

• Like 1

I’ve just read a few comments from supposed ‘supporters’ on Facebook, responding to the post from SWFC highlighting the Chairman’s statement.

Is there a club with more clueless supporters than ours? I’m loathed to have a go at supporters but fuck me it’s hard not to sometimes, as they clearly don’t realise the gravity of what could happen and are still happy to stick the boot into Chansiri.

I referenced Geoff Sheard in a post I made on social media this morning, when some muppet started talking about loads of investors being out there just ready to take DC’s place. I might as well have been talking to the wall for what good it did.

These supporters who are sticking the knife in need to be careful what they wish for, and at the same time maybe have a look at what’s happening at Scunthorpe United.

I just hope we can get a win or at least put in a good performance tonight, so that we can get back to talking about and focusing on events on the pitch, not what’s happening off it!

42 minutes ago, Otto_Man said:

He wouldn't have been there the big bald baby.

If you read his statement he says he won't put "additional" funds into the club. I took that to mean he will meet day to day running costs, but no more.

I hope you’re right, but even so it probably means we can resign ourselves to some tough times ahead. 

1 minute ago, Neville Facking Bartos said:

And who is at fault for that? Not the fans that’s for sure

I agree, there are lines that should not be crossed but people have a right to let him know they’re not happy with his stewardship.

What we won’t know is if there had not been attacks on his family etc if he’d still be behaving like a petulant child, I suspect he would 

That’s a complicated question. But the most likely answer is that we simply don’t have the income to support the level of wages needed for a Championship club. So something or someone needs to make up the difference. 
And probably best not antagonise it.

Don’t get me wrong Chansiri is also at fault here but you cannot deny that, if these empty vessels making all the noise had not waded in, this would not be happening.

9 minutes ago, Neville Facking Bartos said:

Fair response @Chelters but how do you you get a message across you’re not happy? I’ll never support withdrawing my funds as a fan, the only way I know is through vocal disapproval 

Personally I would say with someone like DC you try and engage in a considered and organised fashion.

But I realise that might not satisfy the need for some to get their point across a bit more quickly and forcefully.

I don’t mind a bit of protest but ‘Chansiri out’ has never made sense to me when he is the only source of funding.

• Like 1