A New Group of Attention Seekers

10 hours ago, SailsburyOwl said:

Looking at the backing that protest got, one could suggest that the owlsonline mob are in the minority.

Chansiri Out! 🟨

Looking at how they shut up and stopped when we scored I'd say we're exactly right.

Would be interested  to see what your proposal is other than Chansiri out. 

Who's going to buy the club, fund it to the tune of £8-10m per year just to stand still, and find another £25m per year to improve our squad.

We've got the third lowest wage bill in the division. As I said elsewhere Stoke are owned by a  family worth billions, have a wage budget of £30m (double ours)  yet have been lower half eacb season since they were relegated.  

Luton (one off few teams to get to PL that hadn't played there since parachute payments) had a wage bill of £28m to get up, so they weren't exactly a small club on that basis.

How would you attract the new buyer, who would you thinks wants to pay £200m+ over next 3-4 seasons to TRY and get to Prem, with all the  EFL restrictions. 

Cost of club/stadium. £80m

Current annual funding x4 £48m 

Ann. Increase in salaries x4 £70m

Ann. Transfer spend incl agents £60-80m

Lot of money that.

Whos gonna replaces DC and improve the club?

@SailsburyOwl

Edited by Andyben
  • Like 2

So I actually got off my arse to go to the game, well I was invited to be a padded seat wanker. 

In terms of the yellow card protest I would say it was about 50% of the crowd. So not really a minority of troublemakers and indeed talking to the other folk on my table, I would suggest whilst they would not protest the view was that they wanted Chansiri to sell up.

1 minute ago, mkowl said:

So I actually got off my arse to go to the game, well I was invited to be a padded seat wanker. 

In terms of the yellow card protest I would say it was about 50% of the crowd. So not really a minority of troublemakers and indeed talking to the other folk on my table, I would suggest whilst they would not protest the view was that they wanted Chansiri to sell up.

Looking from my seat, row 20 on Kop I would say it was fewer than 50% and a lot them around us holding them up were little kids and one person in front of us was holding 2 up. 

I did notice some torn up on Penistone Road. 

There's 6 of us sitting together and only one was holding one up and his nickname is daft lad anyway. 🤣 

I'm sure the 1867 group will claim it was a success and all 15,000 handed out was held up. 🙄 

27 minutes ago, Andyben said:

Looking at how they shut up and stopped when we scored I'd say we're exactly right.

Would be interested  to see what your proposal is other than Chansiri out. 

Who's going to buy the club, fund it to the tune of £8-10m per year just to stand still, and find another £25m per year to improve our squad.

We've got the third lowest wage bill in the division. As I said elsewhere Stoke are owned by a  family worth billions, have a wage budget of £30m (double ours)  yet have been lower half eacb season since they were relegated.  

Luton (one off few teams to get to PL that hadn't played there since parachute payments) had a wage bill of £28m to get up, so they weren't exactly a small club on that basis.

How would you attract the new buyer, who would you thinks wants to pay £200m+ over next 3-4 seasons to TRY and get to Prem, with all the  EFL restrictions. 

Cost of club/stadium. £80m

Current annual funding x4 £48m 

Ann. Increase in salaries x4 £70m

Ann. Transfer spend incl agents £60-80m

Lot of money that.

Whos gonna replaces DC and improve the club?

@SailsburyOwl

Not for the fans to find the buyer, its about the club being put up for sale for its correct market value so the club can move forward. 

While ever Chansiri is there we are only going backwards. 

Just now, OwlMR said:

Not for the fans to find the buyer, its about the club being put up for sale for its correct market value so the club can move forward. 

While ever Chansiri is there we are only going backwards. 

Doesn't merit a response other than 😂

The average fan won’t know if/who is interested in buying clubs and I agree there has always needed to be an element of caution as the market has been stifled by P&S whereby potential buyers wanting to come in aggressively and spend to the PL will have been put off. As seen at derby there are a lot of tyre kickers around too. 

DC may have already changed his ways to some degree with rohl and buying players who are younger and can be sold on which is the only way any club without parachute cash can progesss. But the way the set up is not resilient to short term impacts such as a manager or recruiter leaving. The teams who have thrived without just being spenders have invested a lot in the club infrastructure and applied a science to the situation and that’s what Wednesday need. 

Looking at Huddersfield, Birmingham, Burnley, Everton in recent years that moneyball approach is appealing to the US and if taking a wild guess and notwithstanding the Adam Shaw interest that’s probably where most interest in a club for sale would come from now. Whether they are any better or reliable is anyone’s guess and it could get worse if it wasn’t the right person but if fans see the future of SWFC under Chansiri as being a L1/champ yo yo team that might get to mid table if lucky (basically worse then when he arrived) then it will tip the balance away from the caution of what might happen if he leaves. We’ve had plenty of chairmen, owners with no money and L1 was the low point even then.

18 minutes ago, holmesfield_owl said:

Zoom in on photos, it's about 25%, looks more because of the bright yellow from distance.

Might be the case but 25% is still significant and there was no audible protest against the protest 

19 minutes ago, holmesfield_owl said:

And that response is why the pointless protest group has no credibility. No alternative plan, just sell up, like it's that easy 🤣

What do you do then just sit back and let him carry on? 

Fair play to people making their voices heard and letting him know its time for him to put the club up for sale at a reasonable price. Rather than us continue being the circus that we are.

Just now, OwlMR said:

What do you do then just sit back and let him carry on? 

Fair play to people making their voices heard and letting him know its time for him to put the club up for sale at a reasonable price. Rather than us continue being the circus that we are.

What's a reasonable price 

Well, this protest could be said to have been a ‘success’ more than the last few attempts. 
As been mentioned already, results will always alter the mood and recent weeks of course have been less than impressive in that sense. The transfer window activity, is obviously something that upset many too. (Although last nights game may have changed that a little).

Fwiw I do think last nights ‘display’, struck a balance more than before in that the people involved didn’t break up the game, and the people who I saw handing out the flyers were relatively respectful with it. Take one if you want, don’t if you don’t, something they’ve done this week on social media too. Which hasn’t really been the case before, and the divide and conquer approach that alienated so many from even just listening to the group seems to have been watered down. 

I do think if we stay up, things will change in the summer. Just a feeling I have. 

Just now, Andyben said:

What's a reasonable price 

Probably around 50m if West Brom is going for 60m.

Why do you continue back him if wanting change is so laughable? Happy with the way things are going? 

1 minute ago, HoylandOwl said:

Fwiw I do think last nights ‘display’, struck a balance more than before in that the people involved didn’t break up the game,

Terry. The atmosphere was absolutely shit post kick off until we scored. Utterly out sung by Brum why do you think that it?

6 minutes ago, OwlMR said:

Probably around 50m if West Brom is going for 60m.

Why do you continue back him if wanting change is so laughable? Happy with the way things are going? 

Is it just £60m for West Brom?  What about the external debt owed to MSD which is in default?

How much will it cost to make us a decent championship team over next few seasons? 

What about for a play off push or promotion?

How do you fund that with the EFL restrictions?

There's a massive difference between wanting a change on the field and thinking DC out is the answer.

Edited by Andyben
  • Like 2

The cards were held up until Hi Ho started, then folk realised you couldn't hold up a card and clap along. 

And I didn't see any other display attempted during the game.

Whether you agree or not, most fans simply want a club that is well run and the owner is appreciative of our contribution rather than mocking it

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Andyben said:

Is it just £60m for West Brom? 

How much will it cost to make us a decent championship team over next few seasons? 

What about for a play off push or promotion?

How do you fund that with the EFL restrictions?

There's a massive difference between wanting a change on the field and thinking DC out is the answer.

Shows there are people out there, three interested parties in West Brom.

It's wanting both, while ever DC is in charge there will be no change on the field hes no long got the funds to support that. This season is an absolute shit show, the summer window was and January wasn't much better. We are going backwards fast becoming a yoyo side between champ and L1

Edited by OwlMR

4 minutes ago, mkowl said:

The cards were held up until Hi Ho started, then folk realised you couldn't hold up a card and clap along. 

And I didn't see any other display attempted during the game.

Whether you agree or not, most fans simply want a club that is well run and the owner is appreciative of our contribution rather than mocking it

Exactly this and people claiming the protest effect the performance etc are talking bollocks. 

If we stay up it will be huge for the club and our short term future.

The protest was fine last night - but ultimately we need to be sold for their demands to be achieved. 

Those who are not pro Chansiri or anti Chansiri appreciate this fact and the realities of this fact - I find a real mix in the anti Chansiri mob, openly racist, nationalistic, ignorant of the history of the last 9 years and then they are some who expectations of success are measured. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, OwlMR said:

Shows there are people out there, three interested parties in West Brom.

It's wanting both, while ever DC is in charge there will be no change on the field hes no long got the funds to support that. This season is an absolute shit show, the summer window was and January wasn't much better. We are going backwards fast becoming a yoyo side between champ and L1

Lao hasn't out a penny in since he bought the club in 2016.

The auditors say that without further player sales the club is insolvent.

It has a loan due to MSD of £20m accruing interest at 15%pa.

So this isn't a reasonable comparison to swfc.

Its like trying to buy my house based on the price of a smaller house in worse area that's been repossessed by the bank.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, OwlMR said:

If DC didn't have the funds to support the club we would be insolvent.

Did you not notice who scored last night and who were the best three players on our team?

Edited by Andyben
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, holmesfield_owl said:

You have zero knowledge of what available money DC does or doesn't have. It's the lies disguised as facts I keep seeing that I'm finding hard to swallow.

The fact we've barely paid a fee over the last 4 season and have one of the lowest wage bills in the league tells you everything you need to know surely? 

No issues with how the protesters conducted themselves and yes it had a visual impact on the TV I suppose. That said when I entered the South when the display was likely at it's peak just before kick off, those partaking looked to be somewhat sheepish as they quietly held their leaflets in front of them without a peep in the main. 

The last two results and a perceived poor window gave the movement traction. Last night's performances hinted that the transfer business might prove to be more shrewd than some would have it though. I'll discount the Coventry result given the resting of players for last night. Last night people with a propensity to follow; followed. Many are just as likely to drift back into their usual state if an upswing in results materialises.

Edited by Teddy Nickelarse

9 minutes ago, Andyben said:

If DC didn't have the funds to support the club we would be insolvent.

Did you not notice who scored last night and who were the best three players on our team?

Never said he doesn't have the funds to support the club said he doesn't have the funds to take us forward or a plan for that matter

I did yes, a striker Cardiff didn't want, a winger that can't get near Leeds squad and an up and coming young keeper. All loan players that we most likely won't have next season, your point is?

When we once again have to try and sign 10 players to have a squad due to no long term planning.

Edited by OwlMR
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, mkowl said:

the owner is appreciative of our contribution rather than mocking it

This is the real reason behind the protests. Everything else is incidental and why the two groups will never understand each other.

Some people see themselves as spectators who have little to no bearing on what happens on the pitch.

Some see themselves as a vital part of our successes.

It's why tv stuff like strictly and BHT are so popular. Because people think that they're helping their favourite win. They're part of the show. That their vote has helped Dave or whoever win the competition. It's why they all do that heart hand thingy, why they all say the fans, blah, blah, blah. The dancing or the show is incidental, it's the voting and fan involvement that drives the popularity these shows.

Because it gets people invested and gives them a connection. Psychologists say, the best way to get someone to like you is to be indebted to the or get them to help you.

People are tribal by nature.

Everyone wants to be part of something bigger than themselves. It can be religion, a nation, a protest movement, a football team. They also want to contribute to this thing in whatever way they can.

With football, you can't get on the pitch ro help, so what can you do? You show up, you sing, you cheer, because that's all you can do. But you're helping, the famous 12th man.

So when Chansiri says that you don't matter, it breaks this illusion that you're part of the team, the 12th man.

They don't want another owner to propel the club into Europe, they just want the owner to put his arm around them, tell them they're loved, they contribute and that they're important. That's it.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, OwlMR said:

Never said he doesn't have the funds to support the club said he doesn't have the funds to take us forward. 

I did yes, a striker Cardiff didn't want, a winger that can't get near Leeds squad and an up and coming young keeper. All loan players that we most likely won't have next season, your point is?

When we once again have to try and sign 10 players to have a squad due to no long term planning.

Wouldn't  be at all surprised if two of that trio are made permanent. Only time will tell. Whatever the status is at their parent clubs they do look to be shrewd additions to our cause though.

I'm not sure what your point is. @OwlMR

Do you think any of those cost us money? Mowbray wanted Poveda wbo's on a free in summer. Are you saying Ugbo and Beadle have made us worse?

Do you think DC should break FFP to buy players and pay daft wages so we get another, bigger points deduction, because it looks like you're saying he should repeat the mistakes of 2018-2020 which will out us on the brink.

Isn't it better to spend on getting quality younger players to improve us and have some resale value?

Or shall we go for Steve Bruce and Jordan Rhodes type set up becuse it's brilliant we paid £10m fr a player.

You really haven't thought this through have you.

Edited by Andyben
  • Like 5

Just now, OwlMR said:

Never said he doesn't have the funds to support the club said he doesn't have the funds to take us forward. 

And there you go! Your expectation of the owner is spend big if not go!

Loan players make more financial sense for a club teetering on the edge!

We have a few out contract that allows a rebuild and restructure on relegation. 

Ugbo, the striker we signed right at the start of window and then complained we had done bothering despite also securing a keeper right at the front!

In one the slowest window yet seen where clubs are looking at FFP RULES and hunkering down?

Ugbo as gone to club where we have 3 fellow French players in making him probably a far happier player. Our head of recruitment knew him from his Cardiff days. 

The player we went to get was a long term investment from Orlando not an immediate fix.

We’ve signed 3 players this year who could allow us to cash in for a few million.  The first half the year two those players were deemed awful by the anti Chansiri mob.

We are slowly adjusting things do not happen overnight unless bought by a Saudi esk cash - and even then the rules mean it could be  boom and bust again if your not lucky. 

• Like 2

The money point. Yes football is expensive yet people still get involved. Chansiri has thrown loads at this and fair play to him for that. I don’t think we’d replace that. But most people just have concerns that despite this he’s not got it right and has done such a poor job. Clubs with issues of their own or worse/comparable budgets have outperformed him. If there was a clearer way forward (rohl and a recruitment strategy already being visible) then I think a lot of the heat would die off. But his blanket statements on the club website and in the press about tax or Carlton palmer or whatever takes his fancy has shown exactly what he thinks of the support and their place and that has done him no favours. It’s an insight to the man himself and his mindset and it doesn’t indicate much stability.

Coupled with other odd business decisions are there many signs of a plan and mindset from the leader of the club that results in a positive future? What is a positive future as the definition of that varies from supporter to supporter. I’d like to think it could be resolved but I’m not convinced, it will bubble up and down from here until an ultimate end for good or bad.

@OwlMR do you know why West Brom are cheap.

They're fucked.

Lower gate receipts and commercial income than us but a wage bill 3x higher and no more parachute payments, plus the MSD debt closer to £30m now and repayable within a year.

So it may be £50/60m to buy them but you're gonna need £30-40m per year just not to go bust.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Andyben said:

I'm not sure what your point is. @OwlMR

Do you think any of those cost us money? Mowbray wanted Poveda wbo's on a free in summer. Are you saying Ugbo and Beadle have made us worse?

Do you think DC should break FFP to buy players and pay daft wages so we get another, bigger points deduction, because it looks like you're saying he should repeat the mistakes of 2018-2020 which will out us on the brink.

Isn't it better to spend on getting quality younger players to improve us and have some resale value?

Or shall we go for Steve Bruce and Jordan Rhodes type set up becuse it's brilliant we paid £10m fr a player.

You really haven't thought this through have you.

Weve around £10m leeway with ffp as it stands so don't think thats in the question. 

They will have cost us a minimal amount yes some probably could have been covered by the wages saved on Gregory if he'd let him leave on loan. Which at 36 and helping us for 2 years and not in the managers plans he should have, but that's not him.

It's better to get young players to improve just we haven't really done that other than maybe one and we've given him a one year deal with no extension clause.

I've thought it through if your happy being a yoyo club between the second and third tier so be it but others want different. 

Were you not concerned when you got your hand written receipt for your season ticket you had to pay in  cash? 

2 minutes ago, Andyben said:

@OwlMR do you know why West Brom are cheap.

They're fucked.

Lower gate receipts and commercial income than us but a wage bill 3x higher and no more parachute payments, plus the MSD debt closer to £30m now and repayable within a year.

So it may be £50/60m to buy them but you're gonna need £30-40m per year just not to go bust.

They arent cheap thats pretty much the going rate look at other recent sales. 

Can tell you don't like a different opinion, if you're happy going backwards so be it but many aren't.

25 minutes ago, holmesfield_owl said:

You have zero knowledge of what available money DC does or doesn't have. It's the lies disguised as facts I keep seeing that I'm finding hard to swallow.

Like the lie stating that Chansiri turned the scoreboard off as his own protest. Problem is some people are just thick as mince 

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, TheExile said:

The money point. Yes football is expensive yet people still get involved. Chansiri has thrown loads at this and fair play to him for that. I don’t think we’d replace that. But most people just have concerns that despite this he’s not got it right and has done such a poor job. Clubs with issues of their own or worse/comparable budgets have outperformed him. If there was a clearer way forward (rohl and a recruitment strategy already being visible) then I think a lot of the heat would die off. But his blanket statements on the club website and in the press about tax or Carlton palmer or whatever takes his fancy has shown exactly what he thinks of the support and their place and that has done him no favours. It’s an insight to the man himself and his mindset and it doesn’t indicate much stability.

Coupled with other odd business decisions are there many signs of a plan and mindset from the leader of the club that results in a positive future? What is a positive future as the definition of that varies from supporter to supporter. I’d like to think it could be resolved but I’m not convinced, it will bubble up and down from here until an ultimate end for good or bad.

Yes DC's thin skin and ill advised media incursions are manifest but for me there are hints of change:

The refusal to accede to Moore's wage expectations 

The switch to a more youthful recruitment policy with potential re-sale value and sustainability 

The recruitment of a young, bright and engaging manager and investment in his back up team

Ostensibly shrewd recent transfer window despite way OTT flak from the Chansiri out at all cost factions.

There'll be ups and downs ahead, reactions and overreactions but personally I detect the beginnings of an upwards trend potentially. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, BraddersTim said:

Geoff has outed himself as one of the 3 people originally behind the protest group. Which does explain his sensitivity about it & his recent posts.

They are all scrambling for credit now.

4 minutes ago, OwlMR said:

Weve around £10m leeway with ffp as it stands so don't think thats in the question. 

They will have cost us a minimal amount yes some probably could have been covered by the wages saved on Gregory if he'd let him leave on loan. Which at 36 and helping us for 2 years and not in the managers plans he should have, but that's not him.

It's better to get young players to improve just we haven't really done that other than maybe one and we've given him a one year deal with no extension clause.

I've thought it through if your happy being a yoyo club between the second and third tier so be it but others want different. 

Were you not concerned when you got your hand written receipt for your season ticket you had to pay in  cash? 

Where are we getting this 10m leeway from?

The last numbers we have are 2022 at 12.5ish million for the club.

We then added a number of expensive additions to this, Smith, Ihiekwe etc.

Then at the end of last season, we got rid of all the cheap players and kept the expensive ones.

So we have a decent chunk of money there, with promotion rises on top.

Then, because of the state we were in when DM left, we had 2 weeks to recruit and were bottom favourites.

Every single player we have we will have overpaid for. Every single one.

If we gave Gregory, basically a sub last season, the rumoured 12k, what the hell are the rest on?

I'd say we are a lot closer than anyone realises.

10 minutes ago, EBRA said:

And there you go! Your expectation of the owner is spend big if not go!

Loan players make more financial sense for a club teetering on the edge!

We have a few out contract that allows a rebuild and restructure on relegation. 

Ugbo, the striker we signed right at the start of window and then complained we had done bothering despite also securing a keeper right at the front!

In one the slowest window yet seen where clubs are looking at FFP RULES and hunkering down?

Ugbo as gone to club where we have 3 fellow French players in making him probably a far happier player. Our head of recruitment knew him from his Cardiff days. 

The player we went to get was a long term investment from Orlando not an immediate fix.

We’ve signed 3 players this year who could allow us to cash in for a few million.  The first half the year two those players were deemed awful by the anti Chansiri mob.

We are slowly adjusting things do not happen overnight unless bought by a Saudi esk cash - and even then the rules mean it could be  boom and bust again if your not lucky. 

Don't expect to spend big expect to build year on year like we were before he came in.

We always have a few out of contract we have a rebuild every summer there's no long term plan at all. 

As for the Orlando player, we were never really in the running for him, if we were there would have been other strikers on our radar but we ended with a left back and winger. Surprising how it was the same day season tickets went on sale. 

I cant see how we are changing things. 

28 minutes ago, OwlMR said:

Never said he doesn't have the funds to support the club said he doesn't have the funds to take us forward or a plan for that matter

Mo Salah and Kevin De Bruyne are players Chelsea didn't want...

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Andyben said:

Terry. The atmosphere was absolutely shit post kick off until we scored. Utterly out sung by Brum why do you think that it?

Our atmosphere at home hasn’t been great for a while though tbh. 
Not at least until the game has got going anyway.