Club statement

Might just be me, but statement seems very carefully put together with a general undertone that DM was trying to be greedy or that he's been influenced by his agent.

Chansiri will always look after the club and his investment which makes sense but the 'are you sure' and 'rethink very carefully' in particular looks more like saving face.

I could of course be completely wrong and talking utter tosh

See if DM comes out with his own thoughts 

So you can't blame him or his agent trying for a pay rise - I mean we have no idea what the existing salary was and whether this would have taken Moore on parity with other Championship managers (ex parachute payment clubs) 

So as I read it, they didn't ever really discuss the backroom staff because they were miles apart on his contract 

"People who do not have the correct information are saying things completely wrong in the media."

Dig at Carlton Palmer? He's been shooting his mouth off on TalkSport, GB News, and anywhere else that will have him about he's talked to Moore and knows the 'truth'. 

6 minutes ago, Tylluan said:

"People who do not have the correct information are saying things completely wrong in the media."

Dig at Carlton Palmer? He's been shooting his mouth off on TalkSport, GB News, and anywhere else that will have him about he's talked to Moore and knows the 'truth'. 

He  really does give idiots a bad name

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mark said:

Who on earth is going 2 pay him four times his current salary. He was one game away from sack! 

I can understand him wanting a rise but four times over 3 years!!!

Maybe DC is learning.....

That’s not how I read it.

Assuming he was on a one year rolling contract, he wanted a 33% increase and a three year contract, I.e. 4 years current pay over three years.

There’s nothing about what DC offered, if anything, or would have settled at. He put the onus on DM to propose something lower, something DC could accept.

1 hour ago, Tylluan said:

I've got tins of corned beef with more intelligence than old Carlton.

50 minutes ago, M42Owl said:

That’s not how I read it.

Assuming he was on a one year rolling contract, he wanted a 33% increase and a three year contract, I.e. 4 years current pay over three years.

There’s nothing about what DC offered, if anything, or would have settled at. He put the onus on DM to propose something lower, something DC could accept.

I read it very different ie 4 times my current salary and a 3 year contract. Though the misnomer is that when a manager gets sacked they get the full amount left. Depends on the severance package in the Ts and Cs. But then I suspect most managers negotiate unfair dismissal top up. 

2 hours ago, Reesh said:

Tank agrees with the appointment of Nigel Worthington 

How did you know 😂

I kind of agree re not paying DM 4x if true. I say only kind of bc 1) DC will end up paying somebody close to what DM wanted anyway just bc we are now in the Championship and the likes of Smith etc won’t come on the cheap and 2) but looking at it if DC tries to go on the cheap, ie bring some nobody from Europe that doesn’t know the league or the players, DC and we will end up costing us more than giving DM a shot.

A 3 year contract if true was unrealistic, should have just as for a pay increase.

32 minutes ago, mkowlthesexynewversion said:

I read it very different ie 4 times my current salary and a 3 year contract. Though the misnomer is that when a manager gets sacked they get the full amount left. Depends on the severance package in the Ts and Cs. But then I suspect most managers negotiate unfair dismissal top up. 

I’ve read it again, and you may be right. I’m probably giving DM some credit by, wrongly, assuming that he’s not a greedy twat. An increase on promotion (even if it was almost thrown away) and / or a longer deal is understandable, but 300% increase is indefensible. Unbelievable even.

Obviously DMs agent at work here.  You have just got promoted and potentially Leeds, West Brom, Swansea etc interested and just give me 20%.

From a negotiation standpoint start high but not 4x.  Did DMs salary reduce on relegation ??

All will be OK though as Carlton knows the score and is going to release a statement on behalf of DM.

1 hour ago, mkowlthesexynewversion said:

I read it the same as you and also noted the use of the word minimum...

"I cannot offer a minimum of four times your current salary on a three-year contract"

1 hour ago, mkowlthesexynewversion said:

That's how I read it. The severance package would have been interesting......

1 hour ago, Tank_Owl2,0 said:

How did you know 😂

I kind of agree re not paying DM 4x if true. I say only kind of bc 1) DC will end up paying somebody close to what DM wanted anyway just bc we are now in the Championship and the likes of Smith etc won’t come on the cheap and 2) but looking at it if DC tries to go on the cheap, ie bring some nobody from Europe that doesn’t know the league or the players, DC and we will end up costing us more than giving DM a shot.

A 3 year contract if true was unrealistic, should have just as for a pay increase.

I suspect it might have boiled down to fact DC didn't trust Moore 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Supercockle said:

Glad he made the statement. Should shut a few up for a couple of days. I like DC  

I wonder if the comment on wage structure means we won’t be able to afford Smith and some of the others being touted? 

I think there is a difference in offering a proven manager at this level that type of salary, compared to one that isn't. 

So not sure it determines the budget available.

More prudent 

• Like 2

We all had doubts on Moore. 

He was a few minutes indeed seconds short of probably getting the sack this season. 

If I was Moore I’d want that security of a pay off equated over a 3 year contract if we were languishing lower mid by October with lots of fans berating DC for sticking with him .

Moore stock is high! DC always said some would agree some wouldn’t with the decision.

But what strikes me - it’s the same characters who berate the chairman.

They came for him when Pulis was sacked - DC fault - eventually Pulis admit wasn’t quite true

They came for him when the playboy with plane was the best thing since slice bread - turned out the chancer had no cash and crashes Derby almost.

26 minutes ago, Tank_Owl2,0 said:

On reflection I think DC should have said nowt and jus gone on with appointing a new manager, ie rise above it because in 3 months time we will have moved on.

Respectfully disagree, it was becoming "a thing" and we need to collectively move forward. This allows us to do so.

The truth will set you free and all that.

The takeaways are clear.

Moore is on a rolling yearly contract, both his and his staff contract was up for renewal. He asked for a salary increase 4 times his current salary. DC made a counter offer which Moore did not accept. Moore wanted his current staff to stay on, even if he went. DC would not accept.

So, the questions are;

1. What salary was Moore on when we brought him in?

2. Did he take a cut due to relegation? 

3. What does 4x actually look like? Would it make him a high earner in the Championship?

My own thoughts are…

- Moore was indeed sacked. DC repeatedly said the mutual consent was to ‘help’ him.

- DC did not think Moore was worth the money he wanted, regardless of what the 4x salary increase is worth.

- DC does not rate the coaching staff apart from Basso.

- DC will the only ever offer incentive based rolling contracts. Great for us, but will put a lot of managers off.

- The statement is very much a barbed attack on Moore and his conduct. Whether Moore responds or not is up to him. But, he could really destroy DC if there are any Inaccuracies in what was said. Especially around the numbers.

- They met on the 25th, did Moore give his blessing on this statement?

Whilst I admire the sentiment, I just think it’s not been thought through. Moore hasn’t aired any dirty laundry, it’s the media and certain ex pros that have reported things.

We are looking for a manager right now, would this put you off giving the volatility of the message? This will shorten the list. If Moore had come out and complained at his treatment - and was critical of the owner, I’d understand this. He didn’t.

As a side note, if Moore is demanding silly money, that’s also daft. He got sacked at West Brom, and we went down with him as manager. He’s not proved himself in the second division and if it was 750k a year for Moore, or 750k a year for Smith. I know what I would spend that money on.

I mean it was a laugh perusing Stalk, last week there was uproar that the reasons for his departure were not being disclosed.

Cue disclosure of the reasons, then the same voices expressing "concern" that the Club is airing its laundry in public.

Moore may be staying quiet, but there are ways of getting a message out. I blame Vardys wife obvs. 

The crux is football at this level is all about money. Once you accept this you can dismiss all the shite football people talk, the badge clutching, the false platitudes that the fans readily pull down their trousers and bend over backwards to accommodate.

The likes of Liam Palmer may genuinely be fans as well as players, the others may enjoy it at the club, they find a home but would be off in a shot for a few dollars more.

The average tenure of a Championship manager is summat daft like 15 months, so I doubt any will be put off applying. Because you need to keep managing, the chance of you building a dynasty club are remote. I don't blame Moore, he was looking to make hay in a potential brief summer 

To add does anyone actually think that when Steve Bruce was here, he was paid peanuts (or cabbages). DC laid out the red carpet and his loyalty was repaid by him fucking off to Geordieland. 

I know we got compensation in that case, but that will have had an impact on DCs thinking.

On the playing side we all take the piss out of Almen Abdi, but can you imagine how it feels shelling out 4m plus wages to get zero return. And at the same time you paid for Jordan Rhodes to pull up at best a bonsai tree. 

People suggest DC does not understand football in this country. I actually think he now does and runs the club accordingly

• Like 1

Plenty of sense being spoken on this thread IMO.

‘We’ shouldn’t or DC shouldn’t have to feel like he’s got to come out and make such a statement. But, that’s symptomatic of the situation he’s created, and I’m not talking about JUST the DM situation either.

Without the seeming reputation that has now stuck to him, he wouldn’t have had to. Players, ‘fans’, whoever have a pop, constantly about him and the club and its created a media frenzy whenever he does anything.

Granted, football is a lot like that, it’s a media scrum, the cockwaving of being first to get things out etc (Yes, I’ve been party to that in the distant past and had my fingers burned, so I do understand the irony but it doesn’t do anyone good, and I’m glad I can’t be arsed with that anymore!)

The game has been pushed into a place where if you follow the narrative, we apparently ‘want’ to know everything before it happens, nevermind when it’s actually become true, and we get stuck in this echo chamber of speculation, sensationalism and quite often, crap. 

Of course I want our club to be successful, of course I want our club to thrive off the pitch too. But my god, do I want the football to start because then I can just watch the game I fell in love with again because this off pitch stuff feels like a merry go round that’s going faster and we can’t find the brakes.

• Like 3