NON Wednesday transfer thread 23/24

Dane Scarlett is a book balance loan. He's just signed a 4 year contract on £20k a week but Spurs are still chasing Brennan Johnson so Scarlett gets shipped out to someone who can afford him. 

Scarlett will find himself doing a George Hirst and going out on loan for quite a lot of the next 4 years

The pigs have managed to get James Mcatee from City on loan. I’ve taken a look at the business they have done, like us, lot of risks from abroad. But, I do think they will be well set next season. Some pretty smart recruitment in some of the league players they have brought in on a net spend of about 40 million.

20 minutes ago, Hirstys 12th Pint said:

I know we have mentioned him a lot but would Ladapo be a decent option for us if his game time will be limited ?

Ladapo appears to be 3rd/4th choice as Ipswich have gone 4-2-3-1 with Hirst or Jackson as the loan striker. So far he's had around 15 mins per league game. He's started in the cup games as a central in a front 3. 

If we were insisting on playing a lone forward to hustle and bustle then Ladapo isn't the one. Play him off the defenders shoulder and he'd do a job. 

5 hours ago, Bellsview said:

Scousers turn down £150 million bid for Salah from Al-Ittihad.

They’re expected to come back with a bid of up to £200 million as there’s 7 days until the Saudi transfer window closes.

Nailed on he will go the bin dippers can’t turn that kind of cash down.

7 hours ago, HoylandOwl said:

If they turn down £200m then they're bonkers. 

Why’s that?

Before commenting further, I’ll add the caveat that I don’t follow the detail of the goings on in the EPL, only to the extent that you can’t get away from it. So I don’t know what other business Liverpool have done this summer.

Having lost Mane last summer, they then failed to qualify for Champs league. How much has that cost them? I don’t really know, but if finishing bottom of EPL get £100m, I suspect that the difference between fifth and fourth, and missing out on Champs league, is seriously big money.

This summer, they’ve already lost Firmino. Have they replaced him? If they lose Salah now, what does that do to their chances of a top four finish? What good is £200m in your pocket if you can’t spend it for four months?

By January, without Salah, they may well be too far adrift to make it into the top four again. Surely they’re better keeping him, get a few goals and points, then sell in January (even if less than £200m) and get an immediate replacement.

Of course, I hope they do sell, because it’ll likely be bad for them, but the sensible decision would be to hang on, for now. It’s a similar debate, but with much bigger numbers, that we have with “should we cash in on Windass?”, but “he’ll keep/get us up, so the value is in keeping him”.

Fletcher signing might have something to do with this. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66728729

Wrexham 'bought' Luke Armstrong from Harrogate for £500k but failed to get the paperwork done in time so had to send him back to Harrogate. Trouble is Harrogate had already spent £200k on Armstrong's replacement, Josh March from Stevenage, and also signed Sivi on loan from Boro. They could now be in danger of breaching SCMP due to Armstrong being their highest paid player and having to go back to those wages

7 minutes ago, Canterburyowl said:

Sam Clucas to Rotherham

Been signed as cover for Shane Ferguson who's having to go back under the knife for his 3rd groin surgery and is likely to be out until around February time. 

Clucas isn't exactly fighting fit either. He's not played that much over the past two seasons having had surgeries on his back and both knees. His injury record is the reason Stoke released him and no one else picked him up before Rotherham 

12 hours ago, Tylluan said:

Been signed as cover for Shane Ferguson who's having to go back under the knife for his 3rd groin surgery and is likely to be out until around February time. 

Clucas isn't exactly fighting fit either. He's not played that much over the past two seasons having had surgeries on his back and both knees. His injury record is the reason Stoke released him and no one else picked him up before Rotherham 

Surprised we missed him with that record 

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...