Tractor shaggers match thread

Reesh

44 minutes ago, Winco said:

The worldie free kick proper gave  them

a kick up arse if only smith didn’t have a touch like a rapist be game over.

but overall thought the bullied is a bit second half we just lost our mojo.

Said it before but he should've taken it first time, why he felt he needed to try & round the keeper I'll never know, keeper was off his line a fair bit as well.

52 minutes ago, Winco said:

The worldie free kick proper gave  them

a kick up arse if only smith didn’t have a touch like a rapist be game over.

but overall thought the bullied is a bit second half we just lost our mojo.

Smith is a strange player when he takes a penalty I’m hoping that he heads it 🙌🙌🙌

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, HoylandOwl said:

Overall, it's a great point. We all would have taken a draw beforehand. 

It's just a 2-0 lead is disappointing to throw away. Especially as it looked like we'd put out their fire and they were well and truly deflated. But, a fantastic free kick revived them. 

When it went 2-2 it looked like they'd run away with it and to say we probably only went in their half about twice for what seemed like an age after their equaliser, it seemed like the inevitable would happen. But, credit where it's due. The resilience and shape we held under considerable pressure, was terrific. So much so that in the end we seemed to have a little bit more left and maybe could have nicked it. 

4 points from Plymouth and Ipswich, and still 6 points clear of 3rd place. Not much to moan about really is there.

That's absolutely fair, although I thought we were really poor 2nd half. Yes a lot of that was down to them, but our ball retention was abysmal but that famous saying we'd have lost that season is probably true. 

We really lack pace 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HappyOwl said:

They are obviously happier than us but they shouldn’t be it’s enough for us not them end of.

On to Tuesday night play like that and we leather morecambe 

Plymouth away at Oxford not easy

Come on Wednesday let’s do it 🙌🙌🙌 

They had to win that game. 

We now remain 6 points ahead, win our game in hand, it's 9.

I cannot see this Sheffield Wednesday side in this division throwing a 9 point gap away. They'll have to win every game as there's no way we'll lose the games required for them to catch us. I cannot see us losing 3 games in the run in unless we have a major injury crisis.

Edited by Kiwi Owl
  • Like 1

I didnt go, didnt listen to it or watch it.

However, just watched the Sky highlights.

What a save with his feet from Dawson. Some may say hes got popadom wrists but you cant say that about his feet from what I just saw. It would be interesting to know what they gave the pen for. If it was so bad why was a card not shown. Lets also bear in mind it was given by a lino at the other side of the pitch with probably a good few players and yards between him and the alleged offence. Dodgey lino decisions, nah not against us.

Great header from Smith and good finish from Byers. The Smith miss isnt in the highlights so I cant pass comment on that but sound like it could have really made it difficult for them if it had gone to 0-3.

Good free kick for their first. Odd one for their 2nd. Should Byers have tried to head it, yes I guess so but probably meant Dawson would have no chance. Not easy to tell from the angle.

Anyway, I didnt have the roller coaster of emotions, so Im satisfied with a point, so long as we see off Morecombe on Tuesday. Its a bit worrying though we lost 4 players without kicking a ball - so to speak.  

Edited by Tank_Owl2,0

3 hours ago, M42Owl said:

Considering Derby’s loss, a draw is a decent result. 

Still effectively 9 points above play offs and a difficult game chalked off.

Just need to be on our game for the two home games. 

Just hopefully need to have a better / bigger squad available for this solid run of games coming up. We were very short of quality / experience on the bench today, obviously.  That could even up our quality advantage against lower quality teams who can bring on fresh & strong subs where we can't. 🤞

After a high quality first 40 mins from us - their penalty against the run of play - the 2nd half was in contrast a nightmare to watch.  So many of our top players seemed to go to pieces, with our clearances going either straight to Ipswich or straight up in the air.  Thankfully the later stages brought some relief as the same players seemed to find their composure again.  That five minute spell in their box late on seemed to calm us down.  

I have to say that our vocal support was tremendous today.  (As was theirs from their first goal onwards.)  Quite an atmosphere!  

Just in passing, after some beer the nosh in the ground went down extremely well.  Chicken & ham pie washed down with a very hot Bovril all went down deliciously!   

3 hours ago, TheExile said:

What an up and down day. Felt like a dream at 2-0 but felt certain they’d beat us at 2-2. Nothing more than a win would do for them so job done.

I just hope squad depth and injuries don’t disrupt the run in now 

Agree with the 2-2 feeling.  Seeing them bring Ladapo, etc, on against a tiring defence - with Iorfa struggling with a leg problem - there seemed every prospect of us conceding more goals.  Kudos to our men for somehow toughing it out.  After the 2nd half one way show, that now feels like a very positive result.

• Like 1

Watched the game on iFollow as overseas at the minute. Can’t really find it in me to join in with ‘Yeah, happy with the point ‘ sentiment.

We dropped two points in a key match through some bad decision making & carelessness.

You have to give credit Ipswich, they’ve been top 3 all season & have some quality in their side, but at 2-0 then as already mentioned, the touch of a rapist from Smith. He should have finished that and in turn finished the match. We’re a title chasing team, so need to start thinking like one as fans. This could count later in the season. Another point on Smiths touch, while his header was superb, from a beauty of a cross, he played some awful passes including a hospital ball to Bannan who was rightly furious after. 

The old cliche of goals changing games applied today, their first came at a decent time for them & they carried on where they left off. After that we saw that they are also a good side and they went for it. Although the commentary on radio Sheff (largely awful btw) was suggesting we were a ‘boxer on the ropes’ where’s I thought we just absorbed their pressure. 

We still could’ve nicked it when flint grazed the bar. 

A decent point, would’ve taken it before the match but we need to be more ruthless. I hope the lack of January business doesn’t bite later, the squad looks a bit thin, 

Smith's miss was clearly a factor, but I think Dawson's penalty save an even bigger one.

If we had gone 1 down in that game then I think we would have lost.

Owling makes a good point, one I have raised at other times this season, that when we are put under sustained pressure, we look unable to stop it. The irony was that their substitutions stopped their momentum and we got hold of the ball once more 

Without it Byers, Vaulks and Bannan were simply chasing shadows.

Like many I suspect, the commentary was the Ipswich feed. Entertaining in a different way but the one sensible observation is how they stopped Smith being as effective - dropping a midfielder in there.

The criticism of Moore is that he does not respond quickly to these in game switches. Tbf the lack of options on the bench was a limiting factor.

Game of two halves.

First half, in complete control, the midfield three ran the show, Windass and Smith caused problems with their movement, it was really easy to find them. And the high press was effective.

The penalty, I still can’t work out properly what it was for. 

The miss from Smith was pivotal, the crowd had gone and had we gone 3-up, it is game over.

Ultimately though, it was story of two free kicks, one very good one, and then a big deflection on the second which led to them throwing kitchen sink at us. But… I don’t remember them creating a good chance. Dawson had two routine saves to make, and they just kept throwing forwards on. The best chance of the half was the Flint miss, and the last 10-15 minutes we got control of the territory and did pin them in.

Some good displays. The back three again were excellent. Vaulks, again, excellent, Dawson was very good. I thought Smith had a good game. However, I don’t think the wing backs offered enough, I thought Byers had his worst game for a long while.

My major frustration was just over the number of silly free kicks we have away. Especially in the second half.

Ipswich are a good side with the ball, best I’ve seen this season, so I was pleased with a point in the end, but a little annoyed we didn’t go 3-up, and really kill them off. But I’d have taken a point at kick off, and being quite honest, we comfortably achieved it.

12 hours ago, MAL said:

What do you think they will "choose" to do?

Well a decision was made in game, the one official camera its not clear what happened. Clearly the crowd angles show it was a bit naughty, but that would be VAR on another level.

Johnson was stupid as it could have been a red if the ref had seen it properly 

I like this squad and that we are tougher these days, but not when it's rash. The stupid free kicks we give away around the box have cost us big time once we come up against decent quality

It was a penalty, my annoyance is that a lino can spot that this week, but the guy last week was happy for the wrestling moves on Flint. 

The stupid free kicks are one thing, the stupid yellows another. Vaulks in the first half for time wasting and Byers quite early in the 2nd, both walk a tightrope. Probably does not help in trying to stop their momentum. 

Bannan suddenly looks an old man when we are not controlling possession.

The wingbacks as a result became a back 5 and there is a 40 yard gap between our strikers and midfield.

Yesterday we did look bare striker wise on the bench. I am still reserving judgement on the transfer window. The flip side will always be that too many options, like Ipswich have, gives the room to tinker. At times it showed and let's be honest Hirst did fuck all 

There's talk now of retrospective action for Marvin Johnson from the Ipswich lot. So, the ref didn't send anyone off, or the linesman didn't instruct the ref of an elbow from Marv, but saw enough to award the penalty yet didn't know who it was.

I know retrospective action can be taken, and has been before from footage. BUT, that was TV footage.. Will the EFL go rooting through social media for it?

Oh and....

Their manager, Kieran McKenna says.... The first goal was special from us. But, we're time wasting shithouses. 

34 minutes ago, HoylandOwl said:

There's talk now of retrospective action for Marvin Johnson from the Ipswich lot. So, the ref didn't send anyone off, or the linesman didn't instruct the ref of an elbow from Marv, but saw enough to award the penalty yet didn't know who it was.

I know retrospective action can be taken, and has been before from footage. BUT, that was TV footage.. Will the EFL go rooting through social media for it?

Oh and....

Their manager, Kieran McKenna says.... The first goal was special from us. But, we're time wasting shithouses. 

Seriously if they start looking at social media to determine retrospective action then the game is more fucked than we thought.

1 minute ago, mkowlthesexynewversion said:

Seriously if they start looking at social media to determine retrospective action then the game is more fucked than we thought.

I agree mate, completely. I think it's more Ipswich fans looking for a way to make their sour grapes a little sweeter. 

1 hour ago, HoylandOwl said:

Oh and....

They won't need to go rooting: Happy has posted it above!   

(From an Ipswich site, tbf.)

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, KrolMong said:

Game of two halves.

First half, in complete control, the midfield three ran the show, Windass and Smith caused problems with their movement, it was really easy to find them. And the high press was effective.

The penalty, I still can’t work out properly what it was for. 

The miss from Smith was pivotal, the crowd had gone and had we gone 3-up, it is game over.

Ultimately though, it was story of two free kicks, one very good one, and then a big deflection on the second which led to them throwing kitchen sink at us. But… I don’t remember them creating a good chance. Dawson had two routine saves to make, and they just kept throwing forwards on. The best chance of the half was the Flint miss, and the last 10-15 minutes we got control of the territory and did pin them in.

Some good displays. The back three again were excellent. Vaulks, again, excellent, Dawson was very good. I thought Smith had a good game. However, I don’t think the wing backs offered enough, I thought Byers had his worst game for a long while.

My major frustration was just over the number of silly free kicks we have away. Especially in the second half.

Ipswich are a good side with the ball, best I’ve seen this season, so I was pleased with a point in the end, but a little annoyed we didn’t go 3-up, and really kill them off. But I’d have taken a point at kick off, and being quite honest, we comfortably achieved it.

Whilst I agree about our donation of ridiculous free kicks I can't possibly agree with two other comments in the above posts.  The back three were not excellent: for a substantial chunk of the 2nd half Iorfa was seriously struggling, both with his leg injury and his composure. Many clearances were wildly hit straight to Ipswich or headed straight up in the air: certainly not directed to or near a colleague.  Similarly Famewo lost his head for a while and was hurrying and scuffing clearances, losing possession and ending up on the wrong side of his man: having to chase him to the goal line.  It was particularly easy to spot as the song with his name in it that was otherwise being sung all game simply stopped for about 15 or 20 minutes. Thankfully, after the worst of their 2nd half onslaught had passed, our defence eventually got their mojo back and our normal service (and singing!) resumed.  

We "comfortably achieved" a point? No we did not.  We were excellent for 40 mins in the first half but, after that, there was nothing comfortable about what followed. Apart from five minutes or so late on spent in or around their area I've not seen us as thoroughly UNcomfortable for such a long spell in a game for months.  

18 minutes ago, HoylandOwl said:

Yeah but even so, it's a sad state of affairs if that's what it comes to. 

18 minutes ago, mkowlthesexynewversion said:

By social media

The official camera at the game does not capture it with any degree of certainty. If we start using fan cam fuck me 

Yeah but this is us we're talking about.

"Is it ok if we use your clip in tomorrow's edition of The Fail / Times if we credit you?"

28 minutes ago, Owling_Wolf said:

Yeah but this is us we're talking about.

"Is it ok if we use your clip in tomorrow's edition of The Fail / Times if we credit you?"

The fail wouldn't ask. They'd just do it, then put some slur in about the Hillsborough disaster even though we played in Suffolk.

1 hour ago, Owling_Wolf said:

Whilst I agree about our donation of ridiculous free kicks I can't possibly agree with two other comments in the above posts.  The back three were not excellent: for a substantial chunk of the 2nd half Iorfa was seriously struggling, both with his leg injury and his composure. Many clearances were wildly hit straight to Ipswich or headed straight up in the air: certainly not directed to or near a colleague.  Similarly Famewo lost his head for a while and was hurrying and scuffing clearances, losing possession and ending up on the wrong side of his man: having to chase him to the goal line.  It was particularly easy to spot as the song with his name in it that was otherwise being sung all game simply stopped for about 15 or 20 minutes. Thankfully, after the worst of their 2nd half onslaught had passed, our defence eventually got their mojo back and our normal service (and singing!) resumed.  

We "comfortably achieved" a point? No we did not.  We were excellent for 40 mins in the first half but, after that, there was nothing comfortable about what followed. Apart from five minutes or so late on spent in or around their area I've not seen us as thoroughly UNcomfortable for such a long spell in a game for months.  

What I mean by comfortable, was that they didn’t trouble Dawson enough, we were very much under the cosh, for all of the possession they had inside 30 yards, there wasn’t much in the way of clear cut chances. We did a fairly good of keeping them at arms length, I can only think of twice in the whole game where they got behind the back three, and on both occasions we cut the cross out.

Just on the difference in the second half, in the first half, the Ipswich full backs were the issue, bad without and without the ball. That actually allowed Bannan to push right up against Morsy and then led to Ipswich just banging it down the throat of our back three. In fact, Palmer almost ended up as a proper wide midfield player in the first half which also allowed Bannan freedom of the pitch pretty much unchecked. The big change was pushing the full backs right up, which pushed Palmer back, and then it created overloads on our left which then ended up with is playing a back five and a flat three in midfield, Bannan dropped into a left sided role, it then meant that Windass was trying to stand on Morsy, but chasing back to do so. 

The person who would have made the biggest difference would have been Malik Wilks. Because he drifts wide, he would have occupied one of the Ipswich wide players. Our lack of attacking options on the bench hurt us a bit. 

9 minutes ago, KrolMong said:

What I mean by comfortable, was that they didn’t trouble Dawson enough, we were very much under the cosh, for all of the possession they had inside 30 yards, there wasn’t much in the way of clear cut chances. We did a fairly good of keeping them at arms length, I can only think of twice in the whole game where they got behind the back three, and on both occasions we cut the cross out.

Just on the difference in the second half, in the first half, the Ipswich full backs were the issue, bad without and without the ball. That actually allowed Bannan to push right up against Morsy and then led to Ipswich just banging it down the throat of our back three. In fact, Palmer almost ended up as a proper wide midfield player in the first half which also allowed Bannan freedom of the pitch pretty much unchecked. The big change was pushing the full backs right up, which pushed Palmer back, and then it created overloads on our left which then ended up with is playing a back five and a flat three in midfield, Bannan dropped into a left sided role, it then meant that Windass was trying to stand on Morsy, but chasing back to do so. 

The person who would have made the biggest difference would have been Malik Wilks. Because he drifts wide, he would have occupied one of the Ipswich wide players. Our lack of attacking options on the bench hurt us a bit. 

Absolutely agree with the last bit.  First time I've missed Wilks!  

We could be very short of players for next week or two, especially if we get shit over Johnson.  Might have to use young 'uns off the bench. 

12 minutes ago, Owling_Wolf said:

Absolutely agree with the last bit.  First time I've missed Wilks!  

We could be very short of players for next week or two, especially if we get shit over Johnson.  Might have to use young 'uns off the bench. 

Or we could be fine as James and Gregory likely back Tuesday.