The World Cup thread….

HoylandOwl

I’ve thought for a while that this World Cup will see few shocks, and some big scores.  Playing mid season means it’s a level playing field in terms of energy levels. In Summer the players who’ve been involved in the latter stages of the Champions League and Europa are always more knackered.  Climactic conditions are the same for everyone, no jungles or high altitude.  Jet lag is not a major factor for European or Europe based players, which means almost anyone who’s any good.

22 minutes ago, owl71 said:

Agree with above comments about England’s occasional lack of defensive organisation and composure.  Always thought we’d get out of the group with few problems, but I don’t think we were watching likely World Cup winners today.

There was always going to be a couple of moments where we switched off. No matter what or who the team is it happens, complacency slips in for a moment or two. 
However, the penalty was never a penalty so I’d scrub that off anyway as being a lapse. 

Plenty positives. Onto Friday now. 

I've never had less anticipation of a football World Cup than this one.  I suppose because our club league is still playing, it's involving a joke host & timing, all the politics surrounding it - 15  mins before kickoff of the Dutch game, ITV's priority was to have a reporter asking Dutch Fans outside the stadium "Did you think about not coming?" - and the plethora of other sports events & finals this amazing sporting year. And the game yesterday was tripe.  Today things changed!  I'd never even looked at the schedules until after the England game.  Wow! Three live games today: bring it on!   🤩

2 minutes ago, Owling_Wolf said:

I've never had less anticipation of a football World Cup than this one.  I suppose because our club league is still playing, it's involving a joke host & timing, all the politics surrounding it - 15  mins before kickoff of the Dutch game, ITV's priority was to have a reporter asking Dutch Fans outside the stadium "Did you think about not coming?" - and the plethora of other sports events & finals this amazing sporting year. And the game yesterday was tripe.  Today things changed!  I'd never even looked at the schedules until after the England game.  Wow! Three live games today: bring it on!   🤩

If that excited you there's 4 live ones tomorrow, I hope you can contain the emotion knowing that.

9 minutes ago, wollowl said:

Was a perfect opportunity for someone (eg Kane, Magiure, Shaw) to come out after HT wearing the One Love armband. If they did get a yellow card they could have been subbed immediately.

or you being thick on purpose?  England were thinking doing it from the start of the match but the threat of getting a booking in first minute for the captain was too much of a risk with the rest of the match to play. After forty five minutes, the match was won, England could afford to substitute anyone. How much media coverage would that action have created?

4 hours ago, Hirstys 12th Pint said:

What are people doing for the England match then ?   Day off and watching, 'working from home', sneaky viewing on phone at work or just sacking it off ?

Personally I am taking a later lunch at work and watching first half, then will be keeping touch online for second half.

Retiring four years ago.  Now THAT'S forward planning.  😉

56 minutes ago, wollowl said:

or you being thick on purpose?  England were thinking doing it from the start of the match but the threat of getting a booking in first minute for the captain was too much of a risk with the rest of the match to play. After forty five minutes, the match was won, England could afford to substitute anyone. How much media coverage would that action have created?

Quoting yourself, now that's thick.

• Haha 2

Taffs have been rubbish.  They seem to be trying to bypass the midfield, like we’re in some kind of 80s time warp.  Suppose it’s only to be expected with an ex Blade as coach.  Sherman’s should be more than one goal up.  Maybe they’ll regret it.