The World Cup thread….

1 hour ago, Owling_Wolf said:

A-hole in one?    Ya bunch of weirdos!   👀

Even if I was of that bent, which I ain't, I would have drawn the line at a Villa and a Chelsea fan!   There are certain standards!!   😋

Not sure you're supposed to call em bent in this day and age Fred

• Haha 1

While it’s daft (or not because it’s Qatar and they do what the fook they want), has this bloke gone over there for beer or football?

Yes, he was told he could have both initially, but Qatar is hardly a hotbed of ale is it? And as the tournament was sponsored by Budweiser then, well, he was only going to get the ale he can get here anyway…

2 hours ago, Beaconowl said:

Apparently the Qatar government are hiring people to attend games to pretend to be fans of the teams playing, because so few tickets have been sold 

What a mess

There are tickets available on the official FIFA website for all of England's group games, along with the other European nations, yet they're claiming 2.4 million tickets 'sold'. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, holmesfield_owl said:

It's not a term I appreciate tbh and I'd take issue if someone called me it, same as faggott etc, it's derogatory.

I'm not surprised! Hopefully you'll have noticed that I didn't, Holmes: my phrase was a completely different usage. It's almost as if Reesh didn't know that perfectly well. 👀

• Like 1

The tournament is 48 hours or so away and I have zero enthusiasm for it, last world Cup I felt this much apathy for was 1994 and that was cos I was sulking cos we didn't qualify. 

I remember watching some games whilst on the school residential on the pocket TV I'd got for Christmas.

• Like 1

So. As of last week, I had to opportunity to go to Qatar tomorrow, to see 10 (Yes Ten) games, and then come back a week on Monday. The only cost was the flight and spending money. I had to turn it down due to the birth of my little lad.

The comment about it not being a sellout is an understatement. There are no issues getting tickets for any European group games whatsoever. The Polish FA have offered discount travel and all kinds of deals to get people over there.

This is going to be the final nail in FIFA’s coffin, especially with the 10’s of millions they will need to pay Budweiser.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, EpworthOwl said:

You watch. They'll crack down on same sex couples next and there'll be a few letters from Qatari cells asking national ambassadors to help get them released. 

And as for women in taxis on their own. They'll be straight to the nick too!

Medieval ***** (the Qatari leadership that is) 

• Like 1

One thing I can't get my head around is English pubs boycotting showing games.  I sympathise with people taking umbrage with the host's treatment and potential treatment of same sex couples and 'non-binary' folks, but the stance of these establishments - except where their locals have driven it - just looks like they're cutting their noses off to spite their faces. Sadly, it'll make no direct difference to Qatar: chances are they'll never even know about it.   

They may simply feel better about themselves for doing this but that could be cold comfort for them during a harsh economic situation, particularly if local rivals hoover up some of their usual clientel.  

30 minutes ago, Owling_Wolf said:

One thing I can't get my head around is English pubs boycotting showing games.  I sympathise with people taking umbrage with the host's treatment and potential treatment of same sex couples and 'non-binary' folks, but the stance of these establishments - except where their locals have driven it - just looks like they're cutting their noses off to spite their faces. Sadly, it'll make no direct difference to Qatar: chances are they'll never even know about it.   

They may simply feel better about themselves for doing this but that could be cold comfort for them during a harsh economic situation, particularly if local rivals hoover up some of their usual clientel.  

I genuinely think if people won't go yo the pub to watch...if they're going to watch, they'll watch at home

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Owling_Wolf said:

Pubs or bars, Fred.

1 hour ago, Reesh said:

The tournament is 48 hours or so away and I have zero enthusiasm for it, last world Cup I felt this much apathy for was 1994 and that was cos I was sulking cos we didn't qualify. 

I remember watching some games whilst on the school residential on the pocket TV I'd got for Christmas.

You  mean Residential School.

I like the notion of boycotting it. Not because it’s Qatar per se but as a protest to FIFA at their scandalous decision to hold the tournament there. 

This will be a glorious failure.

I’ll maybe watch the England games if we get to the later stages but otherwise I won’t bother. Previous tournaments I’d watch as many games as I could. 

It’ll make no difference but I don’t want to contribute to making this shitshow anything of a success. 

From the Qatar perspective, these made me chuckle. He’s been buying up packets, adding his own to them and then putting them back in shops. 

https://www.spellingmistakescostlives.com/product-page/qatar-2022-football-sticker

2 hours ago, Owling_Wolf said:

While there’s obviously things that go on over there that shouldn’t, not showing the games in pubs here is just virtue signalling.

I mean come on, of course not showing a game in a pub in England will really change things over there and it won’t change anything at FIFA either. 
To be honest short of some miracle that the powers that be have a case of finding true consciousness, then nothing will.

It shouldn’t have been held there, we know it. Everyone except FIFA and officials in Qatar knows it. 

I wonder if the Qataris are beginning to regret getting the WC, and that this is showing in their backtracking on certain concessions that they’d previously made.

Its cost them a fortune (that they can afford) for which they must have expected an upside, but it’s turned out to be nothing but negative PR since day 1. I can’t see it getting any better for them over the next few weeks.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, M42Owl said:

I wonder if the Qataris are beginning to regret getting the WC, and that this is showing in their backtracking on certain concessions that they’d previously made.

Its cost them a fortune (that they can afford) for which they must have expected an upside, but it’s turned out to be nothing but negative PR since day 1. I can’t see it getting any better for them over the next few weeks.

Nah. They’ll be arrogant enough to say it’s a roaring success.

21 minutes ago, KrolMong said:

Just to confirm. There is zero issue getting a beer in Doha. Lots and lots of choice.

The BBC have been having a pop all morning about this World Cup showing places still getting built, shite accommodation for £200 a night etc

personally I would’ve probably just gone to Tenerife on the lash and watch it on the box rather than go over there. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Winco said:

The BBC have been having a pop all morning about this World Cup showing places still getting built, shite accommodation for £200 a night etc

personally I would’ve probably just gone to Tenerife on the lash and watch it on the box rather than go over there. 

Sounds like a plan, that!