The World Cup thread….

I watched on Sunday, England game then half of the Wales game and have seen bits of most of the rest so far.

it’s not the same, doesn’t have the same buzz at all. The political shit going off in the background doesn’t help either. 
Im looking forward to Friday night. But more so going to the game on Saturday. 

Was listening to one game on 5Live and the attendance was given out of the PA system. Chris Sutton immediately said that's 5k more than the official capacity isn't it and look at all those empty seats. They then forget the football and talk for five minutes about inflated attendances. 

Another point was made, back in the studio, about the crowd noises coming across as manufactured. Sutton then said the drummers were situated away from the main crowd and looked like the "English contingent the Qatari's had paid to come over"

Interesting comments about the politics surrounding the tournament, if you view this from the Arab side. That the European clubs focus on I hate to say first world problems of LGBT rights but would stay silent on global poverty, health.

I mean if you go back 150 years or so our infrastructure, railways, canals were built by cheap immigrant labour with an appalling safety record to boot. 

So there is a degree of hypocrisy

Jeez the biggest sport washing was the Nazis in the 1930s 

Oh if you are complaining about energy prices and security of supply perhaps we should be grateful of the QatarI gas exports that amount to about 10% of the total now and are heavily investing in storage facilities in the UK 

9 minutes ago, Tylluan said:

Was listening to one game on 5Live and the attendance was given out of the PA system. Chris Sutton immediately said that's 5k more than the official capacity isn't it and look at all those empty seats. They then forget the football and talk for five minutes about inflated attendances. 

Another point was made, back in the studio, about the crowd noises coming across as manufactured. Sutton then said the drummers were situated away from the main crowd and looked like the "English contingent the Qatari's had paid to come over"

But at least we are not hearing stories of our pissed up hooligans running amok for once.

And the Euros in 1996 were hardly a sellout with us locals. 

This World Cup is far from perfect but the houlier than thou approach of the commentators and indeed Europe as a whole is a bit condescending really 

1 hour ago, Tylluan said:

Re the attendances, re the England game on Monday. Watch the Undr The Cosh YouTube video, the non ex player host who’s name escapes me, piled into the game after despite his ticket being sent to the wrong email address (his fault) which left him without a digital ticket. But because there were so many struggling to get in, they just opened the gates to let folks in…. 
There’s so many balls ups at this tournament, but let’s not forget Fifa say it’s the greatest World Cup ever.

1 hour ago, mkowlthesexynewversion said:

Interesting comments about the politics surrounding the tournament, if you view this from the Arab side. That the European clubs focus on I hate to say first world problems of LGBT rights but would stay silent on global poverty, health.

I mean if you go back 150 years or so our infrastructure, railways, canals were built by cheap immigrant labour with an appalling safety record to boot. 

So there is a degree of hypocrisy

Jeez the biggest sport washing was the Nazis in the 1930s 

Oh if you are complaining about energy prices and security of supply perhaps we should be grateful of the QatarI gas exports that amount to about 10% of the total now and are heavily investing in storage facilities in the UK 

The micks?

Just a note. My two pals who are out there now have genuinely enjoyed it. They are averaging being able to see two games a day and the whole process has been seamless aside from a couple of ticket glitches with the App.

They’ve also said it far less restrictive than people think, the locals have been really friendly and helpful. And the atmosphere in some games has been really good.

It has been very expensive though.

3 hours ago, KrolMong said:

Just a note. My two pals who are out there now have genuinely enjoyed it. They are averaging being able to see two games a day and the whole process has been seamless aside from a couple of ticket glitches with the App.

They’ve also said it far less restrictive than people think, the locals have been really friendly and helpful. And the atmosphere in some games has been really good.

It has been very expensive though.

Glad to hear.

FIFA are still shitehawks though. 

7 minutes ago, mkowlthesexynewversion said:

I thought I was quite positive for me 

My point is watching England is always similar to watching Wednesday, a few good moments but the invariable fuck up just waiting to knock you down 

Shurrup. It's coming home...

Ooops.

They'll soon be coming home....

Is that better?

51 minutes ago, Tylluan said:

Bale wank, 

Ramsey wank

Allen unfit

Maybe now Page will pick a team for the occasion and not on names. What's the point of playing Brennan Johnson wide just to keep Ramsey and Bale on the pitch. What for? Just in case we get a free kick or a penalty???

Brennan English Johnson

Kieffer English Moore

Chris English Mepham

Ethan English Ampadu

Dan English James

You boys can cheer on your real country tonight lads

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tylluan said:

Bale wank, 

Ramsey wank

Allen unfit

Maybe now Page will pick a team for the occasion and not on names. What's the point of playing Brennan Johnson wide just to keep Ramsey and Bale on the pitch. What for? Just in case we get a free kick or a penalty???

Should have brought the young un in stead... 

He told them he wasn't going to travel as a reserve and pulled out apparently @Tylluan

1 hour ago, Tank_Owl2,0 said:

I can see us hammering Wales next week, even if we beat USA and don’t need to win particularly.

Finishing top and getting (hopefully) an easier tie has got to be the aim

I can’t see us hammering them. They’ll be up for it anyway, and even more so knowing it has to be 3 points or bust.