Vale v Wednesday match thread

Reesh

Back three, Vaulks and Bannan were good. Windass good first half. Wasn’t great for the wing backs given how bad the pitch was wide but they worked hard. I thought Smith struggled a bit but he was better second half. Paterson was good when came on.

There are games where a war of attrition and I actually thought that when we went a bit ale house second half, we got control of the game especially as we got runners around the forwards.

Just a comment on that back three. They won everything. James and Ihiekwe go narrow and they let Heneghan attack it. And Stockdale does a good job of mopping up.

That’s a good and deserved win that.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, KrolMong said:

Back three, Vaulks and Bannan were good. Windass good first half. Wasn’t great for the wing backs given how bad the pitch was wide but they worked hard. I thought Smith struggled a bit but he was better second half. Paterson was good when came on.

There are games where a war of attrition and I actually thought that when we went a bit ale house second half, we got control of the game especially as we got runners around the forwards.

Just a comment on that back three. They won everything. James and Ihiekwe go narrow and they let Heneghan attack it. And Stockdale does a good job of mopping up.

That’s a good and deserved win that.

First half was very much even but as it went on we grew into the game on a pitch which did neither side any favours.

Second half I think we took more control albeit without creating too much and it took a superb hit to make the difference but after that we were in control I don't recall Stockdale having much to do in the 2nd half.

I am not a fan of some of the antics of our players mind and moaned when we had teams do it to us.

The pitch at my local park where the kids play is a far better surface than what they played on today, that was utterly atrocious, fair play to Wednesday coming away with the 3 points.

It was always going to be a goal that won it & what a goal that was, Vaulks has deserved that after some decent performances.

Onto Tuesday which will be a much harder affair, a game I'll happily take a point from.

Best team won. Not convincingly but we did enough and worked their keeper more than they worked Stockdale.

Defence is an enigma. Look so solid whilst also capable of gifting a goal at any time. Henegan was excellent again.

Vaulkes’ performances should get him a start at Plymouth, giving Byers a bit more recovery time.

Smith showed how valuable Gregory is to us. And Wilks is still flattering to deceive. I thought Windass had a disappointing game. Front three weren’t very effective: midfield saved them.

Plymouth will be more difficult opponents, but I think we’ll up our game against a better side.

They messed that pitch up on purpose today it was like a ploughed field didn’t work cos we are awesome. Stockdale and Wilks were piss funny today some are suggesting that we shouldn’t do it but I thought it was hilarious.

On a serious note I think we could learn a lot from their throw in tactics I’d love to see us distributing it a bit more rather than the short one that everyone seems to do these days. 

Edited by HappyOwl
Pissed

I loved a long throw back in the day, 18 yrs of age always got the ball in the 6 yrd box, obviously if the throw in was by the corner flag, not even that long a run up, a few steps and a moving Mel Sterland if you know what I mean. Maybe that is the reason that IF I had to take a long throw in now it wouldnt get inside the 18 yard box. 

However back to topic I am surprised the long throw isn't used a bit more.

Who was the Stoke player a while back that could proper launch it? Was it Delap?

1 hour ago, Lee said:

I loved a long throw back in the day, 18 yrs of age always got the ball in the 6 yrd box, obviously if the throw in was by the corner flag, not even that long a run up, a few steps and a moving Mel Sterland if you know what I mean. Maybe that is the reason that IF I had to take a long throw in now it wouldnt get inside the 18 yard box. 

However back to topic I am surprised the long throw isn't used a bit more.

Who was the Stoke player a while back that could proper launch it? Was it Delap?

Aye Rory Delap.

Bromby was our version of it

Good recollection chaps. The stats there maybe stack up as to why the throw in t'box doesn't happen. However, I like a bit of total football etc, no idea why.

But what I would say is that coaches shouldnt just follow suit. In game changes to a 1980s throw it in the box and have a scap works for me.

Numbers not pictures

Didn’t Tommy Spurr have a long throw, and Ben Marshall?

If we’re doing some work on throw ins then we should sort out the short ones in our own half first. No one moves, no options for the thrower. Might as well give the throw to the other side. Been like that for years.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, M42Owl said:

If we’re doing some work on throw ins then we should sort out the short ones in our own half first. No one moves, no options for the thrower. Might as well give the throw to the other side. Been like that for years.

That’s what I meant not the long throws into the box but the ones further back down the pitch. Modern day footballers rarely throw it very far and the thrower always gets it back but vale were finding players in midfield and pinging them all over which left all our players down the expected line. A better team using this tactic would create more space 🙌🙌

in my opinion 

5 minutes ago, M42Owl said:

Yeah, they did. Marshall more so... Antonio too could wang it a long way. 

12 hours ago, HappyOwl said:

They messed that pitch up on purpose today it was like a ploughed field didn’t work cos we are awesome. Stockdale and Wilks were piss funny today some are suggesting that we shouldn’t do it but I thought it was hilarious.

On a serious note I think we could learn a lot from their throw in tactics I’d love to see us distributing it a bit more rather than the short one that everyone seems to do these days. 

After years of watching players doing the shithousery thing to us, I was thrilled to see Wilks & Stockdale do it tbh, but time we had some backbone and stopped being nice all the time.

17 hours ago, Reesh said:

First half was very much even but as it went on we grew into the game on a pitch which did neither side any favours.

Second half I think we took more control albeit without creating too much and it took a superb hit to make the difference but after that we were in control I don't recall Stockdale having much to do in the 2nd half.

I am not a fan of some of the antics of our players mind and moaned when we had teams do it to us.

What antics ?

Was out yesterday afternoon and evening so not caught up with any of match.