The Posh vs. The Owls Matchday Thread

I don’t usually have a go at managers if I can help it, but I can’t back Moore anymore - every time we let a goal in it’s like deja vu.

I know the sending off hasn’t helped, but we’ve been conceding goals in the same areas since the season started, and look no nearer to sorting it.

I just don’t believe he has the tactical knowledge or skills required to take us forward.

He’s got to go.

Just now, Chelters said:

Even in a good season you will get a couple of shit nights like this. Write it off and move on.

Not to say there aren’t a couple of things to address though. 

Yeah

The fucking wanker referees is the number 1 priority.

1 minute ago, Chelters said:

Even in a good season you will get a couple of shit nights like this. Write it off and move on.

Whilst I would accept that, its too many poor excuses of games, too many lack lustre starts, too many occasions where we offer nothing different, the same mistakes are no closer to be rectified. And why no midfield changes when that is where we have strength in depth. Its rank poor management ability 

1 minute ago, Chelters said:

I’m sort of seeing it the other way chelters. I’m seeing the odd game or two when I think great, at last, Moore’s getting it now.

And then the week after we look bog standard and Moore gets out thought by an opposition manager.

I just can’t see it improving and I would love nothing more than to be proven wrong - as I’d love Moore to succeed.

But I’ve seen enough now to stop looking through rose tinted specs and believing Moore will turn it around - he’s coming up short and isn’t, for me anyway now, the man to take us forward.

Will be all four league games now where we have had more free kicks given against us than for us. Happened in the majority of games last season as well even when we were winning games and dominating possession.

Not saying there is a conspiracy or owt like that but psychologically it’s too easy for refs to sway against us. 

Just now, mkowlthesexynewversion said:

Whilst I would accept that, its too many poor excuses of games, too many lack lustre starts, too many occasions where we offer nothing different, the same mistakes are no closer to be rectified. And why no midfield changes when that is where we have strength in depth. Its rank poor management ability 

He did change the midfield though.

That was his biggest mistake of the night.

1 minute ago, mkowlthesexynewversion said:

But it was a red tonight. Completely unnecessary, changed the game in their way but it wasn't like we were dominating.

Moore overthinks the game, too busy fretting about the next game and managing the squad

I wasn't on about the red card, James didn't give him many options.

But yes you are right in what you say, it was actually a decent game apart from the diving clown Clarke.

2 minutes ago, Chelters said:

Will be all four league games now where we have had more free kicks given against us than for us. Happened in the majority of games last season as well even when we were winning games and dominating possession.

Not saying there is a conspiracy or owt like that but psychologically it’s too easy for refs to sway against us. 

I just think we are shit technique wise at making tackles is as much part of it. Lot of shirt pulls as well 

Awful from James. Brainless.

10 men is tough, but it meant Johnson as an orthodox left back and Iorfa at center half. And they loved that right side. And loved the crossing space in front of Iorfa who seems to be utterly blind with  movement across the front of him.

Don’t understand the persistence with Callum Paterson. He’s fucking shit. He doesn’t contribute anything as an attacker other than turning the ball over. And I do understand Byers’ anger. He’s gone off to accommodate a player like Paterson who’s contributed nothing but a poor touch and some silly free kicks.

Need more options wide, more pace up top, and a championship center half. It’s that simple. Peterboro’ will be top two.

2 minutes ago, Bellsview said:

I’m still trying to get my head around the Byers substitution.

I didn't get any of them. He rushed that call, because there was no time to have judged the first swap.

He then is less decisive when a positive change is to be made. Adeniran was coming on, they score, changes it. I don't see that as defensive, it will be 10 days between matches if he gets near the starting line up

But he will bottle the Bolton game, set up cautiously and then play the same way. Fucks me off he is wasting a good squad here by being too safe 

• Like 1

The sending off didn't help matters this evening. 11 v 11, the result would have more than likely been a different story. I thought we were pretty comfortable 11 v 11 but that all changed from the sending off

However

We concede two goals from crosses again from the left side. It looks like that's going to be a theme throughout the season. Hit Wednesday down their left and you'll get rewarded. Ihekwe is not a left sided defender at all, he should be either on the right or in the centre. Putting him there opened us up - just like it did at home to Portsmouth

We also needed a bit of calm in the midfield but we took off Byers. 

We won't win all games and had we not gone down to 10 men, we probably get something out of the game. They'll be up there providing Harris gets goals for them as I thought their other striker Marriott was bang average. That wasn't the same Marriott that Garry Monk signed was it?

7 minutes ago, mkowlthesexynewversion said:

In game I am meaning tonight. After the first goal, why not put on some midfield power and try and get hold the ball and try and put pressure on. Make them nervous rather than a stroll in the park 

I meant in game pal, when James went off the LAST thing he should have done was take Byers off.

He helps hold the midfield together, after he went off they cut us to pieces, especially down the left AGAIN.

Shocking decision.

3 minutes ago, mkowlthesexynewversion said:

I didn't get any of them. He rushed that call, because there was no time to have judged the first swap.

He then is less decisive when a positive change is to be made. Adeniran was coming on, they score, changes it. I don't see that as defensive, it will be 10 days between matches if he gets near the starting line up

But he will bottle the Bolton game, set up cautiously and then play the same way. Fucks me off he is wasting a good squad here by being too safe 

Spot on

Just now, MAL said:

I meant in game pal, when James went off the LAST thing he should have done was take Byers off.

He helps hold the midfield together, after he went off they cut us to pieces, especially down the left AGAIN.

Shocking decision.

I am talking later on - he could have changes before the first goal, but I accept why he would wait. But why the fucking mothers meeting with Smith to decide on later ones. 

Throw strikers on but if you are losing midfield waste of time. Even more annoying is that we have lots of options on the bench, strength on the bench, you can make 5 subs. Give them something to think about. It may fail, probably will but don't go down meekly and not giving it a go

Notwithstanding Vaulks was on a yellow, sailed a bit close on occasion to getting a 2nd. Its like he gets caught in the headlights during the game. 

1 minute ago, mkowlthesexynewversion said:

I am talking later on - he could have changes before the first goal, but I accept why he would wait. But why the fucking mothers meeting with Smith to decide on later ones. 

Throw strikers on but if you are losing midfield waste of time. Even more annoying is that we have lots of options on the bench, strength on the bench, you can make 5 subs. Give them something to think about. It may fail, probably will but don't go down meekly and not giving it a go

Notwithstanding Vaulks was on a yellow, sailed a bit close on occasion to getting a 2nd. Its like he gets caught in the headlights during the game. 

2 minutes ago, MAL said:

He is a similar Chris Turner.

He can get players in, but no idea after that.

I have just posted this above your answer.

Yes - No

He does some thing and it comes right, but i think it is more luck than judgement.

Get an 11 together, play them and tinker when you have to.

Stop being bothered by the Opposition, make them worry about your strongest side.

What's happened to Iorfa?! Weren't we turning down £5millon bids for him. Yeah injuries aside he showed one moment of getting forward but 3 instances of rubbish. When we went down to 10..(yes it probably was a red), we should have packed the midfield. Maybe even put Iorfa there instead if Moore was intent on bringing him on. Some may say that it's a long season but we should have done better. Until we get basics right at the back it's just obvious what will happen. I woke up at 3am to get the kettle on and stupidly get excited but it's like Midsummer Murders... You know exactly what's going to happen. Peterborough looked alright but it was very easy for them in the end. 

Moving forward, we be need to be more direct. Bakinson wasn't at the races either. I thought Paterson put a shift, but maybe Palmer as captain says it all. 

8 minutes ago, bricat said:

I am at a loss for words. I didn't comment on the team selection because I thought he had a plan

The sending off didn't help but I don't understand what tactics we were employing. I would have taken Pato off instead of Byers.

End of. 

He had a plan and it was working before the unhelpful sending off (understatement) agree what you say about pato and Byers.

The first 30/35 minutes we were on par if not the better team then a lapse of judgement by James and we were on the back foot.

Moore then bottled it by making a very rash substitution,  he could have put Paterson in the back 3 and left Byers on if he had just waited a bit.

His naivety and over reliance on certain picks at times is his downfall. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Reesh said:

The first 30/35 minutes we were on par if not the better team then a lapse of judgement by James and we were on the back foot.

Moore then bottled it by making a very rash substitution,  he could have put Paterson in the back 3 and left Byers on if he had just waited a bit.

His naivety and over reliance on certain picks at times is his downfall. 

Fair assessment and as the away side would say we were edging the game without creating much against a side who will be top 6.   

I am a Darren Moore fan but cannot condone the decision to make the substitution straight after the red card.  Paterson, Palmer and Johnson are all versatile so get to half time with a rejig but certainly don't bring Iorfa on for Byers.

Should have either gone 4-3-2 with Palmer and Johnson as Full Back or 5-3-1 with Palmer Left Sided CB and Paterson RWB.

Poor from James in making an erratic tackle when not required and poor from Moore and the Coaching Team.

9 minutes ago, MAL said:

Do the clubs still fill in the scores for the referees?

If they do, is there any way of finding out the scores for every club?

Or even just ours would be good.

Aside from the red card, which I appreciate is important but not convinced it was massively wrong call, not sure he did a lot wrong. We have had worse this season