Owls vs. Addicks Matchday thread

Not been not going while this balloon is in charge.

how the fuck can Aderan (fuck the spelling before anyone starts) can play like he did other night and not even get on bench??

we make 5 changes in the game and win, surely that must ring home to the god bothering dickhead in the dug out.

4 minutes ago, mkowlthesexynewversion said:

I think we are approaching the time he ain't an automatic starter for sure. His crossing was pants 

Too much of him trying the Glenn Hoddle range of passes today, which rarely paid off.

He’s still an automatic starter for me but I get what you’re saying, as we certainly have some strength and options in midfield that we haven’t had in recent seasons.

In view of the heat, I wonder if the plan was to save energy in the first half and increase the tempo as the game wore on That could excuse the poor first half performance and let Charlton run down the pitch to the Kop end. A bit dangerous with the way we defended but they seemed drained in the last 15 minutes.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, bricat said:

In view of the heat, I wonder if the plan was to save energy in the first half and increase the tempo as the game wore on That could excuse the poor first half performance and let Charlton run down the pitch to the Kop end. A bit dangerous with the way we defended but they seemed drained in the last 15 minutes.

Post match interview Moore saying there wasn't enough energy. 10 minutes into the 2nd still not getting it, hence the changes to get it. So I don't think it was a plan going on that. 

Bakinson and Byers brought that, but tbh taking off the waste of space called Patto for Gregory was the key - he can actually control a ball.

Anyway however poor we were, at least we aren't Man U this first half

• Like 1

We didn’t play well but we won. That’s what teams who go up automatically do. 

As we never got going at all in the first half, I have a tendency to agree with Bri, that perhaps our first half lethargy was intentional. Charlton looked to tire as the game went on. We looked dreadful with the ball at the back in that first half and so didn’t get any of the midfielders into the game. 

The subs made a real impact. Both Byers and Bakinson were lively. It’s such a luxury to have 6 good central midfielders to choose from. 

Overall I’m pleased with the start to the season  

Grinding out 3 points from games like that is key to top 2.

We were far from good today but we dug in, stayed in the game and came up with that little bit of quality for the winner.

FDB and BB we awful today but they will have more better games than bad.

Adeniran is going to be eased back but we really do have strength in depth.

Good to get another clean sheet too.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, Supercockle said:

We didn’t play well but we won. That’s what teams who go up automatically do. 

As we never got going at all in the first half, I have a tendency to agree with Bri, that perhaps our first half lethargy was intentional. Charlton looked to tire as the game went on. We looked dreadful with the ball at the back in that first half and so didn’t get any of the midfielders into the game. 

The subs made a real impact. Both Byers and Bakinson were lively. It’s such a luxury to have 6 good central midfielders to choose from. 

Overall I’m pleased with the start to the season  

It was conditions you didn't want to go behind in, so I think it was too many of the players not playing well. 

1 hour ago, Kiwi Owl said:

Oh and one thing 

To the bloke who instead of celebrating, got his camera out to take a photo

Celebrate!!! 😄 😄 and have a word with that person near you who looks like Ken Bates/Father Christmas. Those shorts looked like a 1930's carpet 

It might have been someone you know.  For OO twitter. But I’m guessing you knew that anyway. 🤣

69BF5E21-3071-4563-BDEF-C752FAD59F3A.thumb.jpeg.59b4b792c5eb9f6119727da594fdf1fd.jpeg

It was a game that never really got going  until the 65th or so minute. Our passing was off, Bannan was trying to be far more cute than what was needed, and Paterson, for all his efforts just didn’t effect the game enough. 

The subs did exactly what they needed to, added a new dimension, Gregory’s inclusion was huge as was Byers. As Kiwi said, Windass’ change was startling, he’d gone from almost being desperate to open the scoring to picking his head up a bit more and that cross. Simply brilliant. 
Bakinson picked up where he left off, some good runs, good positioning and the header was quality. 

Another one of those games which has that ‘we’d have lost that last season’ feeling. Long may this ability to get a result continue

• Like 3

Heneghan is an odd one. He was absolutely awful in possession of the ball,  but he wins most of the headers and gets some tackles in. Be a useful signing in some games,  but he frightens me 2 death at times. 

We desperately need some pace in the side. Next two games will tell us a lot

I thought Bashiru and Bannan weren’t at their best but Bannan was trying to influence the game, not sure what was happening with FDB.
Summed up by a good run which he then lost the ball allowing them to spring forward. He just seemed a bit lost today.

Patterson is Patterson, he’s a trier and a back up for several positions - we need someone that can do the dirty stuff as well. Having said that he’d be on the bench if everyone is fit.

I thought their tactics and particularly the way they were applied for over an hour were much more successful than ours.  Surely they'd studied us and the success Portsmouth had with a major part of those tactics: sticking four attackers in a straight line across the pitch up top.  Pompey did it mainly from set pieces but these were doing it in open play, forcing us to have five at the back and then attacking wide and targetting the wingbacks.  It largely worked.  They were also using it to screw up our efforts to play the ball out from the keeper, hence the chaos at times in the first half.  I actually said to a mate in the second half that I'd have taken a point then: something very rare for me.

What really changed things was obvious: the quality (and this season the quantity) of our substitutes.  You could almost see their big defenders' shoulders sag when they saw Gregory coming on.  They'd been moving their bulk around for about an hour in 30 degree heat and now they'd got to chase the savvy Gregs around as well.  The reorganisation at the back also worked well.  BTW, Palmer MOTM by an absolute country mile today. 

BTW, I'm not criticising any players who played today.  Not after they played up to 96 minutes in 30 degrees. They all deserve a medal IMO. 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Mark said:

Heneghan is an odd one. He was absolutely awful in possession of the ball,  but he wins most of the headers and gets some tackles in. Be a useful signing in some games,  but he frightens me 2 death at times. 

We desperately need some pace in the side. Next two games will tell us a lot

He did well against Stockley who is more than a handful at this level and after he went off I don't recall Big Ben losing a header.

Think I'm in the minority, but I didn't think Palmer had a great game, Taylor (their no 23) had him all ends up to the point DM had to change things to stop him getting so much joy. There were also the usual number if sloppy passes (but he was no worse than others on that score)

54 minutes ago, Mark said:

Apologies if it's been mentioned earlier but did anyone else see Pato and Windass having a real go at each other in 1st half,  and it looked pretty serious 

Windass and Paterson for that matter seem to have a go regularly. Windass was similar with FDB last week.

Fact is, the winning mentality and the ‘give a fuck’ factor is back and that stuff is gonna happen.

As long as they shake hands and make up at full time then bring it on. 

We look hungry, angry and fitter this season. Today we played a tricky stubborn team in very testing conditions and came away with 3 points.

That’ll do.

14 minutes ago, Laceups said:

Windass and Paterson for that matter seem to have a go regularly. Windass was similar with FDB last week.

Fact is, the winning mentality and the ‘give a fuck’ factor is back and that stuff is gonna happen.

As long as they shake hands and make up at full time then bring it on. 

We look hungry, angry and fitter this season. Today we played a tricky stubborn team in very testing conditions and came away with 3 points.

That’ll do.

Is that the Yorkshire "That'll do'?   :classic_biggrin:

10 minutes ago, Owling_Wolf said:

What happened to the ref's watch at the end, then?   Was it broken or, being an ex-Prem ref, was it a case of, "Look at me!"

Water breaks will have had an impact plus the subs. 
And That’ll do is Yorkshire yes, that’s the badger.

1 hour ago, Mark said:

Apologies if it's been mentioned earlier but did anyone else see Pato and Windass having a real go at each other in 1st half,  and it looked pretty serious 

I think they are both “big characters” and appear to be able to take it. I think I’m right in saying they walked off together after the final whistle as though they are mates, so I would t be too concerned, actually suggests they do actually give a fvck.

Re Ben H,  I thought he was decent today, had Stockley in his pocket for the most part. I can see him getting better and better as he gets used to playing alongside the other defenders we have.

I don’t think we had a “let them tire themselves out” tactic in the first half. It was us chasing shadows and most likely to be knackered in the second half. Hunt for example could barely stand. 

I didn’t see the Windass/Paterson incident, but I did see Vaukes and Bannan having a heated exchanged. Hunt delayed a throw in whilst they sorted whatever it was out.

There we’re some mediocre performances today, someone decent ones too. Palmer was excellent against a tricky opponent, apart from a 10 minute spell at the start of the second half. Henegan won most of his duels, but his passing was sloppy. But I think half the problem for the back three playing out is the absence of someone to relieve. Bannan o ten does this but he’s playing further forward. Byers on for Vaukes and it all changed. Hopefully, Vaukes will improve. Gregory was the most noticeable improvement from the subs, but Windass was much better behind him and Sow. I agree with others that we could be nearing the end of Bannan as a definite starter. With the heat today, I’d rest the entire middle three on Tuesday, Hunt and Johnson too if alternatives are available.

Poor game, and not a great performance.  There are two massive positives though.  Firstly the back three and keeper are starting to convince me. Heneghan looks like a massive signing, a beast in the air and calm under pressure.  Also a second clean sheet for fat, past it Stockdale.  Let’s see how many he racks up this season, shall we.  Secondly for a change, Moore made the right subs today, and it won us the game. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mark said:

Never get this concern about players having words in a game, part of football whatever level you play at, forgotten in 5 minutes.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Reesh said:

I'd rather players have a pop at each otjer than let it go past them without emotion.

Absolutely yes. And they are both strong characters  which you want but it looked quite serious at time. As long as it doesn't fester,  no problems 

• Like 1

There was more than one occasion when there was a bit of arm flailing involving Windass and/or Pato. 
I recall one occasion when the ball was played wide when Windass clearly wanted it and didn’t get it, play broke down and he was stropping like Kevin the teenager. 

There’s one thing being pissed off about a mistake/misplaced pass, but being a dick is another. As already mentioned, showing the will to win, isn’t a bad thing. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, HoylandOwl said:

There was more than one occasion when there was a bit of arm flailing involving Windass and/or Pato. 
I recall one occasion when the ball was played wide when Windass clearly wanted it and didn’t get it, play broke down and he was stropping like Kevin the teenager. 

There’s one thing being pissed off about a mistake/misplaced pass, but being a dick is another. As already mentioned, showing the will to win, isn’t a bad thing. 

It seems an issue when Josh does it though, Adeniran lost his shit with Sow on Wednesday night for just stopping after he played a pass to him and it doesn't get a sniff on here.

1 minute ago, HoylandOwl said:

Don’t think it’s a secret Windass is a mardy twat, his teammates will know that hopefully part of the working environment.

A welcome three points, but we were poor today. We’ve often complained about our inability to win when not playing well though, so that’s got to be a positive.

As many have pointed out the substitutions really changed the game, and if you judged the game on the last 20 minutes alone then we were worth the three points; on the full 90 though it was a definite steal. Credit to Moore for getting the changes right, although subs changing the course of a game does sort of mean that the starting line up wasn’t right. Gregory made such a difference, his ability to hold the ball up, win challenges that he’s not favourite for, and draw fouls is excellent. Outside of the subs Palmer was the stand out player. The defence bizarrely looked both dodgy and solid at the same time. Dodgy when playing it out from the back (we’ll definitely concede a few from that source during the course of the season), but other than that mix up that Palmer ended up blocking I didn’t think we particularly looked like conceding. Heneghan looks excellent in the air, but I think we have to accept that on the ball he’s a little agricultural.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, HoylandOwl said:

He was like that at MK when Fizz broke through but shot at the keeper. Ironically he was the one wasting attacks by blazing over from miles out yesterday, twice when we'd got men in the box.  He was like another player after the change of position, (thankfully!)  

21 hours ago, Winco said:

Not been not going while this balloon is in charge.

how the fuck can Aderan (fuck the spelling before anyone starts) can play like he did other night and not even get on bench??

we make 5 changes in the game and win, surely that must ring home to the god bothering dickhead in the dug out.

First game back in a very long time, pal, and went down after challenges two or 3 times.  Hopefully just being careful. 

1 minute ago, Owling_Wolf said:

First game back in a very long time, pal, and went down after challenges two or 3 times.  Hopefully just being careful. 

According to DM as he has been out for some time they are managing his comeback - makes sense . Or would people prefer we go back to the days of rushing players back too early and causing future problems 

In that blistering heat I think DM did that right thing protecting some of the players that are still getting back to full fitness.

I have to say I was a bit surprised Windass stayed on for the full 90+ but it’s probably just as well he did with that superb cross.

It’ll be intriguing to see which personnel get the nod for Pboro.

I really hope Gregory is fit enough to start, the difference he makes to holding up the ball is essential. Tbh at times the way he takes the ball at head /neck height and brings it under control is as good as anything we’ve seen in the last 20years.

Edited by Tank_Owl2,0

You make a good point about Windass doing the full 90 @Tank_Owl2,0but as see his options are Sow over Paterson (who played yesterday) I think he’ll risk Windass for 60. Maybe Windass off the bench would be the better option? Accept that you try to keep it tight for an hour and bring Windass on with others, to go and win the game. 

I like that we have options, though having Smith would be preferential. Hopefully Saturday will see him on the bench but maybe another week.