Friendlies V foreign opposition

With the friendly against Rayo Vallecano coming up this week, it got me thinking back to friendlies with other overseas sides at S6. 

There was the one a few seasons back, against Espanyol, where there was loads of Chinese fans there to see their countryman, Wu Lei in action. Was a decent game too. 

Brondby with Schmeichel in goal, who had a stinker, that happened to be in the middle of the season.. Which was weird. 

PSV after signing De Bilde. That was a good game, think it ended 2-2, and their left back (Bruma?) scored an absolute thunderbastard of a goal (think he played for Villa later on, maybe even about 4/5 years ago). I think Kezman played for PSV that day too. 

Obviously there's the Santos one with Pele, but even I wasn't old enough to see that.

Is there any more you can think of ?

Here was one about maybe 15 or 16 years ago v a Spanish side, I can't remember who..... I should it was 1st game I took my son on the kop, front row so he could run about. My memory says Valencia but it can't have been that good 😊😊

16 minutes ago, HoylandOwl said:

Brondby with Schmeichel in goal, who had a stinker, that happened to be in the middle of the season.. Which was weird. 

First of at least 4 occasions on which Schmeichel conceded 3 goals at Hillsborough.

Can't think he has such a poor record at any other English ground?

2019 espanyol 1-2

2018 villareal 1-3

2017 rangers 0-2

2016 benfica 1-0

2015 st mirren 5-0

2013 rangers 1-0

2003 den haag 1-2

2001 cd alaves 1-0

2000 psv eindhoven 2-2

1990 bronby 3-0

1987 hjk Helsinki 4-0

1981 nigerian national team 3-1

1981 vancouver whitecaps 2-1

1980 olimija Ljubljana 1-1

1975 morton 2-0

1972 santos 0-2

On 20/07/2022 at 16:14, HarrySpeakup said:

Morton 1975

quite a game for me as they are my second team

also seen Morton at Halifax 1970 (joe Jordan on the bench) and notts county late 70s Anglo-Scottish cup

I'm sure my uncle Tommy Dunlop would have been there with his half and half scarf. What a guy he was.