Everton

Reesh

29 minutes ago, KrolMong said:

I’ve read some interesting stuff on this, but the starkest comment was on some football podcast I listened to yesterday.

The reality is that there is now a precedent set. But it’s what happens next with City and Chelsea - which being clear, will be absolutely nothing. There are two reasons for this, one is that it is multiple charges that both clubs are facing which are going to take several years to sift through and more critically, both sides are being backed by absolutely elite legal teams.

The second, and more harrowing reason, is linked to the ESL link from a few years back. Both teams wanted part of it, and because the PL was very soft in there punishment, as soon as the threat of a punishment comes they will play that card again… The Saudi’s and QATAR’s are very much interested in funding and hosting such a competition.

What you are actually going to see is those clubs with clout given a bit of free rein, but any ‘lesser’ club found to breach even at a small scale is to be punished.

Some clubs will simply be untouchable in all of this.

I don't empathise with the Everton fans on the fact they did break the rules. Just like we did. Take the consequences.

What I will empathise on is exactly your point above, that there won't be consistency. It happens everywhere, in my world the regulator will go for a sole trader whilst the big firms say the usual contrite shite.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The interesting aspect is that the EPL do not have the same rule or set up as the EFL.

In other words when we got the punishment the clock was effectively re-set on the finances. Meaning you don't breach over the 3 year rolling period again

However FFP or whatever we call it is generally a 2 fold test. It stipulates maximum losses in one season and also over 3 seasons.

So the fact is Everton fans appear to be bemoaning the double jeopardy aspect of today's ruling. I would be empathetic to that. However if they have specifically exceeded the losses in the 22/23 season then it seems reasonable to be charged again. I am not sure the details have been stated.

Folk questioning FFP again, should it apply ? I think it does get conflated as to how do Man City and Chelsea circumvent it - again a very legitimate argument and it not applying at all.

The reason in part is not wanting a Reading scenario as the current example. Also it would fuel player wage inflation - no doubt about that making the EPL and indeed below even less competitive. You also risk a club imploding and it then being a deck of cards if transfer fees are owed etc.

Whether the rules are right and consistently applied is one thing, but for me a free for all would leave an even worse outcome 

6 minutes ago, mkowl said:

The interesting aspect is that the EPL do not have the same rule or set up as the EFL.

In other words when we got the punishment the clock was effectively re-set on the finances. Meaning you don't breach over the 3 year rolling period again

However FFP or whatever we call it is generally a 2 fold test. It stipulates maximum losses in one season and also over 3 seasons.

So the fact is Everton fans appear to be bemoaning the double jeopardy aspect of today's ruling. I would be empathetic to that. However if they have specifically exceeded the losses in the 22/23 season then it seems reasonable to be charged again. I am not sure the details have been stated.

Folk questioning FFP again, should it apply ? I think it does get conflated as to how do Man City and Chelsea circumvent it - again a very legitimate argument and it not applying at all.

The reason in part is not wanting a Reading scenario as the current example. Also it would fuel player wage inflation - no doubt about that making the EPL and indeed below even less competitive. You also risk a club imploding and it then being a deck of cards if transfer fees are owed etc.

Whether the rules are right and consistently applied is one thing, but for me a free for all would leave an even worse outcome 

MK, we are in agreement. Your last sentence sums it up for me, lets have some consistency in this matter. But, as the current Reading situation proves, a free for all would potentially cause clubs financially failing even more frequently 

The irony in all this is that if Everton are punished again, and Forest punished and appeals are unsuccessful, there is a chance that further deductions will come. Which in turn increases the pigs chances of stopping up.

What would be funny is that if Forest end up with 10 off, Everton with 20 off, and the pigs still go down!

• 1 month later...
8 minutes ago, Hirstys 12th Pint said:

Everton given 4 points back !!

Sandwiches out everyone to celebrate.

A bit like when ours was reduced - that seems "fair and reasonable". Well I guess if you accept the breach and that a points deduction was appropriate in the first place 

Sadly I think FFP or whatever it is called is a necessary evil to combat ever increasing inflation on wages 

11 minutes ago, Hirstys 12th Pint said:

I’m not going to get too excited yet. I think they have a second charge to now fight which could mean further points.

I full expect Wilder and Sean Bean to march to the Houses of Parliament to protest with their Matalan tracksuits on and Umbro trainers off.

3 hours ago, Hirstys 12th Pint said:

I've just given news to a work colleague who supports blunts as I was eating a cheese sandwich. 

I've no respect for premier league fans. 😂

• Haha 2

It is interesting that our own case v the EFL got mentioned. Basically there was a degree of precedent in regulator sanctioning for a similar offence.

So I think it was right the sanction was reduced to what ours was reduced to in 2020, very similar in terms of overspend and not really respecting the rules, then trying an accounting dodge to get the losses down 

6 hours ago, Tylluan said:

Everton's next case to be heard early April, along with Forest. 

With the appeals process it might take until the Premier League AGM, four days after the season finishes, to find out who's relegated. 

They won't have the bollocks to relegate someone after the last game of the season, any points deduction from then will be applied from the beginning of next season, Shirley!

8 hours ago, Fat Eric said:

They won't have the bollocks to relegate someone after the last game of the season, any points deduction from then will be applied from the beginning of next season, Shirley!

The PL constitution says something like the final league placings have to be voted on and ratified at the AGM. So technically they can move teams around as long as it's voted on. 

14 hours ago, Fat Eric said:

if one of them are in the bottom three, anyway, they’ll be sure to put the nail in the coffin. 

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, HoylandOwl said:

And an appeal will go in, which won’t be heard till after the season….

I mean there would be an amusing scenario (albeit that would require Luton being safe) where the appeals of Forest and Everton determine who gets relegated 

Cue the legal profession rubbing their hands in glee

See the Premier League have placed an advert on the Politico website warning of unintended consequences of regulation. To be fair it would be like Ofwat so do fuck what you want anyway 

Edited by mkowl

3 hours ago, Beaconowl said:

Why are they getting away with it? Either they are guilty or not?

The Premier League voted at its AGM last summer to introduce new rules to fast-track financial breaches - such as happened with Everton and Forest - but those new rules were introduced after Leicester had been relegated, and so don't apply to them.

They're currently going through the old process and will pick up their sanction, if there is to be one, at the beginning of next season. 

• Like 1

Just wait till the Americans have the voting majority in the EPL.

There will be none of this.

They're already after the luxury tax, next will be a soft wage cap based on league TV revenue not individual club income.

Then limits on promotion/relegation.

8 minutes ago, Tewksbury said:

Just wait till the Americans have the voting majority in the EPL.

There will be none of this.

They're already after the luxury tax, next will be a soft wage cap based on league TV revenue not individual club income.

Then limits on promotion/relegation.

annual drafts for player

17 minutes ago, Andyben said:

annual drafts for player

Can't go that far, as we don't have the college system.

They'll just go for making sure that they're all good and making a profit.

Going off a league cap with luxury tax could potentially fix football to a certain extent, but it would have to go through the courts and be implemented across Europe.

2 hours ago, Andyben said:

annual drafts for player

1 hour ago, Tewksbury said:

Can't go that far, as we don't have the college system.

Technically they can if the rise in non club affiliated coaching set ups continues to rise. Young players are already getting scouted and signed by these companies to sell on to clubs so easy to set up a draft around this system. 

What could happen sooner though is an IPL type draft within transfer windows. 

Everton's administration fears with 777 takeover placed in doubt

Ben Rumsby

The takeover of Everton by 777 Partners is on knife-edge ahead of a deadline for a £160 million loan repayment that has sparked fears the club could be plunged into administration.

With what Telegraph Sport has been told is a cut-off of midnight on Monday US time (Tuesday, 5am BST) looming, a deal had still not been struck over money owed by the club to MSP Capital and businessmen Andy Bell – founder of the investment platform AJ Bell – and George Downing.

It emerged last week that US investment firm 777 was seeking an extension to that deadline, talks over which sources subsequently admitted were likely to “go down to the wire”.

Those talks were said to be being led by current Everton owner Farhad Moshiri, who was on Monday facing losing control of the club – and the current sale process – unless an agreement was reached, with the loan said to be secured against 51 per cent of his stake.

There have been reports those owed money were also eyeing a share of Everton’s new £500 million stadium in lieu of repayment.

All this put at risk the takeover by 777, which is also now owed more than £160 million in loans paid to prop up the club after it agreed to buy out Moshiri for £500 million.

Club may face further points deduction if loan left unpaid

Pulling the plug on funding that will see Everton through to the end of the month would need someone else to step up to avert the threat of administration and a nine-point deduction that could see them relegated after they were docked eight points for breaking financial rules.

There are conflicting views over the prospect of insolvency, with one source telling Telegraph Sport Moshiri is committed to preventing the doomsday scenario, either by resuming bankrolling the club himself or finding another buyer.

Another source, however, described administration as a “very real possibility”, adding: “There are three or four main scenarios. The first one is the extension is granted but it’s granted with a price attached to it. That could be an additional payment to MSP. It could be equity. It could be more favourable loan terms.

“If it isn’t granted then MSP takes the equity and either tries to line up somebody else as a buyer.

“The third scenario is probably the administration scenario.”

Everton were already facing a wait until the season ends before any takeover by 777, which is scrambling to raise hundreds of millions of pounds to fund the purchase.

The latest lengthy delay over a takeover agreement stuck with Moshiri almost seven months ago followed the issuing of an ultimatum by the Premier League, which imposed strict conditions on the proposed purchase by a firm that has faced accusations related to its ability to raise cash and its business practices, which it has repeatedly denied.

Those conditions include that it repays the £160 million loan owed by Everton, deposits £60 million into an escrow account for use by the club, converts loans it has itself made into equity, and proves it has access to sufficient funding to complete the construction of a new stadium.

The investment fund co-founded by Josh Wander and Steve Pasko is said to have approached a significant number of lenders to help bankroll the purchase, including Blue Owl Capital, a US-based private credit provider.

Meanwhile, Everton have formally lodged an appeal against the two-point penalty imposed on the club earlier this month for breaching Premier League financial rules.

The club admitted breaching the Premier League’s profitability and sustainability rules (PSR) for permitted losses by £16.6 million for the assessment period ending with the 2022-23 season. The independent commission which imposed the sanction disclosed in the written reasons for its decision that the Premier League had initially sought a five-point penalty.

This was reduced to two by the commission, after mitigation was taken into account, notably the fact that the club were being punished twice in the same overlapping period. In February, Everton had a 10-point penalty for an earlier PSR breach reduced to six on appeal.

Everton will now be aiming to achieve a further reduction to the two-point penalty via the latest appeal, with a hearing arranged for May 24 at the latest. The Premier League season ends on May 18th, raising the possibility of relegation being decided by an independent commission should Everton finish in the bottom three by one or two points, only to be given those points back.

9 hours ago, owl4ever1867 said:

Part from this Palmer is a special player.

Gem of a left foot.

You probably would struggle to accommodate Foden and Palmer in the same starting 11. More about how you balance the type of player you have, not their talent of course.