Ice hockey player

mkowl

4 hours ago, Canterburyowl said:

Saw the incident on twitter, looked horrific, not sure what the player was trying to do with his foot up like that unless he slipped.

Having watched the video, from what I can make out Pergrave deflected off the other Panthers player & seems to lose his balance & hence why he leg went up into the air, I've had a ST at Steelers & been to many a game over the years & hits like that are the norm, you don't realise how fast the game actually is until you've been, it was just a freak accident that has cost Johnson his life, Petgrave will be absolutely distraught.

Personally I don't think he'll play for Steelers again after that incident as something like that is mentally damaging to a person.

My heart breaks for his family, friends & team mates & I still feel numb about it all.

4 minutes ago, Skamp said:

Won’t the Sheffield player get a charge of involuntary manslaughter?  No chance of a record or anything though. Boxers have to go through it, don’t they?  Eubank?

Not commenting on this case but you can imagine a scenario where if it was seen there was deliberate intent, I am thinking head high tackles in rugby that could lead to a fatal injury - would the police take it further. By playing sport are you assuming a potential risk

• 2 weeks later...

I have chosen not to watch said incident and indeed if the legal route is now being followed we have to be careful what is said.

I look at this at a more overall sporting level. Clearly this is an extreme case but you can see somebody elbowing deliberately, rugby with the big high hits, it could happen. The defence was always "it's part and parcel of the game" but this type of legal action could be a bit of a game changer

• Like 1

There's been plenty of talk about something that happened just before the incident, stuff about him being off balance, skating at speed, etc etc.  there's so many things at 'play' here.

But, putting your foot up, with skates on that high.... It's less than ideal. I wouldn't like to have to make this decision, But, the fact is, Mr Johnson lost his life, and he shouldn't have.. 

This has ramifications for sport in general. If the arrested party is formally charged and it goes to court then does plod have to investigate 'deliberate' career ending challenges as ABH and GBH allegations?

Would it mean the end of 'it happened within the game' justifications?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Neville Facking Bartos said:

The balance point is a big one for me. Watching the video that AB has shared shows in better detail his upper body leaning over, that following a minor collision could be just the thing that makes your leg come out and up to stop you decking it?

I might be wrong but that seems logical to me. 

The police should leave this alone, there’s not much chance of a conviction 

Manslaughter is a lower burden of proof - doesn't require intent - so almost simply your actions killed a person.

Could be as simple as a landlord failing to undertake a gas safety check and then a tenant dies after a gas explosion. 

1 minute ago, Neville Facking Bartos said:

Get that but the judge will still instruct a jury to be sure beyond a reasonable doubt. No way they’ll get a majority decision on video evidence alone or him supposedly being a dirty player.

It could set an interesting precedent that's for sure 

I’ve seen the short and long version of it, it’s horrific, and I’ve got to say, I can understand why a manslaughter charge has been levied.

The best way I can describe it is that Adam Johnson, who was on his feet, has been caught in the neck by a skate blade.

Remember that he is on his feet.

10 hours ago, Andyben said:

We didn't see a similar upturn after Duncan Ferguson got done for Affray(?) on the  pitch, or when Paul Elliott sued another player.

This is different. The lad died it deserves to be rsolvd with the full and proper powers of the courts 

So perhaps pass it on to a decent non Corrupt police force?