Taaaaaaaagers (A) Match Thread

8 hours ago, Billysboy said:

I know you were a popular and regular poster on stalk before you upset the fuhrer, maybe there's some sub concious scars still in there👍

I doubt I was popular, certainly not with the owner. Yes Stalk is more gung ho in the opinions generated, but there were some on the football side that make decent observations.

But the other social media channels are probably worse. 

And I don't think there will be much patience shown in the fan base toward the new manager and indeed DC. No fans are, but the goodwill that exists post promotion is gone due to the actions of DC in the last few weeks. 

Some of the criticism is unjustified, but I consider that the short termism one is valid. 

But then the country politically is afflicted by the same trait and we wonder why that is fucked as well

2 minutes ago, EBRA said:

Had hoped for a little sanity on here having been looking at Stalk and some of the Facebook groups … MK doing a good job replicating the knee jerk reactions here 🙂

Most of us understand there is a process in place here, new players gelling with old. new players need to get on pitch as well and a brand new high press style that clearly not working yet. 

We have to at minimum as a fan base hold nerve to the first international break! 

The anti Chansiri lot are loving it.. but remember they jumped at the Barnsley defeat to rain doom down on us all.

P.S. It’s that non of us are not close to panic, it just applying common sense to all the variables at play here! 

The problem is that the Championship is relentless. You can't learn on the job, whether that be players or the head coach. The weaknesses that are very evident will be exploited. 

My irritation is that the Club is run on a "let's throw it together and hope it works" mentality. And the fans like me whether its viewed as knee jerk or not, are just fed up of this approach. 

25 minutes ago, mkowlthesexynewversion said:

My irritation is that the Club is run on a "let's throw it together and hope it works" mentality. And the fans like me whether its viewed as knee jerk or not, are just fed up of this approach. 

Think I’m one of the few who see it like you do mk.

It’s this approach which really gets to me and we never learn from it. Chansiri sacks Moore (whether rightly or wrongly) but then doesn’t have a Scooby Doo as to what comes next. He appoints Xisco because the situation is becoming desperate (look at Xisco’s record as a manager since Watford, if that doesn’t scream ‘panic appointment’ I don’t know what does, he’d been out of work since January).

So Xisco comes in and we enter the week before the new season, after we’ve been out to Spain and done the bulk of our pre-season work and build up, with only James as a signing. So the next week or so is spent bringing in players right, left and centre, which again is far from ideal - and that delay and rush to get things done at the last minute is already showing on the pitch. We don’t look anything like a team.

I don’t want to be a doom and gloom merchant as it is very, very early days in the season and far too early to panic and go off and one, but at the same time what has been seen so far is far from good enough, and rather than benchmark us against the opposition, I’m looking at how Ipswich and Plymouth have started the season, teams which we were on a par with form and points wise last season - and both have adapted far better to this league than we have, which is as much down to having a more settled, stable, consistent and longer term approach to things than we have.

Which is why I 100% agree with mk on this. We are far too short term as a club, there are no long term aims, no real forward plan, we just coast and drift from day to day as a club - and this is why I think DC will be the one who supporters go for if things don’t pick up soon, as it’s getting too much like Groundhog Day at SWFC. Patience is wearing thin and not all supporters have the patience and realistic viewpoint that posters on here have.

And my point is more if you do have a plan, an approach, a long term strategy, then guess what you can be successful in the Championship.

And these days it's not about one head coach building that dynasty, though a good one helps, but the owner / DoF.

And that we simply don't have. DC makes it worse by charging top dollar, for his experiment in short termism 

Bells, Moore came with an offer and wasn’t willing to negotiate it.. Chansiri says he was willing to. [that’s the only info we have in the public domain -currently not disputed]

Am not sure it’s a sacking or you can blame Chansiri fully for not having scoobies post such an event?

Then what is obvious given the constraints of operation and the huge amount of rumours doing the rounds as to why - we failed to appoint quickly.

We were behind the curve by finishing on the 29th May!! Playoff teams always are. DM was the reason for that screw up! 

So we were behind the curve, a manager hunt created more issues and then setting up the backroom took a little more time. 

Is it short term thinking to allow him to sort a backroom out before recruitment?

Am not sure it’s being labelled correctly - if DC sacks him this side of Xmas maybe that is short termism.. but not sure we can claim it now with any accuracy as being “throw it all together last minute”

• Like 3

2 hours ago, mkowlthesexynewversion said:

I doubt I was popular, certainly not with the owner. Yes Stalk is more gung ho in the opinions generated, but there were some on the football side that make decent observations.

But the other social media channels are probably worse. 

And I don't think there will be much patience shown in the fan base toward the new manager and indeed DC. No fans are, but the goodwill that exists post promotion is gone due to the actions of DC in the last few weeks. 

Some of the criticism is unjustified, but I consider that the short termism one is valid. 

But then the country politically is afflicted by the same trait and we wonder why that is fucked as well

Agree regards there is some sensible and rational comments on things like stalk that just gets lost amongst the infestation of fuckwittery. But regards DC his fuck ups have been done to death, its things like the Bruce fiasco and Moore to an extent I feel they were shit luck that he gets unfairly criticized for in my opinion.

• Like 1

I am going to lay it out like this.

We have played two league games, and had 20% possession in one, and then 28% possession in the other.

We have faced 38 shots, and had 13 shots ourselves.

We have been taken apart in both games with ease. That second half Hull performance was absolutely not acceptable on any level.

We have zero plan with the ball.

Theres two ways of looking at this, either the Championship is a much better standard than we anticipated, or, we are simply a lot worse than we thought. Or maybe it’s a combination of both.

What I want to see is a plan from the coach, one that means we keep the ball and don’t allow teams to overrun us, we need to address the horrific dearth of quality in our midfield. We need to address the lack of pace in wide areas, and we need to address the lack of a striker. I’m going to assume that Munoz has highlighted the same things which means that Chansiri has to go and spend money to fill those gaps.

If we can’t fill those gaps, then we need a plan that makes us ultra tight, and hard to break down, and gives us a chance of pinching games. But it all boils down to seeing a plan.

My issue, and I will repeat this, is that we look uncoached.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We all have opinions. The plan last couple of seasons was to get out of League 1 - but what was the next step if we did.

That is the short termism, cobble some players together to get out the league, cobble some players together to try and stay in the one above. 

Each time there is risk it won't work. And start the cycle again. It's the fact it's 25 odd years in reality, where with a selection of owners nothing has ever really changed, aside from other clubs wave at us as they pass. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, KrolMong said:

We have played two league games, and had 20% possession in one, and then 28% possession in the other.

We have been taken apart in both games with ease. That second half Hull performance was absolutely not acceptable on any level.

Theres two ways of looking at this, either the Championship is a much better standard than we anticipated, or, we are simply a lot worse than we thought. Or maybe it’s a combination of both.

What I want to see is a plan from the coach, one that means we keep the ball and don’t allow teams to overrun us, we need to address the horrific dearth of quality in our midfield. We need to address the lack of pace in wide areas, and we need to address the lack of a striker. I’m going to assume that Munoz has highlighted the same things which means that Chansiri has to go and spend money to fill those gaps.

If we can’t fill those gaps, then we need a plan that makes us ultra tight, and hard to break down, and gives us a chance of pinching games. But it all boils down to seeing a plan.

Good points, the fact is that the opposition coach and analysts will watch this and attack these weaknesses. Its not like the squad can work on improving with a free hand. 

2 minutes ago, mkowlthesexynewversion said:

We all have opinions. The plan last couple of seasons was to get out of League 1 - but what was the next step if we did.

That is the short termism, cobble some players together to get out the league, cobble some players together to try and stay in the one above. 

Each time there is risk it won't work. And start the cycle again. It's the fact it's 25 odd years in reality, where with a selection of owners nothing has ever really changed, aside from other clubs wave at us as they pass. 

Yep, I think that there was a desperate need to get out of L1 quick hence the experienced and physical route we took and a very formulaic game plan which basically wore most teams down. Plymouth and Ipswich (who threw more money than possibly anyone else in L1 history) took a longer time to get up but have built a side more adaptable to this league. We are now in transition and we haven’t seen some of the new players yet or who else we bring in up front but if we do manage to stay up then we are then perhaps more on a par with the style of those that have gone up with us ie younger, more athletic.

It’s difficult not to be concerned that we may not manage the transition that well based on what we are seeing and the 3rd/4th goals yesterday. Nearly everyone in the box for the 3rd and no challenge. 4th when playing more open on the ball we gifted a goal. But one way or another there will be improvement by hook or crook 

12 minutes ago, KrolMong said:

Thanks

I was just writing something similar. 

But you have put it far better than I was going to. 

23 minutes ago, KrolMong said:

Good points and the lack of clarity on what we seem to want to implement in the medium term and how it’s all intended to work fuels most of the anxiety after only 2 games and it is very early. However I think they do look coached to be in certain defensive positions which means they are probably thinking about what they are being asked/told to do even when someone’s about to get a relatively free strike in. Some of them are on each others top toes.

Reesh made a comment about Bannan drifting into the left back position. That was actually because Hull did a very good job of blocking the passing lanes down the middle of the pitch by having mobility in there. And they shuffled us left, Bakinson was dragged over and when they won it back, we were sprinting back to get shape back.

In short, they had a very simple plan to get the ball back quickly, and because of our lack of pace and lack of a target man, we couldn’t get up the pitch unless Iorfa or Famewo took a risk and tried to beat someone on the halfway line. The amount of times they won the ball back 40 yards out was particularly alarming. 

1 hour ago, KrolMong said:

Reesh made a comment about Bannan drifting into the left back position. That was actually because Hull did a very good job of blocking the passing lanes down the middle of the pitch by having mobility in there. And they shuffled us left, Bakinson was dragged over and when they won it back, we were sprinting back to get shape back.

In short, they had a very simple plan to get the ball back quickly, and because of our lack of pace and lack of a target man, we couldn’t get up the pitch unless Iorfa or Famewo took a risk and tried to beat someone on the halfway line. The amount of times they won the ball back 40 yards out was particularly alarming. 

The **** was injured as well. Get rid.

I’d get rid of the lot if I could and we could get better. Bannan can’t play in a two at this level and only brings value if you have the ball, Vaulks can’t pass a football 3 yards, and Byers is a full on crock who we won’t get 30 games from. That leaves us with Bakinson and the new fella.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, KrolMong said:

I’d get rid of the lot if I could and we could get better. Bannan can’t play in a two at this level and only brings value if you have the ball, Vaulks can’t pass a football 3 yards, and Byers is a full on crock who we won’t get 30 games from. That leaves us with Bakinson and the new fella.

"Full on crock"

😄

On 13/08/2023 at 05:29, Chelters said:

Was just thinking about our last two promotion seasons. When you analyse the squads that got us up, in the end only 3 or 4 at most made the step up with us each time.

Both seasons we were really struggling around Christmas time but made a couple of decent signings in January and stayed up.

Understandable that there is concern as two defeats is not a good way to start any season. But things can change.

I'll give you the first season under Sturrock but not the 2nd.

That side was more than capable of finishing a lot higher than it eventually did. That was purely down to the loan signing of Jay Bothroyd.

When that twat came in and played every game, it wasn't a surprise we went on a 5 game losing streak, then a 7 game losing streak and that our form only got better once he left. I swear the dressing room wasn't a nice place to be whilst he was here. 

Yes, many thought it would be a cracking loan signing but it turned out to be one of the worst loan signings we've ever made. I'd rather suffer a loan of Enoch Showumni again as at least he tried, unlike that waster.

• Like 1