Playoff parade.... Wednesday....

The Owls will celebrate with the city tomorrow, Wednesday 31 May.

After our epic win at Wembley against Barnsley secured promotion to the Championship, Wednesday will be celebrating with a victory parade from 5:30pm.

The party will parade through the streets of Sheffield on an open top bus, leaving Devonshire Green at 5:30pm to arrive at the Sheffield Town Hall for around 6:00pm.

With the route closed to traffic, the open top bus will travel at walking pace to allow the Owls to celebrate with fans along the route. Traffic disruption is expected in the city centre on the evening of the event and road closures will be in place.

Fans can join in the celebrations outside the Town Hall in a traffic-free Fan Zone. The Wednesday party will then attend a civic reception at the Town Hall.

Lord Mayor Colin Ross, said: “Congratulations to Sheffield Wednesday on their promotion to the Championship. A fantastic achievement for the Owls and one I am sure Wednesday fans will be keen to celebrate. The victory parade will be a brilliant opportunity to come together and celebrate another football victory for the city.

“Sheffield is the home of football and to see two victory parades in a month, with fans from both sides of the city coming together to celebrate their footballing heroes, is a real moment for the city. I am looking forward to Sheffield hosting lots of exciting matches next season.

“I’d like to remind fans to respect the city, each other and security staff if they’re coming into the city centre to watch the victory parade.”

Thank you for your amazing support and we’ll see you all there!

https://www.swfc.co.uk/news/2023/may/owls-to-celebrate-with-victory-parade/

I cannot get carried away with this. It’s a playoff promotion to the second division.

Promotion to the Prem? Yes. FA Cup or League Cup win? Yes. But not for this. Draw a line under it, and let’s get focussed on a tough season next season.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KrolMong said:

I cannot get carried away with this. It’s a playoff promotion to the second division.

Promotion to the Prem? Yes. FA Cup or League Cup win? Yes. But not for this. Draw a line under it, and let’s get focussed on a tough season next season.

I suppose be a few complaining if Sheffield City Council did not do anything as they did for Utd. I agree your sentiments but it gives a chance for local folk and those with kids that perhaps could not make it yesterday to get involved. 

(Just need Moore to proclaim he isn't leaving for a Midlands club then going 2 days later) 

• Haha 1

Just now, Laceups said:

Shame really cos I doubt they’ll get as many turn up as were at the ground yesterday. It’s a bad choice to be fair.

Half term though so be a few rock up - give the Blades something for their honours board that they took more to a Town hall parade 

Note for players - take the mic and don't even mention the other lot. It will annoy em much more 

• Like 2

Be interesting if the fans sing "top of the league and we fvcked it up", except they wont.

I suppose the majority of clubs in the EFL would celebrate it but Im with many on here, its simply putting us back where we should be at our lowest, even though we seem to have dropped into Div 3 on regular basis in the 50years I have been following them.

8 hours ago, Tank_Owl2,0 said:

Be interesting if the fans sing "top of the league and we fvcked it up", except they wont.

I suppose the majority of clubs in the EFL would celebrate it but Im with many on here, its simply putting us back where we should be at our lowest, even though we seem to have dropped into Div 3 on regular basis in the 50years I have been following them.

I put myself back in the shoes of the kids (not in a grooming Schofield way I hasten to add). My starting point was a Div 2 relegation 6 pointer, I was there to see us best Southend to avoid going into Div 4. We were poor and the tales of Wednesday once being good were folklore but also so distant.

Having see us progress, to show what we are capable of, my youngest sees it as incredulous that we finished 3rd in Div 1 despite me showing him the tables.

So for them this is the start of that journey. To them this is the greatest thing ever. Let them enjoy it 

• Like 5

Some very valid points above, and I can't disagree with any of them to be honest. Yeah, celebrating promotion after finishing 3rd with a 'bus tour' is a bit meh... BUT, winning a trophy at Wembley IMO elevates that achievement a little more. 

There are a generation of fans who've not seen us do anything like this. The youngest ones can't remember 2012, and definitely can't remember 2005. Core memories like these when you're young are the ones which made me stick with Wednesday (along with, Dad's a Wednesday fan, so are you), although, my core memory on the pitch was the promotion to Division 1 in the mid 80's..

14 minutes ago, HoylandOwl said:

Some very valid points above, and I can't disagree with any of them to be honest. Yeah, celebrating promotion after finishing 3rd with a 'bus tour' is a bit meh... BUT, winning a trophy at Wembley IMO elevates that achievement a little more. 

There are a generation of fans who've not seen us do anything like this. The youngest ones can't remember 2012, and definitely can't remember 2005. Core memories like these when you're young are the ones which made me stick with Wednesday (along with, Dad's a Wednesday fan, so are you), although, my core memory on the pitch was the promotion to Division 1 in the mid 80's..

"Dad's a Wednesday fan, so are you."   Love that!   🤣

Being on the pitch with my then 9 year old daughter after the Wycombe game in 2012 is the proudest and happiest I’ve ever been as a SWFC supporter. Seeing the absolute joy on her face and her jumping up and down and cheering eclipsed both the League Cup Final and beating the pigs at Wembley in 1993.

I get the parade, I really do. Not my cup of tea but if I’d still got that daughter as a 9 year old I’d be there in a flash. She would have loved it. That’s how SWFC memories are made, and let’s be honest, the younger generation of supporters, as has been said, have had mere crumbs to feed on when it comes to celebratory times with Wednesday, whereas quite a few of us on here have been fortunate enough to see us win (what was then) a major domestic trophy, challenge at the top end of the First Division/Premier League, play European football, watch some of the best players in the country turn out for us, and therefore enjoy the full cake on a fairly regular basis.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Owling_Wolf said:

"Dad's a Wednesday fan, so are you."   Love that!   🤣

As my wife now says to the grown up lads (well in age if not mentality) 

Dads a Wednesday fan, so are you, can you not quite be as miserable a fucker as he is 

But that is where the journey starts, my eldest took my Dad's old scarf to Wembley, my young un took one of mine that must be 40 years old now. 

• Like 2

one of my blades mates wa on the rise this morning.

Said I agree with his sentiment, but it tends to be expected after you win a final, whether play off or cup, but as they've done neither since horse drawn carriages were a thing i doubt he'd understand

• Haha 4

Whilst I still think it’s a bit tinpot, I can see why it’s in the club’s interest to do it because it encourages new supporters etc AND it’s a way of prolonging a positive news story about the club, let’s face it we’ve had enough negativity about the club in the last 25years.

Fair play to the fans for turning out. Great stuff and the players have earned the appreciation just like the fans have earned the celebration.

Well done to everyone connected with our fantastic club.

I bet we didn’t have one of our players being an absolute prick about the DRAWBS either unlike Brewster the classless prick.

3 hours ago, EBRA said:

So players didn’t shout anything about them lot I take?

Hopefully not. 

TBf to them a lot of pigs I know weren’t happy about what Brewster did. Saying our name should never have been brought up. Obviously I dropped a “obsessed much in”

13 minutes ago, Neville Facking Bartos said:

I need subtitles, well for one word at least, absolutely fuckin what? 

So you're the reason the BBC (I think it was) put subtitles on when Bannan was speaking recently but not when English people were chatting during the same video.

I can't remember the subject matter or who else was involved but it fucking annoyed me that the Scottish chap had added subtitles. Why? He's not speaking Spanish.

I can quite easily understand English people's accents, from all parts of the country. Don’t understand how others apparently find it such a challenge.

Obviously, if anyone has hearing issues then fair enough. However, they would also have difficulty deciphering the English accent too!

8 minutes ago, EastCraigsOwl said:

So you're the reason the BBC (I think it was) put subtitles on when Bannan was speaking recently but not when English people were chatting during the same video.

I can't remember the subject matter or who else was involved but it fucking annoyed me that the Scottish chap had added subtitles. Why? He's not speaking Spanish.

I can quite easily understand English people's accents, from all parts of the country. Don’t understand how others apparently find it such a challenge.

Obviously, if anyone has hearing issues then fair enough. However, they would also have difficulty deciphering the English accent too!

Och ya wee clarty bastard, ya honk worse than ma dug

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Neville Facking Bartos said:

I’d have said same for a Geordie, Scouser or any other type of accent where I struggled to hear what was said. 

Scouse is easy

"Eh eh eh, calm down la, lad lad I'm from liverpppppppoooool I used to spar with Mayweather lad'