Let’s not Fac Up against the Geordies

HoylandOwl

Just brilliant Wednesday, absolutely f*cking brilliant!!!

Yep, you can argue that their finishing let them down, but to a man we stood up to them and we worked our knackers off.

Some big displays out there tonight. Byers, Vaulks, Smith, Windass for his finishing - and then there was McGuinness, my god we are going to miss him.

But they all put a shift in and even Moore played it right but taking Dele off when he did.

Tonight is one of those rare nights as a Wednesday supporter when you feel 10 feet tall, when the hair stands up on the back of your neck, and when you buzzing from head to toe.

So proud of them! 

• Like 10

Ive been critical and others have as well about DMs tactics and subs, but I cant fault him today.

Every player was at least an 8 and most were a 10/10. I thought Smith and Windass were excellent as were the goalie and defence, with Vaulks and Byers ,magnificent (Barry who? :)). The weakest player performances being FDB and Jonson, I thought Adeniran was a bit better but seemed a little bit off the pace compared to others.

Every single one of that team deserve a pat on the back.

Kind of wishing Id gone now, the atmosphere seemed better but it always does when there are large numbers of away fans

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bellsview said:

Just brilliant Wednesday, absolutely f*cking brilliant!!!

Yep, you can argue that their finishing let them down, but to a man we stood up to them and we worked our knackers off.

Some big displays out there tonight. Byers, Vaulks, Smith, Windass for his finishing - and then there was McGuinness, my god we are going to miss him.

But they all put a shift in and even Moore played it right but taking Dele off when he did.

Tonight is one of those rare nights as a Wednesday supporter when you feel 10 feet tall, when the hair stands up on the back of your neck, and when you buzzing from head to toe.

So proud of them! 

This

8 minutes ago, Supercockle said:

Fantastic performance. Battled to the end. 

Some great displays from our boys. Great for that to be in front of the cameras too. 

Brilliant performance. Couldn't ask anymore they all gave everything. So proud of them. 

Tell you had an excellent game tonight, Reece James. Outstanding 

• Like 2

That was a proper masters display. Yep, we had a bit of luck in the last 20, but so many players stood up to Newcastle today.

Byers and Vaulks were very good. Vaulks first half and Byers second. James, Iorfa and Palmer were good. Smith and Windass were good second half. Dawson made some great stops.

But, Mark McGuinness was outstanding. He blocked, tackled, headed and read everything. If I am Moore and DC, I’m chucking money at Cardiff to sign him. He’s going to play at a high level regardless of us or Cardiff.

Some interesting observations…

Newcastle, until they brought the first team on, looked very disjointed. Windass’ movement was really good tonight, he could have got away a few times had the ball been better. Trippier targeted Dawson with his corners, he was telling the big lads to stand on his toes and was dropping it on him. Dele looks disinterested.

Deserved win. Stood up to Newcastle in that last 20 mins, but very even before that.

That was a great 1-0 victory (var result). I thought it would be our night when Chris Wood imagined he was an All Black.

Windass was unlucky not to have a 2nd hattrick in a row given the defenders touch in the first half to divert Palmers cross away from him. We had some decent chances as well that we were unlucky with. 

I know he's had his critics and I've been one when he's in a 3, but Iorfa was excellent. So many times he was in the right place to get the second ball away or when he had to clear from a Dawson save. Hats off to him.

Finally to Newcastle, Joelinton was by far their best player. Head and shoulders over the rest of them. 

Get the fuck in!!  

Had to work today.  As soon as I got off I checked the score.  2-1 around 85'.  Couldn't see it, so just had to keep refreshing the score on my phone.  Felt like a half hour until full time.  

Nice one, Wednesday.  Didn't see it coming.  

In terms of good enough for the Championship, Id say the following could hold their own (on todays and this seasons performances):

Vaulks, James, Byers, Windass, Smith (probably), Bannan & Palmer

Maybe could but we need to see more etc

Adeniran, Famewo, Dawson, Paterson, Ben H, Michael I & Iorfa

I think they will now be out of their depth

Johnson, Hunt & Brown

I think Gregory and FDB will go before next season starts if we go up.  

9 minutes ago, Neville Facking Bartos said:

Agree the ref was poor but the added in time was fair, I had the stopwatch out and started it after the treatment to whoever went down bang on 90

@Reeshwhat was the empty seats song? 

I mean its not easy to see how many empty seats there were on the TV but the North didnt look too sparse and neither did the South apart from the wings at the front. The usual places werent inhabited behind the columns on the KOP - they only get used when its a full house. As has been said, not as many home fans as the Cambridge game but still not bad given the squeeze people are probably feeling at the moment.

Edited by Tank_Owl2,0

FDB couldn't play his normal game tonight but formed an effective partnership with Vaulks and Byers for the first 30 mins or so. Then he got booked for that bit of frustration and he went wandering after that. 

I think Moore dragged him for the booking, to negate the chance of going to 10 men, as well as his disappearing act afterwards 

10 minutes ago, Neville Facking Bartos said:

Agree the ref was poor but the added in time was fair, I had the stopwatch out and started it after the treatment to whoever went down bang on 90

@Reeshwhat was the empty seats song? 

They're here, there every fuckingwhere empty seats.

From the club who regularly announced 50k and under 40k attended

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, HappyOwl said:

Seriously though tonight shows that we bring ourselves down to the level of the opposition in league one. Obviously tonight we raised our game n that 

Stats on BBC are like what we have facing teams, we sat in and took our chances as we have seen teams do to us

• Like 1

I agree Bartos re their goal. Keown on commentary said the player was offside from the initial flick header but then Dawson saves so all OK.

The players interfering with play as he's bang right in front of Dawson.

A great performance though.

UTO

3 minutes ago, Lee said:

I agree Bartos re their goal. Keown on commentary said the player was offside from the initial flick header but then Dawson saves so all OK.

The players interfering with play as he's bang right in front of Dawson.

A great performance though.

UTO

Keown was reading cliff notes all game

1 hour ago, Kiwi Owl said:

That was a great 1-0 victory (var result). I thought it would be our night when Chris Wood imagined he was an All Black.

Windass was unlucky not to have a 2nd hattrick in a row given the defenders touch in the first half to divert Palmers cross away from him. We had some decent chances as well that we were unlucky with. 

I know he's had his critics and I've been one when he's in a 3, but Iorfa was excellent. So many times he was in the right place to get the second ball away or when he had to clear from a Dawson save. Hats off to him.

Finally to Newcastle, Joelinton was by far their best player. Head and shoulders over the rest of them. 

I'm reminded by your "All Black" comment of thinking what a big side they are, especially after they brought their subs on in the 2nd half.  When they lined up their defensive wall at a free kick it actually looked more like a lineout at rugby!   That Botman was gynormous!   So even more well done, Wednesday, for triumphing over that factor, too. 

Anyway enjoyed that last night. I kept quiet about attending in person and went in the stadium in disguise. The good news was ending my Judas status for home results this season as well as a cracking performance and result. 

For some reason (ok I fucked up) my tickets were right at the back of the Kop. Could have shifted but enjoyed the different vantage point. 

Because there was space then the youngsters seemed to congregate, which I think helped with the atmosphere to start with. But obviously the goals and digging in after helped with that.

Then braved the 60 odd coaches and some big Geordie lads to get back to the car.

Was delighted for my young un, its not easy for him supporting Wednesday round here surrounded by Prem League plastic mates and me telling him stories of past glories but seeing current strife. Seeing his smile was great 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

That was the best bit for me last night…..after a few years of feeling like he was struggling to get enthusiastic about Wednesday my lad was loving it and was talking about telling all his mates at school.

I know not everyone on here has kids but those that do will know what it means to see them get that same joy from watching a game that you do. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1