Let’s not Fac Up against the Geordies

Pre match press comments from DM

First we have tomorrow's game, and then we will be having a conversation with Cardiff. 

"Whatever happens, we should be very happy with what Mark McGuinness has brought to the club, he's been tremendous."

"If he goes back to Cardiff, we wish him all the best and thank him for his contribution. 

"If he stays, we welcome him here with open arms." 

💬 "We don't expect Barry to be out for long, just a few weeks. 

"He'll follow the programme, as much as we all want to see him back, Baz has to take his medicine and recover."

💬 "As an individual, Eddie Howe is a credit for our professional game and it's great to see what he's doing in the Premier League.

"It's a fantastic game with two historical football clubs with big fan bases."

💬 "When I first saw the draw, I was just pleased for the fans. 

"An FA Cup game at Hillsborough, under the lights, live on TV. It will be a special occasion for everyone."

💬 "We want to progress for fixtures like this to become regular for the football club. 

"The youngsters tomorrow will get a taste for what their parents were used to. Our long term goals are to get the club back to those levels.

💬 "For Michael Smith, it's a special time. 

"Dreams can come true, and when the draw was made they certainly did for him."

It’s likely to be an all new defensive unit against Wycombe if McGuinness goes back.

We can either play that defensive unit tomorrow against Newcastle, or not risk them, play McGuinness and kids and see what happens.

League and ensuring we don’t lose defenders is key, so I’m more inclined to not risk anyone. I would rest Vaulks, Byers and Windass). I’d certainly start Adeniran,  Bakinson and Dele. I’d give Wilkes another game. Jack Hunt can also have a start.

Promotion is the only objective this season, even if we manage to get past the Geordies (which I cant see happening).

Id play MM if he can play, it might help us avoid a pasting. It also might make him slightly less attractive to returning to Cardiff, but everything points to that happening even if DM says its not final. 

Obviously Id 'love it if we beat them' but a draw say 1-1, 2-2 would be a good result.

Id play a fairly strong team but would protect anyone not 100%, eg Byers. Id certainly want to give Famewo more game time, he will need it if MM is going. Really hoping Brown doesnt get thrown in because hes a liability, but I could see DM thinking about it if he tries to rotate the players. I fully expect Iorfa to play and potentially with him as RWB and Palmer as right centre-half.

My team would be Dawson, Iorfa, Palmer, McGuiness, Famewo, James, Vaulks, Adeniran, Windass, Paterson, Smith Subs: Stockdale, Hunt, Johnson, Bakinson, Wilks, Dele-Bashiru & Shipston

Eddie isnt taking us lightly and certainly after last season KO by Cambridge, remember them? A glimmer of hope might be that theyve got a League Cup game mdiweek which I assume theyll fancy so maybe theyll keep some players back for that, but itll still be a strong squad.

Im going for 3-1 to the Geordies and 1-1 at H-T.

9 minutes ago, mkowlthesexynewversion said:

I would also factor in that pre the Man City game there was serious considerations around the forthcoming risk around covid. Wasn't that our last game pre lockdown ?

Last home game yeah, we got spanked by Brentford away a few days later. 

7 minutes ago, Tylluan said:

More interested to see how Elliot Anderson does against a decent league 1 midfield

Especially if he's coming to us, or a rival club

Eddie Howe said yesterday he wasn't going to loan him out anywhere as he's had a few niggles. Wouldn't be surprised if he went near the end of the window. 

Just now, owl4ever1867 said:

Everytime this lot fall over they get a FK

I was just going to put the exact same thing.

This is NOT football.

All it is about is fall down, then silly ref who has probably never played the game, gives a free kick.

Pisspoor

• Like 1

Definitely a lower threshold for what constitutes a foul when playing a Premier League side.

Good first half, decent end to end game.  We’re giving them a genuine argument.  Was hoping for a bit more from Fizz, maybe we’ll see it in the second.

The back three and Palmer have been very good defensively. Vaulks excellent. Dele not been good. I’d be hooking him on 60 mins if he doesn’t improve. The rest have been ok, but on the periphery.

Decent first half display as a group though.

If I was DC, and presuming he can, I’d Chuck half a million at Cardiff tomorrow for McGuinness.

4 minutes ago, KrolMong said:

The back three and Palmer have been very good defensively. Vaulks excellent. Dele not been good. I’d be hooking him on 60 mins if he doesn’t improve. The rest have been ok, but on the periphery.

Decent first half display as a group though.

If I was DC, and presuming he can, I’d Chuck half a million at Cardiff tomorrow for McGuinness.

Dele-Bashiru hooked for Adeniran