Women's Euros....

Got tickets for the semi at the stain. If all goes to plan it should be England, but I'm not holding me breath...

Typical opening game of a tournament I thought, we played some good stuff at times and should have won by more. You'd have expected Ellen White to do better with the chances she had in the first half.

11 hours ago, Owling_Wolf said:

Yes, they were. Strange for a team that's scored for fun this year. 

On the build up games they were playing through the phases, just like how they scored the goal, but after the goal went in it just seemed like they reverted to Neville ball. Get it wide then lump it in and hope White gets on the end

8 hours ago, Skamp said:

Interestingly, and hardly a surprise to many, but lots of the women admiting to be gay.  

Unlike the men's game where the silence is deafening. 

Always been a gay game, since it's resurrection. Coached a women's team for two seasons and was the only straight one there. Left cos the bitching over who was shagging who ended up getting in the way of the football. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, owl71 said:

New York Stadium hosting games in a “major international tournament” 🤣.  The only time the mini-sty is ever full is when Wednesday play there.

Hosts quite a few England 'youth' games, up to u19 level, and regularly sells out. 

Fiver a ticket though and kids for a quid. 

3 hours ago, Tank_Owl2,0 said:

I wonder how the Italians and French are finding  the cafe culture in Rotherham town centre today 😂

French team have based themselves in a hotel I used to work at. Most of the team broke curfew Friday night and went clubbing in Sheffield 

11 hours ago, Tylluan said:

Hosts quite a few England 'youth' games, up to u19 level, and regularly sells out. 

Fiver a ticket though and kids for a quid. 

Read or heard somewhere it was sold out but looked far from it to me.

Have a family member heavily involved in the organisation of the Rotherham games and made up for him they got the chance to host games.

• Like 1

On 09/07/2022 at 22:26, Skamp said:

Interestingly, and hardly a surprise to many, but lots of the women admiting to be gay.  

Unlike the men's game where the silence is deafening. 

See, that's what gets me - why do people think that there should be more gays in football?

If we accept that, for example, hairdressing as a profession tends to attract more gay men - isn't the reverse possible when it comes to football?

• Thanks 1

I’ve enjoyed watching it. I remember watching a womens game 20 years back and the standard was woeful. Technically it’s very good now, it’s much more competitive and it’s very well coached.

I guess the biggest obvious difference between the mens and womens game is just the athleticism and physicality.

3 hours ago, Andyben said:

See, that's what gets me - why do people think that there should be more gays in football?

If we accept that, for example, hairdressing as a profession tends to attract more gay men - isn't the reverse possible when it comes to football?

Because most lads start playing football at an age where they're likely to have not figured out their sexuality yet. Most girls start much later.

3 hours ago, Andyben said:

To be honest Andy, I think it’s more the stigma attached to people coming out in the mens game.

4 hours ago, Otto_Man said:

Because most lads start playing football at an age where they're likely to have not figured out their sexuality yet. Most girls start much later.

Used to be that way but the increase of girls participating at u6-u8 level is now massive. It's caught a lot of JFCs by surprise and some haven't coped as well as others but there are now clubs fielding 3 u8s teams where, a couple of years ago, they only had one. 

The problem now facing clubs is retention. A lot more girls bail out when it gets to single sex games. Some of that is down to competition for places, as the game hasn't grown with the numbers, but a lot of it is peer pressure from non playing mates. 

There's almost a reversal on gay attitudes where 14/15 year old girls don't want to be seen playing a 'gay' game. The hype around the number of elite players coming out is almost stigmatising the game for straight young teens. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, KrolMong said:

I’ve enjoyed watching it. I remember watching a womens game 20 years back and the standard was woeful. Technically it’s very good now, it’s much more competitive and it’s very well coached.

I guess the biggest obvious difference between the mens and womens game is just the athleticism and physicality.

I recently watched an u11s league game where an all girl's team absolutely destroyed the all boys team of a decent semi pro club purely through technique. It was like watching Barcelona play Barnsley. They started playing 'keep ball' when the score got to 5-0.

4 hours ago, Tylluan said:

Used to be that way but the increase of girls participating at u6-u8 level is now massive. It's caught a lot of JFCs by surprise and some haven't coped as well as others but there are now clubs fielding 3 u8s teams where, a couple of years ago, they only had one. 

The problem now facing clubs is retention. A lot more girls bail out when it gets to single sex games. Some of that is down to competition for places, as the game hasn't grown with the numbers, but a lot of it is peer pressure from non playing mates. 

There's almost a reversal on gay attitudes where 14/15 year old girls don't want to be seen playing a 'gay' game. The hype around the number of elite players coming out is almost stigmatising the game for straight young teens. 

Wholeheartedly agree with all that Ty, my daughter's club only had an U8's team for the first time last season, they have 2 now. There's still a lot of late comers, we lost 6 at the end of last season, yet had 8 come in, none of whom have played in a team before.

Club actually can't cope at the minute we've got too many players, one of the age groups has 20 for 14 spaces, can't set up another team as we've only one 9 a side pitch and 3 teams currently, we won't be able to schedule matches for 4 teams, pitch literally won't take it when we get to wet and wintery weather.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Otto_Man said:

Wholeheartedly agree with all that Ty, my daughter's club only had an U8's team for the first time last season, they have 2 now. There's still a lot of late comers, we lost 6 at the end of last season, yet had 8 come in, none of whom have played in a team before.

Club actually can't cope at the minute we've got too many players, one of the age groups has 20 for 14 spaces, can't set up another team as we've only one 9 a side pitch and 3 teams currently, we won't be able to schedule matches for 4 teams, pitch literally won't take it when we get to wet and wintery weather.

I suspect you might suddenly be having a lot more prospective players turning up for some reason...   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Owling_Wolf said:

You shouldn't have worn the Wednesday shirt and Smith mask, Hap!   

Daughter wore her pink away shirt but my son sang hi ho sheffield Wednesday at kick off two blokes turned round and said “oi ou wait a minute you nick all our best players then come in here singing that” I just laughed at them quite sad really as spoke to a few sensible Rotherham fans at half time and had a good conversation about it he was gutted and said that Smith will work hard for us and get some goals so 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️