Women's Euros....

1 hour ago, Tylluan said:

Quality goal from Stanway but Spain have thrown this away. Taking Esther off for a defensive midfielder helped England as Spain lost the deep lying runner

Ty, explain to me why anyone can get credited with an ’assist’ on the winner, when it was clearly a solo effort. BBC claiming it 

16 minutes ago, Beaconowl said:

Ty, explain to me why anyone can get credited with an ’assist’ on the winner, when it was clearly a solo effort. BBC claiming it 

Same as a goal for me.

It can be a tap in where someone else did all the work, it’s still credited to the player that put it over the line. So whoever passed to the scorer gets the assist whether it’s a defence splitting through ball or a two yard tap.

Not that anyone should get too excited about assists imo.

6 hours ago, cheat said:

Same as a goal for me.

It can be a tap in where someone else did all the work, it’s still credited to the player that put it over the line. So whoever passed to the scorer gets the assist whether it’s a defence splitting through ball or a two yard tap.

Not that anyone should get too excited about assists imo.

The only duller stat than assists, well after possession, is expected goals.

All of it is a nonsense really as boring cliche alert the only stat that matters is the scoreline when the ref blows the full time whistle

Cheat, I can't explain that one but Mk is right in that the only stat that counts is the scoreline. Shots on goal is another prime example. I think Spain ended up with 28 to England's 3. 

The commentators were garbage though. Soon after they'd scored the Spanish 10 saw the keeper off her line and executed a fantastic lob from out wide that the keeper had to back pedal and push onto the bar. Both commentators yelling miss hit cross and she didn't mean it. 

Am I alone in thinking that the keeper was at fault for England’s winner.

Decent run and shot, a bit of the Bobby Charlton’s, but it was hardly “top corner”. Where was the keeper? Poorly positioned way too far to the left. Should have been able to palm it away.

14 minutes ago, Skamp said:

I still don't understand what expected goals means. 

I understand it in the plain English sense but thats all. 

I think it refers to the quality of the chances a team has had, and how many of those they should be expected to take. 

There’s so much subjectivity and variables involved though such as performance of the opposition goalkeeper that it makes it irrelevant for me. 

2 minutes ago, M42Owl said:

Am I alone in thinking that the keeper was at fault for England’s winner.

Decent run and shot, a bit of the Bobby Charlton’s, but it was hardly “top corner”. Where was the keeper? Poorly positioned way too far to the left. Should have been able to palm it away.

I thought the same at the time. But as they say, a goals a goal. 

13 minutes ago, Skamp said:

I still don't understand what expected goals means. 

I understand it in the plain English sense but thats all. 

Expected goals is an interesting stat, but it’s subjective.
Who decides that a chance is 90% likely to turn into a goal or 5%? I suspect that it’s Opta that decides, but what qualifies them to decide? What criteria do they use?

1 minute ago, LiamOwl said:

I think it refers to the quality of the chances a team has had, and how many of those they should be expected to take. 

There’s so much subjectivity and variables involved though such as performance of the opposition goalkeeper that it makes it irrelevant for me. 

It's all spotty youth playing FIFA 22 crap isn't it? 

• Like 2

What a comeback that was last night. At half time we'd hardly had a kick.  I was very impressed with Spain for about the first hour: more organised, harder working, better tactics and they got stuck into our key players quite cynically early on - Beth Mead was clogged two or three times with nominal interest in the ball.  (Highly amusing that they were claiming foul play over the equalising goal, and that at least one of them could see the alleged incident from the subs bench in the stand better than multiple cameras could!)  When Mead was subbed, Spain must have felt that they'd cracked it completely. At half time England hadn't had a legit effort on goal.

Whilst we'd got into the game later in the 2nd half, we were still going out imminently before we suddenly scored. Our substitutes had a major effect and started changing the game from their introduction. Fitting then that it was two subs that provided the saving goal.  

Into extra time and it was largely England attacking but that opened space for slick Spain counter attacks.  Everyone will have seen the second England goal: straight out of the Bobby Charlton 1966 playbook. And no, he wouldn't have worried about what the rival keeper did either.  

Wonderful to see Spain now attacking desperately, complaining about everything, long balls and being run off the ball expertly for goal kicks. The tables had turned completely!  So good to see. The show goes on!   

Millie Bright had a major game in defence. She really has come a long way over the last few years.  Keira Walsh had a massive second half after being targetted and shut down in the first. Had to go off with serious cramp long before the end but later dancing with the others so hopefully ok.  Rachel Daly was also targetted at full back, double teamed, including some thuggery. Hopefully she'll be ok next round.  Of the subs, Russo, highly mobile and putting herself about at centre forward was much less to Spain's liking and Toone scored the vital equaliser neatly.  One player I really respect is the new skipper, Leah Williamson. Classy player, impressive character.  Now we can relax and enjoy the other q/f's.  

Edited by Owling_Wolf

Having reflected on it for a few days, I think the manager deserves some credit, the subs really changed the game. Obviously the ones you mentioned, but Alex Greenwood (who I'm not a huge fan of) also, thought she changed the game for the better too. Being able to bring on the experience of Jill Scott and Nikita Parrish at the end to see it out too.

I'll be honest women's football isn't for me but I've watched all the England games.

There's some positives like the lack of dissent and feigning injuries and the massive improvement of technical standards compared to what I've seen in the past.

The keeping is still very very poor though.

Negatives are the over hyping and bullshit claims by commentators and pundits alike plus the family atmosphere but I get why that is.

As a tournament it has been a success and the Dutch/Swedes embraced our city, the council who last year refused to accommodate the clamour for a big screen for the men's team have been bending over backwards this time so that hopefully stays should Gaz get his team deep in the tournament in Qatar but doubt it

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Reesh said:

I'll be honest women's football isn't for me but I've watched all the England games.

There's some positives like the lack of dissent and feigning injuries and the massive improvement of technical standards compared to what I've seen in the past.

Negatives are the over hyping and bullshit claims by commentators and pundits alike plus the family atmosphere but I get why that is.

As a tournament it has been a success and the Dutch/Swedes embraced our city, the council who last year refused to accommodate the clamour for a big screen for the men's team have been bending over backwards this time so that hopefully stays should Gaz get his team deep in the tournament in Qatar but doubt it

Never understood why they use the same size nets as the men's game. Women are smaller than men, Chris Turner was always considered small for a keeper and he's 5'10". The lionesses don't have a keeper over 5'8". Plus, you think it's tough finding a keeper for a lads team, it's nigh on impossible for a girls team...

7 minutes ago, Otto_Man said:

Never understood why they use the same size nets as the men's game. Women are smaller than men, Chris Turner was always considered small for a keeper and he's 5'10". The lionesses don't have a keeper over 5'8". Plus, you think it's tough finding a keeper for a lads team, it's nigh on impossible for a girls team...

That's surprised me. Ellie Roebuck looks miles taller than that.

On 21/07/2022 at 08:27, M42Owl said:

Expected goals is an interesting stat, but it’s subjective.
Who decides that a chance is 90% likely to turn into a goal or 5%? I suspect that it’s Opta that decides, but what qualifies them to decide? What criteria do they use?

Previous data decides. You look at past matches - I assume the model for this looks at a huge number - and the proportion of times a particular situation led to a goal will be the contribution to xG. 

1 hour ago, Fowls said:

Previous data decides. You look at past matches - I assume the model for this looks at a huge number - and the proportion of times a particular situation led to a goal will be the contribution to xG. 

I mean I understand the concept, but its still a stat for the sake of a stat. I can come away from a game and ponder how did we lose that, or jeez we got away with that. These stats will show my judgement was right but its that way round.

It may provide an excuse for the manager that is it.

What these stats never show is the last 5 minute impact. The previous 85 minutes you can have all the stats you want, but they go out the window 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Reesh said:

Agree re the goalkeeping, hence why I don't watch it. The outfield players can be as skilful and tricky as they like but if the lassie between the sticks is worse than anything I've seen in goals for Wednesday, the whole game becomes a bogey so they can forget it.

As to your second point, are you doubting the Council will show the same attitude re the big screen or that Southgate will take England deep into the tournament? Or both?!

6 hours ago, mkowlthesexynewversion said:

I mean I understand the concept, but its still a stat for the sake of a stat. I can come away from a game and ponder how did we lose that, or jeez we got away with that. These stats will show my judgement was right but its that way round.

It may provide an excuse for the manager that is it.

What these stats never show is the last 5 minute impact. The previous 85 minutes you can have all the stats you want, but they go out the window 

Speaking more generally, data driven analysis is at its most useful when it goes against what you think or previously thought. It does not mean that you should immediately change your opinion, but that you should try to understand why the difference exists. xG (or most of its components) isn’t useful for me, but if a club aren’t using data in their analysis of performances they’re at a severe disadvantage. 

I’ve only used data that describes people and whilst one person is not necessarily predictable, groups of people with similar characteristics are - hugely so. Applying that to football, a game can have a mistake, a bit of quality, or a controversial refereeing decision that decides the game and whilst they can’t be predicted, over several games their impact is lessened. It gives you another way of looking at the game, or a series of games, without necessarily focusing on results.  

As a fan though, it either confirms what you saw, or maybe gives you a hint that you might be a little biased. 

On 09/07/2022 at 22:26, Skamp said:

Interestingly, and hardly a surprise to many, but lots of the women admiting to be gay.  

Unlike the men's game where the silence is deafening. 

It's a testosterone fuelled physical game, all this 'there should be more gay footballers' is utter crap (yes there will be some but not the stupid % the LGBTQ+GODKNOWSWHAT think there should be), and (IMHO) if women are testosterone fuelled they are more likely to be gay.

Mrs Sentinel taught cabin crew at college where they also had a hairdressing course and floristry, and she said to a man all the blokes on those courses were gay-because they aren't testosterone fuelled careers, rather the opposite. 🤔

Edited by The Sentinel

On 11/07/2022 at 10:44, Andyben said:

See, that's what gets me - why do people think that there should be more gays in football?

If we accept that, for example, hairdressing as a profession tends to attract more gay men - isn't the reverse possible when it comes to football?

Nail on head mate