Jump to content

Women's Euros....


Recommended Posts

These celebrations are great to see, seeing kids get to witness this in the birth city of the game is a big fat fucking two fingers up to the local council who make no fucking effort to make that little fact known.

The FA deserves a lot of great amount of praise for the investment they've put into the women's game from the grassroots level up.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Reesh said:

These celebrations are great to see, seeing kids get to witness this in the birth city of the game is a big fat fucking two fingers up to the local council who make no fucking effort to make that little fact known.

The FA deserves a lot of great amount of praise for the investment they've put into the women's game from the grassroots level up.

Great post! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Reesh said:

The FA deserves a lot of great amount of praise for the investment they've put into the women's game from the grassroots level up.

Unfortunately any there is still goes to the team's affiliated to men's clubs.

My u13 girls are being asked to wear their shirts for a third successive season, unless I can find a sponsor willing to pay for them.

The SGP facilities that were built for girls football prioritise boys, the one at Graves doesn't even have a resident girls team (they're supposed to) and refused to help us when the 3g pitch we use was condemned leaving us nowhere to train, but Chesterfield boys academy never struggle to get a pitch there...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Otto_Man said:

First time my daughter's been to the stain and she's disgusted. Says the toilets don't flush and are full to the brim.

I'll never get that image out of my head now.  😬  

Be aware, Otto, I may seek reparations!   😉

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Tylluan said:

I think it's that whole impact thing Otto. Opposition have one eye on the bench whenever she's warming up. But I also think this will be White's last tournament, especially if they win. 

Both. 👍

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This team and this tournament, I can't tell you how much I've enjoyed it.  It's far from just the results, it's been an absolute joy to watch our lot but there have been so many other watchable games too.  I'm going to really, really miss it once it's over.  Absolute credit to our players and especially the manager: she kept her head tonight through that torrid start and skin of their teeth defending / luck.  But from the moment we scored, GET IN, ENGLAND!   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Whilst I'm still at it, can I just say, despite the opponents tactical / technical efforts to stop her early on, Spain and now Sweden: Keira Walsh. The spider at the centre of the web.  Not often getting mentioned but what a vital England player. Superb.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Reesh said:

These celebrations are great to see, seeing kids get to witness this in the birth city of the game is a big fat fucking two fingers up to the local council who make no fucking effort to make that little fact known.

The FA deserves a lot of great amount of praise for the investment they've put into the women's game from the grassroots level up.

Good post mate. My boy mentioned the semi final being at the lane and England potentially being there if we won the group, tickets were sold out by then so we did the next best thing and went on Dev Green. Really good atmosphere, nice chilled family vibe, potentially see some families drifting from watching mens game for that reason, think if they win it that will play a part too. Then there’s the cost to consider too

1 hour ago, Otto_Man said:

 

My u13 girls are being asked to wear their shirts for a third successive season, unless I can find a sponsor willing to pay for them.

Not exclusive to girls that, a problem for a lot of grassroots club irrespective of whether they’re girls or boys 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It is an interesting topic, because for some the intent behind promoting the womens game will be all about the money that could be made out of it. I guess as a professional and you see what men can earn in comparison, then I am not dismissing why they should not have that objective.

But to me its the wrong objective. A wide consensus on here is how money, lots of it, as it really enhanced the joy of mens football. I mean the profile has never been higher etc etc but do we actually enjoy it more. I probably know more fans that are now former fans because of the money.

My point is that the commentators in a broad sense on womens football should focus on the positives of fan engagement and participation, the joy of the game. The fact you can have heroes that are a bit like you. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Fan engagement is one thing and maybe, initially, there'll be an influx of families dipping their toes in the women's domestic game, but they may soon experience a disconnect between what they're watching now and what they'll watch domestically. 

The highest placed local team are Utd ladies in the Championship. Wednesday, Barnsley, Millmoor are all about tier 6 or 7 on the new pyramid. Donny Belles are tier 4. 

It may drive an increase in game tourism, as new fans start following Man City etc to keep watching their heroes, but that could mean local clubs miss out on the increased footfall and an opportunity is lost

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, HoylandOwl said:

Ian Wright is bang on with what he said post game last night. 
if this tournament doesn’t leave a legacy for girls/women to get involved in football, then there’s something seriously wrong.

Didn't the pundits say the same about most sports after London 2012?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, Tylluan said:

Fan engagement is one thing and maybe, initially, there'll be an influx of families dipping their toes in the women's domestic game, but they may soon experience a disconnect between what they're watching now and what they'll watch domestically. 

The highest placed local team are Utd ladies in the Championship. Wednesday, Barnsley, Millmoor are all about tier 6 or 7 on the new pyramid. Donny Belles are tier 4. 

It may drive an increase in game tourism, as new fans start following Man City etc to keep watching their heroes, but that could mean local clubs miss out on the increased footfall and an opportunity is lost

This is the big problem the womens’ game has in my opinion.

it is growing at a time when there are a few super rich clubs who can pump money into it. Even more so than the mens game there is a huge disparity in the level between the top teams and the rest. 
As we saw last night there is a good standard and level of entertainment right at the top but you don’t have to go far down for that level to drop dramatically.

And without that competitive edge that runs right through the divisions it will never have the same appeal. Shame really. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, Kiwi Owl said:

image.thumb.png.dc85235bc97116b91d0c2af633067a91.png

Note that this headline eventually got changed I believe but this was the original when it was first published.

My favourite response was someone posting a pic of the womens relay team and why the Guardian wasn't questioning the lack of diversity ie white lasses in that squad.

It is also racism really presuming that non white lasses can't be inspired by white women, basically inferring skin colour is important in that decision.

Simple fact in football, if you are good enough you will be playing 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The French have always had a habit of filling their teams with players from their overseas territories and this team is no different. The captain is from Martinique and there's five others, out of the 15 black players, that weren't born in 'Mother France'. 

Then there's the make up of women's sport in France. Sport is seen as a a way of escaping from the tenements for a lot of immigrant descent. Sport for middle/upper class white French society is seen as a distraction. If they take anything up then it tends to be equestrian or racquet sports. Football is definitely seen as a 'ghetto' sport by the French middle class

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, mkowlthesexynewversion said:

My favourite response was someone posting a pic of the womens relay team and why the Guardian wasn't questioning the lack of diversity ie white lasses in that squad.

It is also racism really presuming that non white lasses can't be inspired by white women, basically inferring skin colour is important in that decision.

Simple fact in football, if you are good enough you will be playing 

In the recent major BBC programme about womens' football - recent past, present and near future - presented by and all interviews by Alex Scott, there is an interview with a (former?) black player on the subject mentioned above: inspiration by direct representation.  I didn't know her but she directly expresssed her view that she really struggled in football because she couldn't ever see the likes of herself already 'up there' and giving her the inspiration she needed.

If you haven't already seen that documentary it's still available on the Red Button and still being pushed by the main stations. I thought overall it was excellent and very enjoyable - well worth watching - with only a couple of cringeworthy moments, (for me.)  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, Owling_Wolf said:

In the recent major BBC programme about womens' football - recent past, present and near future - presented by and all interviews by Alex Scott, there is an interview with a (former?) black player on the subject mentioned above: inspiration by direct representation.  I didn't know her but she directly expresssed her view that she really struggled in football because she couldn't ever see the likes of herself already 'up there' and giving her the inspiration she needed.

If you haven't already seen that documentary it's still available on the Red Button and still being pushed by the main stations. I thought overall it was excellent and very enjoyable - well worth watching - with only a couple of cringeworthy moments, (for me.)  

Basically she was shit and it was a good excuse to use lack of inspiration 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Kiwi Owl said:

image.thumb.png.dc85235bc97116b91d0c2af633067a91.png

Note that this headline eventually got changed I believe but this was the original when it was first published.

This type of story really fucks me off, as MK says why not question the lack of diversity in the relay team?

What next? Moaning because of the lack of gender neutral players?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’m all for England doing well, and I get the interest in the game today. But come on Sky. I don’t need to see the bus travelling on the motorway. 
 

And I’d say the same if it was the mens team.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...