Women's Euros....

These celebrations are great to see, seeing kids get to witness this in the birth city of the game is a big fat fucking two fingers up to the local council who make no fucking effort to make that little fact known.

The FA deserves a lot of great amount of praise for the investment they've put into the women's game from the grassroots level up.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Reesh said:

These celebrations are great to see, seeing kids get to witness this in the birth city of the game is a big fat fucking two fingers up to the local council who make no fucking effort to make that little fact known.

The FA deserves a lot of great amount of praise for the investment they've put into the women's game from the grassroots level up.

Great post! 

17 minutes ago, Reesh said:

Unfortunately any there is still goes to the team's affiliated to men's clubs.

My u13 girls are being asked to wear their shirts for a third successive season, unless I can find a sponsor willing to pay for them.

The SGP facilities that were built for girls football prioritise boys, the one at Graves doesn't even have a resident girls team (they're supposed to) and refused to help us when the 3g pitch we use was condemned leaving us nowhere to train, but Chesterfield boys academy never struggle to get a pitch there...

This team and this tournament, I can't tell you how much I've enjoyed it.  It's far from just the results, it's been an absolute joy to watch our lot but there have been so many other watchable games too.  I'm going to really, really miss it once it's over.  Absolute credit to our players and especially the manager: she kept her head tonight through that torrid start and skin of their teeth defending / luck.  But from the moment we scored, GET IN, ENGLAND!   

It is an interesting topic, because for some the intent behind promoting the womens game will be all about the money that could be made out of it. I guess as a professional and you see what men can earn in comparison, then I am not dismissing why they should not have that objective.

But to me its the wrong objective. A wide consensus on here is how money, lots of it, as it really enhanced the joy of mens football. I mean the profile has never been higher etc etc but do we actually enjoy it more. I probably know more fans that are now former fans because of the money.

My point is that the commentators in a broad sense on womens football should focus on the positives of fan engagement and participation, the joy of the game. The fact you can have heroes that are a bit like you. 

Fan engagement is one thing and maybe, initially, there'll be an influx of families dipping their toes in the women's domestic game, but they may soon experience a disconnect between what they're watching now and what they'll watch domestically. 

The highest placed local team are Utd ladies in the Championship. Wednesday, Barnsley, Millmoor are all about tier 6 or 7 on the new pyramid. Donny Belles are tier 4. 

It may drive an increase in game tourism, as new fans start following Man City etc to keep watching their heroes, but that could mean local clubs miss out on the increased footfall and an opportunity is lost

23 minutes ago, HoylandOwl said:

Ian Wright is bang on with what he said post game last night. 
if this tournament doesn’t leave a legacy for girls/women to get involved in football, then there’s something seriously wrong.

Didn't the pundits say the same about most sports after London 2012?

57 minutes ago, Tylluan said:

Fan engagement is one thing and maybe, initially, there'll be an influx of families dipping their toes in the women's domestic game, but they may soon experience a disconnect between what they're watching now and what they'll watch domestically. 

The highest placed local team are Utd ladies in the Championship. Wednesday, Barnsley, Millmoor are all about tier 6 or 7 on the new pyramid. Donny Belles are tier 4. 

It may drive an increase in game tourism, as new fans start following Man City etc to keep watching their heroes, but that could mean local clubs miss out on the increased footfall and an opportunity is lost

This is the big problem the womens’ game has in my opinion.

it is growing at a time when there are a few super rich clubs who can pump money into it. Even more so than the mens game there is a huge disparity in the level between the top teams and the rest. 
As we saw last night there is a good standard and level of entertainment right at the top but you don’t have to go far down for that level to drop dramatically.

And without that competitive edge that runs right through the divisions it will never have the same appeal. Shame really. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Kiwi Owl said:

image.thumb.png.dc85235bc97116b91d0c2af633067a91.png

Note that this headline eventually got changed I believe but this was the original when it was first published.

My favourite response was someone posting a pic of the womens relay team and why the Guardian wasn't questioning the lack of diversity ie white lasses in that squad.

It is also racism really presuming that non white lasses can't be inspired by white women, basically inferring skin colour is important in that decision.

Simple fact in football, if you are good enough you will be playing 

The French have always had a habit of filling their teams with players from their overseas territories and this team is no different. The captain is from Martinique and there's five others, out of the 15 black players, that weren't born in 'Mother France'. 

Then there's the make up of women's sport in France. Sport is seen as a a way of escaping from the tenements for a lot of immigrant descent. Sport for middle/upper class white French society is seen as a distraction. If they take anything up then it tends to be equestrian or racquet sports. Football is definitely seen as a 'ghetto' sport by the French middle class

1 hour ago, mkowlthesexynewversion said:

My favourite response was someone posting a pic of the womens relay team and why the Guardian wasn't questioning the lack of diversity ie white lasses in that squad.

It is also racism really presuming that non white lasses can't be inspired by white women, basically inferring skin colour is important in that decision.

Simple fact in football, if you are good enough you will be playing 

In the recent major BBC programme about womens' football - recent past, present and near future - presented by and all interviews by Alex Scott, there is an interview with a (former?) black player on the subject mentioned above: inspiration by direct representation.  I didn't know her but she directly expresssed her view that she really struggled in football because she couldn't ever see the likes of herself already 'up there' and giving her the inspiration she needed.

If you haven't already seen that documentary it's still available on the Red Button and still being pushed by the main stations. I thought overall it was excellent and very enjoyable - well worth watching - with only a couple of cringeworthy moments, (for me.)  

44 minutes ago, Owling_Wolf said:

In the recent major BBC programme about womens' football - recent past, present and near future - presented by and all interviews by Alex Scott, there is an interview with a (former?) black player on the subject mentioned above: inspiration by direct representation.  I didn't know her but she directly expresssed her view that she really struggled in football because she couldn't ever see the likes of herself already 'up there' and giving her the inspiration she needed.

If you haven't already seen that documentary it's still available on the Red Button and still being pushed by the main stations. I thought overall it was excellent and very enjoyable - well worth watching - with only a couple of cringeworthy moments, (for me.)  

Basically she was shit and it was a good excuse to use lack of inspiration 

7 hours ago, Kiwi Owl said:

image.thumb.png.dc85235bc97116b91d0c2af633067a91.png

Note that this headline eventually got changed I believe but this was the original when it was first published.

This type of story really fucks me off, as MK says why not question the lack of diversity in the relay team?

What next? Moaning because of the lack of gender neutral players?