Can we smash the Potters this weekend?

Not sure the lads on the pitch could have done too much more, although decision making was somewhat questionable at times, I think the wind played a factor.

I would have hooked Windass at half time, he's not looked quite the same since he's come back from injury. 

I'm trying to be pragmatic, but it felt like a missed opportunity today, that said I think I would have expected 3 points from the last two home games so we're only a point off that. 

Be reyt

2 hours ago, MAL said:

Might as well give it up. 

If he really HAD to give us a penalty, he would make us retake it until we missed. 

Bentasfook

We can’t blame our position this season on the officiating today but I definitely think there was bias today, just the subtle enough to fly under the assessor radar. The goal that was disallowed was bollox, you see centre halves pretending to be pushed all the time. Ugbo had the same situation in the 2nd but didn’t make contact with his head, so the ref didn’t give anything ( not that there was anything to give) - guess what would have happened if he had connected and scored.

As for the letting them time waste and the added injury time it was joke.

Insult to injury was not getting a pen for the hand ball to then see him give handball a few minutes later that was even less accidental by Pol.

The number of fouls compared to ours also tells a story. Johnson get the ball and had no real follow through but gets booked in what we the first foul of any significance I can recall, but by this stage they’d fouled our players 6 or 7 times in the first 30-35mins.

Then the debacle with their keeper flattening their defender when we had the ball on the edge of their box, so he gives the ball to them just about sums it up.

If it’s not bias he was very inconsistent, either way he can go #&£@*+ 

Deflated was the overriding emotion walking out of the ground. But, that late Bristol City equaliser gives us hope.

As already said, we should have killed it off. Arguably Ugbo should have scored, although it was a fantastic stop by Iversen, Smith was unlucky. Windass blazing over the bar from a decent spot, to name but 3 chances.

Stoke were as bad as anything we’ve seen this season at S6. 

But. We’re unbeaten in 3, only a point back. It’s still on. And VERY possible to achieve. 

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, Tank_Owl2,0 said:

We can’t blame our position this season on the officiating today but I definitely think there was bias today, just the subtle enough to fly under the assessor radar. The goal that was disallowed was bollox, you see centre halves pretending to be pushed all the time. Ugbo had the same situation in the 2nd but didn’t make contact with his head, so the ref didn’t give anything ( not that there was anything to give) - guess what would have happened if he had connected and scored.

As for the letting them time waste and the added injury time it was joke.

Insult to injury was not getting a pen for the hand ball to then see him give handball a few minutes later that was even less accidental by Pol.

The number of fouls compared to ours also tells a story. Johnson get the ball and had no real follow through but gets booked in what we the first foul of any significance I can recall, but by this stage they’d fouled our players 6 or 7 times in the first 30-35mins.

Then the debacle with their keeper flattening their defender when we had the ball on the edge of their box, so he gives the ball to them just about sums it up.

If it’s not bias he was very inconsistent, either way he can go #&£@*+ 

Wasn’t the ref also from the Stoke area?

As I have posted before, today’s game was my first match for 10 years. 
Enjoyed the first half but, as MK said, second half we seemed very leggy towards the end.

One note, I thought the stadium looked very tired today. 

Good to see a few familiar faces 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Beaconowl said:

As I have posted before, today’s game was my first match for 10 years. 
Enjoyed the first half but, as MK said, second half we seemed very leggy towards the end.

One note, I thought the stadium looked very tired today. 

Good to see a few familiar faces 

What did you make of Sheffield and Ecclesfield, if you found time to see 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mkowl said:

What did you make of Sheffield and Ecclesfield, if you found time to see 

I’m staying in your neck of the woods, just outside MK. I now understand your frustration with the M1 roadworks.

As for Ecclesfield, I used to live on Monteney Gardens, bought the house as a new build. I was sad to see all the playing fields have been built on, used to enjoy watching the Sunday games. What the fuck is that monstrosity of an Asda built in Parsons Cross? Similar to the eyesore that the Sainsbury’s is at the bottom of Halifax Road.

As for the game, I thought the atmosphere was decent in the first half. We did everything but score. Totally mirrors what I have been watching on TV, we need a goal scorer and a bit of luck. 

At halftime went for my traditional p*ss. It was sad that those toilets are in the same mess they were 35 years ago, bar a lick of paint.

The second half started in a similar vein. Some great build up and crosses, but no end product. Then Palmer scored, I thought we would go on from that, but sadly seem to not be able to push on for the second. Then they scored (TBH they should have gone on and won it IMO). They seemed to slice us open in midfield with ease before their striker was left one on one with Beadle. I was sat on the Kop and didn’t have a good view, and haven’t seen the highlights, but it looked a bad goal to concede. 

All in all, it was good to be back. A couple of decent beers, not weak frozen stuff. But I think my Canadian wife summed things up, post match, quite nicely. 1. The game moves a lot quicker in real life, compared to TV. 2. The singing and chanting is a lot more spontaneous than the plastic stuff we listen to at home. 3. (And probably most importantly) “How the hell do you do this year over year and still keep watching?” Good point well made.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Beaconowl said:

I’m staying in your neck of the woods, just outside MK. I now understand your frustration with the M1 roadworks.

As for Ecclesfield, I used to live on Monteney Gardens, bought the house as a new build. I was sad to see all the playing fields have been built on, used to enjoy watching the Sunday games. What the fuck is that monstrosity of an Asda built in Parsons Cross? Similar to the eyesore that the Sainsbury’s is at the bottom of Halifax Road.

As for the game, I thought the atmosphere was decent in the first half. We did everything but score. Totally mirrors what I have been watching on TV, we need a goal scorer and a bit of luck. 

At halftime went for my traditional p*ss. It was sad that those toilets are in the same mess they were 35 years ago, bar a lick of paint.

The second half started in a similar vein. Some great build up and crosses, but no end product. Then Palmer scored, I thought we would go on from that, but sadly seem to not be able to push on for the second. Then they scored (TBH they should have gone on and won it IMO). They seemed to slice us open in midfield with ease before their striker was left one on one with Beadle. I was sat on the Kop and didn’t have a good view, and haven’t seen the highlights, but it looked a bad goal to concede. 

All in all, it was good to be back. A couple of decent beers, not weak frozen stuff. But I think my Canadian wife summed things up, post match, quite nicely. 1. The game moves a lot quicker in real life, compared to TV. 2. The singing and chanting is a lot more spontaneous than the plastic stuff we listen to at home. 3. (And probably most importantly) “How the hell do you do this year over year and still keep watching?” Good point well made.

Whereabouts I live between MK and Aylesbury - probably not far from where you are stopping !

But interesting your views on the stadium, it is tired but we are at the stage that a lick of paint will just keep it awake a bit. 

I get a lot of stick, but Stadium MK is exactly the type of stadium we need to develop. Completely from scratch, 32k capacity 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, mkowl said:

Whereabouts I live between MK and Aylesbury - probably not far from where you are stopping !

But interesting your views on the stadium, it is tired but we are at the stage that a lick of paint will just keep it awake a bit. 

I get a lot of stick, but Stadium MK is exactly the type of stadium we need to develop. Completely from scratch, 32k capacity 

We are staying at my sisters who lives in Bierton.

Edited by Beaconowl

Just now, Beaconowl said:

We are staying at my sisters who lives in Brierton. 

My lad went to school in Wing so still has a few mates that live there. Bet you have noticed the change in Aylesbury - huge housing estate next to where you are

1 hour ago, Hirstys 12th Pint said:

Just rewatched the Stoke goal from yesterday.  So many things wrong tactically with it and absolutely gutting.

Palmer, Ihiekwe, Vaulks and possibly Beadle all culpable.

To be fair, I thought Famewo should've done better, Palmer sprinted and nearly blocked it, whilst Famewo just stuck a leg out.

In the 1st half, that was the most 1 sided game I've seen in a long time, how we weren't 2/3-0 up at that point I don't know.

Ugbo - should've scored, their keeper knew nothing about it.

Smith Goal disallowed (and still don't know why - their defender didn't even jump for the ball)

Smith - hitting the bar.

I'm not going to start blaming the officials - he weren't good yesterday, infact some of his decisions were mind blowing, we're on this position as we can't hit the net - despite creating chance after chance, you only have to see how many goals we've scored this season to see how we've struggled.

At half time I would've pulled Windass & put Gassama on, we  needed somebody to carry the ball and run at the Stoke defence, it was badly lacking throughout the game yesterday.

I saw Palmer score, then had to nip out for my Scan, no sooner did I get in the car & start driving, did I hear that Stoke had bloody scored - even the commentator on Talksport said it was a real smash & grab moment as Stoke had been poor.

As much as I like Smith in the team, Ugbo isn't a 10, which we've badly lacked again all season - yes, Windass can play that position but he's spent this campaign mostly injured and when he's played, I haven't really noticed him to be honest (barring 1st half vs Stoke)

As Hoyland said, this is still in our hands, we've 3 Cup Finals left - we'll beat Blackburn (my gut feeling) then we've got a massive game at S6 vs WBA.

All we ask if those players give it their best - keep fighting & keep going till the end.

19 minutes ago, Owling_Wolf said:

We need to realise where we presently are, figuratively speaking.  We're 0-4 down after the first leg.  Remember? 

But we're not playing a Peterborough team who thought they only had to rock up and then couldn't handle the pressure. 

We're playing a team still threatened with relegation and a team who've not secured the playoffs yet. Then Sunderland might have last day flip flops on but they're at home. 

I'm not being defeatist, just realistic in how each game should be approached

3 hours ago, Hirstys 12th Pint said:

Welcome to Buckinghamshire Online 😃

Much more interesting, I went to a concert at a smallish venue last night and in the bar after, spotted a woman who was quite pivotal in my erm teenage development and I suspect many others

Sadly fully attired compared to her days on Page 3 of The Sun - but its fair to say Linda Lusardi is still rather attractive. 

I was banned from talking to her by Mrs MK 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mkowl said:

Much more interesting, I went to a concert at a smallish venue last night and in the bar after, spotted a woman who was quite pivotal in my erm teenage development and I suspect many others

Sadly fully attired compared to her days on Page 3 of The Sun - but its fair to say Linda Lusardi is still rather attractive. 

I was banned from talking to her by Mrs MK 

Babbling, more like.  😉

Edited by Owling_Wolf

17 minutes ago, Owling_Wolf said:

Babbling, more like.  😉

I think it was because I said she should get an award for services to 1980's teenager lads 

But perhaps suggesting a pearl necklace was not my best idea

6 hours ago, owl4ever1867 said:

To be fair, I thought Famewo should've done better, Palmer sprinted and nearly blocked it, whilst Famewo just stuck a leg out.

In the 1st half, that was the most 1 sided game I've seen in a long time, how we weren't 2/3-0 up at that point I don't know.

Ugbo - should've scored, their keeper knew nothing about it.

Smith Goal disallowed (and still don't know why - their defender didn't even jump for the ball)

Smith - hitting the bar.

I'm not going to start blaming the officials - he weren't good yesterday, infact some of his decisions were mind blowing, we're on this position as we can't hit the net - despite creating chance after chance, you only have to see how many goals we've scored this season to see how we've struggled.

At half time I would've pulled Windass & put Gassama on, we  needed somebody to carry the ball and run at the Stoke defence, it was badly lacking throughout the game yesterday.

I saw Palmer score, then had to nip out for my Scan, no sooner did I get in the car & start driving, did I hear that Stoke had bloody scored - even the commentator on Talksport said it was a real smash & grab moment as Stoke had been poor.

As much as I like Smith in the team, Ugbo isn't a 10, which we've badly lacked again all season - yes, Windass can play that position but he's spent this campaign mostly injured and when he's played, I haven't really noticed him to be honest (barring 1st half vs Stoke)

As Hoyland said, this is still in our hands, we've 3 Cup Finals left - we'll beat Blackburn (my gut feeling) then we've got a massive game at S6 vs WBA.

All we ask if those players give it their best - keep fighting & keep going till the end.

Smiths goal was disallowed for Windass holding their keeper. 

• Like 2