He came and sat with us in The Beekeeper in Hillsborough before the Bristol City match a few weeks ago.  Was same old Ricky - blotto, firstly questioning if we were Wednesday and then once happy we were kept saying We're all Wednesday. 

My other Ricky memory is an Oldham away game many years ago he got on our mini bus and refused to get off.  As we were going to Stocksbridge he ended up with us in the pubs there for a couple of hours.  Remember him having a Gabrielle album in his pocket on cassette and made us play it in the mini bus !

RIP Ricky.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Hirstys 12th Pint said:

He came and sat with us in The Beekeeper in Hillsborough before the Bristol City match a few weeks ago.  Was same old Ricky - blotto, firstly questioning if we were Wednesday and then once happy we were kept saying We're all Wednesday. 

My other Ricky memory is an Oldham away game many years ago he got on our mini bus and refused to get off.  As we were going to Stocksbridge he ended up with us in the pubs there for a couple of hours.  Remember him having a Gabrielle album in his pocket on cassette and made us play it in the mini bus !

RIP Ricky.

The mini bus driver kept the Gabrielle cassette !  We eventually put Ricky on the Number 57 bus to Sheffield.

• Like 1

With him in beekeeper before Coventry league game, may have been first time a few in there encountered him by some of the looks. Was actually born in the sharrow/heeley area like myself (I know) sad news RIP.

I remember in the early 2000’s when I had an away season ticket and used to go away regularly. It was a typical London away trip, early train out of Wakefield with the other West Yorkshire Owls and then a tube from KX to Farringdon. There was a pub there which had reverse licensing hours called The Hope, so it was open 11pm to 11am. This was to accommodate the nearby workers at Smithfield Market, who worked through the night getting meat etc prepared for sale the next day.

Anyway, although this pub had reverse licensing hours you couldn’t just walk in, but because we were known it was usually just a knock on the door and in we went - except on one occasion it wasn’t quite that easy. Despite being around 8am, we knocked on the door as usual and it was Ricky who answered, absolutely pissed out of his brains. Straight away he gave it “Are ya Wednesday or what”, or words to that effect, and in his typically intimidating way. Soon as he realised we were he changed persona and let us in.

And 5 minutes later he was fast asleep in the corner! 😂

RIP Ricky - a proper character who, as has already been alluded to, most of us have encountered and have a tale or two to relay about him.

• Like 3

I have two stories.

One at Coventry in a Wetherspoons, we were in early (there were six of us). He comes up and asks if we are Wednesday; ‘Yes, Ricky we are.’ Five mins later, my round at the bar, bought six beers. He follows me up, picks two of the drinks up and walks off.

Another time away at Hartlepool when we won 5-0. He comes in absolutely hammered, sits down, falls asleep, wakes up just before half time, instead of taking the steps he decides to go down to the bottom of the stand by climbing over the seats and falls over in every single row. Stewards meet him at the bottom, gets ejected from the ground, but ends up back in the stand for the last 10 minutes after coming back in when they opened the exits!!!

• Like 2

It’s knocked me this news - known the lad for 30 plus years. Knew he’d had a an accident at weekend and knew it weren’t  good but being told today of the news and am upset.

He was no angel, he was a bloody nuisance but he was our nuisance. 

I’ve been speaking to mates all evening about him and we’re all rocked. I have 100’s of memories good bad and some just bloody hilarious!

He’d of been in his element tomorrow night out on the streets. Many ways he lived for Wednesday.

Lots are convinced he coined the WAWAW saying

Not often you’d say this about Ricky but I were fortunate to bump into him Saturday ! Just a shame I’ll never see him again - he was a good if annoying  mate to more than just me!

RIP 

🇯🇲🦉

• Like 5

29 minutes ago, EBRA said:

It’s knocked me this news - known the lad for 30 plus years. Knew he’d had a an accident at weekend and knew it weren’t  good but being told today of the news and am upset.

He was no angel, he was a bloody nuisance but he was our nuisance. 

I’ve been speaking to mates all evening about him and we’re all rocked. I have 100’s of memories good bad and some just bloody hilarious!

He’d of been in his element tomorrow night out on the streets. Many ways he lived for Wednesday.

Lots are convinced he coined the WAWAW saying

Not often you’d say this about Ricky but I were fortunate to bump into him Saturday ! Just a shame I’ll never see him again - he was a good if annoying  mate to more than just me!

RIP 

🇯🇲🦉

One of mates says he was down Rotherham on Saturday before game, obviously no ticket, probably turned up at a lot of away games with no ticket over years. 

You can bet he still got in ground at some point though, especially years ago.

41 minutes ago, bradowl said:

One of mates says he was down Rotherham on Saturday before game, obviously no ticket, probably turned up at a lot of away games with no ticket over years. 

You can bet he still got in ground at some point though, especially years ago.

Yep he was there was in pub with him.

Just an update Ricky fought to the very end when he was taking off life support.

He’s only just passed away tonight  it early as we all thought. Thats from his family. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

1 minute ago, Reesh said:

How the fuck can you not know Ricky.

I think I know who it is just wasn't 100% sure, I once went to Brighton away was having a pee in a boozer toilet and he came in and started puching the fook out of the cubicle door, fastes piss I've ever had 😆

1 minute ago, 80s Owl said:

I think I know who it is just wasn't 100% sure, I once went to Brighton away was having a pee in a boozer toilet and he came in and started puching the fook out of the cubicle door, fastes piss I've ever had 😆

There's a picture in the thread ffs 🙂

Saw him most mornings in Bentley as I drove out to Norton for work.  Would always wind me window down and shout "We're all Wednesday aren't we" at him

The train back to Donny after we lost to Huddersfield in the playoffs was "interesting " . Ricky wanted to take everybody on. He got kicked off at Mexborough I think 

RIP 

8 hours ago, Hirstys 12th Pint said:

The mini bus driver kept the Gabrielle cassette !  We eventually put Ricky on the Number 57 bus to Sheffield.

It's a good job the minibus driver kept the Gabrielle cassette. It might not have gone down too well when the 57 bus driver didn't play it!  

RIP

• Like 1

Really affected me hearing this yesterday, known him as many have for 30+ yrs. 

Not what i'd call a close mate but whenever we frequently bumped into each other we'd always have a chat & his usual " We all Wednesday or what / All Wednesday aren't we " .

As i'm sure everyone has - got so many memories / funny stories of Ricky it's unreal, never a dull moment in his company ever!.

He's got me into / out of (Mainly into) so many scrapes over the years.

Last time i saw in him 'action' was in Bankers draft last year against Rotherham when after one of there chants went up they were soon ditching there pints & quickly leaving. 

Going to miss you Pal & unreal i'll never here you say your 'catchphrases' again but your memory will always live on through them.

RIP Ricky - & i'll be raising a glass to you tonight & when we pass through Donny 'on way to Ipswich next week - All Wednesday aren't we' 

• Like 8

Always remember one of my first interactions with Ricky, away at Palace, end of the season, when we finished 3rd. 
We got there early, managed to get into some working men’s club thing for some ale. It was about 11am, and he was absolutely steaming just shouting…

WE’RE ALL WEDNESDAY. 🤣

RIP Ricky. 

I'm struggling to remember if this is the same Ricky or not

Derby County away when they beat us 1-0 under Brian Laws (90th minute winner). We were in a pub not far from their ground and a Ricky comes in saying there's an even better pub to go to in the city centre. We decide to follow him there as apparently a karaoke or something like that was about to happen.

Well it was a pretty crap pub to be fair and no karaoke so we walked out after one drink and headed back to where we were. Word got round that around 15 minutes after we left, Derbys' firm arrived in that pub and beat the crap out of him and a small minority of Wednesday fans that stayed. Quite glad we moved on

17 hours ago, Kiwi Owl said:

Derby County away when they beat us 1-0 under Brian Laws (90th minute winner). We were in a pub not far from their ground and a Ricky comes in saying there's an even better pub to go to in the city centre. We decide to follow him there as apparently a karaoke or something like that was about to happen.

Well it was a pretty crap pub to be fair and no karaoke so we walked out after one drink and headed back to where we were. Word got round that around 15 minutes after we left, Derbys' firm arrived in that pub and beat the crap out of him and a small minority of Wednesday fans that stayed. Quite glad we moved on

I had a very, very similar encounter to this and Ricky was stood at the door on his phone when we walked in, we left because there was only one young lad serving behind the bar, it was surrounded by riot vans when we passed it later.

On 10/03/2024 at 04:49, Kiwi Owl said:

Am pretty sure we where in said pub for this one - my recollection is slightly different though.

Our group about 6 of us where in this pub & Ricky phones one of lads asking him which boozer he was in & if it was any good. He said it was crap but they had a karaoke machine in corner & that was enough for Ricky, he was here with about 10/15 other lads he's dragged along promising birds / karaoke shortly after.

We'd been talking with a older local bloke who was on his own, Ricky was talking with a few lads playing pool & all seemed calm . After a while a few more locals came in & you could feel a bit of tension between Ricky & group playing pool, before all pool lads suddenly left leaving there drinks.

There was only about 10ish Wednesday in there now as some had already left. Next thing about 20 Derby burst into pub & about same outside, as they burst in local bloke sat with us told them to back off & no one gets hurt. 

Derby's lads tell us we've got 30 secs to get out or we're getting it, unfortunately one of our group was having a badly time toilet visit so we had to politely decline. Local bloke said we where all with him & for them to back down. 

Next thing our mate appeared with Ricky both completely oblivious to what was going on, Ricky then asks all Derby lot if there here for Karaoke & shouts We All Wednesday or What. I though that was going to be it but Derby lot never moved, next we see one copper outside shoving Derby lot away outside & next thing riot vans pulled up outside - we saw Ricky just walking away on his own outside not even sure he knew what had just happened .

Local bloke was joined by his Mrs & he bought us all a pint saying he admired how we all stuck together. Coppers after clearing derby lot out said we had to leave. Local bloke told them we where with him so they just stood outside until we finished drink. 

We thanked local bloke & left, Derby lot where just up road in another pub so coppers phoned us taxi's & we ended up somewhere else. 

No idea who that local bloke was but he some serious influence !!!!.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Retro Owl said:

Am pretty sure we where in said pub for this one - my recollection is slightly different though.

Our group about 6 of us where in this pub & Ricky phones one of lads asking him which boozer he was in & if it was any good. He said it was crap but they had a karaoke machine in corner & that was enough for Ricky, he was here with about 10/15 other lads he's dragged along promising birds / karaoke shortly after.

We'd been talking with a older local bloke who was on his own, Ricky was talking with a few lads playing pool & all seemed calm . After a while a few more locals came in & you could feel a bit of tension between Ricky & group playing pool, before all pool lads suddenly left leaving there drinks.

There was only about 10ish Wednesday in there now as some had already left. Next thing about 20 Derby burst into pub & about same outside, as they burst in local bloke sat with us told them to back off & no one gets hurt. 

Derby's lads tell us we've got 30 secs to get out or we're getting it, unfortunately one of our group was having a badly time toilet visit so we had to politely decline. Local bloke said we where all with him & for them to back down. 

Next thing our mate appeared with Ricky both completely oblivious to what was going on, Ricky then asks all Derby lot if there here for Karaoke & shouts We All Wednesday or What. I though that was going to be it but Derby lot never moved, next we see one copper outside shoving Derby lot away outside & next thing riot vans pulled up outside - we saw Ricky just walking away on his own outside not even sure he knew what had just happened .

Local bloke was joined by his Mrs & he bought us all a pint saying he admired how we all stuck together. Coppers after clearing derby lot out said we had to leave. Local bloke told them we where with him so they just stood outside until we finished drink. 

We thanked local bloke & left, Derby lot where just up road in another pub so coppers phoned us taxi's & we ended up somewhere else. 

No idea who that local bloke was but he some serious influence !!!!.

Wow!

The fund is up to about 5 bags now, I’ve got the details if anyone fancies lobbing a couple of quid towards his funeral. There’s a decent size wattsapp group set up, mainly hooligans and criminals in it but nice chaps.😀

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, Winco said:

The fund is up to about 5 bags now, I’ve got the details if anyone fancies lobbing a couple of quid towards his funeral. There’s a decent size wattsapp group set up, mainly hooligans and criminals in it but nice chaps.😀

Very honourable, but if you organise a whip round who do you trust to keep the float 🤐

• Haha 1

Stood next to me at the bar in The Globe before the play off final last May, and bought a pint of Amstel with a soaking wet fiver and lots of shrapnel, while every other fucker was doing contactless.  Bar staff not impressed.  Definitely a character.  Belatedly RIP.

Hi everyone,

Ricky was my uncle. Its so funny to read the stories about him and see how many people knew him! 

I'd always tease him, trying to take his hat off to mess with his dreads but he was like a mountain to me. A pissed up, laughing, singing WAWAW-chanting mountain :)

Thank you to everyone for their kind words, donations for the funeral and great stories. The support means the world to us. I'm going to keep checking some of the Wednesday forums for more stories about him. He could never get through a full story about what he'd been up to because he'd get distracted telling me about the game or he'd just start singing! 

-Cheri

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Chezzi said:

Hi everyone,

Ricky was my uncle. Its so funny to read the stories about him and see how many people knew him! 

I'd always tease him, trying to take his hat off to mess with his dreads but he was like a mountain to me. A pissed up, laughing, singing WAWAW-chanting mountain 🙂

Thank you to everyone for their kind words, donations for the funeral and great stories. The support means the world to us. I'm going to keep checking some of the Wednesday forums for more stories about him. He could never get through a full story about what he'd been up to because he'd get distracted telling me about the game or he'd just start singing! 

-Cheri

Welcome to OO.

He was a character and there's plenty of stories about him.

I 'copped' for him a few times over the years, he was a pain in the arse but in a loveable rogue way and will be missed

Oh yeah he definitely made his mark in the world! If anyone has any photos with him, I'd love to see them and show them to the rest of my family. I only have one really old photo of Uncle Ricky, my mum, grandad, Amelia (Ricky's daughter) and my two brothers and me. 

Also, something that always confused me about him, he was always at Wednesday games but I always thought he was banned from attending. How does such a massive bloke manage to get into games he's banned from?! Haha I guess you can't keep a man away from his beloved team! 

My mum told me he was the one who coined the 'we're all Wednesday aren't we' motto and I saw it mentioned in an article in the paper too, so I can confirm that. He was 60 when he passed and I'm not sure at what age he got into SWFC, so I'd guess the motto has been around for 40 or so years, give or take.

I've enjoyed reading the stories about him, its so easy to picture him getting into all the shit you guys mention! My mum could definitely tell me a story or two, as could Uncle Andy (his brother). 

Again, thank you all for sharing the love.

WAWAW :) 

27 minutes ago, Chezzi said:

Oh yeah he definitely made his mark in the world! If anyone has any photos with him, I'd love to see them and show them to the rest of my family. I only have one really old photo of Uncle Ricky, my mum, grandad, Amelia (Ricky's daughter) and my two brothers and me. 

Also, something that always confused me about him, he was always at Wednesday games but I always thought he was banned from attending. How does such a massive bloke manage to get into games he's banned from?! Haha I guess you can't keep a man away from his beloved team! 

My mum told me he was the one who coined the 'we're all Wednesday aren't we' motto and I saw it mentioned in an article in the paper too, so I can confirm that. He was 60 when he passed and I'm not sure at what age he got into SWFC, so I'd guess the motto has been around for 40 or so years, give or take.

I've enjoyed reading the stories about him, its so easy to picture him getting into all the shit you guys mention! My mum could definitely tell me a story or two, as could Uncle Andy (his brother). 

WAWAW 🙂

I’ve got loads on a wattsapp group for ya.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Chezzi said:

WAWAW 🙂

I always wondered this, seen him at many an away game but never at home.

10 hours ago, Chezzi said:

WAWAW 🙂

Quite a few fans that were banned used to go to the host of where Wednesday were playing but never went to the match.

As an example, a chap called Paul used to come with us on some away journeys but never attended the game whilst his sons did. He just found a pub and stayed there for the duration of the game. We'd then catch up with him after the game before heading back to Sheffield. 

Ricky may have been like that. Happily sit in a pub near where Wednesday are playing and wait there till the game finished. Then head back with away fans to Yorkshire.

3 hours ago, Kiwi Owl said:

Quite a few fans that were banned used to go to the host of where Wednesday were playing but never went to the match.

As an example, a chap called Paul used to come with us on some away journeys but never attended the game whilst his sons did. He just found a pub and stayed there for the duration of the game. We'd then catch up with him after the game before heading back to Sheffield. 

Ricky may have been like that. Happily sit in a pub near where Wednesday are playing and wait there till the game finished. Then head back with away fans to Yorkshire.

I mean for many away fans it's the 2 hours of football that spoils the rest of the day.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, 80s Owl said:

I always wondered this, seen him at many an away game but never at home.

I've seen him at home games over past couple of seasons, sitting in bottom corner of kop behind disabled area. 

13 hours ago, Kiwi Owl said:

He was drinking in Rotherham before we played them other week but he hadn't got a ticket. 

13 hours ago, Kiwi Owl said:

I remember doing that at Port Vale and QPR many moons ago. Difference is I had match tickets for both games and wasn’t banned from attending matches.

At the Port Vale game I actually got to the turnstile, said “fuck this” to the lads I was with (or words to that effect) turned round and went to find the nearest pub. Face on the copper stood next to the turnstile was an absolute picture!

Back then I loved going away, but the away days kept getting spoiled by having to watch Wednesday! 😂