Can Danny blitz Coventry...... Match Thread

After Holmesfields impressive run I've stepped back up to the plate.

Referee is Anthony Backhouse, he memorably reffed our 4-0 battering in the play offs last season and his last game in charge of us was Swansea away this season when we got humbled 3-0.

We've won 3 and lost 3 of the last 6 games he's reffed us

Head to Head record V Cov. 

Wednesday wins - 29

Draws - 23

Coventry City wins - 33

Last time out at S6 v Coventry. 

19th December 2020.. We won 1-0...

Just a little sidenote....

Since we dropped out of the Premier League, we've played Coventry eight times at home. Only lost one of those games.

It came in 2008, the visitors won 1-0, and the goal was scored by a future Owl... Clinton Morrison. 

Won't be an easy game this one, I didn't realise how well Coventry were doing until I saw the table, kudos to Mark Robins who's got the challenging for the playoffs again after the memorable run they had last season to the play offs final.

If we can play like we know we can, home advantage, I'll go 2-1 Wednesday 

Cadamarteri 

Bannan

20 year old left back/left sided defender Sam Reed back fit and called into training with first team squad. Very highly rated. We need a genuine left back. Fingers crossed he'll  shape up. 

Was starring for Brighhouse Town for 2 or 3 years in the NPL before switching to us in the summer.

Edited by Teddy Nickelarse

17 minutes ago, Teddy Nickelarse said:

20 year old left back/left sided defender Sam Reed back fit and called into training with first team squad. Very highly rated. We need a genuine left back. Fingers crossed he'll  shape up. 

Was starring for Brighhouse Town for 2 or 3 years in the NPL before switching to us in the summer.

Really? who knew

I thought Coventry looked really good when we played them before Christmas, we had a few moments in the second half but were well beaten, Sakamoto ran the show for them, this will be a tough one and a feel a draw may be the best we can hope for.

The Coventry game was only 2 Nil, with the 2nd in the 89th minute. And the first was when we took an age to replace Patterson and they scored after some piss poor defending 

Saying that they did dominate possession and we created very little. A home game might help with the attacking side but that then does seem to leave us exposed defensively. Can we strike a balance

On 17/01/2024 at 08:59, mkowl said:

I don't the ref could be faulted in the Peterborough game, that shambles was our own making 

He gave a pen against Valentin (?) in the Swansea game - didn't we get an apology 

Yes. That changed the game, not just the scoreline. Prior to that award we were doing ok and their crowd was getting on their backs.  (They still hadn't won a game then.)  

On 18/01/2024 at 21:55, Gleadless Owl said:

Free hit really like the Hull game. Would be happy with a point 

I disagree, every home game from now until the end of the season we have to try and win. A point would be no disaster but its our home form that will largely determine if we can stay imho.

Today is going to be very tough, think Leicester (Cov beat them recently) and Ipswich at home. Weve improved since those games but its going to be a huge win if we were to pull it off. After this Id say only Leeds and maybe WBA will be anywhere as difficult at home.

If Ugbo is ready to go then he starts and Bailey drops to the bench and gets on around 65-70 mins. Depending on the score and any possible formation changes he can cover across the front 3, especially if Musaba is off it again. 

Hopefully a tiring Cov back line has to deal with the pace and bulk of Bailey and that creates the gaps

That has to be the worse officiating I've seen so far this season.

I'm not saying we deserve to be winning or even drawing but Fletcher has been wacked all over the pitch & he's had no protection from the officials at all.

Need to step it up here if we have any chance of winning.

Some dogger displays out there for us so far. Ihiekwe, Windass and Fletcher have been pretty dreadful. Palmer has been crap in possession but good when they have it.

Not sure what Palmer was trying to do on the goal.

Fletcher is offering nothing, he’s not trying to turn them, he keeps coming short when everyone else is short.

Our full backs and seem our most likely threat at the minute. But, they are comfortable at the minute. That Kasey Palmer is a physical beast, we are bouncing off him.

1 minute ago, KrolMong said:

Some dogger displays out there for us so far. Ihiekwe, Windass and Fletcher have been pretty dreadful. Palmer has been crap in possession but good when they have it.

Fletcher is offering nothing, he’s not trying to turn them, he keeps coming short when everyone else is short.

Our full backs and seem our most likely threat at the minute. But, they are comfortable at the minute. That Kasey Palmer is a physical beast, we are bouncing off him.

Wanted Kasey Palmer at S6 ever since I saw him playing for Huddersfield on loan from Chelsea, he's bossed the midfield today

1 minute ago, KrolMong said:

It was Bannan who got turned on the edge and its a quality finish. One moment of any quality from either side so far 

Just now, owl4ever1867 said:

Wanted Kasey Palmer at S6 ever since I saw him playing for Huddersfield on loan from Chelsea, he's bossed the midfield today

Type of player we have lacked. Doesn't seem that Rohl is convinced by M Diaby in there 

1 minute ago, mkowl said:

It was Bannan who got turned on the edge and its a quality finish. One moment of any quality from either side so far 

I’m talking about Palmer trying to shepherd it back to the keeper from about 12 yards, that led to the rushed clearance.