Card...if we can win on Saturday the gap could be down to 3!

Otto_Man

44 minutes ago, Otto_Man said:

It's not "end of" though happy as it's not the first time he's made that mistake, did exactly the same thing against Millwall.

A good goalkeeper is going to be the difference between us staying up and going down IMO.

Another good performance today from the outfield players, particularly Palmer who I thought was very good (and I'm not a fan)

I don’t normally do this but you’ve annoyed me a bit.

How many times has he saved us with penalty saves or last minute saves good saves etc is it more than not? Stop getting at individuals the team lost not one player they all stick together as we should.

Famewo lost us the game if he’d have left it then Dawson saves.

Fletcher lost us the game cos he dived instead of taking the shot.

End of we move on Coventry next come on Wednesday Dawson is one of our own and I’m not turning against him in his time of need 

I genuinely cannot remember such an undeserved win in all my years of going to Hillsborough. We were the better team and even a point would have flattered them. But that’s how football goes sometimes.

As an ex keeper I will put my tin hat on and defend Dawson as both shots were deflected, the second just enough to stop him gathering it cleanly.

Thought Palmer, Vaulks, Bambo and Bannan were all very good today. Musaba kept giving the ball away in our half and had to go off in my view, was the right substitution.

Another awayer ref, yet again giving soft free kicks one way but not the other and bottling a penalty decision. It was a pen, no argument, although Fletcher could probably have stayed on his feet.
And Perry Ng is, always has been and always will be a horrible cheating c**t, absolute disgrace of a player.

1 hour ago, HappyOwl said:

How many times has he saved us with penalty saves or last minute saves good saves etc is it more than not? Stop getting at individuals the team lost not one player they all stick together as we should.

End of we move on Coventry next come on Wednesday Dawson is one of our own and I’m not turning against him in his time of need 

Agree. A few reasons why we lost today in spite of clearly being the better team. Swapping Gassama  for Musaba being one. Also Danny gambling on swapping 1 point for 3 has worked before but today contributed to costing us the one IMO. Palmer was defending well, Valentin has something going forward but very suspect defensively. We also didn't make the most of some dangerous situations  - a failing which will likely  only be resolved by bringing in a bit more quality in January.

First goal seemed to be deflected across and out of Dawson's reach but would like to see it from behind the goal. Can't clearly see whether he  should have done better. Second, yes spilled the shot and Cardiff got a bit of luck with the ricochet but Dawson should have saved the initial shot which cost us a point.  

Harsh result but overall we played pretty well. Tough it out 'til January and see what the window brings. 

2 hours ago, Tylluan said:

Vasquez played 9 games, did no worse than Dawson and in some cases looked better. So I'm wondering if there's a 10 game clause in his loan contract. Could be anything from a large bonus paid to player or Milan to we have to keep him for the full season or even buy him. 

Cos with Dawson constantly dropping bollocks there's got to be something 'stopping' Vasquez from coming back in. 

Said exactly the same thing as we left the ground. I've previously been very pro Dawson, but it's becoming increasingly frustrating watching him get the basics wrong week in, week out. There's not a goalkeeper on here can tell me he got his angles right for that first goal whether it took a deflection or not. Alnwick showed you how it should be done with the save from Johnson.

1 hour ago, HappyOwl said:

Sorry Happy but one of our own doesn't cut it. He's a professional footballer, it's his job, and unfortunately he's not consistently good enough at this level. Fletcher didn't cost us the game. It would still have been 2 points dropped as we'd have only drawn. The unfortunate part of this is we don't have a forward line that can compensate for mistakes made by either keeper we currently have in the first team squad.

@Otto_Man is right. A better keeper will get us 10+ more points than Dawson or Vasquez 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, HoylandOwl said:

So so disappointing that today. Just how we threw it away. 
After getting the opener with a fantastic team goal and finish, we controlled it. Completely. At half time we were saying they were shit, didn’t look like they knew how to deal with our pressing game and created nothing. 

I didn’t even think we’d rue the missed chances as it just felt like one would go in, and that would be that. But obviously that wasn’t the case. 

Vaulks is player of the month for December for me, he again had a solid game, Bannan too. Another good performance. As well as Bailey, who was only missing a goal to cap off another positive outing. 

The ref was abysmal. For both sides at times. I’m not having the ‘soft’ pen not being given at all, we were in front of it. Fletcher’s shirt was undoubtedly pulled and quite a lot. It just happened very quickly. He was in. Absolutely zero need for him to go down otherwise. 
The second one, didn’t look like pen from our angle. 

Dawson. Job done for me now. While Vasquez isn’t the answer long term IMO, I’d be surprised if he isn’t give a shot now. The second goal was unforgivable. There’s so much he could have done even if he didn’t think he could have held it. Push it out for a corner… not to mention get up quicker than a sloth to the rebound. 

Thankfully, the other teams above us ballsed up. That’s the only real positive we can take regarding the result. But there are plenty of positives from the performance in general.

Still a long way to go. 

Good summary Tex and agree with the bit in bold, if he'd reacted quicker and smothered the ball we'd have a point on the board.

There is a great TV angle of the Johnson shot and save. Which shows their keeper was absolutely in the right place and indeed also pushed it for a corner rather into the danger area

There goes football, we got 2 recent wins which our performance probably did not warrant it, you play well and then lose.

I did question whether Rohl could get the squad to be on par in the Championship, I think that is the case. So now we are at the mercy of the Championship, where a touch of quality or an error is the difference. And what hopefully can be addressed in January

• Like 1

I think I was being too kind to Dawson on the second goal. But the first one is in no way his fault, he is correctly leaving a shot that’s going wide and then gets diverted in the corner. Very unfortunate goal to concede. 
Their manager is absolutely deluded if he can’t see that his team completely spozzed a win. 

Dawson absolutely at fault for the second but unlucky for the first. I was sat right behind it, the deflection takes it closer to the goal which is why it looks like he’s so slow to get down to it, he’s trying to correct his dive. 

Still, a new keeper has to be the first priority in January 

4 minutes ago, Chelters said:

I think I was being too kind to Dawson on the second goal. But the first one is in no way his fault, he is correctly leaving a shot that’s going wide and then gets diverted in the corner. Very unfortunate goal to concede. 
Their manager is absolutely deluded if he can’t see that his team completely spozzed a win. 

The first I agree. Watching on the stream it was a how did that go in moment. Their player was quite wide so Dawson would have been near post. I guess the criticism is that a good keeper would be on their toes anticipating a potential deflection. 

It was fortunate for them for sure, but we were at Stoke really and the QPR game was an out of jail game.

A defeat can occasionally make you more optimistic for the future than a win. Generally if we can keep up those performances and eliminate game changing errors then we have a fighting chance

41 minutes ago, mkowl said:

The first I agree. Watching on the stream it was a how did that go in moment. Their player was quite wide so Dawson would have been near post. I guess the criticism is that a good keeper would be on their toes anticipating a potential deflection. 

It was fortunate for them for sure, but we were at Stoke really and the QPR game was an out of jail game.

A defeat can occasionally make you more optimistic for the future than a win. Generally if we can keep up those performances and eliminate game changing errors then we have a fighting chance

Yeah I left feeling quite positive yesterday, just annoyed that the luck deserted us against a beatable team. 

I've slept on it, reflected on it, watched it back and I'm still convinced Camlamity Dawson cost us 3 points yesterday.

And as for this "what about when he's made saves that have won us games" that's bullshit, he had 2 saves to make all game yesterday, 2 and he didn't make either one.

Looks no better than when we he played in the championship last time and Jos hung him out to dry. No malice towards him, wish him well, wouldn't be a terrible no 2 here, but our survival will depend on having a goalkeeper who can actually make saves...

• Like 1

We know where we are short, and yesterday just highlighted that. 

We’ve got a monstrous goalkeeping issue that is a priority. We need two full backs, we need an extra centre half. We need a goal threat in midfield, we possibly need a number 10, and we need one, if not two, strikers to complement both Cadamarteri and Windass. A decent keeper might get us an additional 8 points between now and May and we need another player to come and score 1 in 2.

I think the Dawson criticisms are being overplayed personally, though clearly the second goal was due to his rick and cost us a point. There were other factors yesterday too. Wasteful up front. Substitutions contributed too. And Carfiff got the breaks that perhaps we've had of late.

Yes we need another keeper of required standard in January..... Vasquez almost certainly going back which is why I expect Dawson to play at Coventry. We also need a striker plus someone who can chip in with goals from midfield and a left wing back -  Johnson is hugely improved  under Röhl but we need another one to compete.

17 hours ago, HoylandOwl said:

Fletcher’s shirt was undoubtedly pulled and quite a lot. It just happened very quickly. He was in. Absolutely zero need for him to go down otherwise.

There is one great need for him to go down though, and that is because he's shite and has absolutely no confidence in himself to score, free shot or otherwise.

Therefore, in true modern day footballer fashion, he'd much rather go down in a heap and attempt to win a penalty than face the wrath of the paying punters for the inevitable miss.

It's also win-win for him as he can pass on the responsibility for the penalty to a teammate and let them deal with the booing if the goalkeeper guesses right.

Spineless ***** like Fletcher shouldn't be on a football pitch, unless they're taking part in the HT fun and games, or sweeping the rain off with a mop.

11 hours ago, Snap said:

I always think some supporters want to see "one of our own" fail for the sole reason that the player got the chance that they didn't. I also think that some supporters will back "one of our own" beyond what is acceptable. 

I can’t see this being the case. While there does seem at times a certain scapegoat nature about our ‘support’ towards home grown players. While CD and Liam Palmer have had stick, It isn’t always the case that it’s just limited to ‘our own‘.

Ashley Fletcher being the case in point. 

it’s more if the performances are deemed good enough, then the vitriol appears.