Folklore Goals

Skamp

On 23/04/2022 at 07:27, mkowlthesexynewversion said:

The Varadi goal is a folklore goal where I was in the stadium but never actually saw go in.

First goal I ever saw Ken Knighton v Bolton 74 saved us from relegation 

I will go for another Varadi goal as well v Forest first ever top flight game i saw in 84 

I was gonna say Varadi vs Forest. Cracking run and finish following a Forest corner if it’s the one I’m thinking of.

15 hours ago, owl4ever1867 said:

Not a Wednesday goal but one I've always remembered is a goal at S6 in 1992 by a Chelsea player called Graham Stewart.

Picked up the ball in his own half proceeded to carry the ball, took on 3/4 players & put the ball pass Chris Woods at the Kop end.

Would that be Graham Stuart? 

On 23/04/2022 at 07:27, mkowlthesexynewversion said:

The Varadi goal is a folklore goal where I was in the stadium but never actually saw go in.

First goal I ever saw Ken Knighton v Bolton 74 saved us from relegation 

I will go for another Varadi goal as well v Forest first ever top flight game i saw in 84 

That Varadi goal against Forest was the first game back in the top flight after the 84 promotion.  Won 3-1, that was the goal that wrapped it up.  The 13 year old me was somewhere at the bottom of the East Bank.

I don't think this one has been suggested but was a beauty.

Sheltons overhead kick from near the edge of the box away at Newcastle the season we got promoted to Div 1. Just remember the mayhem when it went in. I was stood right behind the goal more or less in line with him.

Edited by Tank_Owl2,0

Just watched the highlights of that Forest game to remind myself of what happened.  Eventful.  Zico’s twice taken penalty, both to the keeper’s left when he went the wrong way.  Hodge going walk about for the equaliser.  Varadi’s 70 yard run and screamer in top corner. Then Pearson’s…whatever that was.  🤣

On 28/04/2022 at 22:09, Reesh said:

Di Piedi at Brum, about 700 of us there 

I was in the corporate boxes ...we somehow blagged a space in the AutoWindscreens box......went absolutely mental when di Piedi scored....ended up in a heap on the floor.....

That was when he took the corner flag out and started waving it around.....was also the day England played a WC qualifier a couple of hours later.....at Old Trafford if memory serves.....

1 minute ago, MPB said:

I was in the corporate boxes ...we somehow blagged a space in the AutoWindscreens box......went absolutely mental when di Piedi scored....ended up in a heap on the floor.....

That was when he took the corner flag out and started waving it around.....was also the day England played a WC qualifier a couple of hours later.....at Old Trafford if memory serves.....

Anfield but rest is spot on

On 05/05/2022 at 12:16, owl71 said:

That Varadi goal against Forest was the first game back in the top flight after the 84 promotion.  Won 3-1, that was the goal that wrapped it up.  The 13 year old me was somewhere at the bottom of the East Bank.

This was the goal that sprung to mind as soon as I saw this topic.  It wasn't often I went in the North but was high up towards Leppings Lane end. 

Did Sterland score a similar type of goal v someone ?

10 minutes ago, Owling_Wolf said:

He scored vs Arsenal at home when Hodge rolled it out to him on corner of our box. He went all the way to their box and blasted it home. We went in at h.t. 3-0 up.  He allegedly burst into tears in the dressing room when told that the film cameraman had missed it.

I think we drew 3-3.  

Didn't Merson have a blinder? 

17 minutes ago, Owling_Wolf said:

He scored vs Arsenal at home when Hodge rolled it out to him on corner of our box. He went all the way to their box and blasted it home. We went in at h.t. 3-0 up.  He allegedly burst into tears in the dressing room when told that the film cameraman had missed it.

I think we drew 3-3.  

Cheers Fred.  Can't believe I could not remember the game. 

2 hours ago, Sheffieldblue said:

I was working in Lincoln. Left work at 5 to 3, listened to sterlands's goal on radio sheffield.  Got to Hillsborough at half time and couldn't get it. Finally got in 10 minutes from time to see arsenal get a last minute goal to complete a 3 goal comeback to draw 3-3

Bloody part timer!   🙂

• 10 months later...
13 minutes ago, owl71 said:

Just read this thread again.  No mention of Miguel Llera…the free kick at Hudders, and the incredibly important header at Griffin Park.

Both worthy mentions....

What about Stefanovic at Chelsea

I've re read the thread and I ll say it again.

Sterlands penalty to seal promotion to the top flight.

Side footed to the right in front of the kop.

I was on the kop that day.

Decent attendance, probs circa 30k.

As a side note I was also at the home game against Man City a couple of games later.

To be fair to them the city fans were chanting at times.

We're staying down , we're staying down, you're not.

Fair play albeit nearly 30 years ago, different landscape now

Edited by Lee
Typo